ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009 

Post#21 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm

this is going to be a tough one. judging on how we played them in pre season, this is a terrible match up for us. we let them shoot 55% and 57% from the field and from 3 respectively. we were out rebounded by 9 on the defensive end and only shot 42% and 33%. we were without gil and mm but blatche started and didnt do a good job defensively on jsmooth. we also had a solid defensive starting line up of ds foye cb ab and wood but still allowed everyone in their starting 5 but bibby (9) to score in double digits in very limited minutes. on paper this looks like its going to be an easy win for the hawks. with that being said im calling wiz win by 6. i expect caron to rebound after last games weak showing and gil to exploit bibby's weak man to man defense. we can also count on mm contributing more since foul trouble kept him out of the majority of the last one.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,544

Post#22 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't like Oberto's matchup with the starting unit, but he'll do fine against Zaza and Joe Smith off the bench.

Exactly, that would be the best match-up for O. I hope O get's the quick hook if he is getting abused often and early.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#23 » by Soup's Uncle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:06 pm

I wish this game was on tonight.
F Street = Wall Street
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#24 » by jholmbe1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:09 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:this is going to be a tough one. judging on how we played them in pre season, this is a terrible match up for us. we let them shoot 55% and 57% from the field and from 3 respectively. we were out rebounded by 9 on the defensive end and only shot 42% and 33%. we were without gil and mm but blatche started and didnt do a good job defensively on jsmooth. we also had a solid defensive starting line up of ds foye cb ab and wood but still allowed everyone in their starting 5 but bibby (9) to score in double digits in very limited minutes. on paper this looks like its going to be an easy win for the hawks. with that being said im calling wiz win by 6. i expect caron to rebound after last games weak showing and gil to exploit bibby's weak man to man defense. we can also count on mm contributing more since foul trouble kept him out of the majority of the last one.

Let's not talk about last year. We are an entirely different team with a good coach, I'd like to think that whatever happened last year means absolutely nothing.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#25 » by MJG » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Maybe I'm just making up for my lack of confidence going into game one, but I think we take this one. I do think it'll be tighter, but I think we pull it out in the last minute or two.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#26 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:31 pm

I agree with MJG, and this is solely based on Arenas. Whenever the Mavs made a run Arenas would take the ball, calm the team, set the offense, and make a play. Arenas will keep the game close and during crunch time he'll raise his game, just like he did on Tuesday.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#27 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:45 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:this is going to be a tough one. judging on how we played them in pre season, this is a terrible match up for us. we let them shoot 55% and 57% from the field and from 3 respectively. we were out rebounded by 9 on the defensive end and only shot 42% and 33%. we were without gil and mm but blatche started and didnt do a good job defensively on jsmooth. we also had a solid defensive starting line up of ds foye cb ab and wood but still allowed everyone in their starting 5 but bibby (9) to score in double digits in very limited minutes. on paper this looks like its going to be an easy win for the hawks. with that being said im calling wiz win by 6. i expect caron to rebound after last games weak showing and gil to exploit bibby's weak man to man defense. we can also count on mm contributing more since foul trouble kept him out of the majority of the last one.

You could have made the same basic argument before the Dallas game. Judging by the preseason, Dallas should have destroyed us.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#28 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm

closg00 wrote:Bibby is a much better PG than Bera. The Wizards have had real problems matching-up with fast, athletic teams so this one should be a good early test to see what we are made of. This might be a good game for McGee to get some minutes in. The Hawks will out-rebound us so we need another hot-shooting night.

True. The athletic team had been a problem.

Here is what's different.

We have a healthy Gil back. That makes us more athletic.
We are not going to be playing AJ, that also makes us more athletic at PF.
You can play Foye reliably instead of James, Nick, DS or CB at SG.
MM at SG or SF provides better range then we have had in my memory and he can handle the ball.
We have Haywood and Blatche combo in the paints. Much taller and more athletic then DSong or AJ
And maybe McGee if needed. The tall kid can run like the wind.
Only remaining piece that would held even more would be to have Critter healthy cuz he can run.
We have a coach that understands all of this.

This isn't your Daddies Wizards.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by GilArenas88 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Going to basically said what nate said. For this game, we need solid performances from both Wood and Butler. Both while certainly didn't play perfect, could turn in much better performances. Again Gil is always key, keeping up our defensive effort, and a solid performance from our bench. This game will probably be a close one, we need to bring that same concentration, poise, and veteran leadership we had in the game in Dallas.

Prediction 98-94 Wiz of course
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#30 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:03 pm

jholmbe1 wrote:

Let's not talk about last year. We are an entirely different team with a good coach, I'd like to think that whatever happened last year means absolutely nothing.

And the year before that. And the year before that...
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#31 » by DaRealHibachi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:16 pm

I see us beating them 101-89... I'd be surprised if any of those Hawks can do what Dirk did to us... There just aren't any elite scorers on that team...

Also, like was said before, we won in Dallas without having great games from both Wood and CB, so they are due for this one, coming out extra hard and focused to carry the team, both on O and D...

My guess is that Arenas will probably take a back seat scoring (around 20) and will be setting up CB & A Milli to do damage.. If Arenas and Blatche can give us Tuesday's hustle & effort on D, this game is ours...
:beer: Magnumt
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,544

Post#32 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:I see us beating them 101-89... I'd be surprised if any of those Hawks can do what Dirk did to us... There just aren't any elite scorers on that team...

Also, like was said before, we won in Dallas without having great games from both Wood and CB, so they are due for this one, coming out extra hard and focused to carry the team, both on O and D...

My guess is that Arenas will probably take a back seat scoring (around 20) and will be setting up CB & A Milli to do damage.. If Arenas and Blatche can give us Tuesday's hustle & effort on D, this game is ours...

I hear what you're sayin, but Dallas was out-coached and they were flat. It will be high-tempo ball tomorrow night and ATL rightfully deserves their high ranking. Gotta give ATL the edge. If we beat them, we will have everyones attention for-sure.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#33 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:40 pm

The Mavs have one elite scorer with a bunch of below average scorers. The Hawks have lots of average to good scorers. The Hawks will be a tougher defensive match up for the Wiz than the Mavs. I remember the Mavs missing several open shots throughout the game. I don't believe the Hawks will do the same.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that Butler and Haywood will be better Friday than they were Tuesday. I also think Gil is locked in. He'll control the game and make the right plays when necessary.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#34 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:03 pm

Since these two teams will most likely have the 4th/5th seed, this is an important game to see how we match-up against the team we are most likely to meet in the first round.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#35 » by FreeBalling » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:I wonder it this is a game in-which Orberto might be in for a bad match-up?

Maybe so. Fouls could be a problem early on.

If Blatche doesn't look great, I'd love to see McGee at PF with Haywood at C against the Hawks.

Hell, we could move Blatche to PG. He sometimes reverts back to his playground days of thinking he's a PG.

Opps what was I thinking. Maybe going super big like.

Haywood - C
Blatche - PF
McGee - 2nd PF playing SF
DMac - SG
Arenas PG

Thinking out side the box.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#36 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 pm

I feel a double digit Wizards win. Arenas is by far the best player on the floor. And our deep bench will give them fits. I can see Jamal Crawford having a big game for the Hawks but in the end our toughness and shooting will be too much for the Hawks.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#37 » by tontoz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:08 am

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:Since these two teams will most likely have the 4th/5th seed, this is an important game to see how we match-up against the team we are most likely to meet in the first round.

Yeah i can definitely see these two teams fighting for the 4th seed.

I watched you guys play Dallas. I live in Md and grew up as a Bullets fan so i still follow the team casually. Arenas definitely looked good. That trade with Minny should really pay off.

Foye looked good as well. the hawks could have drafted him (or Brandon Roy) but chose the immortal Shelden Williams instead.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#38 » by sfam » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 am

I think we all are still wondering whether the opener was a mirage out of our fantasies or will this be what we can expect as the year progresses. Gawd is it great having a real coach and stuff! If I were Atlanta, I'd be lots more afraid of the Wizards than we will be of them. They must be thinking what we are - "Are these guys really that good?" Cause if they are...dayam!

In short, I'm fairly optimistic that we give them a good game. Even if we hold their shooting percentage down, I fully expect Atlanta to stay with us until the very end.
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#39 » by omegatronic3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 am

this is pretty much an even matcheup....I actually think this is a gamer we dont necessarily miss Jamison because atlanta presents some tough matcheups for him.

Bibby sure as heck cant contain arenas and Haywood should contain the Atlanta front line. Smith is a tough matcheup
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#40 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:35 am

I've got the Wiz slotted as a 4 or 5 seed against the Hawks come mid April so while it's way early in the season, this game (to me) has some postseason implications in terms of home court advantage. I think both teams will finish the season off with near identical records so it would be nice to get a victory tomorrow to get a leg up in the season series/ tiebreaker (if necessary) race. Sounds a bit crazy now in October but this might be one of those "If only/ what if" games come playoff time.

I'm hoping for a W but am not all that confident about our chances on the road against a division foe that I consider (at the moment) on par with us.

Regardless, I'll be glued to the tube tomorrow night.

Go Wiz. Our time. 7 day dray. Woodshaq Johnson. Cavs suck etc. etc.

Return to Washington Wizards