ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009 

Post#201 » by P'Oed » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:14 pm

I was mad about the loss last night like everyone else but thinking about it now, there was no way we were going to be allowed to win that thing last night. The FT differential was pretty ridiculous. Not to mention that the ball looked like it was slicked with Crysco the way guys were losing it off the dribble. 1-1 on a tough opening road trip ain't too bad.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#202 » by fishercob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:33 pm

One other thing. I hated Gil's defense late in the 4Q. I'm hoping it was that he was just tired, but on a couple of late possessions, he literally stood in a half-stance and watched instead of textbook help and recover movement.

Hoping he was just gassed.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#203 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:52 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I watched the game online and the Hawks broadcast team is one of the worst in the entire league. Wilkins might be the worst color man in all of sports broadcast. He provides little to no insight and he's more rough than BMitch with a mike. I actually muted the game just so I didn't have to hear him speak. Which leads me to appreciate and respect Chanier much more. He's such a great student of the game, provides so much knowledge, and is easy on the ears.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#204 » by LyricalRico » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:53 pm

fishercob wrote:One other thing. I hated Gil's defense late in the 4Q. I'm hoping it was that he was just tired, but on a couple of late possessions, he literally stood in a half-stance and watched instead of textbook help and recover movement.

Hoping he was just gassed.

I've actually been surprised at Gil's minutes, especially him playing playing all first quarter and into the second quarter. I thought he might be brought along a bit more slowly. Maybe he should play less in the first half so that he has more left in the 4th?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#205 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:19 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Haywood really sucked. We need to give McGee alot more minutes. Haywood has no offensive post coordination and he is still a poor defensive rebounder and almost no explosiveness getting off the ground to shot block. He has lost of alot of what the defining charateristics that made him dominant two years ago. the first was that he had very coordinated hook shot post move. second he was able to consistently hit the mid range jumper on pick and rolls, and he was also far more mobile going after defensive rebounds. time has caused haywood to become even more stiff moving his body and leaping for defensive rebounds. that is what really killed us. Blatche was the only big that caused double teams in the post.

That's the true real problem. Butler has lost all of the explosive athleticism he used to have when he sued to finish in traffic with dunks when he first got here. We don't have a sg or sf that can finish with a dunk in traffic. Nick is pathetic with a weak body. foye is a 6'0 pg trying to play shooting guard. Mike is a player that kills you on perimeter if you have a post player that can create a double team. Haywood can't do that. Flip should be developing his offense to force defenses to double on McGee and Blatche. arenas and foye are not going to take over at will anymore because refs are not calling hand check calls like they did 3 years ago when arenas was playing.

WD, I see Haywood doing not as well, but I'm not so sure about why. Haywood did roll an ankle in preseason. He's looked fine on dunks after feeds from Gil, but has also looked stiff as you alluded, WD. Not sure if his ankle's totally okay is one observation. Second, Haywood certainly doesn't seem to be squaring up well on the face up jumper and he's not looking steady at the FT line. Paging Hopla. Third, I'm wondering whether his increased offense in Flip's system is taking away from his dedication to being a defensive player like he was under EJ. Fourth, even Flip's defensive strategy with perimeter players actually playing defense would tend to decrease the heroic level of defese Haywood had to play in the past. So, WD I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I do know a lot is different with Haywood. (Another thing I know for sure is Javale is way more athletic than Brendan.)

WD, about Butler what I've noticed is with the pounds he shed he's not as powerful. He's quicker and looked good slashing in preseason. He's also put a lot of energy into defending. I haven't seen this offense work for him the way EJs did in the past. Also, Gil's been the guy with the ball. Just through the first two games I've seen Miller be the secondary facilitator, not Caron.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#206 » by LyricalRico » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:WD, about Butler what I've noticed is with the pounds he shed he's not as powerful. He's quicker and looked good slashing in preseason. He's also put a lot of energy into defending. I haven't seen this offense work for him the way EJs did in the past. Also, Gil's been the guy with the ball. Just through the first two games I've seen Miller be the secondary facilitator, not Caron.

Not only that, but Caron seems to be lost in Flip's ball-sharing system. He's still in the one-on-one mode of EJ's offense. It's like the ball just stops when it gets to Butler. The offense seems to flow a lot better when he's not out there.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#207 » by jimij » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 pm

As far as Haywood, let's remember he pretty much missed all of last year so there's probably a little rust to shake off. He's not perfect but he's still damn good. Atlanta in a lot of ways is just a bad matchup for us because they are across the board more athletic than us on the front line (unless McGee is in). We can't expect everyone to play perfectly right off the bat.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#208 » by fishercob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:WD, about Butler what I've noticed is with the pounds he shed he's not as powerful. He's quicker and looked good slashing in preseason. He's also put a lot of energy into defending. I haven't seen this offense work for him the way EJs did in the past. Also, Gil's been the guy with the ball. Just through the first two games I've seen Miller be the secondary facilitator, not Caron.

Not only that, but Caron seems to be lost in Flip's ball-sharing system. He's still in the one-on-one mode of EJ's offense. It's like the ball just stops when it gets to Butler. The offense seems to flow a lot better when he's not out there.

Give Caron time. In fact, give everyone some time. When he's comfortable, Caron is a great dual threat scorer/set-up guy. Miller played an entire pre-season just knocking down open 3's, rebounding and setting up his talented teammates. Now he's going to called upon to score more. It's an adjustment.
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#209 » by fishercob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm

jimij wrote:As far as Haywood, let's remember he pretty much missed all of last year so there's probably a little rust to shake off. He's not perfect but he's still damn good. Atlanta in a lot of ways is just a bad matchup for us because they are across the board more athletic than us on the front line (unless McGee is in). We can't expect everyone to play perfectly right off the bat.

Agreed, and co-sign on nate's point: how spoiled are we that people are botching about Haywood after he turned in 19 and 9? Haywood will be fine. Now just pray for health,
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#210 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Anyone got the chat link

BLATTTTTTTTTTTTTCHE BICHT
hands11
Banned User

Post#211 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 pm

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMME

That was sick Gil
hands11
Banned User

Post#212 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 1, 2009 1:40 am

If we can get 12 or so minutes for McGee a game, that really going to help us later in the year.

Thats still our whole. We need deep at center and I dont want it to be Blatche moving there so we need McGee to develop. That the story behind the story.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#213 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 1, 2009 1:45 am

Ummm...are you watching a replay of the Hawks game or something? There is a separate thread for the New Jersey game.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#214 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sun Nov 1, 2009 4:05 am

LyricalRico wrote:Ummm...are you watching a replay of the Hawks game or something? There is a separate thread for the New Jersey game.

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing, what was going on here? DAAAAAME

Return to Washington Wizards