ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SAUCERY_SWEET
Senior
And1: 1

Re: Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009 

Post#41 » by SAUCERY_SWEET » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:24 am

fishercob wrote:If we can outscore them, I think we have a great shot to win.

If we can score more points than them then we may win the game. :rofl:
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#42 » by verbal8 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 am

sfam wrote:I think we all are still wondering whether the opener was a mirage out of our fantasies or will this be what we can expect as the year progresses.

I think at the end of next week we should have an idea of where the Wizards are headed this season. They will have played 6 games and none of them against teams that are unbeatable or terrible. If the Wizards are 5-1 at that point(or 6-0) and the Cavs are still struggling, the Wizards are shooting for the 3rd spot. At 4-2 or 3-3 I think they are about where most of us expected. At 2-4 or 1-5, it becomes obvious the curse is as bad for the Wizards as it is for the Clippers. At 0-6 they defy the laws of statistics.

sfam wrote: Gawd is it great having a real coach and stuff!

Saunders is definitely the coach to take the Wizards to becoming a serious play-off team. I am sure there will be times he won't look as good as he has to this point. However I don't see coaching blunders that are obvious even to a casual fan.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#43 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:10 am

FreeBalling wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:I wonder it this is a game in-which Orberto might be in for a bad match-up?

Maybe so. Fouls could be a problem early on.

If Blatche doesn't look great, I'd love to see McGee at PF with Haywood at C against the Hawks.

Hell, we could move Blatche to PG. He sometimes reverts back to his playground days of thinking he's a PG.

Opps what was I thinking. Maybe going super big like.

Haywood - C
Blatche - PF
McGee - 2nd PF playing SF
DMac - SG
Arenas PG

Thinking out side the box.

FreeBalling, that's a bit farther out of the box than I would go, but I wouldn't be mad at Flip for trying it.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#44 » by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:24 am

that's a bit farther out of the box than i would go but i wouldn't be mad at Flip for trying

that's what she said?
Bullets -> Wizards
newslowsad
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#45 » by newslowsad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:08 am

Caron shows up and we pull out a W.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#46 » by Joel Embust » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 am

Let's see if Dray is for real. Two good games in a row? We'll find out later today.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#47 » by Rafael122 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

We're probably going to lose, but at least I know we won't lose b/c we were outcoached.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#48 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 pm

jholmbe1 wrote:Image

Starters

Reserves
ImageImageImage

Starters

Reserves

Key Matchups

The Hawks forced 25 turnovers last night, was that more to do with the Hawks D or the Pacers carelessness? We know from years of Eddie Jordan that gambling defenses like the Hawks are prone to give up a lot of points so this could be a high scoring game.

I did not see much of the Hawks game last night, was too busy enjoying watching the Cavs lose again, but from what I did see Horford looked pretty good (24 points, 16 boards, 4 assists, 2 blocks). Nobody else on the Hawks rebounded though, with Bibby pulling in the second most boards on the team with 4. If we can pound the boards like we did against the Mavs we could really do some damage.

I also expect 7-day-Dray to comeback down to earth a little but I also think that Caron's shooting will improve. Great opportunity for the Wiz to prove themselves again on the road against a team many thought would finish ahead of them in the Southeast.

All white guys look the same.. LOL MM and Berto look like brothers.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#49 » by Soup's Uncle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:42 pm

I think this will be a much tougher game than Dallas. This is a young, athletic Hawks team. I see Oberto getting subbed out early for Blatche.
F Street = Wall Street
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,544

Post#50 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Combined with who he didn't play against the Mavericks -- Nick Young and Mike James both received dreaded DNP-CDs (did not play, coach's decision) on Tuesday -- Saunders gave an indication of how he plans to utilize his deep roster this season. Or did he?

"I think I can change it," Saunders said. "JaVale [McGee] has played extremely well ... Now we're playing a team [Atlanta] that relies more with athletic ability, where a guy like JaVale should have an impact."

:clap: Ahh, what a difference a coaching change makes. We have a coach that understands that match-ups may alter his normal rotation, something EJ never understood the entire time he was here.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#51 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:01 pm

I think Dray and CB will be challenged by the more athletic Hawks. As I said before, not having AJ is actually a good thing for this game. This is the type of game Id rather see Haywood and Blatche up front.

Dray will have to use this size and I think he will do ok. CB may struggle again. I think we will see more of NY. He can run with these guys. I also think we may see more McGee.

Gil will come out getting Haywood involved early where we give them some body shots. We will then start to spread it around with MM having a higher scoring game nailing about 4 or so 3s. Foye will play an important roll again. About 15 pts. But NY will give us about 12 pts. We will try DMAC and DSleez on their JJ but neither can score enough to help. It may be best to give Nick a chance on him on the outside and funnel him into the hole We may see our first Haywood and McGee tonight. Gil will need continue from where he left off last game by running the team smartly then taking us home.

If we win, I think it will be tight. 4 or less pts.

We will match up better with these guys as a year goes on and McGee and Nick get established..Plus if we had Critter we would be deeper with more athletes. These are our taller more athletic players that would make up better against them. This is the kind of team where CB and AJ get exposed as not athletic enough.

We will end the year above them even if we loss tonight.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#52 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm

hands11 wrote:I think Dray and CB will be challenged by the more athletic Hawks. As I said before, not having AJ is actually a good thing for this game. This is the type of game Id rather see Haywood and Blatche up front.

Not me. I think Jamison would help a lot in this game. I think Jamison can outplay Josh Smith but I'm not as confident about Blatche.

The only reason that Jamison's absence might not hurt is that Atlanta has Joe Smith: Jamison's kryptonite.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#53 » by conleyorbust » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:I think Dray and CB will be challenged by the more athletic Hawks. As I said before, not having AJ is actually a good thing for this game. This is the type of game Id rather see Haywood and Blatche up front.

Not me. I think Jamison would help a lot in this game. I think Jamison can outplay Josh Smith but I'm not as confident about Blatche.

The only reason that Jamison's absence might not hurt is that Atlanta has Joe Smith: Jamison's kryptonite.

Jamison has had some big games against the Hawks in the past couple of years.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#54 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:07 pm

nate33 wrote:

Agreed. Also, I'm nervous about the immaturity of guys like Blatche and Young coming out if they see the Hawks guys do something specacular and feel they need to duplicate. That they'd be less concerned with winning the game and more concerned about winning some informal dunk contest. Jamison wouldn't get caught up in that.
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#55 » by jholmbe1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Agreed. Also, I'm nervous about the immaturity of guys like Blatche and Young coming out if they see the Hawks guys do something specacular and feel they need to duplicate. That they'd be less concerned with winning the game and more concerned about winning some informal dunk contest. Jamison wouldn't get caught up in that.

Fortunately we don't have to be worried about Nick Young being foolish on the court or even being on the court at all.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#56 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 pm

The key to this game is forcing atlanta to double team blatche in the most. Josh smith is a great weakside shot blocker but doesn't have the bulk or strength to bang with blatche in the post. Obviosly arenas should get into the lane at will against bibby which should take care of 45 percent of our necessary points shooting above 50 percent. With haywood offensive rebounding and if blatche can continue to knock down shot. Foye and miller coming off the bench will be fine. On defense foye and deshaun can't defend against the taller joe johnson and marvin williams. If young can deny dribble penetration of joe johnson and still play him tight I think that is ball game. Deshaun and foye are giving up easy three all game to to size for foye and short arms and non quickness from deshaun. Mike can gaurd the perimeter if he doesn't have to cheat to help caron. Caron is notorious for not having enough quickness and length to challenge the three shot. Caron defense at the three spot effectively challenging the three while being quick enough to stay in front of joe and marvin will decide this game. I think mikes defense will save the day.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,396

Post#57 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:The key to this game is forcing atlanta to double team blatche in the most. Josh smith is a great weakside shot blocker but doesn't have the bulk or strength to bang with blatche in the post. Obviosly arenas should get into the lane at will against bibby which should take care of 45 percent of our necessary points shooting above 50 percent. With haywood offensive rebounding and if blatche can continue to knock down shot. Foye and miller coming off the bench will be fine. On defense foye and deshaun can't defend against the taller joe johnson and marvin williams. If young can deny dribble penetration of joe johnson and still play him tight I think that is ball game. Deshaun and foye are giving up easy three all game to to size for foye and short arms and non quickness from deshaun. Mike can gaurd the perimeter if he doesn't have to cheat to help caron. Caron is notorious for not having enough quickness and length to challenge the three shot. Caron defense at the three spot effectively challenging the three while being quick enough to stay in front of joe and marvin will decide this game. I think mikes defense will save the day.

Interesting. It's unlikely that Mike James will even get into the game but you have him saving the day. As you mentioned, Foye is going to have trouble defending the SG position, so if he is going to get minutes, it'll have to be primarily at backup PG. I seriously doubt Mike James is going to get minutes while Foye doesn't get off the bench.

I agree that posting up Blatche would be a good strategy. It's why I stated several pages ago that I hope we don't get "Soft Blatche". We need to use our height advantage early with Blatche over Smith and Haywood over Horford.

I disagree about the defense of Joe Johnson. I don't see Flip calling on Nick Young to stop Johnson. If Johnson is killing us, it'll be Stevenson who is designated to stop him. Young's long arms are useful at stopping quick-release spot up shooters in the Ray Allen mode, but I'd much rather have Stevenson guard a creator like Johnson.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#58 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Mike millers lenth at 6'8 w/o shoes versus caron 6"5 w/o shoes. Caron doesn't have legit standing reach to challenge a 6"8 player 3 ball while mike miller does. That will be the key to the game. Marvin and joe johnson launching threes and the person allowing the breakdown in defense normally jamison now shifts to butler. He will be the focal point for how atlanta breaks down the defense. They will johnson to beat butler off the dribble breaking down the defense. Bibby can't break it down. Maybe their rookie teague but he is still a rookie so haywood and blatche and arenas can hold their own. That leaves miller and butler.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#59 » by P'Oed » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:17 pm

We haven't played these guys very well the last few years. I'd be shocked if we pulled this one out.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#60 » by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm sure Atlanta is a lot more afraid of Butler going off than we are of Marvin Williams going off. I do agree that miller's defense on JJ is crucial to this game. I'd rather miller foul out than conserve minutes and have arenas on JJ for long stretches.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards