ImageImageImageImageImage

Is it time to flip flop on Flip?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,005

Re: Is it time to flip flop on Flip? 

Post#101 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:A big man project who would take a while. However, after he was drafted I saw length, speed, and leaping ability--as well as the fact both his parents were professional players (Europe and WNBA). Saw that Javale had pretty good handles for a player his height.

One of the things that surprises me the most about McGee is that he has such an obviously low b'ball IQ for a guy whose parents were both pro players.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,368

Post#102 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:24 pm

jholmbe1 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:^ maybe this is a case where having the backing of his mom isN'T helping
by giving the kid a rationalization for his apparent poor work habits. His
mom, a former pro, thinks he should play more -> the coach must not
know anything.

I'm not sure who to side with here. I've seen some things I really like
about Flip, and been dumbfounded by other things (like playing DS over N1).

At what point do we start blaming Nick Young for his lack of playing time? My opinion is that he has a lot of talent but does not take the game seriously and has no bball iq. You can keep making excuses for him and demanding he receive playing time but the truth is that if he was any better than Stevenson he would be on the court.

I hear what you're saying but I think that in addition to what our
lying eyes are telling us, there is real measurable data to suggest
that NI would be a better choice. W-L record for one thing although
I will concede that looking at that one thing could be deceiving.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,072

Post#103 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:[To make a statement like that... Is there more than intuition involved - something Javale or Pam said?

A while back Pam McGee had a web page with "Free McGee" on it. Might have been Facebook.

I just put that thought with TSW's assertion that McGee had resisted coaching and thought maybe he doesn't really respect the coaches. That and him having played 15 minutes a game last season and virtually none this season.

McGee would have been a college senior. He made his money, but I know if he were at a college where he wasn't playing, or where his play suffered he would have transferred. (Wesley Johnson and Epke Udoh are transfer students, both older than Javale IIRC withouth looking up birthdates).

"Resisted" isn't the word I would use. "Ignored" is better. Maybe it's just semantics.

Has there been a mom ever who thought her kid didn't deserve more playing time?

Nope. Nor a dad, either. I can think of times I've been so upset when one of my kids wasn't in a game that I've had to walk away to refrain from being the jerk parent. I've also intervened (by getting in the middle of and distracting) between a parent who was about to fight a coach over his daughter not playing.

Pam's just being a mom.
Bye bye Beal.
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#104 » by jholmbe1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Not sure if there is any truth to this post but if Stevenson really did simulate using a shotgun on camera, I am sure he will be suspended by the team and Nick will get some minutes.

http://www.wizardsextreme.com/forums/sh ... #post76907
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,072

Post#105 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:54 pm

DCZards wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:A big man project who would take a while. However, after he was drafted I saw length, speed, and leaping ability--as well as the fact both his parents were professional players (Europe and WNBA). Saw that Javale had pretty good handles for a player his height.

One of the things that surprises me the most about McGee is that he has such an obviously low b'ball IQ for a guy whose parents were both pro players.

DCZ there's stuff about Pam that I won't even post. (You can google it. A parenting thing from a few years back, not involving Javale.) I believe Javale moved around. Flint, MI. Chicago area. Northern Cali. About his real pops (a guy last named Montgomery), I don't know much other than he was a Final Four participant on a good Illinois team that IIRC played Maryland back in the day .... How much influence did he have on Javale and was any of it good? Might Javale be a pampered momma's boy? Might he also be a late bloomer? And also, might he be a bit like Chris Kaman -- an ADD type? Just speculating ....

The thing that all those loose ends might do is explain why Javale has a low bball IQ. That along with the fact that he was a G or a F who grew a whole lot late. Kid thinks like a small.
Bye bye Beal.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#106 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

The one thing I have never liked about Javale is he gives off the impression that he knows more than anybody else. I recall that when the organization said that Javale needed to bulk up, Javale replied that he didn't think he had to and that it would take away his quickness, etc. He's made other comments like that in the past that makes it sound as though he is smarter than everyone else. He also acts that way on the court. For example, we all know that Flip has told Javale that he only wants him to defend the paint, rebound and run the court. However, there are times where Javale is clearly looking to create offense on his own. Whenever that happens, Flip just shakes his head in disgust.

You can agree or disagree on whether Flip and management are right or wrong about what Javale should do, but you can't disagree on the fact that Javale should just follow instructions. If he did, I think he would get more playing time.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#107 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm

In that sense, McGee is like a lot of teens and youngsters. I remember one time at 5 Star. The coach of our team was trying to get this one guy to play as an actual member of the team. He was trying something simple like getting him to make the simple rotation pass instead of trying to dribble drive EVERY time he touched the ball.

The player said, "Coach, you gotta stop messing with my game."

The coach (who later went on to some success as a D-1 head coach) went off. "Messing with your game?! You don't have a **** game!"

Then he tore this guy's game apart for 3 HILARIOUS minutes. And benched him for an entire game, which NEVER happens at 5 Star.

Good times.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#108 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 am

AJ with 45 minutes vs the Lakers, I guess Flip is down with the Ed Tapscott plan for ensuring that AJ gets injured before the season is done.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#109 » by montestewart » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 am

closg00 wrote:AJ with 45 minutes vs the Lakers, I guess Flip is down with the Ed Tapscott plan for ensuring that AJ gets injured before the season is done.

I think it's the "Wouldn't you like this on your playoff team?" plan. Maybe it's an agreed on plan, but maybe he's just doing what he's told. Hope not; emasculating a veteran coach in his first year doesn't bode well for the rest of the contract.

Return to Washington Wizards