Your franchise has no pride

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

chubby_1_kenobi
Starter
And1: 20

Re: Your franchise has no pride 

Post#41 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 am

LyricalRico wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:You can close this thread if you want.

Oh, no. You don't get off that easy. This thread should now become the Official Anti-Lakers Troll thread. Go Mavs!

:clap:

The reason I made this thread is because I thought that the Wizards fans were at least disgruntled about the trades their team have been making, especially the one which blatantly helps their rival.

To my astonishment, they are not so that's why I said I was not saying anything more about this since if because the fanbase themselves are happy about it, why should an outsider like me get so riled up?

The thread has lost its purpose as soon as I know that Wizards fans are like that.

Why is this categorized as trolling anyway?
chubby_1_kenobi
Starter

Post#42 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 am

montestewart wrote:I'll tell you what franchise has no pride: the Grizzlies! Gasol for Kwame!

I'll tell you what franchise has no pride: the Hornets! Kobe for Divacs!

Imagine a franchise built on the shameful mistakes of teams that lack P-R-I-D-E!!!

Personally, I'd like to see Ilgauskas end up in Dallas.

They were not rivals.
Had the Cavs and the Wizards were best bud from the start, I wouldn't even bother with it.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#43 » by yungal07 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:21 am

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
montestewart wrote:I'll tell you what franchise has no pride: the Grizzlies! Gasol for Kwame!

I'll tell you what franchise has no pride: the Hornets! Kobe for Divacs!

Imagine a franchise built on the shameful mistakes of teams that lack P-R-I-D-E!!!

Personally, I'd like to see Ilgauskas end up in Dallas.

They were not rivals.
Had the Cavs and the Wizards were best bud from the start, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Holy **** kid. Go away.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#44 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 am

Sometimes I'm glad we have a small fan base so we don't have to deal with obnoxious fan boys.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#45 » by Ed Wood » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 am

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:If your fanbase is so happy why is your signature so sarcastic?

Oh no, we're not capable of sarcasm here. You see living in the nation's capital has provided us with a strong lack of tact and subtlety, so you can pretty much take everything we say at face value.

CCJ wrote:chubby_1_kenobi, first of all thanks for starting a thought-provoking thread.

Anyway, you are totally right about everything you're saying; the day that the Wizards buyout Zydrunas Ilgauskas is the day that the music will die for this franchise. I'm not such a good writer but I want to talk about why I just said that and I figured it would be nice if it was well written so I'm gonna do this like this website I found told me I should write to get a good grade on a social studies paper.

First it says you should look up the word you wanna talk about and just say that in the paper; I'm going to do that so give me a second... OK Google says pride is a Japanese fighting thing but it also says its "a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem." Then it says to explain what the definition has to do with what you're talking about, and I'm not so sure I know but I'll try. The character of the Wizards, as a professional basketball franchise, is to attempt to put the best product out on the court that it can and to look to do everything it can all the time to make the team better. So being proud as a basketball team is about always working to be better, and wanting to improve. If the Wizards want to be a self-respecting team they have to be good, or armbar really fat guys, I don't think google really knows what it's saying.

Ok so now I have to back up my argument and provide examples, but I'm agreeing with your argument, so I'm improvising a little. The Wizards have the rights to Big Z right now and they want to buy out his contract to save money and so that other teams will keep trading with them and players will like them. But if they were proud of being Wizards they'd be holding on to Z like (it says metaphors are like steroids for grades) they needed him to live. The right way to become the best team you can be is to be as petty and and conniving as possible. Z doesn't want to be here and the Cavs probably entered into an agreement with the Wizards with the understanding that we'd let him go but if we're huge jerks and make everyone angry then we'll be feared, and fear will keep the local franchises in line. (The guide doesn't say this but Star Wars is cool so I'm going for broke) We need to get everyone else to listen so we'll have pride, help me chubby_1_kenobi, you're my only hope.

Now google's getting smart with me because it's telling me I need a conclusion and if the other teams around the NBA think the Wizards and Cavs were concluding they had better find some proof.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#46 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 am

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:You can close this thread if you want.

Oh, no. You don't get off that easy. This thread should now become the Official Anti-Lakers Troll thread. Go Mavs!

:clap:

The reason I made this thread is because I thought that the Wizards fans were at least disgruntled about the trades their team have been making, especially the one which blatantly helps their rival.

To my astonishment, they are not so that's why I said I was not saying anything more about this since if because the fanbase themselves are happy about it, why should an outsider like me get so riled up?

The thread has lost its purpose as soon as I know that Wizards fans are like that.

Why is this categorized as trolling anyway?

I'll assume you know the answer to all these rhetorical questions you ask and that you somehow derive diversion from the inside jokes that you tell to yourself, hoping your audience will laugh. Still, this is an anti-Lakers troll thread, and your semi-serious tone is undermining the irreverant foundation upon which it stands. Loosen up, Chubby-baby.

On a more serious note, you were only a Wizards fan when Jordan was here; in other words, you were never a Wizards fan, but a Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers, superstar, "We're (although I personally contributed in no way at all) the greatest" fan. Jamison had to go for the good of the team, and the Cavs gave the best offer. Ilgauskas made the salaries match, and that's the only reason he came here, on paper. I think his leaving is also in the best interests of the team, and I would explain further, but you ignore any reasoning that counters your presupposition. If pride prevents you from doing what is best, what is pride if not the fall itself?

You seem ill-informed about your subject, demonstrating no understanding of the Wizards current ownership transition, the dynamic that led to the Butler and Jamison trades, the state of the Cavs-Wizards “rivalry,” the options around the league for making transactions, salary cap issues, etc; in fact, none of your posts demonstrate much understanding of much of anything. But you make up for it with a certainty that our franchise lacks pride, and if the fans (and all the fans are on this board) are OK with it (and we clearly all agree on that and everything else) than you guess that’s just how we was raised.

With your trite and shallow “deep” observations, ability to state the obvious and think it original, and tendency to repeatedly assert falsehoods as truths, you’ll likely make a fine politician.

PS: Mavs looking pretty good so far against the Lakers. Ilgauskas would look good backing up Haywood.

PPS: Didn’t you say something about leaving?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#47 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 am

Ed Wood wrote:But if they were proud of being Wizards they'd be holding on to Z like (it says metaphors are like steroids for grades) they needed him to live.

gee willikers, wood. i'm not so good at writings myself but that seems to be a simile.

anyway, i'm astounded that we're actually indulging this guy in his cry for attention. chubby, how are you a troll? maybe you're not a troll in the conventional sense since you use punctuation and had the good sense to turn off capslock, but you're still trolling. you post an obviously antagonistic post, and wait for the pseudo-interpersonal interactions to come rolling in. the prompt replies, the constant baiting... i'm no doctor but it seems like trolling to me.

your armchair psychology of diagnosing our organization as spineless is... stupid. your claim that mindset wins championships is... stupid. newsflash: talent wins, no matter how crazy. GP and Kemp went to the finals.

anyway, i've said this about 10000 times this season but i'm fine rooting for a non-championship caliber team as long as they play entertaining basketball. I would be fine if we could assemble a team like the Thunder, or the Suns and have no realistic shot at the ring as long as i get 82 solid games/season and whatever bonus playoff games they managed to back into. I don't live/die by DC sports and if that makes me a "bad fan" then whatever. I don't really care. I'm on this board to talk hoops, not to jerk fellow fans off about how sweet we are.
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#48 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Can we change the name of the thread to something about Lakers trolls? I'm not sure there's enough pride here to draw responses to the current title.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#49 » by Brenice » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 pm

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:beat the crap out of you in the playoff year after year?

Three points:

#1 the first series was a great 6-game series, where most games went down to the wire. That was not beating the crap out of anyone.

#2 The second an third series', Cleveland played a wounded foe. They SHOULD have won. If Cleveland hadn't won, they should have been embarassed.

and #3 ....TALK TO THE HAND!!!! I don't want to hear your bull!

I'm out!!!
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#50 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Ed Wood wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:If your fanbase is so happy why is your signature so sarcastic?

Oh no, we're not capable of sarcasm here. You see living in the nation's capital has provided us with a strong lack of tact and subtlety, so you can pretty much take everything we say at face value.

CCJ wrote:chubby_1_kenobi, first of all thanks for starting a thought-provoking thread.

Anyway, you are totally right about everything you're saying; the day that the Wizards buyout Zydrunas Ilgauskas is the day that the music will die for this franchise. I'm not such a good writer but I want to talk about why I just said that and I figured it would be nice if it was well written so I'm gonna do this like this website I found told me I should write to get a good grade on a social studies paper.

First it says you should look up the word you wanna talk about and just say that in the paper; I'm going to do that so give me a second... OK Google says pride is a Japanese fighting thing but it also says its "a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem." Then it says to explain what the definition has to do with what you're talking about, and I'm not so sure I know but I'll try. The character of the Wizards, as a professional basketball franchise, is to attempt to put the best product out on the court that it can and to look to do everything it can all the time to make the team better. So being proud as a basketball team is about always working to be better, and wanting to improve. If the Wizards want to be a self-respecting team they have to be good, or armbar really fat guys, I don't think google really knows what it's saying.

Ok so now I have to back up my argument and provide examples, but I'm agreeing with your argument, so I'm improvising a little. The Wizards have the rights to Big Z right now and they want to buy out his contract to save money and so that other teams will keep trading with them and players will like them. But if they were proud of being Wizards they'd be holding on to Z like (it says metaphors are like steroids for grades) they needed him to live. The right way to become the best team you can be is to be as petty and and conniving as possible. Z doesn't want to be here and the Cavs probably entered into an agreement with the Wizards with the understanding that we'd let him go but if we're huge jerks and make everyone angry then we'll be feared, and fear will keep the local franchises in line. (The guide doesn't say this but Star Wars is cool so I'm going for broke) We need to get everyone else to listen so we'll have pride, help me chubby_1_kenobi, you're my only hope.

Hall of Fame post. Instant classic.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 552

Post#51 » by daSwami » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Schadenfreude = the lowest depths of human misery.
:banghead:
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#52 » by dobrojim » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:And why does it have to be locked? Have I been spreading lies or using profanity like you did in your post?
If this thread gets locked anyway, it further proves how sad and miserable the once proud Wizards fanbase have become.

Lies? I'm not kidding you dude. I heard there's like only 3 seats left!

Your attempt to derail this thread will be unsuccessful, my point is much too valid.

Except it's not.

The Wiz helped THEMSELVES out a great deal by making the trades they did.
Before Howard (who WAS drafted IIRC) got hurt, I had predicted that our fortunes
would be changed more in a positive direction than any other team making deadline
deals. Howard getting hurt changed that some but I don't think that was predictable
at all.

As a season ticketholder, I can tell you that while our fans generally appreciated
Butler, Haywood and Jamison, the new vibe in the arena is night and day better
than it was. No doubt about it.

Here's to DAL or DEN coming out of the western conference!

But I can't agree with Ruz, anyone but CLE!
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#53 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:Helping out Cleveland by releasing Ilgauskas after they beat the crap out of you in the playoff year after year?

What is the rationale behind that? And don't say it's because of money either.

The NBA is definitely a business and saving a 1 to 1.5 million is a reason to get rid of a player who will not help the team rebuild. The Wizards have played the best this season since the trade. I think the fans have seen a lot more pride from the new team roster compared to the guys that were here.

chubby_1_kenobi wrote: To an NBA franchise, a couple of millions of dollar is a price well worth it to show its' fanbase that they still have some sort of dignity. Instead, your franchise opt to send Jamison and Ilgauskas to Cleveland while at the same time sending Butler and Haywood to Dallas for a broken down former undrafted swingman.

Josh Howard was drafted: http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2003.html

As a rebuild team it makes sense to shed long-term contracts(and departing free agents) to get under the luxury tax and add a few role players(Singleton, Ross), a shot at young talent(Cle 1st) and a possible diamond in the rough(Al Thorton).

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:All of that after the Arenas and Crittenton fiasco that robbed you of your respectability.

So then why are surprised at our lack of "pride".

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:If you think what happened to the New York Knicks under Isiah Thomas was bad, wait until you see what will happen to your sorry excuse of a franchise.

If the Wizards were using the Isiah Thomas model, the players would have been traded for contracts that were even worse. Obviously the front office has not been great, but I they have not been bad to the degree of Isiah Thomas as GM.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,977

Post#54 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 pm

dobrojim wrote:
As a season ticketholder, I can tell you that while our fans generally appreciated

I'm a partial season ticketholder and I agree that the "new vibe" is better and refreshing. But, don't kid yourself, when the Wizards send out season ticket renewal invoices this Spring that "vibe" won't matter a lick, because a whole lot of the current season ticketholders ain't going to pay top dollar to see this current collection of Zards. And who can blame them.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#55 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 pm

DCZards wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

I'm a partial season ticketholder and I agree that the "new vibe" is better and refreshing. But, don't kid yourself, when the Wizards send out season ticket renewal invoices this Spring that "vibe" won't matter a lick, because a whole lot of the current season ticketholders ain't going to pay top dollar to see this current collection of Zards. And who can blame them.

Hopefully Ted will block any temptation they have to market the other team. Winning is the biggest change with the Caps, but the arena changing from having most games like a road game to having Caps fans is a significant change.

Given how many FAs(only 5 under contract although there are a couple of player options) there are on the team, who knows what the Wizards team will be next year.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,977

Post#56 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:35 pm

verbal8 wrote:Given how many FAs(only 5 under contract although there are a couple of player options) there are on the team, who knows what the Wizards team will be next year.

I agree. No telling who the Zards will be putting on the court next fall. Problem is that won't be known until late summer or early fall. Meanwhile, the Zards send out the ticket renewal notices in the Spring. I've already told my Zards' ticket rep that I plan t0 take a "wait-and-see" approach before signing on for the 2010-11 season, which means I ain't making no commitments in May or June when they ask for the first payment.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#57 » by dobrojim » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 pm

First of all I gotta say it's threads like this one that make me
proud to be a member of this BB. We got a lot of smart, thoughtful
and skilled writers and fans. I'd say there was more than one
HOF reply to the troll in there.

re - the new vibe - your position on renewing is one that is hard
to argue with. I'm wondering what incentive(s) I could negotiate out
of them that would get me to renew before I knew what the make-up
of the team was. I think they have to know that it would be somewhat
unfair to ask us to pay for something sight-unseen so to speak.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
chubby_1_kenobi
Starter

Post#58 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 pm

All of you have such animosity towards Lakers franchise when there's actually nothing between them and the Wizards yet when it comes to the Cavaliers, everyone here is being so nonchalant about handing them Jamison for low draft pick.

I'm starting to doubt you even seriously considered the Cavs as your rivals at all. Maybe it was just a cute tussle but nothing more.

I can't imagine Boston or Sacramento doing the same thing for the oh so hated Lakers. In fact, Sacramento would rather give Ron Artest to Houston for Donte Greene than sending him to the Lakers for Odom.

Now tell me if that's not what rivalry is supposed to be about.

I seriously seriously overestimated the hate Wizards fans have for the Cavs. Silly me.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,061

Post#59 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Four pages of looking like an ignorant fool, mission accomplished?
chubby_1_kenobi
Starter

Post#60 » by chubby_1_kenobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 pm

hermitkid wrote:Four pages of looking like an ignorant fool, mission accomplished?

One only becomes a fool when one goes against what he believes to be right.

Return to Washington Wizards