ImageImageImageImageImage

Your franchise has no pride

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Re: Your franchise has no pride 

Post#81 » by Bickerstaff » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 am

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:I was a Wizards fan afterall when MJ was playing. ( a bandwagon one, yes, but a fan nevertheless).

Of course you were. You seem like the type.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#82 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:46 am

chubby_1_kenobi wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
chubby_1_kenobi wrote:All of you have such animosity towards Lakers franchise when there's actually nothing between them and the Wizards yet when it comes to the Cavaliers, everyone here is being so nonchalant about handing them Jamison for low draft pick.

How does keeping an aging Jamison help the Wizards? Plus the financial aspect of getting under the luxury tax($7 million(2.5 in tax, ~500K in salary and 4 million in tax payout) and saving $1 million buying out Z. That could probably buy a couple of low 1st and a 2nd round pick.

What other alternatives for trading Jamison did the Wizards have? I could see the merits of arguing that the Dallas trade was not the best deal possible, but I think the Cavs deal was the only deal possible for Jamison.

The Dallas deal was lopsided but I understand why it happened. Salary dump plain and simple. I have no problem with it.

The Cleveland deal was also good. Salary dump plus draft pick. Rebuilding stage is on. Fine, understandable.

At this point, the Wizards have helped Cleveland enough.

Then the Ilgauskas bullcrap happened. Yes, financially your owner saved 1 million dollar and managed to place themselves in Cleveland's good grace. I understand that completely but don't sit there and tell me that this particular debacle is not a complete statement of defeat. This is what I have problems with. There's no attempt whatsoever to keep the rivalry alive and burning even though in my opinion was one of the most interesting subplot that happened for any eastern conference team since MJ retired.

i doubt the cleveland deal would have even happened if there wasnt a mutual agreement or atleast some kinda of talk about Z being bought out and returning to cleveland.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#83 » by penbeast0 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 am

I don't think of us as a proud franchise; I think of us as humble and (hopefully) willing to learn from our mistakes . . . PLEASE!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
507Mack
Junior
And1: 0

Post#84 » by 507Mack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 am

Big Z's "serial rapist looks". That's gold.

Anyway, I don't understand what the argument is here. Chubby is absolutely correct. Only he thinks that the Wiz ownership/front office are synonymous with the franchise itself. If that's what he's referring to, then it's true: this franchise has no pride. The FANS still have pride in the city and believe in their franchise, only to get continuously let down because of the morons in charge. I hope Ted Leonsis comes in and brings some respectability that the fans deserve.

Look, my hate for the Cavs and LeBron burns hotter than a thousand suns. When the Wizards are in town (Chicago), I'm right behind the bench wearing a Wizards outfit/beard, going nuts. And I can say without hesitation that it kills me that we're helping that piece of **** city get closer to a title by giving them Jamison and Big Z for nothing but cash and lousy draft picks. I don't like it one bit, and as a fan I am outraged. It's the cherry on top of a obnoxious sundae, served up by the Wiz ownership, Grunfeld, and the players he brought in.
EG73
Sixth Man
And1: 808

Post#85 » by EG73 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Sorry for my bad english.

I'm a raptors fan, and was really disappointed with the Vince Carter trade. We got Alonzo Mourning, who didn't want to play in Toronto. His contract was 'bought out', but he received almost 100% of his salary ! This is ridiculous. If the player don't want to respect his contract, the team should not feel the obligation to give a salary. Offer him to have the contract cancelled (buy-out 0%) or pay him to play and give him huge penalties for 'conduct detrimental to the team'. Otherwise I'll go to my boss and ask 'I don't want to work for you, so just pay me half and you will save money to pay another employee'.

I feel sorry for your team (player showing disappointment with the trade). But I think the management has not enough pride if you give any money to Ilgauskas for not playing.
"But the thing is, maybe I do want to wake up one morning and say, `Baby, let's go to the Bahamas. Today.' That costs money. So what if I want to do that?
MJ
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#86 » by verbal8 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

EG73 wrote:Sorry for my bad english.

I'm a raptors fan, and was really disappointed with the Vince Carter trade. We got Alonzo Mourning, who didn't want to play in Toronto. His contract was 'bought out', but he received almost 100% of his salary ! This is ridiculous. If the player don't want to respect his contract, the team should not feel the obligation to give a salary. Offer him to have the contract cancelled (buy-out 0%) or pay him to play and give him huge penalties for 'conduct detrimental to the team'. Otherwise I'll go to my boss and ask 'I don't want to work for you, so just pay me half and you will save money to pay another employee'.

I feel sorry for your team (player showing disappointment with the trade). But I think the management has not enough pride if you give any money to Ilgauskas for not playing.

Players who are not marginal NBA players generally have guaranteed contracts. And the Sprewell and Arenas incidents make it pretty obvious that the team owes the player the money basically no matter what.
I have a feeling this will change in the next CBA. I really can't see a hard cap working with salaries being fully guaranteed. The owners may not get a hard cap, but I doubt it will still have loopholes you can drive a 7'3" Center through.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#87 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 pm

From the conversation on this board, you'd get the impression that the only reason for a buyout is because a spoiled, selfish player forced it. Buyouts can be motivated by either sides' interests and most often seem like mutually agreed upon arrangements when an older to player doesn't fit into the team's long term plans, saving a team money and freeing the player to catch on with another team.

There are good arguments for buying out Ilgauskas, and good arguments for him playing the rest of the season with the Wizards, but if the understanding at the time of the trade was that he would not remain with the Wizards (and possibly the entire trade with that one willing trade partner hinged on that understanding) I don't see why that would be changed. Changing those unwritten terms after the trade was completed could have bad consequences.

The comparison to Mourning in Toronto is not a very good one for many reasons, especially because it was one disgruntled, dogging player traded for another one. Wizards came out way ahead in the Jamison trade.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#88 » by verbal8 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:07 pm

montestewart wrote:From the conversation on this board, you'd get the impression that the only reason for a buyout is because a spoiled, selfish player forced it.

If the Wizards gave in to demands from spoiled, selfish players they would have waived Mike James.
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#89 » by penbeast0 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

verbal8 wrote:
montestewart wrote:From the conversation on this board, you'd get the impression that the only reason for a buyout is because a spoiled, selfish player forced it.

If the Wizards gave in to demands from spoiled, selfish players they would have waived Mike James.

I don't understand how the Wizards (and most other teams he has had a relationship with) can treat a player of his caliber like a cheap hooker. Uh . . . $6.5 million dollars a year is cheap for a hooker? :o
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Scar_Tissue
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#90 » by Scar_Tissue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Agree with the OP.

What a gutless move by the Wizards.

Your GM is all bark and no bite.

First sending them Jamison, and now cutting Ilgauskes free to return there.

Wizards = amateur organization going nowhere fast
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#91 » by fishercob » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Scar_Tissue wrote:Agree with the OP.

What a gutless move by the Wizards.

Your GM is all bark and no bite.

First sending them Jamison, and now cutting Ilgauskes free to return there.

Wizards = amateur organization going nowhere fast

Don't hate the playa, hate the game, homey.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#92 » by montestewart » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Scar_Tissue wrote:Wizards = amateur organization going nowhere fast

USA = Greatest
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#93 » by AceDegenerate » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:01 pm

This thread title = truth. Just look through the trade thread / what do we do now threads. This franchise aspires to be a perennial lottery team.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#94 » by Illuminaire » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:50 pm

We aspire to be more than a perennial first round exit. Please, get over the emo-fandom schtick... or at least give your avatar an appropriate hair cut.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#95 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:This thread title = truth. Just look through the trade thread / what do we do now threads. This franchise aspires to be a perennial lottery team.

We don't actually speak for the franchise, but thank for your support and unwaivering optimism.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#96 » by AceDegenerate » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Krizko Zero wrote:This thread title = truth. Just look through the trade thread / what do we do now threads. This franchise aspires to be a perennial lottery team.

We don't actually speak for the franchise, but thank for your support and unwaivering optimism.

At least I only speak for 1 franchise. Bucks fan.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#97 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

At least I only speak for 1 franchise. Bucks fan.

Ouch, I guess. ?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#98 » by Ed Wood » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Your reign of terror is over Ruz; you'll never post in this town again.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#99 » by AceDegenerate » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 am

No ouch. Just evidence as per the thread title this franchise and most of it's fans (like yourself) have no pride and have dual allegiances.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#100 » by fishercob » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:21 am

Krizko Zero wrote:No ouch. Just evidence as per the thread title this franchise and most of it's fans (like yourself) have no pride and have dual allegiances.

fokus, were you born this much of an angry prick, or did it take years of practice?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards