Smills' mock draft

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LPKingsFan
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Smills' mock draft 

Post#41 » by LPKingsFan » Tue Jun 9, 2009 12:22 am

DGrangeRx33 wrote:Your mock drafts seem more like best case scenarios for the Kings. Rubio won't fall to #4 and Earl Clark won't fall to #23, I mean seriously, thats just ridiculous.

Also, how is it that you go to Louisville, yet can't even spell Clark's name right?

You're right about Clark, but it's not like Smills is the only one out there suggesting Rubio will be there at 4 (see draftexpress, nbadraft.net, among others).
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 3:00 pm

LPKingsFan wrote:
DGrangeRx33 wrote:Your mock drafts seem more like best case scenarios for the Kings. Rubio won't fall to #4 and Earl Clark won't fall to #23, I mean seriously, thats just ridiculous.

Also, how is it that you go to Louisville, yet can't even spell Clark's name right?

You're right about Clark, but it's not like Smills is the only one out there suggesting Rubio will be there at 4 (see draftexpress, nbadraft.net, among others).

I'd hope Clark doesn't fall to 23, but stranger things have happened. It's my mock and I'll call it the way I see it at this time. Clark is IMO one of the top 7-10 players in this draft, maybe even top 5.

IMO, many teams are getting hot and heavy over the PG prospects which may make a player like Johnson or Clarke slide, maybe all the way down into the mid-20's. This particular update reflects that.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#43 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 3:01 pm

Just had to point this out GSWhoops.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/war ... y_id=41342

Hill to the Warriors!
Smills91
Banned User

Post#44 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 3:37 pm

Update 4.0 - 6/9/09

1) Clippers - Blake Griffin
2) Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio*
3) Thunder - Hasheem Thabeet
4) Kings - Tyreke Evans*
5) Wizards - James Harden
6) T-Wolves - Jrue Holiday
7) Warriors - Jordan Hill
8) Knicks - Stephen Curry
9) Raptors - DeMar DeRozan
10) Bucks - Jonny Flynn
11) Nets - DeJuan Blair
12) Bobcats - Terrence Williams
13) Pacers - Gerald Henderson
14) Suns - Ty Lawson
15) Pistons - Earl Clark
16) Bulls - BJ Mullens
17) Sixers - Brandon Jennings
18) T-Wolves - Austin Daye
19) Hawks - Eric Maynor
20) Jazz - Gani Lawal
21) Hornets - Marcus Thornton
22) Mavericks - Jeff Teague
23) Kings - James Johnson
24) Blazers - Tyler Hansbrough
25) Thunder - Jermaine Taylor
26) Bulls - Chase Budinger
27) Grizzlies -Rodrigue Beaubois
28) T-Wolves - Patrick Mills
29) Lakers - Sam Young
30) Cavs - Taj Gibson
31) Kings - Omri Casspi
32) Wizards - Wayne Ellington
33) Blazers - Victor Claver
34) Nuggets - Josh Heytvelt
35) Pistons - Toney Douglas
36) Grizzlies - Jeff Pendergraph
37) Spurs - Jonas Jerebko
38) Blazers - Nick Calathes

* Rubio dealt to Kings for Rights to Evans, Cash and a future first round protected pick in 2012
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#45 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Jun 9, 2009 5:14 pm

Smills91 wrote:Update 4.0 - 6/9/09

2) Grizzlies - Ricky Rubio*
4) Kings - Tyreke Evans*
6) T-Wolves - Jrue Holiday
10) Bucks - Jonny Flynn
11) Nets - DeJuan Blair
12) Bobcats - Terrence Williams
13) Pacers - Gerald Henderson
14) Suns - Ty Lawson
15) Pistons - Earl Clark
16) Bulls - BJ Mullens
17) Sixers - Brandon Jennings
18) T-Wolves - Austin Daye
19) Hawks - Eric Maynor
20) Jazz - Gani Lawal
22) Mavericks - Jeff Teague
23) Kings - James Johnson
24) Blazers - Tyler Hansbrough
25) Thunder - Jermaine Taylor
27) Grizzlies -Rodrigue Beaubois
28) T-Wolves - Patrick Mills
29) Lakers - Sam Young
30) Cavs - Taj Gibson
31) Kings - Omri Casspi
32) Wizards - Wayne Ellington
33) Blazers - Victor Claver
34) Nuggets - Josh Heytvelt
35) Pistons - Toney Douglas
36) Grizzlies - Jeff Pendergraph
37) Spurs - Jonas Jerebko
38) Blazers - Nick Calathes

* Rubio dealt to Kings for Rights to Thabeet, Cash and a future first round protected pick in 2012

This mock draft is much better (Clark from 23rd to 15th), but how are the Kings trading Thabeet to the Grizzles when they picked Evans at 4?
Smills91
Banned User

Re: Smills' mock draft (top 31)_ 

Post#46 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 9, 2009 9:31 pm

Update 5.0 6-11-09

1) Clippers - Blake Griffin - D'uh

2) Grizzlies - James Harden - OJ is the Point Man, Gay is the 3. Harden is a perfect fit at the 2

3) Thunder - DeMar DeRozan - Presti's guy all along - Mid range game and athleticism fits nicely at the
2 in OKC

4) Kings - Ricky Rubio - Legal and financial issues along with a really disinterest in Memphis and OKC leave him at #4 for the Kings to take

5) Wizards - Stephen Curry* - Wizards deal with Blazers for $$$ reasons and pick up a solid vet in Blake to help with PG duties.

6) T-Wolves - Hasheem Thabeet - Thabeet allows Jefferson to move to his natural PF position. T-Wolves have a fabulous 3 man rotation of Thabeet, Jefferson and Love.

7) Warriors - Jonny Flynn - Perfect fit and a great leader, EXACTLY what GS needs. This is the logical choice, somehow they'll probably manage to take Jennings.

8) Knicks - Jrue Holiday - I think they REALLY wanted Curry, but Holiday is a nice consolation prize.

9) Raptors - Tyreke Evans(STEAL OF THE DRAFT) - Evans is gonna be a top 3-4 player in this draft, IMO.

10) Bucks - Jeff Teague - Flynn's off the board and the Bucks get enarmored with Teague's ability to create his own shot.

11) Nets - Jordan Hill - Wow. Just wow. NJ gets their guy without a trade-up. Perfect fit next to Lopez.

12) Bobcats - Terrence Williams - I really think Brown will want this guy. He's a great character guy who does everything well and is very coachable. Total Brown player that fills a nice need with his versatility in the backcourt.

13) Pacers - Gerald Henderson - With Dunleavy out, the Pacers could really use some help at the 2 guard spot. You can never have too many good shooters.

14) Suns - Ty Lawson - The heir to Nash? Doubtful, but definitely a nice future replacement for the Suns run'n'gun ways

15) Pistons - Austin Daye - I think he has a promise here.

16) Bulls - BJ Mullens - Great complement to Noah.

17) Sixers - Brandon Jennings - I think he'll bust, but this is his basement IMO, based on his overrated hype alone.

18) T-Wolves - Earl Clark - Wow, first Thabeet falls to them, then Clark. The Wolves are having a nice draft thus far.

19) Hawks - Eric Maynor - Bibby insurance and a steady hand at that.

20) Jazz - Gani Lawal - Jazz need frontcourt insurance and Lawal may fill a need they've so desperately need. Someone to protect the basket.

21) Hornets - Marcus Thornton - I think he's the Hornets guy. They need a scorer who can create his own shot and Thornton is the best remaining talent in that category.

22) Mavericks - James Johnson - I think the Mavs may dangle J-Ho now, while they can, in order to re-structure their roster. I think JJ can be a J-Ho replacement at the 3.

23) Kings - DeJuan Blair - I think he slides due to injury and weight concerns - a la Arthur last year. He'll fill a BIG need(no pun intended) in a rugged big guy willing to bang and rebound and defend. Perfect 3rd big off the bench behind Hawes/Thompson. I think the Kings bite on the risk, since they have multiple 1st round picks as added insurance.

24) Blazers - Omri Casspi* - Pick goes to Washington as Washington tries to save $$$ during their lux tax avoidance quest.

25) Thunder - Tyler Hansbrough - Will be a nice big off the bench behind Green.

26) Bulls - Chase Budinger - Ben Gordon replacement?

27) Grizzlies -Taj Gibson - Go big or go home. Thunder got Harden at 2, so they need to shore up their frontcourt. Gibson is best remaining player.

28) T-Wolves - Darren Collison - Get some PG help with this last pick and DC may be BPA as well.

29) Lakers - Sam Young - Ariza insurance on the cheap.

30) Cavs - Wayne Ellington - Need another shooter/defender type to compliment LeBron

31) Kings - Jermaine Taylor - Totally a Geoff Petrie type player who can come off the bench behind Martin.

* Wizards trade Rights to Stephen Curry, Darius Songaila and the contract of Etan Thomas for Steve Blake the Rights to Omri Casspi, Victor Claver(#33) and (#38)Nick Calathes along with a 2010 top 10 protected first round pick and a TPE consisting of Etan Thomas' salary
Smills91
Banned User

Post#47 » by Smills91 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Updated.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#48 » by Winter Wonder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:10 pm

No complaints from the MN side. Have a real hard time seeing picks #2 and #3 going that way though. Not complaining if they do, but just not holding my breath for it.

Thabeet, Clark, Collison would be a fairly beastly draft for MN.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#49 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm not a T-Wolves fan, but if they get Thabeet/Clark/Collison, they will clearly be the winners of the draft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

Post#50 » by gswhoops » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:52 pm

If we take Flynn at #7 I will break my TV. He's the next Bassy Telfair.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#51 » by Smills91 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

gswhoops wrote:If we take Flynn at #7 I will break my TV. He's the next Bassy Telfair.

Dude, Flynn's got game man. I think he's closer to Kevin Johnson than he is Sebas. I'd rather have Flynn than Jennings.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#52 » by Smills91 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Update 6.0 6-15-09

2) Grizzlies - Hasheem Thabeet
3) Thunder - Ricky Rubio
4) Kings - Jonny Flynn
6) T-Wolves - Tyreke Evans
7) Warriors - Brandon Jennings
10) Bucks - Jrue Holiday
11) Nets - Jordan Hill
12) Bobcats - Austin Daye
13) Pacers - Jeff Teague
14) Suns - James Johnson
15) Pistons - Earl Clark
16) Bulls - BJ Mullens
17) Sixers - Ty Lawson
18) T-Wolves - Gerald Henderson
19) Hawks - Eric Maynor
20) Jazz - DeJuan Blair
22) Mavericks - Terrence WIlliams
23) Kings - Tyler Hansbrough
24) Blazers - Sam Young
25) Thunder - Taj Gibson
27) Grizzlies -DaJuan Summers
28) T-Wolves - Nick Calathes
29) Lakers - Omri Casspi
30) Cavs - Jermaine Taylor
31) Kings - Toney Douglas
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,519

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 pm

I've got a question for you, and I have been wondering about this topic for a while since it appears Rubio won't be there when Sacramento picks and that the 'BPA' will be Harden (maybe Thabeet). What makes Evans stand out to you over Harden and Holiday, and which of the three do you think is going to have a better career or would be the best fit for Sacramento (especially since Evans is looking, to me, more and more like a shooting guard who can handle the ball rather than a point guard)?

Also, why do you have Thornton above Henderson and Williams? I find that pretty surprising. I like Blair for the Jazz, and I would be really happy if we got him at 20, but I would rather have Henderson, I think.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Smills91
Banned User

Post#54 » by Smills91 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I've got a question for you, and I have been wondering about this topic for a while since it appears Rubio won't be there when Sacramento picks and that the 'BPA' will be Harden (maybe Thabeet). What makes Evans stand out to you over Harden and Holiday, and which of the three do you think is going to have a better career or would be the best fit for Sacramento (especially since Evans is looking, to me, more and more like a shooting guard who can handle the ball rather than a point guard)?

Also, why do you have Thornton above Henderson and Williams? I find that pretty surprising. I like Blair for the Jazz, and I would be really happy if we got him at 20, but I would rather have Henderson, I think.

I think I like Evans, about as much as I like RUbio. I think he does have PG skills and I think his outside shot is underrated. I think Evans has the most upside in this draft this side of Griffin/DeRozan. However, I still think both HArden and Holiday would be excellent choices and very good fits at #4 for the kings. I'm just partial to Evans' game and upside. I think he's the most likely to reach his full potential(and he has one of the top 3-4 ceilings in this draft IMO.)

As for thornton, that's based more on what I've read, that he's been impressive in work outs and there are ALWAYS guys that jump and slip on draft day. He's my 'jumper' here. I think Blair falls due to his 'arthritis' issues.

Henderson would be a good fit with the Jazz, but with Boozer, Millsap AND Okur all in limbo and a need for some defensive presence in the post in Utah, I just don't think the Jazz can pass up Blair's value at #20.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#55 » by RTM » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:14 pm

The more I think about it, I could see the Grizz picking Rubio and sending him to the Kings for Evans, #24 and a Jaric for KT swap.

You're the toughest SAC fan to please, your thoughts? Does SAC value Rubio that highly?
Smills91
Banned User

Post#56 » by Smills91 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:44 am

RTM wrote:The more I think about it, I could see the Grizz picking Rubio and sending him to the Kings for Evans, #24 and a Jaric for KT swap.

You're the toughest SAC fan to please, your thoughts? Does SAC value Rubio that highly?

I know I don't, I'm perfectly happy taking Evans/Harden at #4 and being down with it.
DanBlazer
Junior
And1: 10

Post#57 » by DanBlazer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 am

If the Blazers did that trade with the Wizards, and if the Wizards were moving Harden in this case instead of Curry, could the Blazers just send Harden and additional assets to the Thunder to get Rubio to pair up with Rudy? It could work if the Thunder see Westbrook as their future pg and want to get Harden anyway, so they could just take Rubio to get some extra benefits from the Blazers so they can leapfrog Sacramento to get Rubio. Just since you had that trade listed, even though it was Harden going to the Wiz instead, it got me thinking about the possibilities of Rubio going to the Blazers. I thought it was near impossible but if the Blazers could get Harden for that package I could see it happening. Rest of the mock looks really solid too, props.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#58 » by Smills91 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:01 pm

BrettLee wrote:If the Blazers did that trade with the Wizards, and if the Wizards were moving Harden in this case instead of Curry, could the Blazers just send Harden and additional assets to the Thunder to get Rubio to pair up with Rudy? It could work if the Thunder see Westbrook as their future pg and want to get Harden anyway, so they could just take Rubio to get some extra benefits from the Blazers so they can leapfrog Sacramento to get Rubio. Just since you had that trade listed, even though it was Harden going to the Wiz instead, it got me thinking about the possibilities of Rubio going to the Blazers. I thought it was near impossible but if the Blazers could get Harden for that package I could see it happening. Rest of the mock looks really solid too, props.

No. I don't see that as reasonable at all.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#59 » by Smills91 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Update 7.0 6-18-09

2) Grizzlies - James Harden
4) Kings - Ricky Rubio
5) Wizards - Stephen Curry
6) T-Wolves - Tyreke Evans
8) Knicks - Jrue Holiday
10) Bucks - Jonny Flynn
11) Nets - Earl Clark* (trades to Sacramento for #23 and #31)
12) Bobcats - Gerald Henderson
13) Pacers - DeJuan Blair
14) Suns - Brandon Jennings
15) Pistons - Austin Daye
16) Bulls - BJ Mullens
17) Sixers - Ty Lawson
18) T-Wolves - James Johnson
19) Hawks - Eric Maynor
20) Jazz - Tyler Hansbrough
22) Mavericks - Terrence Williams
23) Kings - Omri Casspi*
24) Blazers - Sam Young
25) Thunder - Jeff Teague
27) Grizzlies - Darren Collison
28) T-Wolves - DaJuan Summers
29) Lakers - Nick Calathes
30) Cavs - Jermaine Taylor
31) Kings - Toney Douglas*

Feel confident these players will go in THIS position.

Others are more fluid, and likely to adjust between now and next week,.
Winter Wonder
Rookie

Post#60 » by Winter Wonder » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Have a hard time seeing Harden at #2.

Curry is hard for me to read as to where he will go, haven't seen him this high myself.

Henderson seems to slip a little, but is feasible.

Sam Young seems a big reach to me.

Daye seems to have slipped a bit as well. (As a MN fan, like it though).

Overall, don't hate it, don't love it.

Return to Mock Drafts