Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: EvanZ 2020 Big Board 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Wed May 27, 2020 9:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:what role would Melo play differently than the one DLo had with the Warriors?

Better player?

not really what I asked u, I asked you what role is he gonna play for us.

and Dlo is a 24/4/6 player, how much better will Melo be exactly?

He's going to play the role of basketball player. Don't overthink talent.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,311

Post#42 » by getrichordie » Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Spoiler:
EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man do we have some different viewpoints on Mays. I have Mays going undrafted and you have him going first round.

Harris and Perry are way too high, IMO. I like Perry as a fit for UTA, though.

I like where you have Nnaji.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,270

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Better player?

talent is useless if it compromises your overarching system and minimizes everyone else, it's not just talent but fit, and Melo isn't the type of talent like Zion where you just take him and don't think twice about it

but we'll agree to disagree
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#44 » by EvanZ » Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

talent is useless if it compromises your overarching system and minimizes everyone else, it's not just talent but fit, and Melo isn't the type of talent like Zion where you just take him and don't think twice about it

Definitely agree to disagree. If you're talking about fit at the #1 pick you're doing it wrong imo.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#45 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 12:48 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Definitely agree to disagree. If you're talking about fit at the #1 pick you're doing it wrong imo.

In most drafts, that would be true. But Ball isn't so much better that you unequivocally have to take him. Plus, this is a unique situation because you have a surefire contender picking #1. Rarely happens.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am

getrichordie wrote:
In most drafts, that would be true. But Ball isn't so much better that you unequivocally have to take him. Plus, this is a unique situation because you have a surefire contender picking #1. Rarely happens.

Hmm yeah like when the Spurs took Keith van Horn because they already had David Robinson at center.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#47 » by getrichordie » Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 am

EvanZ wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Hmm yeah like when the Spurs took Keith van Horn because they already had David Robinson at center.

Huh? Not sure what you are trying to get at... Different time and Duncan and Robinson could clearly play together.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,355

Post#48 » by RiotPunch » Thu May 28, 2020 2:33 am

Poor example, unless you think Ball is a Duncan level prospect? Tim was a generational type #1. You could already have Robinson, Hakeem and Wilt on the roster and still draft Tim.

I agree with both of you, though. This class just doesn't have a Duncan level no-brainer at the top. Not even a consensus #1.

Sure, picking Wiseman over Ball if you have Wiseman way lower on your board, just for fit, is poor asset management. Take the best guy on your board with fit being tiebreakers.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#49 » by EvanZ » Thu May 28, 2020 3:48 am

RiotPunch wrote:Sure, picking Wiseman over Ball if you have Wiseman way lower on your board, just for fit, is poor asset management. Take the best guy on your board with fit being tiebreakers.

This is the important part. I have Ball in a tier by himself. So rather go with the talent than take a lower tier guy just for theoretically better fit. Way too many teams have failed that way. If I wanted a better fit I'd trade down for it and pick up another asset.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

well, that depends on entirely on which #1 pick you're talking about, if you're talking about a Zion or Davis, or even a Towns or Simmons where they are clearly a tier above anyone else, then yes, you take them and figure out the fit later

so unless you believe Melo is that type of player where he's head and shoulders above everyone else, you gotta think about fit (i don't know you might think he's that good, and if so that's where we disagree).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

RiotPunch wrote:Poor example, unless you think Ball is a Duncan level prospect? Tim was a generational type #1. You could already have Robinson, Hakeem and Wilt on the roster and still draft Tim.

I agree with both of you, though. This class just doesn't have a Duncan level no-brainer at the top. Not even a consensus #1.

Sure, picking Wiseman over Ball if you have Wiseman way lower on your board, just for fit, is poor asset management. Take the best guy on your board with fit being tiebreakers.

if you have Wiseman/Melo in the same tier, then you take Wiseman...you look at fit within the same tier, but if they're on separate tiers then you take the one in the first tier obviously
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,355

Post#52 » by RiotPunch » Thu May 28, 2020 6:42 am

clyde21 wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Poor example, unless you think Ball is a Duncan level prospect? Tim was a generational type #1. You could already have Robinson, Hakeem and Wilt on the roster and still draft Tim.

if you have Wiseman/Melo in the same tier, then you take Wiseman...you look at fit within the same tier, but if they're on separate tiers then you take the one in the first tier obviously

100%.

Which is why this is a beautiful, imperfect, subjective art. Where you can have Hasheem Thabeet and Stephen Curry in the same tier and take Thabeet based on fit, as right or wrong as it may be. :D

This class doesn't have that "lose your job if you don't select him" guy, IMO. If you think that's LaMelo (or Wiseman for that matter), more power to ya.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#53 » by EvanZ » Thu May 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 pm

ouf, don't think we agree on anything
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:ouf, don't think we agree on anything

I guess I'm doing something right. :wink:
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#57 » by getrichordie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 pm

Yeah, I disagree with a lot of this. You are in minority on a lot of these so either you either have a really good eye or you don’t know what you are doing.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#58 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:38 pm

getrichordie wrote:Yeah, I disagree with a lot of this. You are in minority on a lot of these so either you either have a really good eye or you don’t know what you are doing.

I know which one lol.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#59 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#60 » by aguiar95 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:43 pm

I really like the tiers system, since I'm not an enthusiast of general big boards (huge fan of individual teams' big boards though). Good job overall on the rankings. Only major disagreement I have is on Ball. Tier II seems too good for him, I would bump him to tier III (maybe IV) since I'm not that sold on him. Wouldn't mind seeing Bey/Woodard in tier V since there are so little serviceable wings.

Return to Mock Drafts