Balkmania Mock Draft: With Explanations 6/22

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

balkmania
Junior
And1: 0

Balkmania Mock Draft: With Explanations 6/22 

Post#1 » by balkmania » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:33 am

1. Bulls: D. Rose
--> PG of the future. Chi-town native. The recent success of Paul and Deron make this the definitive pick. If Rose is as good as advertised, he will turn the team around faster than Beasley can.

2. Heat: M. Beasley
--> They may want OJ Mayo, but will probably be forced to hope Mayo is selected at #4 or #5 so they can swing a deal involving Beasley. If Mayo goes #3, the Twolves are probably drafting him to keep him.

3. TWolves: O.J. Mayo
--> IMO he is a perfect fit. He will be the combo-guard 6th man. If he ends up being a better PG than Foye he will start at PG. If he ends up being a better SG than McCants he will start at SG. He is a solid defensive player and can become a star next to Jefferson. The Twolves would be one more solid big man away from being a playoff team if Brewer develops as anticipated.

4. Sonics: E. Gordon
--> Everybody is penciling in Bayless as the pick. But Bayless is also a combo guard. He is not a PG and the Sonics will still need to keep Ridnour and Watson bc nobody will trade for those guys at this point. Gordon is a good defensive player and will be a great scorer off the dribble next to Durant and IMO has as much potential as Bayless to be an all-star in the NBA. Jeff Green can play some PF and will probably end up being the ultimate 6th man bringing a little bit of everything off the bench. This team has time to find a PG and hope one of their C projects develop next to Wilcox in the frontcourt (maybe Robert Swift??).

5. Grizzlies: K. Love
--> The guy has every offensive tool there is. Passing, Rebounding, Shooting, The Bank Shot, Post Moves. Outlet Passing. I think he projects in the Boozer/Gasol range as a borderline all-star PF. He has the competitiveness and toughness of Boozer with similar touch and skill along with Gasol's passing ability. The Grizzlies clearly need frontcourt help.

6. Knicks: J. Bayless
--> Combo-guard who has a scorers mentality. Yea, thats the same as Crawford, Nate, and Marbury. But Bayless had to deal with a coaching switch in college and might be able to learn how to play point for a run and gun team under D'Antoni. Steve Nash consistantly led the NBA in assists under D'Antoni, but don't forget Nash probably has the ball in his hands and dribbles more than any PG in the league. Bayless might be what D'Antoni is looking for in a lead guard.

7. Clippers: R. Westbrook
--> I think the Clippers are still hoping Shaun Livingston can become the PG of the future. Westbrook can start at SG and is a lock down defender. He has some scoring ability, and might be able to eventually be a PG if Livingston never ends up sticking in the NBA.

8. Bucks: J. Alexander
--> This guy dominated the Big East at the end of the year. He is improving and seems to have a killer-instinct. He has good scoring and rebounding skills to go with his freakish athleticism. Alexander can be an impact player as a rookie, and can develop into a Richard Jefferson type player.

9. Bobcats: B. Lopez
--> I am not a fan of Lopez at all. I think his post game is overrated and he does not shoot a high percentage. His twin did all of the dirty work. Clearly benefited from playing next to his brother, a 7 foot defensive stud. Still, if he joins the Bobcats, maybe Okafor will enhance his game in the same way. Plus as the saying goes: you can't teach size- and he is legit 7'.

10. Nets: D. Gallinari
--> Why not take the chance. I think the top 9 picks I listed round out the "sure things" of this draft. Gallinari can wind up becoming a Rashard Lewis type player. A good shooter who has some ability to create might be a nice fit in Jersey.

11. Pacers: D.J. Augustin
--> Tinsley is not a bad PG, but the Pacers need to move towards the future. A new speedy young PG will be a nice step to rejuvinating the franchise. While I don't think Augustin will be much better, if at all better, than fellow Longhorn TJ Ford, he will probably be a decent NBA starting PG.

12. Kings: D. Arthur
--> He has some good post skills and shot-blocking skills. He is a tough competitor and won a national championship. Should be a nice fit in the Kings frontcourt that will have a nice balance of O and D.

13. Blazers: B. Rush
--> If they keep the pick, I think its between Rush and Donte Greene. I'll go with Rush because of the championship experience and defensive ability. He is a good shooter and will compliment Aldridge and Oden nicely. Honestly, I think the Blazers have talent at every position, and wont even draft another shooter unless they believe the guy will beat out Martell Webster or Travis Outlaw for minutes as a rookie.

14. Warriors: M. Speights
--> He might not have a game set for the run and gun offense, but he is a good shooter and a solid offensive player. I think the Warriors should deal Brandon Wright while he still has some value and groom Speights to be the PF of the future for the franchise. btw Al Harrington is garbage.

15. Suns: D. Greene
--> Kerr has said he wants a player who can contribute right away. I'm not sure anyone left in this draft can do that. Greene IMO is the best talent available and is the perfect SF for the Suns. He won't have to work all that hard to get the ball with Nash at PG and will be allowed to shoot the ball, which is what he does best. He can't play D, but he is young and can hopefully improve that aspect of his game. Probably should be drafted above Gallinari, but his lack of effort on D at Cuse will keep the hyped McDonalds All-American out of the lottery.

16. Sixers: K. Koufos
--> A nice scoring big man to back up Evans and Dalembert. If Koufos improves his rebounding and defense he will be a nice NBA starter in the future. Okur, a similar talent, was able to do just that. Once again, IMO the best talent on the board.

17. Raptors: R. Lopez
--> Rumor has it that the Raptors really like Robin Lopez. He will take the rebounding load off of Bosh and is clearly an upgrade over what they currently have at the C position. Doesn't help in the scoring department so maybe the Raptors will grab a FA who can put the ball in the hoop.

18. Wizards: A. Randolph
--> If Randolph doesn't drop, I think the Wizards will take Hibbert, the local Hoya--- but I fully expect Randolph to drop at least this far. Honestly, the guy is garbage. People wonder why he was snubbed from the McDonalds All-American team last year and why he got no media attention at LSU. Well the reason is obvious to me- the guy is a turnover machine, can not shoot, and plays with little intensity. I don't even think it is fair to say he will be a bust, because it seems obvious he just flat out sucks. Anyway, if the Wizards don't go with Hibbert, they basically have their starting lineup set and can afford to take a chance. They are screwed regardless if Gilbert and Jamison bounce anyway.

19. Cavs: CDR
--> The get one of college bball's elite scorers to play with Lebron. This team needs scoring and CDR will be a good scorer in the NBA. He is querky like Jamison, but can def put the ball in the hoop. This pick should please Lebron. Courtney Lee would be a nice fit, but I think #19 is too early for him.

20. Nuggets: D. Jordan
--> Similar to Anthony Randolph, this guy just flat out isn't good, but I expect him to go top 20 because of the hype. Maybe Camby and KMart can teach him a few things and the guy can actually develop into a player in Denver. Who Knows? As KG says, "Anythingggg is POSSSSSIBLEEEEE!!!"

21. Nets: A. Ajinca
--> The Nets can go in a number of directions depending on their first pick. If they go with a SF like Gallinari, I'd expect them to go with a big at this pick. Ajinca has size, length, and can become a Beindris type C. The Nets have a lot of young guys at the big-men position so they could let this guy stay overseas and let him develop similar to what they did with Krstic.

22. Magic: S. Ibaka
--> I believe this is the perfect fit for the Magic. A lot of people think the Magic need a SG. Why can't Hedo be the 2 with Rashard Lewis at the 3? Ibaka would be a beastly PF next to Howard. That would be one scary frontcourt. On a side note, I expect Dwight Howard to be a top 5 player in the NBA next year- if the guy develops his post moves he can legit be a 30 15 player. Thats incredible.

23. Jazz: R. Hibbert
--> This would be a solid pick. They'd get a big guy who plays some D, clog the post, and see minutes with Boozer, Milsap or even Okur. He solidifies the frontcourt and the Jazz will look even nicer on paper.

24. Sonics: J. McGee
--> Boy do they love to try and develop raw centers. Why not take on another project? This guy sadly enough might even be better than the 8 raw C prospects they currently have. Some people project McGee to be a late lotto pick....I can see maybe how a team would take him over R.Lopez or Hibbert, but I can't see him going top 15. Personally, I think Hibbert and Lopez will def be NBA role players at worst, whereas McGees downside is not making the league at all.

25. Rockets: N. Batum
--> Should be a nice athletic role-player to add to the Rocket's talented core of Alston, TMac, Battier, Scola, and Yao. If the Rockets are healthy next season I can see them competing for a title. The other "surprise" team in the West next year will be Portland.

26. Spurs: C. Lee
--> The Spurs are looking for some youth. Lee is a good mid-range shooter and solid ball-handler. Those are two under-appreciated skills and Lee could be a nice backup guard for the Spurs.

27. Hornets: G. Forbes
--> Forbes proved he is an aggresive and skilled scorer at Portsmouth and Orlando. The Hornets are becoming one of the best offensive teams in the league with Chris Paul running the show, and Forbes will also provide depth at the G/F position, which is necessary especially if Peja's injury concerns re-appear.

28. Grizzlies: J. Thompson
--> A college player who always had the ball in his hands. Always nice to have a big man, and even if they take Kevin Love, the team still could use more size. They have nice depth at the guard position even with JCN bolting town. I can see Bill Walker being drafted at this spot, but although the most recent knee injury doesn't sound serious, it still must be a concern for teams drafting in the first round.

29. Pistons: D. Hardin
--> The Pistions have a good eye for big-men. You have to figure they will draft an aggressive big, and I think it will be between Hardin and Joey Dorsey.

30. Celtics: M. Chalmers
--> I'm not a Rondo fan, but gotta hand it to the guy bc he played pretty damn well in the playoffs overall. Chalmers will be his backup who also plays good D and will fit in well with the veteran stars.

Round 2.
31- Twolves- Nikola Pekovic
32- Sonics- Richard Hendrix
33- Blazers- DJ White
34- Twolves- Bill Walker
35- Clippers- Joey Dorsey
36- Blazers- George Hill
37- Bucks- JJ Hickson
38- Bobcats- Natan Jawai
39- Bulls- Omer Asik
40- Nets- Devon Jefferson
41- Pacers- Ryan Anderson
42- Kings- DeMarcus Nelson
43- Kings- Pat Calathes
44- Jazz- Kyle Weaver
45- Spurs- Trent Plaisted
46- Sonics- JR Giddens
47- Wizards- Mike Taylor
48- Sonics- LR Mbah a Mute
49- Warriors- Semi Erden
50- Sonics- James Gist
51- Mavs- Reggie Williams
52- Heat- Joe Crawford
53- Jazz- Goran Drajic
54- Rockets- Jamont Gordon
55- Blazers- Ante Tomic
56- Sonics- Othello Hunter
57- Spurs- Marc Hairston
58- Lakers- Pat Ewing Jr.
59- Pistons- Will Thomas
60- Celtics- Will Daniels

Feedback appreciated--- I'm sure I'll need to update this at least another time before the big day.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Re: Balkmania Mock Draft: With Explanations 6/22 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 am

Solid mock, but the Magic will not take a raw Euro. Orlando is contending now and must either take a SG or a play now big man. Ibaka is neither. The Fran debacle makes Ibaka not an option in the slightest. Orlando has shown no interest in him at all.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#3 » by Young_Star11 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:17 am

Top 11 is good. Bayless-Gordon swapping between 4 and 6 I haven't seen, but I can see sense there.

SAC might want to take Anthony Randolph at 12.

Rush at 13 for Portland makes sense if they are keeping the pick. No PGs in this range.

No idea who the Suns would want at 15.

Sixers are definitely looking for a big. Koufos, Lopez and Arthur all make sense IMO.

ORL already 'wasted' a lottery pick on Vasquez, I doubt they do it again, even at 22. SG they are after. Lee could come into play if Rush and CDR are gone (which you have).

Like the Hibbert and Batum picks.

Chalmers could go 26 to the Spurs.
Hard2dhole
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Hard2dhole » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm kinda surprised Batum's stock has dropped so much. As well as Hickson's.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by A.J. » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Solid mock. I would be so happy that Batum slips this far, but from the latest rumors it seems that he wil fall even farther. If CDR and Courtney Lee are gone, I think we should take the flyer and draft him.

It's funny how DeAndre Jordan will fall all the way to 20 after all the hype that he will be a lottery pick.

Jamont Gordon is a good player, I really like his strength for a 1 and 2 guard, and that is something we really need. If he can play PG well, i think we might have a steal.

Return to Mock Drafts