RealGM
And1: 173

RTM's 1st Round Mock (UPDATE 6/19) 

Post#1 » by RTM » Sun Jun 7, 2009 9:29 pm

Here's my stab at prediction picks 1-30:

1 - Clippers - Blake Griffin

No thought required.

2 - Grizzlies - Hasheem Thabeet

The Grizz need shot blocking and size, so I think they take a chance on Thabeet. Rubio's threats prove too scary for them.

3 - Thunder - Ricky Rubio

The Thunder won't be scared off by Rubio. The plug him in as their new dynamic PG.

4 - Kings - Jrue Holiday

They desperately need a PG, and Jrue has tons of talent, and is a great defender.

5 - Wizards - James Harden

If they don't trade the pick, they'll go for the BPA. Harden would instantly start for them, and his all around game would fit in well.

6 - T'Wolves - Tyreke Evans

The Wolves pick up the very talented Evans. He and Foye could provide a very effective combo guard back court.

7 - Warriors - Jordan Hill

I could see them going for Jennings, but I feel like they'd ultimately grab Hill if he's still on the board, as they have an abundance of guards. He'd be a much better Turiaf, and should fit in well.

8 - Knicks - Stephen Curry

A perfect D'Antoni player and LBJ's buddy. A sensible pick.

9 - Raptors - Demar DeRozan

He's perhaps the most talented player in the draft, and would fit an immediate need for the Raps.

10 - Bucks - Jonny Flynn

There's been a lot of buzz that the Bucks love Flynn, and I believe it. Sessions will likely leave, and Flynn would be an apt replacement.

11 - Nets - DeJaun Blair

The Nets could use the toughness and strength that the big fella provides. Jennings will get a look here, but I think he'll keep on sliding.

12 - Bobcats - Gerald Henderson

I can't think of any player in this draft that LB would love more. He'll come in and contribute right away.

13 - Pacers - Earl Clark

Jennings is another possibility here. But with their desire to retain Jack and with salary already committed to Ford, I think they opt to bolster their front line with Clark. He's got tons of talent, and could be a nice compliment to Granger.

14 - Suns - Brandon Jennings

I can't see Jennings sliding any further. He's too talented and too good a fit for the Suns to pass him up. Austin Daye and (if he's still available) Clark will get definite looks here.

15 - Pistons - Austin Daye

For the Pistons, it will come down to Daye or James Johnson. Talent vs. Toughness. Either are a viable pick, but I see them opting for the talented Daye, and having their own skinny 3 mentor him.

16 - Bulls - James Johnson

Johnson finds a home in Chicago, where he'd be a nice fit, especially amid rumors that TT might be shopped.

17 - 76ers - Eric Maynor

With Miller possibly a goner, they would be smart to take a PG, with Maynor, Teague and Lawson being the best choices. I think they'd like Maynor better due to his size, shooting, and leadership.

18 - T'Wovles - BJ Mullins

Mullins has tons of talent, but lots of questions surround his desire and ability to succeed. He could go as high as 15 or as low as 22, but I think the T'Wolves nab him here. He's got nice size and good potential.

19 - Hawks - Jeff Teague

With Bibby entering free agency and PG being the strongest position in the draft, I see them picking one of Lawson or Teague. Teague gets the nod here due to better shooting and higher upside. He'd fit nicely with Joe Johnson.

20 - Jazz - Tyler Hansborough

Psycho T was measured bigger than expected, which should boost his stock. He's a tough player and a winner, and would be a nice insurance policy for the Jazz in the event they can't retain both Boozer and Millsap. Sloan will love him.

21 - Hornets - Terrence Williams

The Hornets could go a few different ways here. They could nab a speedy PG in Lawson, a talented wing in Chase Budinger or Terrence Williams or a strong defender in Gani Lawal. Ultimately, I think Williams is too talented to pass up, especially when it looks like Pargo will return.

22 - Mavericks - Ty Lawson

The Mavs get good value with this pick in Lawson. He's got talent, is a leader, and addresses a need. Budinger and Lawal also might get a look here, and if Williams is still on the board, he could be their pick.

23 - Kings - Gani Lawal

The Kings pick up Lawal, who brings toughness and great defensive play to their front line. He could be a nice backup to Thompson and Hawes.

24 - Portland - Darren Collison

This pick is a prime candidate to be dealt, but in the event they keep it, I believe Collison would be a smart pick. He's a terrific defender and a stand out personality who would be a very effective backup PG for them right away. Budinger, Sam Young and Omri Casspi also get consideration, but I think that if they keep this pick, Collison should be their guy.

25 - Thunder - Chase Budinger

Budinger is too talented to fall much further. His shooting and hustle cold make him a rotation player right away.

26 - Bulls - Omri Casspi

The best players left are all forwards, so I think the Bulls picks the one with the highest upside. Omri has a nice all around game, and would spend another year polishing his game overseas before coming over.

27 - Grizzlies - DaJuan Summers

The Grizz get a guy who can come in and play behind or alongside Rudy Gay. Think of him as a more talented Hakim Warrick (who could leave Memphis as a free agent this summer). Sam Young and Derrick Brown are also options here.

28 - T'Wolves - Patrick Mills

This is a difficult pick to predict, as none of the players left really fills a need. They have plenty of combo guards and plenty of forwards. I could see this pick being traded. However, if they do keep it, I think they'd take Mills, who could be an upgrade over Telfair, and provides them with blazing quickness.

29 - Lakers - Toney Douglas

I think taking a PG makes sense for them, and two nice fits are still on the board in Nick Calathes and Toney Douglas. Neither are true PGs, but that won't matter playing next to Kobe. I give Douglas the nod here because I see a lot of Derek Fisher in him.

30 - Cavaliers - Sam Young

With Wally and Pavlovic like gone, Sam Young is a sensible pick. He's NBA ready and can play behind or alongside LeBron. A good value at 30.

On the bubble:

Nick Calathes - I think the fact that he's playing overseas might make him as a 2nd round selection more sensible. Could go late 1st round.

Wayne Ellington
- I see Ellington as a potential 1st round talent who slips and rewards a team in the 2nd (just like CDR falling to New Jersey).

Marcus Thornton - A talented scorer who MIN could take at 28 or CLE at 30. Likely an early 2nd rounder.

Thoughts?
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Re: RTM's 1st Round Mock 

Post#2 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jun 8, 2009 5:40 am

I think you're right that if Rubio's there at #3 Presti takes him... but I also think he trades him to Sacramento in a pick swap plus their #23. I think James Harden is their guy.

I hate Budinger at #25, but I have to admit the notSonics could use the outside shooting. I'd rather pick Rodrigue Beaubois. Watson & Atkins are all but gone & Livingston's knee is still tbd.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
DC2
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by DC2 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:10 am

A couple thoughts:

Budinger is too low.

The Pacers are looking at point guards, if Jennings falls, we take him.

The Nets are taking a swing man, no contest. They really don't need Blair.

Hansbrough is too low. I see him going 13th, 14th, or 16th.

That's pretty much it.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#4 » by john2jer » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:17 pm

#6 and #18 look great for the Wolves. You screwed us at #28 by having Casspi and Summers go right before us. :-) Mills is a solid 3rd point guard for us, though.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,779

Post#5 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:29 pm

john2jer wrote:#6 and #18 look great for the Wolves. You screwed us at #28 by having Casspi and Summers go right before us. :-) Mills is a solid 3rd point guard for us, though.

Best sig quote, EVER.
RTM
RealGM

Post#6 » by RTM » Mon Jun 8, 2009 8:20 pm

Dunleavy17 wrote:A couple thoughts:

Budinger is too low.

The Pacers are looking at point guards, if Jennings falls, we take him.

The Nets are taking a swing man, no contest. They really don't need Blair.

Hansbrough is too low. I see him going 13th, 14th, or 16th.

That's pretty much it.

Budinger could go higher, but I just can't see it. In your mock, you had him going 23. Mid 20s seems to be his range.

If the Pacers wanted to take Jennings, I doubt it would change my mock much. Clark and Jennings could easily switch spots.

I think Blair is too good a fit at 11 for the Nets to pass. Especially since it looks like Yi is on his way out, and Boone could be moved as well. Blair would compliment Lopez and Anderson well. I don't think Henderson is big enough for their liking, and Terrence Williams would be too big of a reach.

As for Hansbrough, his range starts and ends with the Bulls IMO (16 - 26)
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#7 » by john2jer » Tue Jun 9, 2009 1:07 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:
john2jer wrote:#6 and #18 look great for the Wolves. You screwed us at #28 by having Casspi and Summers go right before us. :-) Mills is a solid 3rd point guard for us, though.

Best sig quote, EVER.

Oh I'll have my revenge for his evil mock. :evil:
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
RTM
RealGM

Post#8 » by RTM » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 am

UPDATE 6/13

They'd be stupid not to.

I can't shake the feeling Thabeet's their guy.

3 - Thunder - James Harden

Get their starting 2 with passing/handling skills to compliment Westbrook.

4 - Kings - Ricky Rubio

Lady luck smiles, they get their starting PG.

5 - Wizards - Stephen Curry

Wiz grab Curry, who would fit in or bring back value in a trade to a team that covets him.

The Wolves nab him to compliment Foye (both can handle the ball, one shoots, one drives).

7 - Warriors - Brandon Jennings

They decide he's the best fit for now and the future.

8 - Knicks - Jrue Holiday

Could take DeRozan, but grab holiday who has tons of upside. May try to trade for Curry at 5.

Raptors get an athletic freak to bolster their wing positions.

10 - Bucks - Jonny Flynn

It's either Flynn as Sessions insurance or Hill as CV insurance. I think Flynn's leadership and charisma wins out.

11 - Nets - Jordan Hill

Nets have the perfect big fall into their laps (again).

I'm convinced that Henderson would be LB's guy.

13 - Pacers - DeJaun Blair

Indy grabs a physical bruiser to team with Hibbert and compliment the outside game of Granger and Murphy.

14 - Suns - Earl Clark

This is an upside pick, and Amare insurance. Could opt for a PG (Lawson, Maynor).

15 - Pistons - BJ Mullins

I think this pick comes down to Daye or Mullins (two guys with tons of potential), and Mullins gets the nod due to his strength and size.

16 - Bulls - Tyler Hansbrough

I think they opt for Tyler over James Johnson due to his winning pedigree (like they did with the Noah pick).

17 - 76ers - Eric Maynor

They grab a PG who can/prefers to play uptempo, and can shoot. Teague could go here.

18 - T'Wovles - Terrence Williams

Williams is an immediate upgrade over Brewer, and a more balanced replacement for Mike Miller, who could be moved this summer.

19 - Hawks - Jeff Teague

He's a dynamic scoring guard who could be a great compliment to JJ. Maynor would be preferred if he's still available.

20 - Jazz - James Johnson

He's a tough forward who can play right away and be tamed/improved by Sloan and Deron.

21 - Hornets - Gani Lawal

New Orleans desperately needs a bruiser, and with Pargo looking like he'll return, opt for the best big man/defender left.

22 - Mavericks - Ty Lawson

Ty slips, and the Mavs get their new backup PG.

23 - Kings - Austin Daye

The Kings grab Daye based on potential. He could be a steal this late.

24 - Portland - Omri Casspi

Portland doesn't have much room for rookies, so assuming they don't trade this pick, they select a well rounded player with upside who will stay overseas for a year or two.

25 - Thunder - Chase Budinger

OKC could use his shooting and hustle, and he's a good value pick this late.

26 - Bulls - DaJuan Summers

Summers could provide what Tim Thomas did in limited minutes with great potential to improve and play either forward position.

27 - Grizzlies - Darren Collison

The Grizz grab an NBA ready backup PG and a proven winner at every level.

28 - T'Wolves - Sam Young

He's ready to play now, is another palyer who can immediately improve their wing positions.

29 - Lakers - Jonas Jerebko

LA takes a flier on a very versatile and talented forward who will spend another year or two overseas. Would fit in great playing next to Kobe.

30 - Cavaliers - Taj Gibson

The Cavs risk losing AV, and are old and slow up front. Taj measured better than expected, has elite athleticism and can impact games with his shot blocking.

1st Round Bubble:

Nick Calathes, Patrick Mills, Wayne Ellington
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,603

Re: RTM's 1st Round Mock (UPDATE 6/13) 

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 am

Looks accurate. Not sure about the Wolves taking T Will and I think the Warriors opt for Jrue over Jennings as he fits better with Ellis, but we'll see
RTM
RealGM

Re: RTM's 1st Round Mock (UPDATE 6/13) 

Post#10 » by RTM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:39 am

Duh.

They need the size and shot blocking.

3 - Thunder - James Harden

Nab a starting SG that compliments their core.

4 - Kings - Ricky Rubio

Rubio falls to the team that could use him most.

5 - Wizards - Jordan Hill

If they keep the pick, I think they like what Hill brings.

The Wolves grab a talented combo guard to compliment Foye.

7 - Warriors - Terrence Williams

Ellis doesn't want a PG, so the Warriors reach for they guy they've like all along.

8 - Knicks - Stephen Curry

Knicks luck out,. get their guy in Curry.

Raptors get their man.

10 - Bucks - Jonny Flynn

Bucks like Flynn's leadership, pick him as lead guard of future.

11 - Nets - Earl Clark

Nets grab the big with the best upside.

With T-Will off the board, Henderson is the logical pick.

13 - Pacers - Brandon Jennings

Indy gets a talented PG that fits their system.

14 - Suns - Jrue Holiday

With his talent Jrue could be a steal here with Nash is his mentor.

15 - Pistons - Austin Daye

Daye gets the nod due to impressive workouts, skill and position.

16 - Bulls - Jeff Teague

Chicago gets Gordon insurance in Teague.

17 - 76ers - Ty Lawson

Philly gets a proven floor leader.

18 - T'Wovles - BJ Mullins

Minny gets a center with tons of potential.

19 - Hawks - Eric Maynor

Maynor would be a great PG for the Hawks, either as a starter or reserve.

20 - Jazz - Tyler Hansbrough

Utah gets a perfect Sloan player, provides Boozer insurance.

21 - Hornets - DeJuan Blair

New Orleans gets a much needed bruiser, injury worries makes him slide, but he's a steal here.

22 - Mavericks - Chase Budinger

The Mavs get another shooter in Budinger.

23 - Kings - James Johnson

The Kings grab Johnson, who can play either forward slot right away.

24 - Portland - Omri Casspi

Casspi is yet another talented international player picked and stashed away for a year or two.

25 - Thunder - Rodrigue Beaubois

The Thunder get a young PG who has a chance to be good and doesn't need to come over yet.

26 - Bulls - DaJuan Summers

Summers is talented, can play both forward slots, and shoot. A good fit.

27 - Grizzlies - Darren Collison

Collison is an NBA ready backup PG and a proven winner at every level.

28 - T'Wolves - Nick Calathes

He's a guy who can come over and have a big impact in a few years.

29 - Lakers - Jonas Jerebko

LA gets a versatile forward who could be a better Luke Walton, and won't come over right away.

30 - Cavaliers - Demarre Carroll

The Cavs get a high energy 4 that could be a player in the Turiaf mold.

Return to Mock Drafts