Trade restriction on players received in trade

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Trade restriction on players received in trade 

Post#1 » by d-train » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:28 am

I have 2 questions about the Blazers recent trade with Kings. Blazers traded Bazemore and Tolliver, and received Ariza, Swanigan, and Gabriel.

1. My reading of the CBA says when the traded player was signed with cap room and not an exception, the players received can be traded without a period of no-trade. Blazers acquired Bazemore from trade of Turner, who was signed with cap room. Does this mean the players Blazers acquired from trading Bazemore can be traded without a period of no-trade?

2. If the players (Ariza, Swanigan, and Gabriel) are subject to a no-trade period unless traded "immediately," what does "immediately" mean? I noticed in the CBA FAQ, "immediately" sometimes means immediately and sometimes it means within 48 hours.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Trade restriction on players received in trade 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:16 pm

1 You read incorrectly. When a player is acquired IN TRADE using cap room, there is no re-trade restriction for the team who just acquired him.
2 I'm not sure where "immediately" comes from, so it is hard to respond to the context. But a player otherwise subject to the 2 month restriction can be traded at any time (including "immediately") IF there is no aggregation of his contract for trade-matching purposes in that subsequent trade.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Trade restriction on players received in trade 

Post#3 » by d-train » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm

DBoys wrote:1 You read incorrectly. When a player is acquired IN TRADE using cap room, there is no re-trade restriction for the team who just acquired him.

2 I'm not sure where "immediately" comes from, so it is hard to respond to the context. But a player otherwise subject to the 2 month restriction can be traded at any time (including "immediately") IF there is no aggregation of his contract for trade-matching purposes in that subsequent trade.

I did read it incorrectly. I get now, thank you.

Return to CBA & Business