Buffalo Allstars to square off against Italian National Team

Moderator: jman3134

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Buffalo Allstars to square off against Italian National Team 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Medaille College Sport Management, Buffalo Pro Hoops, Inc. and the newly formed ABA Buffalo Sharks are sponsoring an international exhibition game against the Italian National Basketball Team. The two teams meet June 23, 2008 at 7pm at the Medaille College Sullivan Center on Agazziz Circle.
The ABA Buffalo Sharks' season begins in November 2008. The All-Stars are led by Buffalo NY natives Karl Rainey and Fran Snyder, Jr. and will be joined by Nick Perioli, a standout point guard from Syracuse.

Dr. Rich Jacob, no stranger to the world of basketball, will coach Buffalo. Dr. Jacob has spent 29 years coaching at all levels. From 1995-1999, he was the Coach of Medaille College. In 1996, Jacob was influential in helping Medaille become an officially recognized NCAA program. That same year, he led the team to an NSCA Final Four appearance. In 2005, Dr. Jacob would usher in a new era of professional basketball in Buffalo; he became the Head Coach and General Manager of the ABA's Buffalo Rapids.

The Sharks are owned by Vincent Lesh, a native Buffalonian who is focused on solidifying the future of professional basketball in Buffalo. He is an established national entertainment promoter who has operated in Western New York for over 25 years.

Buffalo's opponents for the game, the Italian National Team has featured two NBA players, Marco Belinelli and Andrea Bargnani of the Toronto Raptors. Bargnani was the first overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft. For ticket information, visit www.buffalosharks.com or contact Buffalo Pro Hoops, Inc. 716 565 1730. Tickets: $5.00 General Admission. Or fax 716 565 7203 or email buffaloprohoops@yahoo.com. A press conference is scheduled for Thursday, June 12 at 1pm at Club Infinity, 8166 Main Street, Williamsville NY 14221 or visit www.abalive.com.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3658250

Personally, I feel that unless they start picking up former talent from Buffalo University, they may lose handidly. Bargs is no joke on the international level and neither is Belinelli, Gigli, Mancinelli etc. These guys are a pretty solid national team and should not lose unless the NBA and experienced talent decides to opt out of this game to make room for the reserves. However, with ABA rules and Buffalo University talent like Turner Battle, this game could get a bit more interesting. Still, I would like to see it on TV or something to entertain me in the dry spell of hoops that is the summer.
Nuzzo
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Buffalo Allstars to square off against Italian National Team 

Post#2 » by Nuzzo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Great marketing move by ABA and Buffalo Sharks ownership...and only 5 bucks.

I cannot find Buffalo roster, if they don't add some NBA talent this game will be ugly.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Buffalo Allstars to square off against Italian National Team 

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Yeah, in the article they mention three local talents, but if that is all they can offer, they may be in for a rude awakening.

Return to Minor Leagues