Victor Wembanyama Wins 23-24 NBA Rookie Of The Year With Unanimous Vote

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Victor Wembanyama Wins 23-24 NBA Rookie Of The Year With Unanimous Vote 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 7, 2024 12:48 am

Victor Wembanyama is the recipient of the Wilt Chamberlain Trophy as the 2023-24 NBA Rookie of the Year.

Wembanyama is the third player to earn the honor with the San Antonio Spurs, joining David Robinson (1989-90) and Tim Duncan (1997-98).

Wembanyama received all 99 first-place votes from a media panel, making him the first unanimous NBA Rookie of the Year since Karl-Anthony Towns in the 2015-16 season.

In the 2023-24 regular season, Wembanyama led all rookies in points, rebounds and blocks per game, in addition to ranking fourth in assists and second in steals per game.  He is the second rookie to lead all NBA players in blocks per game in a season, joining Manute Bol (1985-86).  Wembanyama and Bol are also the only two rookies to lead the NBA in total blocks in a season since blocks were first recorded in the 1973-74 season.     

Wembanyama became the first player to average at least 20.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in fewer than 30 minutes per game in a season.  He is also the first player to have at least 1,500 points, 700 rebounds, 250 assists, 250 blocks and 100 three-pointers made in a season.

Via RealGM Staff Report

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,659

Re: Victor Wembanyama Wins 23-24 NBA Rookie Of The Year With Unanimous Vote 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Tue May 7, 2024 2:37 am

I get what the Chet fans will argue, but I think this is the correct result. Wemby is the #1 on the Spurs and Chet is #3. Much easier to be #3 as a rookie.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#3 » by ozwizard8 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:38 am

winforlose wrote:I get what the Chet fans will argue, but I think this is the correct result. Wemby is the #1 on the Spurs and Chet is #3. Much easier to be #3 as a rookie.

Much harder to play in a winning team then tanking team though.
Players take load-management off days against Spurs.
They get 15 pt lead and then coast.

Unanimous is just doesn't make sense for me. The first half of the season Chet looked better so at least some votes would've been expected. People gone with the late March-April hype.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 562

Post#4 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:48 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
winforlose wrote:I get what the Chet fans will argue, but I think this is the correct result. Wemby is the #1 on the Spurs and Chet is #3. Much easier to be #3 as a rookie.

Unanimous is just doesn't make sense for me. The first half of the season Chet looked better so at least some votes would've been expected. People gone with the late March-April hype.

Would you draft Chet over Wemby if you were starting a team tomorrow based on their respective rookie seasons?
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#5 » by ozwizard8 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:50 am

Ssj16 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

Would you draft Chet over Wemby if you were starting a team tomorrow based on their respective rookie seasons?

Thats not the award for.

Imagine T.Maxey was rookie this year and posted 29ppg, 10apg or sth. That'd mean he deserves ROY.
However, I'd still take Wemby for potential upside.

So Chet vs Wemby, the answer is Wemby for value, future upside. Even for this years performance, some may argue Wemby is better but I really dont think he was unanimously better.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,229

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Tue May 7, 2024 4:08 am

Congratulations, Wemby!

Well earned and deserved!

This is just the beginning!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
napdash
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#7 » by napdash » Tue May 7, 2024 5:42 am

G R E Y wrote:Congratulations, Wemby!

Well earned and deserved!

This is just the beginning!

I'm sure he's reading this lol
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,314

Post#8 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 7, 2024 6:08 am

Wemby got 2 years before he as old as ant and they start saying he over rated lol
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 84

Post#9 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:49 am

Chet is a unanimous 2. He would’ve won it most years. He will make an All Defensive Team someday and also an All Star Team or two.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 562

Post#10 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:34 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Much harder to play in a winning team then tanking team though.

Thats not the award for.

Imagine T.Maxey was rookie this year and posted 29ppg, 10apg or sth. That'd mean he deserves ROY.
However, I'd still take Wemby for potential upside.

So Chet vs Wemby, the answer is Wemby for value, future upside. Even for this years performance, some may argue Wemby is better but I really dont think he was unanimously better.

Lol, your analogy doesn't make sense because Wemby has better individual stats than Chet this season, hence why he won rookie of the year.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#11 » by shakes0 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:46 pm

No one is a bigger Chet fan than me and I'll be first to say that anyone arguing that Chet should've won this is delusional.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,559

Post#12 » by GoSixersBro » Tue May 7, 2024 2:26 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:

You just made this up in your head then applied it to Wemby's entire season lol
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016

Return to Wiretap Discussion