J.J. Redick Considered Favorite For Lakers, Decision Could Be Delayed Until After Finals

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

J.J. Redick Considered Favorite For Lakers, Decision Could Be Delayed Until After Finals 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 15, 2024 7:23 pm

J.J. Redick is considered by many to be the early favorite to become the next head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. 

The Lakers have been slow to advance their search, but have scheduled a number of interviews for the coming days. The Washington Wizards are the only other team to currently have a head coaching vacancy and are not believed to be considering the same candidates.

If Redick is hired by the Lakers, the timing of an announcement could be delayed until after the conclusion of The Finals. Redick is part of ESPN/ABC's lead broadcast team after he replaced Doc Rivers midseason when he returned to coaching with the Milwaukee Bucks. ESPN parted ways with their longtime lead analysts Jeff Van Gunde and Mark Jackson last summer.

Via Marc Stein/The Stein Line

Skipwhethers
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: J.J. Redick Considered Favorite For Lakers, Decision Could Be Delayed Until After Finals 

Post#2 » by Skipwhethers » Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 pm

Good lord please don't do this! It seems like a lot of front offices are looking for the next Steve Kerr, but they don't realize that his success with Golden State is an anomaly. It's very rare for someone without any coaching experience at any level to find immediate success. The coaching carousel continues... :banghead:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,960

Re: J.J. Redick Considered Favorite For Lakers, Decision Could Be Delayed Until After Finals 

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Wed May 15, 2024 10:27 pm

Skipwhethers wrote:Good lord please don't do this! It seems like a lot of front offices are looking for the next Steve Kerr, but they don't realize that his success with Golden State is an anomaly. It's very rare for someone without any coaching experience at any level to find immediate success. The coaching carousel continues... :banghead:

I hope they're waiting until after the finals to pursue Tom Thibodeau, just because I'd love the concept of Tom Thibodeau just not giving a crap what LeBron thinks.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 85

Post#4 » by elmdawgg69 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:46 am

dougthonus wrote:
Skipwhethers wrote:Good lord please don't do this! It seems like a lot of front offices are looking for the next Steve Kerr, but they don't realize that his success with Golden State is an anomaly. It's very rare for someone without any coaching experience at any level to find immediate success. The coaching carousel continues... :banghead:

I hope they're waiting until after the finals to pursue Tom Thibodeau, just because I'd love the concept of Tom Thibodeau just not giving a crap what LeBron thinks.

Before reading your whole quote, I was going to say there’s no way Lebron would allow Thibodeau to get anywhere near him or his son.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 85

Post#5 » by elmdawgg69 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 am

I disagree. Guys who leave the broadcasting booth or who had experience as a GM end up doing well in coaching. This is because only the really good and smart broadcasters get jobs. Mark Jackson and Steve Kerr are examples. So is Kevin McHale.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 322

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu May 16, 2024 4:52 pm

At this point, screw it; go with J.J.. The ship has been sinking in LA for awhile anyways.

Return to Wiretap Discussion