Mat Ishbia: We Made A Calculated Decision On Second Apron

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Mat Ishbia: We Made A Calculated Decision On Second Apron 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:05 pm

Mat Ishbia assumed ownership of the Phoenix Suns shortly before the NBA instituted a new collective bargaining agreement with a punitive second luxury tax apron. The second apron was designed to keep teams from maintaining a high payroll over an extended period of time, but the Suns responded by going deeply into it to maximize their chances of winning a title with a core of Kevin Durant and Devin Booker.

"I understand all the rules that come with the second apron. I understand exactly what the CBA tried to do," Ishbia told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. "I read it, I know it inside and out, and we made a calculated decision that we think the team with the best players wins. Would I rather have Brad Beal, Kevin Durant and Devin Booker than just having two of those guys? I'd rather have all three a hundred times out of a hundred, and I don't think there's another GM or owner or CEO that wouldn't say that exact same thing.

"So now how do you maneuver around that? Well, you have to differentiate yourself. ... I have to create an environment where [we're] trying to be the best franchise in sports where the players want to come play."

Durant endorses the strategy of Ishbia.

"That's what you're supposed to do as an owner," Durant told ESPN. "It's about swinging for the fences every year.

"What else are you supposed to do? Sit back and hope that you get a draft pick that turns out to be Victor [Wembanyama]? No."

While the Suns made a number of bold moves over the past year, they have been uneven on the floor as Beal and Booker have struggled with injuries. The Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers and Oklahoma City Thunder are a fairly firm top-4 the Suns are trailing.

"If we don't win this year ... which is possible... then we'll say, 'OK, what can we do better to try to win next year? Do I need to adjust? Do we need to run different plays? Do we need different players? Do [we] change something? What do I do?" Ishbia says. "All I'm focused on is how do we win right now. I'm not thinking about what our 2031 draft [is] going to look like. I'm excited about the 2024 playoffs."

"Everybody here is on the same page," Booker told ESPN. "We're in win-now mode. We want excellence. We know it's not going to be easy. It's a new team, but when you give up that much, we're trying to win this year and years to come."

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 114

Re: Mat Ishbia: We Made A Calculated Decision On Second Apron 

Post#2 » by njknicks » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:52 pm

Credit Suns new ownership for going all in.

KD’s individual greatness aside, the challenge for Suns is 2 of their main 3 core are 30+ years old dealing with history of major injuries — and all their main skillset is high volume scoring ( non-complimentary skillset ).
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#3 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:23 am

This is also known as selling the farm. Who cares about the future 2024 is our sole focus.

Until 2031 actually comes around and then the regret kicks in.
Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#4 » by Guy » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:15 am

njknicks wrote:Credit Suns new ownership for going all in.

KD’s individual greatness aside, the challenge for Suns is 2 of their main 3 core are 30+ years old dealing with history of major injuries — and all their main skillset is high volume scoring ( non-complimentary skillset ).

The irony of the Suns owner to yap at Jokic for a non issue, only to make Jokic resent PHX and smoke them every game.
Raptors Board

Lord_Zedd wrote:That was the best worst game I've ever seen in a long time.

The Bulls are forever our fathers
Charlie-Runkle
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Charlie-Runkle » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:03 am

Guy wrote:

The irony of the Suns owner to yap at Jokic for a non issue, only to make Jokic resent PHX and smoke them every game.

Like Wednesday when the Suns beat them in Denver by 10 without Book?
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Charlie-Runkle wrote:
Guy wrote:

You’re going to take 1 game or 10 games to justify this?
MitchB3
Starter

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:51 pm

This is by far not the smartest move. The Suns have 4 injury prone players(Beal, Booker, Nurkic, KD, and two of those guys haven’t gotten injured yet) , no bench, and a coach that doesn’t really fit them. The suns aren’t contenders they are pretenders.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:48 pm

Charlie-Runkle wrote:
Guy wrote:

Like how the Wolves swept them?

Return to Wiretap Discussion