Lakers Interested In J.J. Redick, Tyronn Lue For Head Coaching Job

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Lakers Interested In J.J. Redick, Tyronn Lue For Head Coaching Job 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 3, 2024 2:51 am

The Los Angeles Lakers could have interest in both J.J. Redick and Tyron Lue as their next head coach.

Redick recently launched a podcast with LeBron James and has also been considered as a head coach candidate for the Toronto Raptors last offseason and the Charlotte Hornets this year. Redick is also currently a lead game analyst for ESPN.

"J.J. is certainly a real candidate if they do open up this coaching search," said Dave McMenamin on the Dan Patrick Show. "There's I'd say half a dozen folks out there, including possibly Tyronn Lue. There are several viable candidates who will get an interview."

Lue is under contract with the Los Angeles Clippers for the 24-25 season. Lue was a candidate for the Lakers in 2019, but they ultimately hired Frank Vogel. Lue became an assistant coach with the Clippers under Doc Rivers before replacing him after the 19-20 season.

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

YourGM99
Junior
And1: 63

Re: Lakers Interested In J.J. Redick, Tyronn Lue For Head Coaching Job 

Post#2 » by YourGM99 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:22 am

Do not hire another coach with no experience if the expectation is to win a championship.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Post#3 » by Future Coach » Fri May 3, 2024 5:19 am

YourGM99 wrote:Do not hire another coach with no experience if the expectation is to win a championship.

I don't think anyone is logically expecting a championship anytime soon for the Lakers. I think they would be perfectly content with a 4/5/6 seed, but really they will settle for another coach who can help them struggle for a play-in spot and they can use as a scapegoat and fire in 2-3 years.
Ridicululz
Rookie
And1: 1,709

Post#4 » by Ridicululz » Fri May 3, 2024 5:29 am

Podcast gonna be awkward when JJ gets thrown under the bus
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#5 » by alienpick » Fri May 3, 2024 5:33 am

Future Coach wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:Do not hire another coach with no experience if the expectation is to win a championship.

I don't think anyone is logically expecting a championship anytime soon for the Lakers. I think they would be perfectly content with a 4/5/6 seed, but really they will settle for another coach who can help them struggle for a play-in spot and they can use as a scapegoat and fire in 2-3 years.

Then just keep Ham. You're going to be paying him for the next three years anyway. Why add another head coach salary to the payroll if you are just going to can him too?
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,857

Post#6 » by Beethoven » Fri May 3, 2024 8:13 am

I want Rondo
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#7 » by Hans1984 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:33 am

If those are the options we might aswell keep Ham. :banghead:
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,261

Post#8 » by J-Mezzy » Fri May 3, 2024 9:58 am

JJ playing this like a pro

Publicly kiss up to LeBron as the goat
Publicly diminish the 80s and 90s to make LeBron’s claim to goat more legitimate
Start podcast kissing up to LeBron

Now Lebron has chosen him as one of the 2 coaches he wants along with 164 million :lol:
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#9 » by TheCage4 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:06 am

Please, please, hire JJ :pray:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
airjordanair
Senior
And1: 32

Post#10 » by airjordanair » Fri May 3, 2024 11:53 am

I remember everyone wanting Darvin Ham..look how that panned out.

Now in untried JJ is being courted .. yikes .. all those egos will tear him apart.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Post#11 » by Future Coach » Fri May 3, 2024 2:46 pm

alienpick wrote:
Future Coach wrote:

Then just keep Ham. You're going to be paying him for the next three years anyway. Why add another head coach salary to the payroll if you are just going to can him too?

Because Ham is this off-season's scapegoat for the Lakers. The GM isn't going to resign or get fired, & they are not going to try to reset their team by trading LeBron or AD, & they can't realistically make any significantly meaningful trades. But what they can do is fire the coach & suggest a new coach will make a meaningful difference so enough fans continue to buy tickets as the fight for the play-in next season. They'll likely do a real roster reset once LeBron retires in 2-3 years, & at that point they will likely be looking to hire another new coach.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 240

Post#12 » by tigerae » Fri May 3, 2024 7:29 pm

Future Coach wrote:
alienpick wrote:
Future Coach wrote:

Because Ham is this off-season's scapegoat for the Lakers. The GM isn't going to resign or get fired, & they are not going to try to reset their team by trading LeBron or AD, & they can't realistically make any significantly meaningful trades. But what they can do is fire the coach & suggest a new coach will make a meaningful difference so enough fans continue to buy tickets as the fight for the play-in next season. They'll likely do a real roster reset once LeBron retires in 2-3 years, & at that point they will likely be looking to hire another new coach.

The Lakers are looking to content but then hore inexperienced coaches and make dumb moves in the off season. Vincent over Schroder, no real center, etc.

Lue would be good, so could Budenholzer, Mark Jackson. JJ could be a good assistant coach, but definitely not a head coach at this time. He has zero experience. Pelinka is just terrible for even having him on the list.

Return to Wiretap Discussion