Suns Still Deciding Future Of Frank Vogel As Head Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Suns Still Deciding Future Of Frank Vogel As Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 3, 2024 8:33 pm

The Phoenix Suns are still deciding whether they will retain Frank Vogel as head coach and what they can do to add to his coaching staff if he isn't fired.

"Phoenix is still deciding about Frank Vogel's future. Those conversations are ongoing. There's a world where they can make changes on his coaching staff. They lost Kevin Young, their top assistant, to BYU as a head coach.

"They can also make a decision to move on from Frank Vogel. They're not there yet, I'm told."

Vogel spoke confidently earlier this week about the support he is receiving from Mat Ishbia as head coach, but The Athletic reported of issues some key stakeholders had with his coaching style and that the Suns would take a "hard look" at making a change.

tyler_rex
Sophomore
And1: 19

Re: Suns Still Deciding Future Of Frank Vogel As Head Coach 

Post#2 » by tyler_rex » Fri May 3, 2024 8:58 pm

No prominent coach or high level assistant is going to touch the Suns job, you are basically on a 1 yr deal and has an owner who makes irrational decisions with foresight on the future. As we saw this team cannot win as constructed and unless they trade Booker or KD there is no way to improve the roster
offtherimhoops
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#3 » by offtherimhoops » Fri May 3, 2024 10:19 pm

They should just keep him IMO. Suns have such larger issues with the roster construction, and Vogel is a solid coach, just couldn't do much this year.
Rek
Senior
And1: 136

Post#4 » by Rek » Sat May 4, 2024 12:15 am

offtherimhoops wrote:They should just keep him IMO. Suns have such larger issues with the roster construction, and Vogel is a solid coach, just couldn't do much this year.

Trade away all of your defenders, then hire a defensive head coach, then blame him for the team's performance.

I can only assume that Phoenix is paying royalties to Pelinka for this script.

They absolutely should not fire this guy. If they need some changes offensively, they can change up his coaching staff.

But, I watched this team play and offense wasn't the issue. The complete lack of quality defenders and the ghosts of Nurkic's knees past were the issues I saw repeatedly.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 81

Post#5 » by BigTex » Sat May 4, 2024 7:40 am

Changing coaches in Phoenix is like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. I’m surprised Vogel wants to stay.

Return to Wiretap Discussion