Magic, Sixers Known To Have Interest In Signing Paul George

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Magic, Sixers Known To Have Interest In Signing Paul George 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat May 4, 2024 12:52 pm

Paul George is widely expected to decline his $48.8 million player option for next season with the LA Clippers. After LA signed Kawhi Leonard to an extension, it was thought that George and the Clippers would agree to an extension. However, that hasn't happened, and George now appears poised to enter free agency this summer.

Two teams with known interest in George are the Orlando Magic and Philadelphia 76ers. Both teams have the ability to create the necessary cap space to sign the veteran wing to a deal worth up to his projected max salary of just over $49 million dollars for 2024-25.

George has continued to express he'd like to re-sign with LA. The Clippers have reportedly not offered him a max deal, and that's held things up. LA hopes that George, like Leonard did, will take less than the maximum to allow the team to dip below the second apron. That would free up the Clippers to make more roster moves to add talent around their stars.

Via Sam Amick and Law Murray/The Athletic

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Re: Magic, Sixers Known To Have Interest In Signing Paul George 

Post#2 » by danfantastk32 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:25 pm

"Hey....I wanna overpay some guy who's really a tier b star to miss about half his playing time! Seems like other teams are enjoying that process...so let's get in on it"
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#3 » by Hipster Doofus » Sat May 4, 2024 2:38 pm

Please no. We don't want a glorified Tobias Harris 2.0.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#4 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat May 4, 2024 3:49 pm

Paul George might look the big move 76ers need to make but I am sure signing someone who close to the end of their career is a huge mistake that cannot be repeated by us.

See how Elton Brand,Chris Webber & James Harden turned out for us. Yes he played 74 games this years but look at his earlier seasons in Clipperland.

Im hoping the Clippers just resign George and take away this temptation from the 76ers.

We need someone to take help on the glass or a big when Embiid is inevitably injured so the opposing team isn't getting a million offensive rebounds.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 952

Post#5 » by Tom White » Sat May 4, 2024 4:21 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:"Hey....I wanna overpay some guy who's really a tier b star to miss about half his playing time! Seems like other teams are enjoying that process...so let's get in on it"

Ironic, coming from a Lakers fan.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 664

Post#6 » by FeatheryTouch » Sat May 4, 2024 7:12 pm

Paul George is going to be 35 next year. If I'm Orlando I definitely don't want to blow my young team's cap space on an aging wing that has an injury history like his. Orlando(and OKC for that matter) are making excellent progress with young rosters, no need to go all in on big names that are clearly on the downsides of their careers - look at the playoff results, a new generation of stars taking over.

ORL should be targeting a younger point guard rather than an aging wing IMO.

George to Philly(with Embiid's likely timeline)isn't perfect but makes a little more sense.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sat May 4, 2024 8:41 pm

FeatheryTouch wrote:Paul George is going to be 35 next year. If I'm Orlando I definitely don't want to blow my young team's cap space on an aging wing that has an injury history like his. Orlando(and OKC for that matter) are making excellent progress with young rosters, no need to go all in on big names that are clearly on the downsides of their careers - look at the playoff results, a new generation of stars taking over.

George to Philly(with Embiid's likely timeline)isn't perfect but makes a little more sense.

we're in here, along with any other name FA (think Klay) because we have a lot of cap space. I expect to hear Orlando linked to a lot of players, whether they really are or not
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#8 » by danfantastk32 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:58 pm

Tom White wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:"Hey....I wanna overpay some guy who's really a tier b star to miss about half his playing time! Seems like other teams are enjoying that process...so let's get in on it"

Ironic, coming from a Lakers fan.

Is it?? Maybe you should come read some of my posts before you paint me, jack-ass
stamp2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#9 » by stamp2 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:17 am

FeatheryTouch wrote:Paul George is going to be 35 next year. If I'm Orlando I definitely don't want to blow my young team's cap space on an aging wing that has an injury history like his. Orlando(and OKC for that matter) are making excellent progress with young rosters, no need to go all in on big names that are clearly on the downsides of their careers - look at the playoff results, a new generation of stars taking over.

Ok and who is that younger point guard that’s a FA and available? The whole issue is teams with space do not control who is on the market in any given year. Yes, Orlando could look to trade, but that requires giving up assets, so at that point it becomes cost benefit analysis (and you still have to find said young guard who a team *wants* to trade).

Sign a player who may not fit perfect/be the #1 need, and is likely older (FA will always trend older, usually after their 2nd or 3rd contracts). Or trade multiple assets requiring a likely overpay to find a better fit on the trade market for a likely disgruntled player.
FeatheryTouch
Senior

Post#10 » by FeatheryTouch » Sun May 5, 2024 10:24 am

stamp2 wrote:

Ok and who is that younger point guard that’s a FA and available? The whole issue is teams with space do not control who is on the market in any given year. Yes, Orlando could look to trade, but that requires giving up assets, so at that point it becomes cost benefit analysis (and you still have to find said young guard who a team *wants* to trade).

Sign a player who may not fit perfect/be the #1 need, and is likely older (FA will always trend older, usually after their 2nd or 3rd contracts). Or trade multiple assets requiring a likely overpay to find a better fit on the trade market for a likely disgruntled player.

You are correct that there is no top tier PG available in FA, and it's not a great class overall.

I just don't think spending $50 million a year on an older, injury-prone George who is not a great fit with the rest of the Magic roster is a wise use of their precious cap space. Where does George even slot into the starting lineup? Orlando is set at forward(their best 2 players) and the Magic won't be pushing Franz or Paolo to the bench. Same with Suggs, he's a core piece as well. Even if they do bring in George and push a member of their young core to the bench they will still have that big hole at point guard.

Orlando is probably better off keeping their cap powder dry until next season or using some of it to pick up less expensive depth pieces rather than spending it on an expensive older player that's a bad fit.

Alternatively, a trade for a PG is also possible as you say. Trae Young or Murray looks likely to be moved by the Hawks, maybe even Garland or Mitchell if the Cavs flame out and Cleveland wants a backcourt reset. What about trying to pry away LaMelo Ball? All of those dudes have flaws but are younger and fit the timeline and needs of the Magic much better than George.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun May 5, 2024 10:50 am

When has anything leaked out of Orlando? This seems tactical from the PG camp manufacturing interest. Just doesn’t seem like a smart move by Orlando considering he 35 with an injury history.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 63

Post#12 » by YourGM99 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:32 pm

FeatheryTouch wrote:
stamp2 wrote:

You are correct that there is no top tier PG available in FA, and it's not a great class overall.

I just don't think spending $50 million a year on an older, injury-prone George who is not a great fit with the rest of the Magic roster is a wise use of their precious cap space. Where does George even slot into the starting lineup? Orlando is set at forward(their best 2 players) and the Magic won't be pushing Franz or Paolo to the bench. Same with Suggs, he's a core piece as well. Even if they do bring in George and push a member of their young core to the bench they will still have that big hole at point guard.

Orlando is probably better off keeping their cap powder dry until next season or using some of it to pick up less expensive depth pieces rather than spending it on an expensive older player that's a bad fit.

Alternatively, a trade for a PG is also possible as you say. Trae Young or Murray looks likely to be moved by the Hawks, maybe even Garland or Mitchell if the Cavs flame out and Cleveland wants a backcourt reset. What about trying to pry away LaMelo Ball? All of those dudes have flaws but are younger and fit the timeline and needs of the Magic much better than George.

PG can play in the back court with Suggs. If the cap space is not used on a free agent the money will eventually go to some of their current players when they sign contract extension so it’s not like they can just keep rolling the money over to future free agency periods. It doesn’t make sense to gut their current assets for one of the players you mentioned. It makes more sense to sign PG to a less than max deal and potentially have him as a trade chip to get draft picks or younger talent.
FeatheryTouch
Senior

Post#13 » by FeatheryTouch » Sun May 5, 2024 7:31 pm

YourGM99 wrote:
FeatheryTouch wrote:
stamp2 wrote:

PG can play in the back court with Suggs. If the cap space is not used on a free agent the money will eventually go to some of their current players when they sign contract extension so it’s not like they can just keep rolling the money over to future free agency periods. It doesn’t make sense to gut their current assets for one of the players you mentioned. It makes more sense to sign PG to a less than max deal and potentially have him as a trade chip to get draft picks or younger talent.

Sorry, I just can't see Suggs and George as being a good backcourt fit. Suggs averages 2.7 assists per game, George has always played at forward and averages 3.5 apg. neither of those guys is known as a passer or creator that can consistently set the table for other guys. Who is the Orlando PG and primary ballhandler and distributor in that scenario? Do you really want to cough up all of Orlando's cap space for a 35 year old George and that ill-fitting lineup?

The Magic could use his outside shooting I'll admit, but everything else about that deal screams hard pass to me unless he's coming in on a discount.

Return to Wiretap Discussion