Pat Riley: Heat Undecided On Offering Extension To Jimmy Butler

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Pat Riley: Heat Undecided On Offering Extension To Jimmy Butler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 7, 2024 1:29 am

Jimmy Butler is eligible for a two-year contract extension with the Miami Heat worth as much as $113 million to cover the 25-26 and 26-27 seasons. Pat Riley revealed that the Heat have not internally discussed that possibility yet.

"We have not discussed that internally right now," Riley said. "We have to look at making that kind of commitment and when do we do it. We don't have to do it until 2025, actually. But we'll see. We haven't made a decision on it, and we haven't really in earnest discussed it."

Butler's injury issues will potentially be a factor in Miami's calculus.

"That's a big decision on our part to commit those kinds of resources unless you have somebody who's going to be there and available every single night," Riley said. "That's the truth."

Riley also criticized Butler's comments about the Boston Celtics and New York Knicks.

"If I was playing, Boston would be at home, New York damn sure would ... be at home," said Butler.

"I thought, 'Is that Jimmy trolling or is that Jimmy serious?' If you're not on the court playing against Boston or on the court playing against the New York Knicks, you should keep your mouth shut on the criticism of those teams," Riley said.

Via ESPN

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 114

Re: Pat Riley: Heat Undecided On Offering Extension To Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by njknicks » Tue May 7, 2024 4:15 am

Riley’s blunt truth is refreshing and what makes him among the GOATs of the game.

However, as harsh as he was on Butler & Herro for durability ( and UD for TV appearances ) … does the durability issue point back also to Miami’s sports conditioning staff & team nutritionists?

Judging by history -there is no way the Heat extend Butler : case in point D. Wade contract fallout. Butlers decline & contract demands reminiscent of Wades ( & Riley wound up showing Dwade the door).

Herro’s future with the Heat will rest on how he comes into training camp & holds up next season - given his age & “reasonable” contract, he still can continue to grow while Butler peaked out last 2 seasons.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,058

Post#3 » by WaltFrazier » Tue May 7, 2024 5:09 am

Riles is right about the Celtics Knicks comments. That was foolish attention seeking by Butler.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:50 am

Love Riley.

It appears obvious, at least IMO, that the Heat are ready to move on from Butler.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,197

Post#5 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 7, 2024 12:45 pm

If I'm Butler I'd strongly consider demanding a trade. If he is left hanging that extension may well never get offered. Not to mention the Heat's window has about closed.
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#6 » by Tamimi » Tue May 7, 2024 12:54 pm

There's a reason why Riley is the God Father of basketball. And the God Father has spoken.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 664

Post#7 » by FeatheryTouch » Tue May 7, 2024 6:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:If I'm Butler I'd strongly consider demanding a trade. If he is left hanging that extension may well never get offered. Not to mention the Heat's window has about closed.

I'm not sure why you say the Heat's window has closed, other than than Jimmy all of their key pieces(Bam/Herro/Jacquez/Rozier etc.) are young or mid-career players. The only important old guy is Butler himself.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:59 pm

Laimbeer wrote:If I'm Butler I'd strongly consider demanding a trade. If he is left hanging that extension may well never get offered. Not to mention the Heat's window has about closed.

Who says their window is closed? The Heat will always have a chance.

Return to Wiretap Discussion