NBA's Next Media Rights Deals Closing In On $7 Billion Per Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

NBA's Next Media Rights Deals Closing In On $7 Billion Per Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 8, 2024 4:20 pm

The NBA's new media rights deals could surpass $7 billion per season, which would represent an increase of nearly 170 percent from its current $2.6 billion per deals with ESPN and TNT. According to reported figures, the combined rights fees from ESPN, Amazon and NBC (or TNT) are at $6.9 billion per season.

Amazon will pay approximately $1.8 billion per season, according to Andrew Marchand of The Athletic. The deal will include the Conference Finals every other year as they will alternate with whoever wins the third rights between NBC and TNT. It also will include the NBA Cup and In-Season Tournament. 

TNT can match NBC's offer of $2.5 billion per season and talks are ongoing.

ESPN's deal with the NBA, which includes the Finals and Conference Finals on an annual basis, will cost $2.6 billion per year.

A report in 2021 indicated that the NBA was seeking anywhere between $7 billion and $8 billion per year on its next deal. After a 2023 report cooled those expectations with a doubling of the current deal a more probable target, the NBA appears to be close to reaching its goal.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Re: NBA's Next Media Rights Deals Closing In On $7 Billion Per Season 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 8, 2024 6:25 pm

If the NBA loses the TNT broadcast, it might lose something irreplaceable. I like some of the ESPN guys, but my kids aren't interested. They are always up for watching the TNT crew. Kids are the next generation of NBA consumer. Maybe NBC will do it better. But my point is that the NBA shouldn't just be looking at $$$, but should also be asking how NBC will be presenting and promoting their product.

Obviously, the NBA should also be concerned with ease of access to games. I haven't watched a local broadcast in almost 10 years. You have to have Xfinity and pay extra for a sports package. It's actually cheaper to get League Pass, where I get to watch everyone but my local team.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,257

Post#3 » by 31to6 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:34 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:If the NBA loses the TNT broadcast, it might lose something irreplaceable. I like some of the ESPN guys, but my kids aren't interested. They are always up for watching the TNT crew. Kids are the next generation of NBA consumer. Maybe NBC will do it better. But my point is that the NBA shouldn't just be looking at $$$, but should also be asking how NBC will be presenting and promoting their product.

Obviously, the NBA should also be concerned with ease of access to games. I haven't watched a local broadcast in almost 10 years. You have to have Xfinity and pay extra for a sports package. It's actually cheaper to get League Pass, where I get to watch everyone but my local team.

Re: TNT, I could do without that crew -- love them, but it's been decades with EJ, Barkley, and the Jet -- and Shaq is just mumbles -- I mean, how much more does that show have left?

As for how NBC will be presenting and promoting their product????? ROUNDBALL ROCK, ANYONE???????
DA DA DUN DUN DA DUN DA DUN
DA DA DUN DA DUN DUN DUN DA DUN
DUN DUN
DUN DUN
DA DA DUN DUN DAD DUN DA DUN
DA DA DUN DUN DUN DA DUN DUN DUN
DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN
DA DA DUN DA DUN DUN DA DUN
DA DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DA DUN DUN
DUN DA DUN DA DUN DA DA DA DA!!!!!!!!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 8, 2024 6:39 pm

31to6 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:If the NBA loses the TNT broadcast, it might lose something irreplaceable. I like some of the ESPN guys, but my kids aren't interested. They are always up for watching the TNT crew. Kids are the next generation of NBA consumer. Maybe NBC will do it better. But my point is that the NBA shouldn't just be looking at $$$, but should also be asking how NBC will be presenting and promoting their product.

Re: TNT, I could do without that crew -- love them, but it's been decades with EJ, Barkley, and the Jet -- and Shaq is just mumbles -- I mean, how much more does that show have left?

As for how NBC will be presenting and promoting their product????? ROUNDBALL ROCK, ANYONE???????
DUN DUN
DUN DUN

Helpful post... thanks for that! :o
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,425

Post#5 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:52 pm

So how high will the salary cap be? Will it jump by a lot in 1 season, or will we see a smoothing cap raise?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,155

Post#6 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed May 8, 2024 7:38 pm

31to6 wrote:

DUN DUN
DUN DUN

That sht was well over 20 years ago. Multiple generations have zero knowledge of or attachment to anything NBC did way back in the day.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 106

Post#7 » by dubbmotta » Wed May 8, 2024 7:50 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:So how high will the salary cap be? Will it jump by a lot in 1 season, or will we see a smoothing cap raise?

It would go up in increments, meaning you might see a lot of 1-2 year deals for players after their rookie contract.
31to6
RealGM

Post#8 » by 31to6 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:51 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
31to6 wrote:

DUN DUN
DUN DUN

That sht was well over 20 years ago. Multiple generations have zero knowledge of or attachment to anything NBC did way back in the day.

Sedale hook a brother up with some old school
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,155

Post#9 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed May 8, 2024 8:02 pm

31to6 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
31to6 wrote:

DUN DUN
DUN DUN

Sorry, way too busy missing my child support payments.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 8, 2024 9:08 pm

31to6 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
31to6 wrote:

DUN DUN
DUN DUN

I mean, I loved me some "Inside the NBA,with Ahmad Rashad" but other than that... that's kind of how I see the TNT broadcast, just guys hanging out, being goofy. Everyone on ESPN is yelling for no apparent reason. It's not enough to say something stupid, you've got to shout it.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:17 pm

Bigger salaries for a poorer product. Nice.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
31to6
RealGM

Post#12 » by 31to6 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:50 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Sorry, way too busy missing my child support payments.

:hug:
Make good on your commitments, you textbook replacement level player from the day!
31to6
RealGM

Post#13 » by 31to6 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:53 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I mean, I loved me some "Inside the NBA,with Ahmad Rashad" but other than that... that's kind of how I see the TNT broadcast, just guys hanging out, being goofy. Everyone on ESPN is yelling for no apparent reason. It's not enough to say something stupid, you've got to shout it.

“The Inside Stuff!” with Ahmad Rashad

I mostly ignore talking heads and watch the games. Sometimes at the gym I can feign interest in the studio blather but mostly it is embarrassing. I did like Rachel Nichols a bit but I’m not sure how that makes me feel about myself?
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#14 » by Charlesareed » Wed May 8, 2024 10:46 pm

Why are they sticking with ESPN/ABC I’d rather the keep TNT and add NBC/UNIVERSAL
Chicago Raised me
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,872

Post#15 » by Rainwater » Wed May 8, 2024 11:40 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Bigger salaries for a poorer product. Nice.

This subjective statement. If the product was so poor, the salaries wouldn’t be so high. There is a reason these networks are paying so much for the product.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 106

Post#16 » by dubbmotta » Thu May 9, 2024 12:27 am

TheCage4 wrote:Bigger salaries for a poorer product. Nice.

You can stop watching the “poor product” attendance is up with tickets at higher prices and merchandise sales are up. Not to mention teams are worth billions due to everything I named
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#17 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 9, 2024 3:55 am

Double post
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#18 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 9, 2024 3:56 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Avid nba fan here... probably watched 80ish games this season... so far. I really don't follow other sports.

I attended 5 games this year, that's about average for me.

I haven't seen more than 30 minutes of the tnt crew, less of the rest.

Honestly,I just don't give a dam about the pregame or halftime crap. I watch games, and only games, mostly on LP regular season and during playoffs I tend to record and start late so I can fast fwd through commercials and definitely skip halftime. Most importantly so the last 5 minutes only take me 10 minutes to watch, not 30.

What does the halftime crew provide as far as value added? I don't see the need personally

I do occasionally watch nba TV when no particular game is on to maybe catch a highlight or two, but maybe 2 hours this season... total.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 82

Post#19 » by eureca20 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:16 am

Charlesareed wrote:Why are they sticking with ESPN/ABC I’d rather the keep TNT and add NBC/UNIVERSAL

Well they were always going to take the highest offer. That is just business. And with that said ESPN and TNT have the right to match any offer. So they can't just choose to get rid of ESPN even if they wanted to. If TNT wants to keep the NBA they can match NBC's offer.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#20 » by Mos_Heat » Thu May 9, 2024 4:59 am

dubbmotta wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:So how high will the salary cap be? Will it jump by a lot in 1 season, or will we see a smoothing cap raise?

It would go up in increments, meaning you might see a lot of 1-2 year deals for players after their rookie contract.

Max contracts are tied to the cap now, so theres no need for short deals
:reporter:

Return to Wiretap Discussion