Frank Vogel Fired By Suns

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Frank Vogel Fired By Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 9, 2024 9:14 pm

The Phoenix Suns have fired Frank Vogel as head coach after one season. Vogel, who went 49-33 in Phoenix, was signed to a five-year, $31 million deal in June 2023. 

The Suns were eliminated by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round.

Mike Budenholzer is expected to be a prominent candidate to replace Vogel.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,228

Re: Frank Vogel Fired By Suns 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 9, 2024 9:40 pm

MIN is absolutely dismantling DEN... but in the PHX series it was the coaches fault. :crazy:

It's D'Antoni time! There isn't a move to make this team a contender... but it could be way more fun!
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 322

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu May 9, 2024 10:11 pm

Vogel got screwed over by the Lakers and now the Suns in part due to flawed rosters. Cold game out here. :noway:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,123

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 9, 2024 10:13 pm

Durant gets another coach fired. Lmao.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,092

Post#5 » by chilluminati » Thu May 9, 2024 10:53 pm

How many teams is he collecting a check from now? Is that how it works? With the way coaching turnover is so prevalent I'd be trying to take any coaching job, do terrible and get fired, and add another NBA coaching salary on top of the one I'm already getting while sitting at home. Being a terrible coach pays off, because even if you find a modicum of success, you'll continuously get hired even if you throw your last gig.
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 484

Post#6 » by SlimD235 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:27 pm

chilluminati wrote:How many teams is he collecting a check from now? Is that how it works? With the way coaching turnover is so prevalent I'd be trying to take any coaching job, do terrible and get fired, and add another NBA coaching salary on top of the one I'm already getting while sitting at home. Being a terrible coach pays off, because even if you find a modicum of success, you'll continuously get hired even if you throw your last gig.

Typically, coaches are only paid the difference if u employed. Similar to player buyouts.

Ex.
Vogel get fired by Lakers. Owed 5mil/yr
Signs with Suns for 4mil/yr.

Lakers only owe 1mil
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,838

Post#7 » by Wildcat » Thu May 9, 2024 11:45 pm

Fire the damn owner for thinking bloating your roster up with 3 guys was the right move. There's not many owners out there I think is stupid, but that dude, is up there in stupidity.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,092

Post#8 » by chilluminati » Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 am

SlimD235 wrote:
chilluminati wrote:How many teams is he collecting a check from now? Is that how it works? With the way coaching turnover is so prevalent I'd be trying to take any coaching job, do terrible and get fired, and add another NBA coaching salary on top of the one I'm already getting while sitting at home. Being a terrible coach pays off, because even if you find a modicum of success, you'll continuously get hired even if you throw your last gig.

Typically, coaches are only paid the difference if u employed. Similar to player buyouts.

Ex.
Vogel get fired by Lakers. Owed 5mil/yr
Signs with Suns for 4mil/yr.

Lakers only owe 1mil

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.
Rek
Senior
And1: 139

Post#9 » by Rek » Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:MIN is absolutely dismantling DEN... but in the PHX series it was the coaches fault. :crazy:

It's D'Antoni time! There isn't a move to make this team a contender... but it could be way more fun!

Is Pringles still coaching? That would be fun to watch...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#10 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 am

About time. Took em long enough
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 588

Post#11 » by Ssj16 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 am

Is Vogel gonna make the rest of $31 mil salary?
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 204

Post#12 » by puja21 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:53 am

Ssj16 wrote:Is Vogel gonna make the rest of $31 mil salary?

the details aren't public but for a typical coaching deal (esp for one who one a title) yes, he would get the full contract unless he signs somewhere else.
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 82

Post#13 » by t-rexCity » Fri May 10, 2024 3:02 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:MIN is absolutely dismantling DEN... but in the PHX series it was the coaches fault. :crazy:

I second that. His style of coaching is a really good fit in today's NBA. Heck, he is the grandfather of today's fast paced model. He was the first to implement the run and gun, 13 second or less.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,119

Post#14 » by ontnut » Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 am

puja21 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:Is Vogel gonna make the rest of $31 mil salary?

the details aren't public but for a typical coaching deal (esp for one who one a title) yes, he would get the full contract unless he signs somewhere else.

Yep, most coaches get paid out in full.
Which mean his 1 year deal is more than most NBA players lmao!
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 148

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:25 pm

t-rexCity wrote:

I second that. His style of coaching is a really good fit in today's NBA. Heck, he is the grandfather of today's fast paced model. He was the first to implement the run and gun, 13 second or less.

Jesus Christ, ya'll r...et...ard....ed. Mike Antoni would be by far the WORST coach for this team. They might not even make the playoffs...
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 82

Post#16 » by t-rexCity » Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:

Jesus Christ, ya'll r...et...ard....ed. Mike Antoni would be by far the WORST coach for this team. They might not even make the playoffs...

What I learnt from your comment was you believe in JC and that you like insults. Very insightful comment. Thank you for your contributions to this board
MitchB3
Starter

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:26 pm

t-rexCity wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:I second that. His style of coaching is a really good fit in today's NBA. Heck, he is the grandfather of today's fast paced model. He was the first to implement the run and gun, 13 second or less.

What I learnt from your comment was you believe in JC and that you like insults. Very insightful comment. Thank you for your contributions to this board

LOL... Alright, let me entertain this stupidity. Winning championships comes down to coaching, players, and defense. The Suns lacked all of them. Vogel wasn't the coach for this team, he didn't get the guys he wanted or needed and did the best he could with what he had. 2- Players, KD, Booking, and Beal, practically have the same play style, all are mid-range shooters who can step out and hit the 3. They did not have a playmaker, a contributor, and someone to hold it down in the paint. This team was focused on 1 side of the court, which was the offensive side. 3- DEFENSE... NOT ONE OF THESE GUYS are locked-down defender. So now, if you brought in Mike Antoni, this team would end up in the same position, 1st round exist. They don't need a coaching change they need a personnel change.
Skipwhethers
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#18 » by Skipwhethers » Fri May 10, 2024 4:35 pm

Vogel didn't deserve the blame, but this is really the only move that can be made by the Suns' brass. The roster is basically locked in place for the foreseeable future. Welcome to purgatory, Phoenix fans!
MitchB3
Starter

Post#19 » by MitchB3 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:44 pm

Skipwhethers wrote:Vogel didn't deserve the blame, but this is really the only move that can be made by the Suns' brass. The roster is basically locked in place for the foreseeable future. Welcome to purgatory, Phoenix fans!

Everyone saw this coming. Even Stevie Wonder.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,228

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri May 10, 2024 6:50 pm

t-rexCity wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:I second that. His style of coaching is a really good fit in today's NBA. Heck, he is the grandfather of today's fast paced model. He was the first to implement the run and gun, 13 second or less.

Personally, I appreciate the way he (Please Use More Appropriate Word) the word (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Slow that puppy down, let it sink in! :lol:

D'Antoni got Nash two MVP's; He got Harden one MVP. Could Booker be next. For teams that buy in, he unlocks the offense. Vogel is a defensive coach and clearly that didn't work. Since they won't be winning anything anyway... why not have some fun? Obviously PHX fans would embrace him!

Return to Wiretap Discussion