Re: Lakers Reportedly Looking For 'Grinder' As Next Head Coach

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Lakers Reportedly Looking For 'Grinder' As Next Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 14, 2024 5:41 am

Rob Pelinka is reportedly looking for the next head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers to have the characteristic of a "grinder," sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

With the Lakers expected to begin contacting coaching candidates in the coming days, James Borrego and JJ Redick are two prominent candidates for the role. 

The Lakers are also expected to interview Heat assistant Chris Quinn.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski & Dave McMenamin/ESPN

HaydukesRedux
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#2 » by HaydukesRedux » Tue May 14, 2024 1:06 pm

A "grinder" for 85% of the team? Because unless Bron buys in and stays bought in this will be as fruitful as having a new coach in their who isn't given the time to grow.

Anyone remember how Malone's coaching career began? It looked awful and Pelinka and Buss made an error putting a new coach in there when they had a short time table for success.
Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 63

Post#3 » by Toine85 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 pm

Lakers will find lots of Bronsexuals on Grindr for sure!
alienpick
Starter
And1: 620

Post#4 » by alienpick » Tue May 14, 2024 2:14 pm

The Lakers are still paying their last two coaches. "ScapeGoat" and "Cheap" are more what they are looking for.

...which I'm sure they'll easily find on Grindr
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,812

Post#5 » by Dennis 37 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:14 pm

They need a coach that tells LeBron he's off the bench and getting 20 minutes tops. Can't win with his defense and him choosing when to give effort.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Ssj16
Senior
And1: 603

Post#6 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:34 pm

Toine85 wrote:Lakers will find lots of Bronsexuals on Grindr for sure!

Lmao
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#7 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:They need a coach that tells LeBron he's off the bench and getting 20 minutes tops. Can't win with his defense and him choosing when to give effort.

This is hilarious...so you take your player with the highest +/- this season and reduce his minutes for who? Taurean Prince?...Max Christie?. If you believe Bron was the problem this year then you either weren't watching or are blinded by your Bron hate.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,101

Post#8 » by chilluminati » Tue May 14, 2024 5:53 pm

Lmao a grinder. Keep showing us how incompetent you are Rob.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#9 » by xchange55 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:28 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:They need a coach that tells LeBron he's off the bench and getting 20 minutes tops. Can't win with his defense and him choosing when to give effort.

This is hilarious...so you take your player with the highest +/- this season and reduce his minutes for who? Taurean Prince?...Max Christie?. If you believe Bron was the problem this year then you either weren't watching or are blinded by your Bron hate.

Bron can still score the ball, there is no question about that. He gets all the favorable calls, as do the Lakers as a team, so it's no surprise he has the top plus/minus on the team.

But as the prior poster said, Bron plays no defense so that costs you all the close games - that's the first big issue. Just watch the remaining playoff games. You sell all 10 guys hustling back and forth. Okay there might be a few plays here and there where it might not happen. But with Bron, it's at least half the game or more of no hustle. Worse is he starts blaming his teammates and putting his hands up when he's the guy who missed the coverage. I always laugh at how often James is seen casually walking back to the defensive end, and then there is a steal or near steal and all of sudden it's like it was shot from a cannon trying to get an easy dunk or layup.

Second big issue is Bron wants to pad his stats and carry the ball up to get assists. Problem is he is too slow and grinding the offense to halt. He expects to stand still, let the other guy do all the work to get free and then make the pass to get the assist.

I'm sure there are a number of NBA stars who are well aware of this, and would rather not play with Bron. You see Bron wanting to team up with all the other stars. When is the last time you heard a star say they want to team up with him?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,600

Post#10 » by HiRez » Tue May 14, 2024 7:18 pm

If by "grinder" they mean a stooge who will do whatever LeBron wants without question, and then accept the blame and go away once things don't work out, then sure.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,993

Post#11 » by miamiheat319 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:03 pm

Not sure what sexual orientation has to do with it but good for the Lakers for going for equality!
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#12 » by Cassius » Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 pm

I can’t believe we’ve gone this far in the thread with no mention of Dwight Howard as a potential candidate.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,525

Post#13 » by The Laker Kid » Tue May 14, 2024 11:37 pm

They need to go to Home Depot or Lowes
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#14 » by BlzMwt » Wed May 15, 2024 2:21 am

xchange55 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

Bron can still score the ball, there is no question about that. He gets all the favorable calls, as do the Lakers as a team, so it's no surprise he has the top plus/minus on the team.

But as the prior poster said, Bron plays no defense so that costs you all the close games - that's the first big issue. Just watch the remaining playoff games. You sell all 10 guys hustling back and forth. Okay there might be a few plays here and there where it might not happen. But with Bron, it's at least half the game or more of no hustle. Worse is he starts blaming his teammates and putting his hands up when he's the guy who missed the coverage. I always laugh at how often James is seen casually walking back to the defensive end, and then there is a steal or near steal and all of sudden it's like it was shot from a cannon trying to get an easy dunk or layup.

Second big issue is Bron wants to pad his stats and carry the ball up to get assists. Problem is he is too slow and grinding the offense to halt. He expects to stand still, let the other guy do all the work to get free and then make the pass to get the assist.

I'm sure there are a number of NBA stars who are well aware of this, and would rather not play with Bron. You see Bron wanting to team up with all the other stars. When is the last time you heard a star say they want to team up with him?

Lmao people just be making stuff up.

Didn't Lebron lead the league in fastbreak points this season?

When was the last time you heard Lebron or any other player say they want to team up? They don't. They're under contract lol

I'm also fairly certain Lebron had some of the highest fourth quarter scoring numbers in the league. And when he does play defense, it's in a tight game. He generally doesn't play as hard for the first three quarters or if it's a blowout. I'm not excusing it... I'm just pointing out how wrong you are.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dennis 37 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:47 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

Regardless of his production he is toxic. Blames others for his poor defensive effort, yells at his coach over coach's challenges. It matters not how good or bad a coach is, you don't do that. In the long run, he is not taking this team any further than he did this year. This team beat the Celtics in Boston without LeBron and looked happy.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#16 » by xchange55 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:50 pm

BlzMwt wrote:I'm also fairly certain Lebron had some of the highest fourth quarter scoring numbers in the league. And when he does play defense, it's in a tight game. He generally doesn't play as hard for the first three quarters or if it's a blowout. I'm not excusing it... I'm just pointing out how wrong you are.

WOW just WOW. This is the saddest most pathetic defense of a comment I've ever seen. So I said he does not play D. You say I'm completely wrong but then admit he doesn't play hard 75% of the time - so in other words you agree with me :)

Just a stat padder. Watch Joker if you want to see an elite player lifting his time, while also accumulating stats.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#17 » by BlzMwt » Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 pm

xchange55 wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:I'm also fairly certain Lebron had some of the highest fourth quarter scoring numbers in the league. And when he does play defense, it's in a tight game. He generally doesn't play as hard for the first three quarters or if it's a blowout. I'm not excusing it... I'm just pointing out how wrong you are.

WOW just WOW. This is the saddest most pathetic defense of a comment I've ever seen. So I said he does not play D. You say I'm completely wrong but then admit he doesn't play hard 75% of the time - so in other words you agree with me :)

Just a stat padder. Watch Joker if you want to see an elite player lifting his time, while also accumulating stats.

You seem to lack basic reading comprehension lol

I never said you were completely wrong. Literally never said that.

You said and I quote: "Bron plays no defense so that costs you all the close games". And I responded by saying when he does play defense, it's in a tight game. Nothing I said was inaccurate or so ridiculous to garner "WOW WOW the saddest most pathetic". Dude, relax.

And what does Jokic have to do with anything we were talking about?

You cannot deny that Lebron had a positive contribution to the Lakers this season. I'm not saying he was perfect. Nor is anyone saying he is 30 year old Lebron or comparable to Jokic. But just a stat padder is just acting like a hater.

Does he stat pad? Sure. Can you name me many stars who don't? He also contributes to winning.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Thu May 16, 2024 3:01 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

Regardless of his production he is toxic. Blames others for his poor defensive effort, yells at his coach over coach's challenges. It matters not how good or bad a coach is, you don't do that. In the long run, he is not taking this team any further than he did this year. This team beat the Celtics in Boston without LeBron and looked happy.

The Celtics mail it in sometimes. That can't be your reference of what this LA team is without Bron. The core of this team went to the WCF last season and was competitive against Den this first round series. This team is easily a lotto team without Bron. Just say you don't like him but painting the narrative that he is a net negative on a team is silly to the point it isn't worth debating. Add him to any roster in this league and it's an instant significant improvement and for probably half the teams in this league bumps them up to contender status. I get it...he's a polarizing figure. I'm a fan and he gets on my nerves sometimes. Either way...you can't deny his greatness. No other player in history would be criticized as much for the way he is performing at this big age.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dennis 37 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:16 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

The Celtics mail it in sometimes. That can't be your reference of what this LA team is without Bron. The core of this team went to the WCF last season and was competitive against Den this first round series. This team is easily a lotto team without Bron. Just say you don't like him but painting the narrative that he is a net negative on a team is silly to the point it isn't worth debating. Add him to any roster in this league and it's an instant significant improvement and for probably half the teams in this league bumps them up to contender status. I get it...he's a polarizing figure. I'm a fan and he gets on my nerves sometimes. Either way...you can't deny his greatness. No other player in history would be criticized as much for the way he is performing at this big age.

Its not his offensive talent that causes the criticism. It is the blaming of teammates for defensive errors and lack of effort on his part. It is the constant whining to the refs, calling for fouls almost before he finishes a play. No other player in history, with his talent, puts all the blame for failure on other people. You don't think that affects team chemistry?

I don't think they would be a lotto team, but if they were, add that lotto player next year in a stacked draft and start the future rather than hanging on to a toxic atmosphere which will not get them out of the first round, if they get that far.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Sat May 18, 2024 3:12 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Its not his offensive talent that causes the criticism. It is the blaming of teammates for defensive errors and lack of effort on his part. It is the constant whining to the refs, calling for fouls almost before he finishes a play. No other player in history, with his talent, puts all the blame for failure on other people. You don't think that affects team chemistry?

I don't think they would be a lotto team, but if they were, add that lotto player next year in a stacked draft and start the future rather than hanging on to a toxic atmosphere which will not get them out of the first round, if they get that far.

Let me make sure I understand you. You think you dump Bron and pick up a lotto player and now they are a better team? What college player is this magical upgrade over Bron? Plenty of stars complain...Luka, Joker, Brunson...those guys toxic too? Embiid cries and then might throw you under the bus like he did Ben Simmons. Just dump all those guys for lotto players and it's an upgrade. Of course not. Bron at 40 can't play 40 minutes and have the energy to a hard 40 on both ends. He coasts when he can, runs the offense through his teammates, and tries to conserve energy for the 4th and for key possessions. DLo, AR, Rui, Prince, Hayes, and Wood have all played the best ball of their careers with Bron. Just cause it rubs you the wrong way doesn't make it toxic. There isn't a team in the league that would say no to adding Bron. Does he have flaws?...of course. Overall, his production, knowledge and empowerment of his teammates is an asset.

Return to Wiretap Discussion