Mass Dispatch 18.0: Posting on Rival Forums, Important New..

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Re: Mass Dispatch 18.0: Posting on Rival Forums, Important N 

Post#21 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:34 am

Seems to me every team board ought to keep a thread for visiting posters from other teams who want to get into a bit of crosstalk without fear of getting snuffed. Stickied probably, our Trolls thread tends to submerge until we have a good rival coming into town.

And then, by virtue of the tacit understanding that this is the purpose of that thread only, mods can suggest rival posters take it to that quarantine thread if they want a ring to knock around in for a bit. It would prevent posters from not only getting banned but also from derailing other conversation, and still allow the rest of us to chomp popcorn and enjoy the verbal competition, same way we enjoy the on-court contest. Mods could suggest they take it outside, as it were.

But hell, even the old scottish bards used to enjoy a good flyting of rough witticisms ripping on each other. Seems to me that's half the fun of it. So long as you keep the language tame and the wits sharp.

Ok, I'm done with the topic. Just food for thought.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,006

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Sun Nov 2, 2014 2:22 am

doclinkin wrote:Seems to me every team board ought to keep a thread for visiting posters from other teams who want to get into a bit of crosstalk without fear of getting snuffed. Stickied probably, our Trolls thread tends to submerge until we have a good rival coming into town.

This is a reasonable idea, one which I support. "Visitors, if you want to come, here you go. Don't stray outside of the taped-off areas upon threat of bears."

And then, by virtue of the tacit understanding that this is the purpose of that thread only, mods can suggest rival posters take it to that quarantine thread if they want a ring to knock around in for a bit. It would prevent posters from not only getting banned but also from derailing other conversation, and still allow the rest of us to chomp popcorn and enjoy the verbal competition, same way we enjoy the on-court contest. Mods could suggest they take it outside, as it were.

Again, a sound alternative.

But hell, even the old scottish bards used to enjoy a good flyting of rough witticisms ripping on each other. Seems to me that's half the fun of it. So long as you keep the language tame and the wits sharp.

And in-person, I'm inclined to agree. That's often how friends interact. It's certainly how my buddies and I get along. The key here is to ensure an environment acceptable and inviting to the broadest range of folks, with some extra work put in for those who look for something a bit different.

Again, much obliged for your thoughts on the matter.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#23 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sun Nov 2, 2014 3:29 am

Sorry to hear about your cat Howard. I hope you can come to peace with the death. Thanks for the continued effort in keeping this site up and running smooth.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,305

Post#24 » by humanrefutation » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:17 pm

Hey Howard, sorry about Poopsie. I just got my first cat (or pet) last year, an eight week old tabby that I named Horatio. He was an obnoxious little kitten when I first got him, and I had to learn about how to raise a kitten for the first time. It was a learning experience for both of us, and now I can't imagine not having him waiting for me when I get home from work.

I can't imagine what you're going through, but I'm sure you gave Poopsie a wonderful life.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#25 » by Manocad » Thu Nov 6, 2014 12:41 pm

doclinkin wrote:But hell, even the old scottish bards used to enjoy a good flyting of rough witticisms ripping on each other. Seems to me that's half the fun of it. So long as you keep the language tame and the wits sharp.

They didn't keep the language tame.

Not surprisingly the internet in general, and certainly this forum, have gone the route of what George Carlin referred to as the "pussification of America." I remember the times when you had a beef with another kid, you met in the schoolyard, duked it out, and that was the end of it. Now we're in a time of "OMG fighting is bad OMG OMG you can't say that it will hurt someone's feelings OMG OMG" which obviously has translated to the internet pretty seamlessly. Online bullying? WTF is that? How can you be bullied when you can just turn the computer off? Ever been punched in the nose? It hurts a helluva more than "You're a doo doo head" showing up on your computer screen.

I like this forum, I really do. It's the only internet forum I've ever been a part of. BUT IT'S AN INTERNET FORUM. It's a business that goes about the business of making someone money. There's no brain surgery being done here, there's no curing of cancer being done here, and there's certainly no shaping of the world being done here. There's as much class and as little class as you'll ever see in any other setting because hey, guess what--it's just a collection of people talking over the internet like they would in a classroom, a bar, at a game, etc. If I walk into Mother's Bar in Chicago and yell, "Derrick Rose has a drooping vagina!" at the top of my lungs, people are going to yell back at me. What's not going to happen is gestapo rushing in to take me to jail for offending the sensibilities of the fine citizens of Chicago.

So get a grip. When posting "Kobe's shot selection sucks" on a Lakers board while sporting a logo/signature/avatar of another team is likened to stabbing someone in the kidney, it doesn't demonstrate a level of class/maturity by sending in the jackbooted e-thugs to drag the poster off and quietly make him/her disappear. Quite the opposite, in fact. People gonna people, yo. For sure, throw in the language filters just like any of us have to abide by in the office, church, in front of our kids, etc. But for god's sake, grow the hell up.

/old man shakes fist at cloud
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#26 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 7, 2014 3:52 am

Exactly.

And no the bards were scottish, and drunk, so not tame. Scots say c*** the way dudes say 'dude' dude. But whatever, the point stands.

Return to Mass Dispatch