The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,705

Mass Dispatch 20.0: My Pet Peeves; Users Kick A**, New Mod 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Mass Dispatch 20.0

In this week's edition of Mass Dispatch................

The Mass Matter Focuses On My Pet Peeves and “Beat The Commish” Week 10

In Ask Howard, questions on “reverse cheering” on our General NBA Board and another question from the “Anonymous GOTB User” on The “King of The GOTB” title is answered.

We then have our Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week

“Inside The Administrator's Office” unveils the newest addition to our RealGM Moderator Team and it is a past Mass Dispatch User of The Week.

Let's get right to the Mass Matter.................

The Mass Matter: My Pet Peeves and “Beat The Commish” Week 10

My Pet Peeves

Can I appeal my Read-Only Access? How do I appeal? Why did you ban my new account? I just wanted to make a new one without changing my Username. Damn Spammers!

As an Administrator, I get a boatload of questions from Users every single day and have many different tasks.

Of all of the many duties I have 7 days a week here at RealGM, I most enjoy being “The Commish”.

There is definitely a lot to do publicly and behind the scenes from being in charge of selecting Moderators, banning and suspending Users, Changing User names, writing policy and answering questions.

I love it all.

Unfortunately, there are some things that do get my blood boiling a bit and they are my pet peeves.

When a User asks “How do I appeal my GB Ban?

I'm not a mean guy at all and hate to come off as an ass but if The User just read the General Board Policy...............

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1201431

They would see the section. “How to Appeal”

When they PM me to ask about this, it shows me they did not read the policy and thus do not understand the rules of the Forum.

It makes me shake my head everytime and unfortunately after a good period of appeals, things have gone downhill because Users just do not read the policy.

I have no problems with questions but please don't let me know that you did not read the policy. It's not a good idea for your appeal.

Ehhhhhh!

Duplicate Accounts

A few times a week, there are instances where a User creates a duplicate account. Usually, it is to try to start new and leave an account with violations. I have had other cases where Users use it to talk to themselves and cowardly back themselves up to win an argument. That is a story for another time though that will be interesting and perhaps hilarious.

What really ticks me off though is when a User thinks they can just bail on a bad account and start a new.

I am a forgiving guy and Users have become Moderators even with previous suspensions. There is no reason to hide because you will be caught and any aspirations (Special User Titles are coming) you may have will be derailed.

If you forget your password, just fill out the contact us form and I will get back to you.

Please do not use a duplicate account.

SPAMMERS!

Every single day, a Spammer gets through the registration process . It is mostly because they are less obvious these days and I do not want to reject accounts of innocent Users.

I assume most of these are spambots or people who do not read this forum but if you do, don't waste your time.

Every single Spammer is quickly stopped in their tracks via a Moderator's Temporary Suspension Power and then has their account deleted by me.

Your Spam advertisement will be worthless and all the effort for nothing. Do yourself a favor and go spam somewhere else or try to find a real job although unfortunately wages have not come back in this economy. If you are desperate for money, I understand but do not bother spamming though.

I would say those three are my pet peeves and I would really prefer not to deal with any of them. At the end of the day, it's unfortunately part of the job.

There are a few more but those are for another edition.

“Beat The Commish” Week 10

I guess it was back to reality this week.

After defeating all participants the previous week, I only defeated a few this past week.

Here are all of The Users and Moderators who “Beat The Commish” in Week 10

Users

EArl: 12-1
ElectricMayhem: 11-2
The Regime: 11-2
Bish: 10-3
Deep3CL: 10-3
Hopping4Wiggins: 10-3
Slot Machine: 10-3
TheKingofSting: 10-3
Wavy Q: 10-3
DaddyBigD: 9-4
DK-All Day: 9-4
WVU: 9-4
NyCeEv0: 9-4
hermes: 8-5

Moderators

bondom34: 9-4
Geoffrey P: 9-4
kdawg32086: 8-5

You have to hand it to Earl for having such a great week at 12-1

The Users had a really good week as a whole though.. Not only did nearly ever User defeat me but they clobbered The Moderators with a winning percentage of .748 to .628

In addition, The Users have tightened the season series to 6-4.

Will their momentum continue into this week?

It is time for everyone to make their week 11 picks.

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1354135

Ohh and The Standings are updated.

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1344849

It's going to be an interesting fight to the finish.

Ask Howard

Have a question about RealGM? The Forums? An Issue you would like me to address publicly or something in general? Just post it in the Ask Howard Thread of The Mass Dispatch Forum or you could send me a PM and I just might answer it in my next column.

An Anonymous General NBA Board User Asks: What's the stance on "reverse cheering" on the GB? There will always be teams that are more disliked than others, but I've noticed an increase of "lololol team X suck" or "wooooo team x lost" type posts of late, often from fan(s) of a third party team. Essentially, posters celebrating a team X loss, rather than a team Y win.

I understand that there will be rivalries between teams, but I feel the types of posts as in the example above are best left to team forums. When they appear on the GB, especially in game threads where they can cover multiple pages, I feel it can really bring the quality of discussion down, and depending on how liberal your interpretation is, may be viewed as baiting a fan base.

I don't feel that it is any singular fan base guilty of the above, and just about every team has received the above "team x treatment", but it is a trend I'd noticed that has even extended to a few team forum mods when posting on the GB.

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Howard's Response: We do have a very strict policy on our General NBA Board. Unfortunately, our Moderators do not get everything.

That could definitely fall under baiting a fan base and derailing discussion.

However, if The Moderators are seeing this, it will be considered one of those two and regardless, it will be a strike.

That is a very good question and wish you would have allowed me to use your name.

An Anonymous General Off-Topic Board User Asks: Do you have any plans to add term limits to The “King Of The GOTB” Title?

Howard's Response: In the four months that we have had The Mass Dispatch “General Off-Topic Board User of The Month” which comes with The “King of The GOTB” Title, we have had two Kings. El Turco for the first two months and hermes is currently in his second month as King.

My plan is not to have term limits as I feel the best User should be recognized although I do not believe the same User will win more than a few months in a row although it is possible.

I am a fair guy though so the first GOTBer that sees this can open up a thread with a poll to discuss term limits for “King of The GOTB”.

It is not a guarantee even if a majority want them that I'll agree to it but plan to hear everyone out.

Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week

It is time for our Weekly Awards. If you would like to nominate a User, Thread or Moderator for an Award, just make a post on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM.

Mass Dispatch User of The Week

EastsideBucksfan

EastsideBucksfan is a wonderful contributor to our Milwaukee Bucks Forum. Since joining in 2006, they have also had a near-spotless record.

They are very knowledgeable on a number of subjects including on Milwaukee's prospective new arena and the new ownership.

It is great to have a User with many wonderful traits posting on our Forum.

Congratulations to our User of The Week EastsideBucksfan!

Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

Our Milwaukee Bucks Forum's Tobias Harris Watch Thread

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1235238

This might be RealGM's most famous thread.

It has been mentioned on Grantland and has over 5500 posts with over 150,000 views.

Back on Thursday February 21, 2013, The Orlando Magic and Milwaukee Bucks made a last-second trade in which the main parts were guard J.J. Redick and forward Tobias Harris.

As everyone, The Magic ended up getting Harris who is a promising young forward and Milwaukee got J.J. Redick who turned out to be a rental that was eventually dealt for 2 second round picks in a deal that assisted in acquiring guard Eric Bledsoe.

I've never seen fans more livid over a trade and do not blame them. I was surprised when Orlando was able to get Harris in that deal and why a team who was going nowhere (The Middle is the worst place you can be) would deal a young prospects just to try and make the playoffs.

Bucks Fans were outraged and seeing Tobias Harris do well in Orlando still has their blood boiling.

It will be an interesting night when the two teams share off on Friday.

Congratulations to our Milwaukee Bucks Forum!

Mass Dispatch Moderator of The Week

Milwaukee Bucks Forum Senior Moderator Paulpressey25

MickeyDavis and Paulpressey25 are probably the best one-two punch Moderator Team on any forum.

They moderate our Milwaukee Bucks, Milwaukee Brewers and Green Bay Packers Forum together.

MickeyDavis is a Global Moderator and one of the top Moderators on RealGM. You would think Paulpressey25 might get overlooked but he definitely does not.

Last year, Paulpressey25 was promoted to Senior Moderator to make it clear he was more than just MD's sidekick and he definitely is.

He also has the 6th most posts in The Tobias Harris Thread.

Paulpressey25 does so much for our Wisconsin Forums behind the scenes as well and am very happy to have him as a Moderator.

Congratulations to our Moderator of The Week Senior Moderator Paulpressey25!

Inside The Administrator's Office

When I started up Mass Dispatch 20 Edition ago, one of my goals was to recognize and interact with Users across our Forums.

One way I like to do this is with The RealGM User of The Week. Many quality users and even groups of fans have received the award.

While I do look around the Forums for Users who make good contributions, our NBA Trades and Transactions Moderators pointed me towards a User on that forum who had done an amazing series on each Team's Salary Cap situation. They ended up winning The User of The Week for Mass Dispatch 5.0

In my decade of being an Administrator and selecting Moderators, I instantly knew this User was Moderator material with a very high ceiling to moderate multiple forums but unfortunately there were no vacancies on our Trade Forum. I did really want to find something for them though.

Last week, after this User was the first to give their condolences for the death of my beloved cat Poopsie, I just couldn't take it anymore and decided to contact them and see if I could find them a spot on The Moderator Team.

After we had a great chat on Friday, I decided that they would be a perfect fit for our CBA & Business Forum and finalized things with them on Monday.

I am happy to introduce the newest member of The RealGM Moderator Team Smitty731.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,812

Re: Mass Dispatch 20.0: My Pet Peeves; Users Kick A**, New M 

Post#2 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Realgm's most famous thread is "Maytricks Championsip".
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,237

Post#3 » by EArl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 pm

:lift:
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,856

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Congrats Smitty! Just don't forget about your old pals on the Trade Board....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,744

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:Congrats Smitty! Just don't forget about your old pals on the Trade Board....

Thank you sir! I won't forget the Trade Board. I'll probably still be there most. Especially since the Cap Space series lives there! :D Which reminds me that I am behind on the last week of updates...
magic22s
Junior
And1: 117

Post#6 » by magic22s » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Congrats EastsideBucksfan and Paulpressey25.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,216

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Congrats Eastsidebucksfan, Paulpressey, and Smitty!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#8 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Congratulations Smitty! You have contributed a lot to the T&T board (especially the cap space series) so don't leave us hanging over there!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,341

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks Howard!

Pretty proud of all our Bucks forum users. This group of people from around Wisconsin and the world have helped make the Bucks forum one of the busiest on RealGM. We've got regulars posting 24 hours a day keeping the conversation moving.

And for the other 29 NBA teams, new Bucks owners are turning things around fast. Fear the Deer baby! Fear the Deer!
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,379

Post#10 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Earl doesn't even watch football....we should all be ashamed.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,346

Post#11 » by WhatsaTDot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:58 pm

I have had other cases where Users use it to talk to themselves and cowardly back themselves up to win an argument. That is a story for another time though that will be interesting and perhaps hilarious.

LOL - I look forward to this edition.

This place is insufferable.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#12 » by MadNESS » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 am

Big ups to my Wisconsin folks!
LAKESHOW
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#13 » by Maroko » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:06 am

No Title for RIPskaterdude ??? :evil:

Is he cursed ?

RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#14 » by RaisingArizona » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:06 am

Howard Mass wrote:Mass Dispatch 20.0

I am a forgiving guy and Users have become Moderators even with previous suspensions. There is no reason to hide because you will be caught and any aspirations (Special User Titles are coming) you may have will be derailed.

Really? I've been banned for like three years and apparently even after your suspension is over, there's a small likelihood of ever getting reinstated. If RealGM dropped their holier-than-thou approach then maybe the GB wouldn't be so stagnant.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Realgm's most famous thread is "Maytricks Championsip".

Please link me.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#16 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:48 am

ginobiliflops wrote:

Really? I've been banned for like three years and apparently even after your suspension is over, there's a small likelihood of ever getting reinstated. If RealGM dropped their holier-than-thou approach then maybe the GB wouldn't be so stagnant.

Sometimes it takes a few appeals to get your Read-Only access Status lifted.

Every case is different though.

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,751

Post#17 » by Revived » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 am

ginobiliflops wrote:

^This.

I think the GB would have much better discussion and lot more activity if they laxed on the rules. I realize it got out of control before but its better now. Go back to how it was back when the GB was actually popular.

That place is almost dead on some days now.

Last week, there wasn't even a GD thread created some days.
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#18 » by Maroko » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am

Feel free to join our Gamethread in the Miami Heat Board :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1354200

PS : You can also nominate that thread :D
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,177

Post#19 » by E86 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:17 pm

You should probably keep these down to once a month, I don't think anyone cares about mass dispatches anymore because they're so frequent now that it just feels like forum spam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,041

Post#20 » by Sofia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Put him on the wheel Howard!
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub

Return to Mass Dispatch