OT: If soccer was the #1 sport in USA

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,653

Re: OT: If soccer was the #1 sport in USA 

Post#141 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 am

Heat3 wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:So many people here don't realize that being athletic in basketball/NFL will not translate to being good in soccer if their focus was on soccer from the start.

There's more to soccer than sheer athleticism.

Kids here constantly play. It's probably the most played sport up to high school.

no, it doesn't mean that the best NFL players would be the best soccer players. but there are plenty of players that get weeded out of football that could have instead focused on soccer and maybe have been a success. those are lost opportunities. it even happens in other sports. occasionally you'll have a Jimmy Graham that plays basketball in college then all of a sudden is a star in the NFL. how many others could have done (not necessarily a star but a successful player) that if given the opportunity? there are probably plenty more but they get lost.

if American girls can become the top women players in the world, then so can the boys. The difference today is that the boys in general focus on different sports and while they may play soccer it isn't seen as a career goal.

I don't doubt there'd be an improvement, but to be the outright best is nonsense.

This isn't the only country with a ton of population focusing on soccer. There's lost opportunities in every country.

It'd take more than a higher focus on the sport to be the best. Even in this hypothetical, the way people value soccer players in this country is inherently different from other countries in reality from a youth level. So who's to say an increased focus, changes that valuation? If you counter with foreign coaches being brought in, the US did that recently to lead their national team and it didn't work out. Klinsmann wanted to uproot and decimated the flawed youth system in the states, but they refused to listen to him.

American women being the best(subjective, though there's an argument) is incomparable. The circumstances are completely different. No disrespect to women's sports.
Inspektor1312
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,363

Post#142 » by Inspektor1312 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 am

Top 10 maybe, if we're talking about leagues, just because of money. Football relies on athletic freaks a lot less than american football and basketball. You lot don't understand football. Maybe after 20 or so years of pushing the football culture. I'd start by not calling it "soccer".

If we're talking about the national team, it could be something like top 20, considering the population and the number of people who are descendants of people from footballing countries.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#143 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 am

Alatan wrote:
dosun wrote:
peja_the_legend wrote:If soccer was #1 sport in usa this board would even exist

i am from Europe and trust me,you dont want soccer to become as popular as it is here..It leaves no freaking breathing space for other sports.It dominates like NFL in Usa only 20 times worse..I'm kinda pissed it's getting so popular in Usa.

Soccer dominates in Europe because in other sports European countries are not that good/great, if we compare with the 5 most popular sports in USA, Europe only beats them in soccer and not every Europe National team.
Basketball Europe have great National teams, but USA is better;
Ice hockey USA and Canada are better;
Baseball and Football, Europe don't have that.
So of course soccer dominates in Europe, Europe and South America are soccer continents. North America is not a soccer continent. And to tell you the truth would be weird if was the other way around. lol

Lol, what an arrogant statement. Maybe USA dominates in basketball because they are not that good at soccer, the most popular sport in the world. (Of course not...) Besides nobody even plays baseball and american football except you guys.

Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Canada, many Central American countries, and Venezuela play baseball. We're even starting to get players from Australia...in baseball, not just basketball. The Major Leagues are full of players from Latin America.
American-style football is a lot less popular, but Canada plays a similar style as well.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#144 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
dosun wrote:
Soccer dominates in Europe because in other sports European countries are not that good/great, if we compare with the 5 most popular sports in USA, Europe only beats them in soccer and not every Europe National team.
So of course soccer dominates in Europe, Europe and South America are soccer continents. North America is not a soccer continent. And to tell you the truth would be weird if was the other way around. lol

Lol, what an arrogant statement. Maybe USA dominates in basketball because they are not that good at soccer, the most popular sport in the world. (Of course not...) Besides nobody even plays baseball and american football except you guys.

Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Canada, many Central American countries, and Venezuela play baseball. . The Major Leagues are full of players from Latin America. We're even starting to get players from Australia...in baseball, not just basketball.
American-style football is a lot less popular, but Canada plays a similar style as well.
maxwellcu
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#145 » by maxwellcu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 am

Oscar9992 wrote:Genetics are big part of being good in Soccer... Northern Countries will never be good enough in Soccer.

Brazilians, Argentinians, Spaniards, Germans etc. are always be a top Soccer countries, as they have 'genetics' to play it very well.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,680

Post#146 » by hype_2004 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:33 am

If Brazil can produce Pele, Ronaldo and Ronadinhos and win World cups. I don't see why the US can't replicate or surpass their success given that America has all the resources and top athletes on the grassroots level. Just imagine the NFL running backs me, receivers, Dbs and Quarterbacks started to play soccer at the grassroots level, the level of athleticism of the US is unmatched worldwide. We see it other sports like basketball, baseball, Football of course and damn they have alot really fast athletes as shown in track and field.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,680

Post#148 » by hype_2004 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 am

Inspektor1312 wrote:Top 10 maybe, if we're talking about leagues, just because of money. Football relies on athletic freaks a lot less than american football and basketball. You lot don't understand football. Maybe after 20 or so years of pushing the football culture. I'd start by not calling it "soccer".

If we're talking about the national team, it could be something like top 20, considering the population and the number of people who are descendants of people from footballing countries.

That's just it USA is a microcosm of all these countries United into 1 melting pot. They have the resources and individual athletes to be the very best in world football.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,489

Post#149 » by Saint Lazarus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:38 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:US do care about Soccer.

Lol, compared to what? Curling?

No, they just care.

Don't be ignorant.

Can't be dominant in every sport.

A whole lot of platitudes and not a lot of substance.

Soccer's like the 4th most popular sport in America, how exactly do they care?
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,653

Post#150 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:42 am

Saint Lazarus wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Lol, compared to what? Curling?

No, they just care.

Don't be ignorant.

So it has to be the most popular sport.

Okay then, so do we not care about basketball? That's the argument you're making.

I never said they cared the most about soccer.

But the US care about soccer. Why else would they want to host the WC? They want to continue driving the sport here in the states.
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#151 » by jptremblay » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 am

ken6199 wrote:There are also lifestyle. Tell me if soccer is the #1 sport in US, why would top African/Asian players want to play in cities like Liverpool or Manchester, instead of LA, New York, Chicago, Boston?

Plus, all the Latino talent will want to come to US because of more embracing culture. Now most of them play in Spain, but if they have a choice between Texas/California/Florida and Spain, they will prefer US in a heart beat.

Have you ever been in Spain? There's a reason why we are the 3rd most visited country in the world while being no big at all. Also the culture similarities with latin players are way bigger here than would be in the US.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
Lego Legs
Junior
And1: 817

Post#152 » by Lego Legs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 am

ken6199 wrote:There are also lifestyle. Tell me if soccer is the #1 sport in US, why would top African/Asian players want to play in cities like Liverpool or Manchester, instead of LA, New York, Chicago, Boston?

Plus, all the Latino talent will want to come to US because of more embracing culture. Now most of them play in Spain, but if they have a choice between Texas/California/Florida and Spain, they will prefer US in a heart beat.

They want to play in cities like Liverpool and Manchester as those teams play in the biggest club football tournament - the Champions league. Where they will also play against all the other great football clubs like Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern etc.

As I said already, you can't just throw money at football and think you'll be good. It takes having a culture and understanding of the game to be good at it.

So many people here talk about athleticism. Ronaldinho did not have that, but was arguably one the greatest players ever. It's a much more intagible sport to be good at than many others, you need touch, vision, instinct.

You can take a great athlete and make them decent at basketball, you can not take a good athlete and make them good at football.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#153 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 am

ciueli wrote:It will never happen. We have better sports than soccer here, that's why it's not that popular:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/soccer-corrupt-hyper-regulated-low-scoring-boring/#slide-1

Let them have it, ours are better!! That article I'm assuming was written by the most petty 10 year old on the planet. :lol:
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,489

Post#154 » by Saint Lazarus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
No, they just care.

Don't be ignorant.

So it has to be the most popular sport.

Okay then, so do we not care about basketball? That's the argument you're making.

I never said they cared the most about soccer.

But the US care about soccer. Why else would they want to host the WC? They want to continue driving the sport here in the states.

MLS is one of the most irrelevant leagues in America. Soccer is at best the 4th most popular sport, with a strong argument for hockey over it. Soccer is at best a luck warm endeavour in America. Claiming that the public "cares" about the sport is at best a dubious attempt at playing with definitions.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,522

Post#155 » by Jazz9 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 am

"We'd be the best at anything if we wanted to.
Why? because we're the US!
Greatest country on Earth"

Ugh..
dosun
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#156 » by dosun » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am

Alatan wrote:
dosun wrote:
peja_the_legend wrote:If soccer was #1 sport in usa this board would even exist

i am from Europe and trust me,you dont want soccer to become as popular as it is here..It leaves no freaking breathing space for other sports.It dominates like NFL in Usa only 20 times worse..I'm kinda pissed it's getting so popular in Usa.

Bro was not an arrogant statement, because im not American lol, is just an opinion based on the fact that USA dominates in FIBA World Cup and in Olympics, i said Europe have good National teams but not good enough to beat USA (for now).
As european i love soccer more than any other sport. :)
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#157 » by ken6199 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 am

jptremblay wrote:

Have you ever been in Spain? There's a reason why we are the 3rd most visited country in the world while being no big at all. Also the culture similarities with latin players are way bigger here than would be in the US.

7 years in UK and 3 years in Netherland, die hard soccer fan. Been to most of the Europe though except Spain. Obviously countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy are all very Latino friendly culture wise, but what I meant was, if you look at the Latino immigrants in southern California/Texas/Florida, those players will be playing games with their family in the same city/state.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,173

Post#158 » by Hellcrooner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 am

ManyaWarrior wrote:From a historically point of view i think this are the top 10 nations in football (soccer)
1- Brazil
2- Germany
3- Italy
4- Argentina
5- Uruguay
6- France
7- Netherlands
8- England
9- Spain
10-Portugal
These 10 countries are all very different in size, population, ethnics, economy, etc so its pretty clear that being good at soccer isnt a matter of genetics, its just a matter of popularity. The US with its population and resources would be among the best no doubt about it

nope.

1 Brazil
2 Germany
3 Italy
4 Argentina
5 Uruguay
6 Spain
7 France
8 England
9 Netherlands
10 Portugal
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,481

Post#159 » by azcatz11 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:55 am

Hellcrooner wrote:
ManyaWarrior wrote:From a historically point of view i think this are the top 10 nations in football (soccer)
1- Brazil
2- Germany
3- Italy
4- Argentina
5- Uruguay
6- France
7- Netherlands
8- England
9- Spain
10-Portugal
These 10 countries are all very different in size, population, ethnics, economy, etc so its pretty clear that being good at soccer isnt a matter of genetics, its just a matter of popularity. The US with its population and resources would be among the best no doubt about it

nope.

1 Brazil
2 Germany
3 Italy
4 Argentina
5 Uruguay
6 Spain
7 France
8 England
9 Netherlands
10 Portugal

I think you missed his point
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,331

Post#160 » by Tracymcgoaty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 am

Would not break top 10. Too much competition in other leagues and countries. Thing is even if soccer would have been a #1 sport in the US why would talents want to stay there? All the talent and glory is out in Europe.

Champions League
Europa League
Fifa ClubWorldcup

Then you have the history with all the legendary Clubs that everyone wants to play for. You seldom see nowadays talent staying on their origin teams. They all want to go where there is most shine and biggest competitions. US might have produced some good to great players but they would all leave for the bigger names.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”

Return to Major League Soccer