OT: If soccer was the #1 sport in USA

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

sigueina
Freshman
And1: 71

Re: OT: If soccer was the #1 sport in USA 

Post#41 » by sigueina » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:05 pm

I would say for the next 30 years about close to get in to top 10.

Football(yes the sport you play with your feet but you call Soccer) is the number 1 sport in so many countries in the world and have been in some for over 80 years. This is not about population( i would know from Iceland and a soccer coach) but of course it can help. Soccer is not about being athletic it is more about teamwork, will to sacrifice for your team, skills, structure and game IQ.
Soccer is in the culture and is a religion in many countries and i am not sure it would be like that in USA.

I think USA could have a great team but when people say right away they would be number 1 that is both arrogant and tells me the lack of knowledge that would keep you from being number 1.

p.s USA Basketball is Number 1 in the World :)
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#42 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm

dosun wrote:
JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:I am sure USA, Canada or Russia will never produce players caliebers of today's Ronaldo & Messi. Not even players close to their level.

Lol okay buddy , this is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Shevchenko

Shevchenko is Ukrainian (Russia and Ukraine are not the same country) and say he was at Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi level is a huge reach, he was good but not that good.

I am aware it is not the same country lol. It is the same region of people and he was born in the Soviet Union. Regardless, the statement that a legendary player cannot come from a Northern country is absurd and I'm not going to debate it.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#43 » by Xherdan 23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Not buying it. Indians maybe, but what is wrong with Russians or Americans?

Considering all the youth programs and leagues in USA, its kinda strange seeing no phenoms appear at all in the States. But I guess its not all that bad, compared to my country Lithuania, we have zero organization in a matter, no elementary school leagues or anything like that, no one plays organized Soccer at all here it seems. We have no talent at all, tolerable keepers and CB here and there just because they are tall and strong, but no skill at sight.

Compared to Lithuania, America is so much ahead of the game at organizing sport leagues from elementary level, Its kinda amazing that we can play Basketball at a level we do.

Chrisitan Pulisic?

Pulisic trained in Germany from a young age.

Which is simple proof that the US does actually have a large potential pool of talented players, what’s lacking is the infrastructure and coaching for them to develop. Other countries are waaay ahead of America in that regard.

16 isn't that young, he was already starting at 17 for Dortmund and USMNT. He was also the youngest ever CL player, he was already a developed talent before he moved to Germany.

I agree with your second paragraph in general but I think it's more about tradition than anything else at this point - soccer doesn't seem to be a sport most great young American athletes consider, especially compared to basketball, baseball and football.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,254

Post#44 » by AdagioPace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:Genetics are big part of being good in Soccer... Northern Countries will never be good enough in Soccer.

Brazilians, Argentinians, Spaniards, Germans etc. are always be a top Soccer countries, as they have 'genetics' to play it very well.

Chinese, Indians, Scandinavians, Northern Americans, Russians, most of Brits & White French etc. will never play soccer very well with few exceptions.

What?

Germany is a pretty 'northern' country. Britain has always been pretty good in soccer.

I think it's more the fact that in poorer countries such as Spain, Argentina, Italy and Brazil soccer is the easiest sport to play. You don't need to buy a basketball net, have a baseball field, purchase equipment like football and hockey.

All you need is a ball.

That is why those countries produce excellent soccer and track athletes...because they are literally the only sports the population grow up competing in.
ignorance over 9000. Spain and italy poor countries? :roll:. Even if they are poorer than germany, you put them with argentina!!
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#45 » by BasketballFan7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Is there any good training available in the states, relative to the top countries? How do you know who is qualified?

I'd like to put my kid into soccer when he's older, but I know zip about soccer and don't want to be swindled.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#46 » by The Penguin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:
Chrisitan Pulisic?

Pulisic trained in Germany from a young age.

Which is simple proof that the US does actually have a large potential pool of talented players, what’s lacking is the infrastructure and coaching for them to develop. Other countries are waaay ahead of America in that regard.

16 isn't that young, he was already starting at 17 for Dortmund and USMNT. He was also the youngest ever CL player, he was already a developed talent before he moved to Germany.

I agree with your second paragraph in general but I think it's more about tradition than anything else at this point - soccer doesn't seem to be a sport most great young American athletes consider, especially compared to basketball, baseball and football.

It's walking on eggshells, but bottom line the guys who end up playing for the USMNT and the kids who play soccer a lot don't look like the guys who end up playing in the NFL or NBA. Different sports are emphasized in different communities.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by Xherdan 23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:
Pulisic joined Borussia Dortmund at age of 16... And rightfully did so. He would be ruined staying in US & waiting to get drafted to MLS clubs.

Age 16 is not when clubs start to develop players, he was already a top prospect developed in America and he would've been great wherever he went.
But I'm not sure discussing this with a person that thinks "USA players don't have the genetics" for football is a smart thing to do :crazy:

If he continue to play in highschool, college or whatever in USA, he wouldn't be player he is today. He did right thing joining Borussia at 16. North American system doesn't work in soccer at all.

Also, Chinese & Indians will never produce any elite player no matter how hard they try & how much population they have. They don't have the 'right genetics'.

This is both racist and stupid.
Koreans have a better genetic pool in your expert's opinion? Because Son is absoloutly elite.
Also, is there a reason USA has amazing athletes in basketball, baseball, football, running ect but not in soccer? How does that work for genetics?

As for "Northern countries" not having good genetics, can you explain the difference between Germans and Brits/white french?
Also how are Scandinavians Like Zlatan or Henrick Larsson fit your race theory?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,980

Post#48 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Also, people arguing what I've said...

Soccer is the most popular sport in Russia, but they are much better in hockey than in soccer. They actually produce a lot of Elite Level Hockey players but almost never soccer players. It says a lot. They are just don't meant to play soccer.
Oscar9992
Analyst

Post#49 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
Koreans have a better genetic pool in your expert's opinion? Because Son is absoloutly elite.
Also, is there a reason USA has amazing athletes in basketball, baseball, football, running ect but not in soccer? How does that work for genetics?

As for "Northern countries" not having good genetics, can you explain the difference between Germans and Brits/white french?

Zlatan is half Croat, hald Bosnian... Larsson is a half African.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,395

Post#50 » by CS707 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I’m just laughing at the notion that 5 foot nuthin Messi is genetically gifted.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#51 » by Danny1616 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:20 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:Genetics are big part of being good in Soccer... Northern Countries will never be good enough in Soccer.

Brazilians, Argentinians, Spaniards, Germans etc. are always be a top Soccer countries, as they have 'genetics' to play it very well.

Chinese, Indians, Scandinavians, Northern Americans, Russians, most of Brits & White French etc. will never play soccer very well with few exceptions.

What?

Germany is a pretty 'northern' country. Britain has always been pretty good in soccer.

I think it's more the fact that in poorer countries such as Spain, Argentina, Italy and Brazil soccer is the easiest sport to play. You don't need to buy a basketball net, have a baseball field, purchase equipment like football and hockey.

All you need is a ball.

That is why those countries produce excellent soccer and track athletes...because they are literally the only sports the population grow up competing in.
ignorance over 9000. Spain and italy poor countries? :roll:. Even if they are poorer than germany, you put them with argentina!!

I said relatively.

Spain and Italy are poorer compared to Germany.

I never stated those countries were poor, I said "poorer" when compared to northern countries.
Oscar9992
Analyst

Post#52 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:21 pm

gst8 wrote:I’m just laughing at the notion that 5 foot nuthin Messi is genetically gifted.

Messi is meant to play soccer as he is Argentinian of Italian & Spanish descent, & technically perfect but he had issues when he was a kid as he was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,781

Post#53 » by Collymore » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:

Northern countries like Germany, Netherlands and England will never be good at soccer.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by Xherdan 23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
Xherdan 23 wrote:

These two are still Baltic, what's the genetic difference?
Also, good job avoiding everything else I talked about (Son, elite US athletes in every other sport, difference between Western European countries...).

You seem to be extremely poorly educated about how genetics work. LOL at you thinking Messi or Iniesta are genetically superior to Steven Gerrard or Michael Owen.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#55 » by life_saver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm

JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:I am sure USA, Canada or Russia will never produce players caliebers of today's Ronaldo & Messi. Not even players close to their level.

Lol okay buddy , this is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Shevchenko

lol what? Shevchenko was a great player, one of the best strikers of his generation but please he isn't anywhere on the same level as Messi.... Messi is once in a lieftime player. Shevchenko wasn't even best striker of his generation ffs.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#56 » by life_saver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I think if soccer was No1 sport in US, then they would be on similar level as France...not the best team but just a tier below the best. If it was No1 sport, then there would have obviously been lot more focus on youth level and grass roots, which is the biggest problem US Soccer has currently.
RGM_SU
Senior
And1: 942

Post#57 » by RGM_SU » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:25 pm

gst8 wrote:I’m just laughing at the notion that 5 foot nuthin Messi is genetically gifted.

Or France's Antoine Griezmann, Spain's Andres Iniesta...

What is often overlooked in evaluating athleticism / ability required to play football is coordination. Neither of the players listed above is a gifted athlete in the sense that they can run and jump out of the building. But they possess great balance and coordination and on top of that great football IQ. So I don't buy the argument that the US would automatically be an elite nation if let's say the Russell Westbrooks picked up football instead of basketball.

Xherdan 23 wrote:These two are still Baltic, what's the genetic difference?

Neither of those two countries are Baltic...
Oscar9992
Analyst

Post#58 » by Oscar9992 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
Oscar9992 wrote:

These two are still Baltic, what's the genetic difference?
Also, good job avoiding everything else I talked about (Son, elite US athletes in every other sport, difference between Western European countries...).

You seem to be extremely poorly educated about how genetics work. LOL at you thinking Messi or Iniesta are genetically superior to Steven Gerrard or Michael Owen.

They are Balkan not Baltic, poorly educated here is you.

Gerrard & Owen never had technique any close to Messi & Iniesta & ethic background is the main reason here.
RGM_SU
Senior
And1: 942

Post#59 » by RGM_SU » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Gerrard & Owen never had technique any close to Messi & Iniesta & ethic background is the main reason here.

That's bull. It's the culture of the football education they received and not ethnic background.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,193

Post#60 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Also, people arguing what I've said...

Soccer is the most popular sport in Russia, but they are much better in hockey than in soccer. They actually produce a lot of Elite Level Hockey players but almost never soccer players. It says a lot. They are just don't meant to play soccer.

So what makes Russian genetically inferior?

To begin with, Hockey is very popular in Russia, and competition in Hockey is far inferior, compared to Soccer. Most countries play Soccer and do it very well, and just a bunch of countries play Hockey. Thats main reason why Russians appear stronger in that sport.

Main reason why Russian Soccer is not on elite level, is the fact that country is very politically and culturally secluded and self reliant. They almost never export talent, and their programs are just not as rich as top European programs. Almost all of their national team players are from domestic leagues all the time. Russia is just like USA, in a sense that their domestic culture is so rich, no one really ever want to migrate.

Return to Major League Soccer