MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,126

Re: 2023 WNBA Season Discussion 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
And such opposite types of archetypal super teams.

The Liberty do feel like a Heatles style team. Multiple MVP types but big questions of how a lot of ball-dominators are going to fit together. I've only watched Stewie, Jonquel, and Ionesco play as offensive fulcrums and (after watching that Mystics game) I think it's going to take some figuring out over the season. I didn't watch their second game against the Fever but seeing a boxscore where Vandersloot and Ionesco combine for 16 assists and only 4 turnovers is a positive sign. If those 2 can be monster playmakers that weaponize Jonquel and Stewie all game, I'm more into this roster.

The Aces super team build feels immaculate by comparison. A champ that adds a game-changing defensive piece? I guess Candace Parker's age is the potential downside here, but until we see her drop off... how are teams going to score on 2x 6'4" DPOY level players on the backline?

I guess the Mystics aren't a super team but I think they're still in it to win it this year.

This is true. The Aces of course are building on top of a champion (Parker's peak is a bit overrated imho, but I think she can fit in in Vegas) whereas the Liberty are trying to go from meh to chip and there are concerns.

I'm big on Stewie and Sloot. I consider Stewie to be the best player in the world right now, and Sloot to be the best floor general.

Jonquel's fit is a question. I think there's no question that she was a worthy MVP when she won the MVP, but last year with Alyssa Thomas back, Jonquel kinda felt like a 3rd wheel at time. It's possible that she and Stewie won't fit well enough together.

Ionesco, we'll see what happens. The moves this summer can be told as an attempt to build a super-team around Ionesco, but she's felt a bit like a Westbrook figure who really might need to re-think her game at this level.

I also want to shout out Marine Johannes who feels like she might have some Sloot in her.

I'm pretty lockstep on a lot of these points.
I wasn't a huge fan of Parker's game, but I've really enjoyed old veteran Parker who is all about defense and being a facilitator on offense. Pairing her with A'ja on defense feels unfair. I think she can be a great offensive connector in Las Vegas, between all that perimeter firepower and A'ja's interior game. But again, she's 37. The wheels fall off at some point.

I do think Stewie makes a lot of fit points moot. She's going to be giant and good at everything. She'll be productive regardless of how the rest of the offense fits around her. Your comp for Ionescu is a good one. She's a mega-hyped talent since college but in the W we've only seen that in the context of pretty miserable losing seasons. We don't know what her role is next to other high-end players and now she's playing with 2 MVPs and a point guard with a lot more veteran savvy than her. How this season goes could majorly change our perception of her for better or worse.

It's so hard to believe that CP is now 37, she still looks like she's 22.

Stewie is gonna bust that ass though
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:OK, we have a W board now.

It's one of the more exciting seasons in recent memory with all the dramatic player movement and those crazy rosters in New York and Las Vegas. Brittney Griner's big return. The WNBA selling out an exhibition game in their first-ever visit to Canada. Washington killing New York in an early season Commissioner's Cup Game (do people care about the Commissioner's Cup?)

BG adding a 3 point shot to her bag was a nice development. Glad to see her home, happy, and thriving. I'm still mad that the Russians made her cut her beautiful hair off :nonono:

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,119

Post#23 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 24, 2023 11:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:2nd, can we possibly get the team logos for the WNBA squads to put on our profile?

I'm sure that will be in the works soon. I'll check in with site administration once we get this board a little more off the ground. It's the first time adding a new board in a while, and definitely the first one in a while that requires new team badges.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#24 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 24, 2023 11:39 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote: the Year of the Superteam unfold in the WNBA with Aces & Liberty.

The Liberty do feel like a Heatles style team. Multiple MVP types but big questions of how a lot of ball-dominators are going to fit together. I've only watched Stewie, Jonquel, and Ionesco play as offensive fulcrums and (after watching that Mystics game) I think it's going to take some figuring out over the season. I didn't watch their second game against the Fever but seeing a boxscore where Vandersloot and Ionesco combine for 16 assists and only 4 turnovers is a positive sign. If those 2 can be monster playmakers that weaponize Jonquel and Stewie all game, I'm more into this roster.

The Aces super team build feels immaculate by comparison. A champ that adds a game-changing defensive piece? I guess Candace Parker's age is the potential downside here, but until we see her drop off... how are teams going to score on 2x 6'4" DPOY level players on the backline?

I guess the Mystics aren't a super team but I think they're still in it to win it this year.

The Vegas odds I looked at were pretty eye popping. Naturally, with the moves that happened, it was easy to assume that the Aces and Liberty were the teams to beat. But... wow.

Aces +120
Liberty +140
Mystics +1000
Mercury +3000
Sun +3000
and everyone else is +4000 or worse.

That's... dramatic.

I'm a little surprised to see such a massive gap between the Mystics and the 2 super teams. I still vaguely imagined them as contenders.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#25 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 12:11 am

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:2nd, can we possibly get the team logos for the WNBA squads to put on our profile?

I'm sure that will be in the works soon. I'll check in with site administration once we get this board a little more off the ground. It's the first time adding a new board in a while, and definitely the first one in a while that requires new team badges.

Thank you! I want to have the best basketball team in NY in my profile :nod:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 12:14 am

ijspeelman wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:My girlfriend and I got really into the WNBA last year and I decided to follow Seattle and she decided on Chicago.

Of course, Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart are no longer on their respective teams, but I am still excited to watch the future of Jewell Loyd and Kahleah Copper.

Plus, the Liberty and Aces are going to be really fun watches.

Way to hop on 2 bandwagons right before they both flew off a cliff! :lol:
I think Chicago could still be plucky this year though with that veteran backcourt. Over in Seattle they still have Jewell Lloyd but things could be rough. There's a lot of teams this year though that feel they're entering a new era. I also have zero idea how to rank the 9 teams that aren't the Mystics, Aces, or Liberty. Someone is going to emerge from the ashes and some new young players are going to take a leap.

When I was doing some statistical research on WNBA players, I did notice that the 3P% isn't there as compared to the NBA (34.6% compared to 35.4%) so all the players that can shoot the three at >38% are highly valuable.

I have interest in players like Marine Johannes, Sophie Cunningham, and Natisha Hiedeman who are young high volume, high efficiency three point shooters as they are a rare commodity.

Rhyne Howard, who is less efficient than this category, also intrigues me as a self-generating three point scorer.

Johannes is absolutely nasty. I love watching her play. The over the head pass she made last season was ungodly

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#27 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 12:16 am

cupcakesnake wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

The Vegas odds I looked at were pretty eye popping. Naturally, with the moves that happened, it was easy to assume that the Aces and Liberty were the teams to beat. But... wow.

Aces +120
Liberty +140
Mystics +1000
Mercury +3000
Sun +3000
and everyone else is +4000 or worse.

That's... dramatic.

I'm a little surprised to see such a massive gap between the Mystics and the 2 super teams. I still vaguely imagined them as contenders.

Mystics stomped the Libs pretty good in the season opener, but I kind of chalked that up to NY needing to develop chemistry. I still think that they're pretty good despite losing 2 straight to the Sun

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 888

Post#28 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 25, 2023 1:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Way to hop on 2 bandwagons right before they both flew off a cliff! :lol:
I think Chicago could still be plucky this year though with that veteran backcourt. Over in Seattle they still have Jewell Lloyd but things could be rough. There's a lot of teams this year though that feel they're entering a new era. I also have zero idea how to rank the 9 teams that aren't the Mystics, Aces, or Liberty. Someone is going to emerge from the ashes and some new young players are going to take a leap.

When I was doing some statistical research on WNBA players, I did notice that the 3P% isn't there as compared to the NBA (34.6% compared to 35.4%) so all the players that can shoot the three at >38% are highly valuable.

I have interest in players like Marine Johannes, Sophie Cunningham, and Natisha Hiedeman who are young high volume, high efficiency three point shooters as they are a rare commodity.

Rhyne Howard, who is less efficient than this category, also intrigues me as a self-generating three point scorer.

Johannes is absolutely nasty. I love watching her play. The over the head pass she made last season was ungodly

For those who haven't seen it...

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,731

Post#29 » by DOT » Thu May 25, 2023 12:26 pm

I think I'm gonna make a serious attempt at getting into WNBA this year

BBall-ref has stats, and the Score app I have is finally working so it actually alerts me when the games start, so this should be it

I know I'm a Knicks fan, but I gotta rep the home state of CT. Plus, I'm only like a 45 minute drive from Mohegan, so I could actually get down there to watch some games.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#30 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm

DOT wrote:I think I'm gonna make a serious attempt at getting into WNBA this year

BBall-ref has stats, and the Score app I have is finally working so it actually alerts me when the games start, so this should be it

I know I'm a Knicks fan, but I gotta rep the home state of CT. Plus, I'm only like a 45 minute drive from Mohegan, so I could actually get down there to watch some games.

I see. You've chosen your side.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 1:50 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

For those who haven't seen it...

And she's going to be playing behind Ionescu and Vandersloot. Libs are loaded :nod:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 25, 2023 2:03 pm

Ain't scared of no Aces, no Sun, no nothing. Stewie is bringing that heat

watch the pass from Ionescu at the :47 sec mark. :noway: bring all the smoke this summer, please

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#33 » by tmorgan » Fri May 26, 2023 9:54 am

Stewie is completely unfair these days. Vegas gonna have their hands full.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#34 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 26, 2023 3:31 pm

Diamond Miller got a first hand lesson in what greatness looks like, Taurasi had a nice 23 and 10 game for Phoenix last night.

Lots of good games over the next 48 hrs

Tonight: Washington vs Chicago, Dallas vs. Seattle. Both games are on ION (I have no clue what that network is).

Saturday: My NEW YORK LIBERTY vs. Dot's Connecticut Sun (CBS), Los Angles vs. Las Vegas (NBA TV)

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#35 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 26, 2023 5:07 pm

I think Miller has a long way to go before she's an effective NBA player. But you can already see how her size and speed gives opponents problems. Promising player but right now she's just barrelling at the rim with no plan.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#36 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 26, 2023 5:10 pm

Legit have no idea how you guard the Aces. They burn you whenever you put defensive attention anywhere. Sparks decided to turn off Kelsey Plum/A'Ja action so Jackie Young and Chelsea Gray immediately go to work in the space given to them.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#37 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 26, 2023 10:15 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I think Miller has a long way to go before she's an effective NBA player. But you can already see how her size and speed gives opponents problems. Promising player but right now she's just barrelling at the rim with no plan.

Yeah, she's pretty raw at this level. You just hope that she can develop quickly enough to take that next step.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 26, 2023 10:22 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Legit have no idea how you guard the Aces. They burn you whenever you put defensive attention anywhere. Sparks decided to turn off Kelsey Plum/A'Ja action so Jackie Young and Chelsea Gray immediately go to work in the space given to them.

I was sick watching the highlights of that game. There's literally no way to stop them defensively. I'm kinda nervous now. :cry:

Liberty vs Aces is a game that has to be on prime time national television. It just has to be. I hate to look ahead, but this is honestly a historical sports event in the making, just like LSU vs Iowa was. The talent on both sides is at such a high level that we need to get as many eyes on the game as possible to help the league to keep growing.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 27, 2023 1:34 am

WAS vs CHI is pretty good, the Sky were down big early and came storming back. Elena Delle Donne (who easily has one of the best names in pro sports) has been killing Chicago but i expect a tight 4th.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 27, 2023 6:31 pm

NY vs CT has been physical as hell, Stewie just got her eye blackened on a bang bang play.

Return to WNBA