MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,370

Re: 2023 WNBA Playoff Thread 

Post#81 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:51 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Ionescu is that for me. Usually if she's not filling the stat sheet, she's having a monster game from the perimeter, which opens the floor for Sloot to dissect defenses and/or leaves Laney wide open in the corner.

Jones has been coming up big for the Liberty since the All-Star break. Her rebounding has been a godsend.

Right. You're not wrong at all.

Sabrina was drawing a crap ton of gravity defensively and i expect that to continue. She's making the right reads with what the defense gives her. I just have to give Lainey her due though, she has been a beast on both ends.

The Jonquel Jones we are seeing now is healthy and has her game legs under her. She is the one that puts this team over the edge with her rebounding and physicality on the block. Hard to beat a team that has basically 2 MVP level players and a flat out superstar in Ionescu playing at the top of their games

What I think Jonquel does is gives them a stylistic versatility that makes them so resilient. There's been at least a few games in the second half of the season where things have got junky for the Liberty perimeter players, but they don't fall out of the game because Jonquel's paint presence (offensive rebounds, attacking a matchup) keeps them going. It means defenses can't flood the perimeter and expect to fully wipe the Liberty out. Too much defensive attention on the perimeter and Jonquel might annihilate you.

Yeah it's pretty much pick your poison. Wanna run Sabrina or Sloot off the arc, well then your bigs are just gonna get mauled by Jones. Not a problem I'd like to have :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#82 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:55 pm

And we're now in the semis. I'm pretty excited, these are some awesome match ups.

Aces vs Wings is going to be worth it for the star power alone. I'll be rooting for Arike and Satou to make Las Vegas sweat

Liberty vs Sun. Can't say I'm not nervous. The respect i have for the Sun is through the roof. AT is just an amazing player to watch. Like I've said before, AT is what Ben Simmons wishes he was.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#83 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:58 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Germans wreaking havoc for Dallas teams, nothing beats good ol' tradition...

Satou is no joke :lol:

SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#84 » by SHAQ32 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:31 pm

Which team has the best cooks? Do we know that? Because that's who I would be rooting for.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,249

Post#85 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:And we're now in the semis. I'm pretty excited, these are some awesome match ups.

Aces vs Wings is going to be worth it for the star power alone. I'll be rooting for Arike and Satou to make Las Vegas sweat

Liberty vs Sun. Can't say I'm not nervous. The respect i have for the Sun is through the roof. AT is just an amazing player to watch. Like I've said before, AT is what Ben Simmons wishes he was.

There hasn't been enough talk about the Wings this season, due to all the deserved hype around the Liberty and Aces.

Dallas is nowhere near as solid or talented as either team, but man are they a lot of fun. They start multiple center sized players (Satou at 6'4" and Teira at 6'7") next to the 6'2" Natasha Howard, bring another 6'7" player (Kalani Brown) off the bench, and then just for fun give us 6'4" Awak Kwier. They absolutely overwhelm you with size and then have Arike and Satou bombing you to death from outside. They're so so fun to watch.

They can't guard the 3-point line and they foul the crap out of everybody, which are the biggest reasons they aren't an elite team. But man is it fun to watch them make opponents look helpless on the boards and stopping them inside.

Every opponent always looks completely overwhelmed, but you can almost let the Wings beat themselves? Dallas always looks like they're winning, unless you pay attention to all the ways they bleed points and give their opponents extra opportunities.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#86 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm

SHAQ32 wrote:Which team has the best cooks? Do we know that? Because that's who I would be rooting for.

If we're talking about players generating shots off the dribble...
The best cooks left in the WNBA playoffs are: Sabrina Ionescu and Arike Ogunbowala. But the Aces have a triple cook backcourt. The Sun do not cook.

SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#87 » by SHAQ32 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:10 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:Which team has the best cooks? Do we know that? Because that's who I would be rooting for.

If we're talking about players generating shots off the dribble...
The best cooks left in the WNBA playoffs are: Sabrina Ionescu and Arike Ogunbowala. But the Aces have a triple cook backcourt. The Sun do not cook.

They should showcase their cooking skills more IMO

My bad for giving you the benefit of the doubt. You didn't deserve it. Zero tolerance for misogyny on the WNBA board.
- ccs
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#88 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:55 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:And we're now in the semis. I'm pretty excited, these are some awesome match ups.

There hasn't been enough talk about the Wings this season, due to all the deserved hype around the Liberty and Aces.

Dallas is nowhere near as solid or talented as either team, but man are they a lot of fun. They start multiple center sized players (Satou at 6'4" and Teira at 6'7") next to the 6'2" Natasha Howard, bring another 6'7" player (Kalani Brown) off the bench, and then just for fun give us 6'4" Awak Kwier. They absolutely overwhelm you with size and then have Arike and Satou bombing you to death from outside. They're so so fun to watch.

They can't guard the 3-point line and they foul the crap out of everybody, which are the biggest reasons they aren't an elite team. But man is it fun to watch them make opponents look helpless on the boards and stopping them inside.

Every opponent always looks completely overwhelmed, but you can almost let the Wings beat themselves? Dallas always looks like they're winning, unless you pay attention to all the ways they bleed points and give their opponents extra opportunities.

I agree, Dallas is flawed but mad fun to watch. I also root for them to do well because Tasha Howard is a former Lib :)

I think if they can clean up the defensive woes in the offseason, they could be pretty formidable next season

Read on Twitter
?t=uP-GEcjpTZO7hDwnuurAxQ&s=19

Satou is only going to get better

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,127

Post#89 » by Duffman100 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:22 pm

Between NBA, MLB and NFL (plus having a toddler) I just haven't had a chance to engage.

What are the storylines here? Who are the major players? Obviously I've heard Sabrina Ionescu but who else?
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#90 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:01 am

Duffman100 wrote:Between NBA, MLB and NFL (plus having a toddler) I just haven't had a chance to engage.

What are the storylines here? Who are the major players? Obviously I've heard Sabrina Ionescu but who else?

So plenty to catch up on in an excited season:
- Most people view this season as a clash of 2 super teams: The reigning champ Las Vegas Aces and the New York Liberty.

- The Liberty were super mediocre last year but managed to sign Breanna Stewart (probably the best player in the W), Jonquel Jones (recent MVP winner), and Courtney Vandersloot (veteran smart point guard and former champ). They had a meh start figuring out their identity but in the second half of the season they've looked like the best team in the league. They beat a better-than-theri-record Washington Mystics squad in the first round.

- The Aces added Candace Parker to their championship winning core and completely took the league by storm. They thrashed the Liberty on opening night and dominated the 1st half of the season in absurd fashion. But Candace Parker got hurt and still hasn't returned (probably isn't going to), so the Aces aren't really a super team. They looked more mortal in the second half, and New York beat them several times. They're still a ridiculous 2-way team built around last year's MVP (and 2-time DPOY) A'ja Wilson, and a 3-guard monstrosity of Chelsea Gray (best passer in the league), Kelsey Plum, and Jackie Young.

- The Conneticut Sun are the plucky underdogs built around their own MVP candidate Alyssa Thomas. Picture Draymond Green if he could post up and play point guard. They don't really have a second star but Thomas' wife Dewanna Bonner is pretty close. They were solid all year.

- Dallas is the other final semi-finalist. They're a funky team built around insane size (4 players in their rotation 6'4" or taller), the MIP Satou Sabally (a versatile big who jacks 3s) and Arike Ogunbuwale, probably the boldest scorer in the W.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#91 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Between NBA, MLB and NFL (plus having a toddler) I just haven't had a chance to engage.

Best time to tune in. 2 games on today starting at 1pm EST with Liberty vs Sun Game 1.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:41 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:

So plenty to catch up on in an excited season:
- Most people view this season as a clash of 2 super teams: The reigning champ Las Vegas Aces and the New York Liberty.

- The Liberty were super mediocre last year but managed to sign Breanna Stewart (probably the best player in the W), Jonquel Jones (recent MVP winner), and Courtney Vandersloot (veteran smart point guard and former champ). They had a meh start figuring out their identity but in the second half of the season they've looked like the best team in the league. They beat a better-than-theri-record Washington Mystics squad in the first round.

- The Aces added Candace Parker to their championship winning core and completely took the league by storm. They thrashed the Liberty on opening night and dominated the 1st half of the season in absurd fashion. But Candace Parker got hurt and still hasn't returned (probably isn't going to), so the Aces aren't really a super team. They looked more mortal in the second half, and New York beat them several times. They're still a ridiculous 2-way team built around last year's MVP (and 2-time DPOY) A'ja Wilson, and a 3-guard monstrosity of Chelsea Gray (best passer in the league), Kelsey Plum, and Jackie Young.

- The Conneticut Sun are the plucky underdogs built around their own MVP candidate Alyssa Thomas. Picture Draymond Green if he could post up and play point guard. They don't really have a second star but Thomas' wife Dewanna Bonner is pretty close. They were solid all year.

- Dallas is the other final semi-finalist. They're a funky team built around insane size (4 players in their rotation 6'4" or taller), the MIP Satou Sabally (a versatile big who jacks 3s) and Arike Ogunbuwale, probably the boldest scorer in the W.

Spot on summary. Two things:

-The Aces are still a super team to me regardless. Those 3 guards + A'ja are still a serious problem. But it's clear that losing Parker was a brutal hit.

-Draymond wishes he was good as Alyssa :lol:

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,400

Post#93 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Not sure about that foul on Bonner...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#94 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:10 pm

NY O tends to get bogged down too often. Opponent D has been crisp last series and now to start this one.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#95 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:12 pm

Allen revenge game incoming...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#96 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:14 pm

Nice high low pass...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#97 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:18 pm

G R E Y wrote:Nice high low pass...

The bullet pass inside from Stewie to Jones? Sheesh

This is a good game. I'm nervous because Sabrina is getting her ass handed to her defensively right now

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#98 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:20 pm

Jonquel is carrying us right now. Come on!!!

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#99 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:20 pm

Wow. Another charge no call...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:21 pm

G R E Y wrote:Allen revenge game incoming...

I love Becca Allen. But she needs to chill with all those threes :cry:

Return to WNBA