NCAAW Thread

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,085

NCAAW Thread 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:16 pm

This thread is a foray into expanding knowledge and news about the women's game with a focus on all things college basketball related. We'll see how these types of threads develop, but for now, this one will be used for information specifically about great games, prospects, highlights, and other points of interest as they arise.

We'll start with a 2023-2024 season preview - 2023-24 women's basketball offseason recap: News, transfers

And follow up with rankings - Defending champ LSU, UConn are 1-2 in women's preseason poll

AP preseason women's Top 25 poll

First-place votes in parentheses.
1. LSU (35)
2. UConn (1)
3. Iowa
4. UCLA
5. Utah
6. South Carolina
7. Ohio State
8. Virginia Tech
9. Indiana
10. Notre Dame
11. Tennessee
12. Ole Miss
13. Texas
14. Maryland
15. Stanford
16. North Carolina
17. Louisville
18. Florida State
19. Baylor
20. Colorado
21. Southern Cal
22. Creighton
23. Illinois
24. Washington State
25. Mississippi State

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38679233/defending-champ-lsu-uconn-1-2-women-preseason-poll
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: NCAAW THREAD 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:23 pm

Speaking of LSU, the powerhouse team's powerhouse player is Shaq's first signing since becoming Reebok's President of Basketball.

LSU All-American Angel Reese signs endorsement deal with Reebok

LSU All-American Angel Reese has a new endorsement deal with a major shoe and athletic apparel company.

Reebok announced Tuesday that it has signed the Tigers' star forward as a partner as she prepares to begin her first season since leading LSU to a national title last spring.

In an interview published on the company's website, Reese said former LSU and NBA player Shaquille O'Neal, who recently became Reebok's president of basketball, was influential in bringing the deal together.

"There is no one making a bigger impact on the game right now than Angel Reese," O'Neal said.

As part of the deal, Reese is highlighting her favorite Reebok styles of shoes and athletic apparel.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38678942/lsu-all-american-angel-reese-signs-endorsement-deal-reebok

Huge for college athletes to be able to sign endorsements and telling that Shaq chose Angel Reese first.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 502

Re: NCAAW Thread 

Post#3 » by zike_42 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:40 am

This could be the most watched season of NCAAW in history. After the steps made last season, to the WNBA's rise in popularity, to the eyes on the big names (Clark, Paige, Brink, Reese etc), this could be an historic season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,490

Re: NCAAW THREAD 

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:48 am

G R E Y wrote:Speaking of LSU, the powerhouse team's powerhouse player is Shaq's first signing since becoming Reebok's President of Basketball.

LSU All-American Angel Reese signs endorsement deal with Reebok

LSU All-American Angel Reese has a new endorsement deal with a major shoe and athletic apparel company.

Reebok announced Tuesday that it has signed the Tigers' star forward as a partner as she prepares to begin her first season since leading LSU to a national title last spring.

In an interview published on the company's website, Reese said former LSU and NBA player Shaquille O'Neal, who recently became Reebok's president of basketball, was influential in bringing the deal together.

"There is no one making a bigger impact on the game right now than Angel Reese," O'Neal said.

As part of the deal, Reese is highlighting her favorite Reebok styles of shoes and athletic apparel.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38678942/lsu-all-american-angel-reese-signs-endorsement-deal-reebok

Huge for college athletes to be able to sign endorsements and telling that Shaq chose Angel Reese first.

You love to see it!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:57 am

But yeah, the fact that Van Lith is on LSU now too still trips me out. The transfer portal is so much fun.

Clark talked a lotta sh*t last season to her in the tourney. Too bad we can't get a regular season match up between Iowa and LSU

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:59 am

I'll be rooting for UCONN. Paige Buckets is must watch television

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,094

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:02 am

I’m not 100% sure how Caitlin Steph Clark’s game is gonna translate to the more physical WNBA, but she is friggin wild to watch play. I do watch some WNBA, but have not watched NCAAW beyond highlights (to be fair to me, I don’t watch much NCAA men either in the one-and-done era).

Her highlights are nuts.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:41 am

tmorgan wrote:I’m not 100% sure how Caitlin Steph Clark’s game is gonna translate to the more physical WNBA, but she is friggin wild to watch play. I do watch some WNBA, but have not watched NCAAW beyond highlights (to be fair to me, I don’t watch much NCAA men either in the one-and-done era).

Her highlights are nuts.

NCAA women's ball is much better than NCAAM right now to me because the good players actually stay all 4 years.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:01 pm

The prospect that has been on my radar the last two years is a guard named Milaysia Fulwhiley, who will be under Dawn Staley's watch at SC starting this semester.

When I first saw footage of her high school play, I immediately got the same vibe that I got when I first saw Paige play...she has "it". That star factor. Just a sick, sick hooper.

People are seriously sleeping right now on just how much serious fire power is in the talent pipeline of women's basketball. Juju Watkins is going to turn heads this season at USC too

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,493

Post#10 » by ellobo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:37 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The prospect that has been on my radar the last two years is a guard named Milaysia Fulwhiley, who will be under Dawn Staley's watch at SC starting this semester.

When I first saw footage of her high school play, I immediately got the same vibe that I got when I first saw Paige play...she has "it". That star factor. Just a sick, sick hooper.

People are seriously sleeping right now on just how much serious fire power is in the talent pipeline of women's basketball. Juju Watkins is going to turn heads this season at USC too

Watching those highlights, her style reminds me of Anfernee Simons. I just get a vibe off the way she handles and shoots that immediately made me think of him.

Women's college basketball is going to be good the next few years. As you say, the talent pipeline seems to be flowing strong, and with NIL and endorsements WNBA salaries aren't a big attraction to go pro early, especially with limited roster spots. So I expect the talent pool in college to stay deep and wide.

It should eventually benefit the WNBA too, like back in the day when the NCAA functioned as both a developmental league for the NBA and a platform for ready-made new stars.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:27 am

ellobo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The prospect that has been on my radar the last two years is a guard named Milaysia Fulwhiley, who will be under Dawn Staley's watch at SC starting this semester.

Watching those highlights, her style reminds me of Anfernee Simons. I just get a vibe off the way she handles and shoots that immediately made me think of him.

Women's college basketball is going to be good the next few years. As you say, the talent pipeline seems to be flowing strong, and with NIL and endorsements WNBA salaries aren't a big attraction to go pro early, especially with limited roster spots. So I expect the talent pool in college to stay deep and wide.

It should eventually benefit the WNBA too, like back in the day when the NCAA functioned as both a developmental league for the NBA and a platform for ready-made new stars.

I think it's good for the players to get their degrees as well. The average WNBA career lasts around 3.5 years compared to 4.5 years for the NBA, with less earning potential. Take the free ride, NIL money, and get your education while developing your game, and build a good foundation for yourself.

Ugh i sound like my mother.

Anfernee Simons is a good comparison. I'm excited to see how she improves under Coach Staley. I couldn't think of a more perfect teacher.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:51 pm

Another name in the talent pipeline is Addison Bjorn. 6'3 Guard 5 star HS sophomore. Won gold with Team USA. Sick, sick talent

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:19 pm

Notre Dame vs South Carolina right now on ESPN!

Milaysia Fulwiley checks in and immediately chases down a rebound, pushes up court, and hits the big for a sweet dime in traffic.

Coach Staley calls her a generational player. I agree. Keep watching.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:21 pm

ellobo wrote:

Here you go. This was about an hour ago:

South Carolina will be a must watch team.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:54 pm

Crazy good! I can't believe she made all those moves on one drive, and none superfluous, just used what she needed to blow by one defender after another:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:02 pm

G R E Y wrote:Crazy good! I can't believe she made all those moves on one drive, and none superfluous, just used what she needed to blow by one defender after another:

Read on Twitter

17pts, 6asts, 6stls on 8-14 FG

Off the bench at that.

I was hyping her up but to hear Holly Rowe relay the fact that Dawn Staley believes that she is a generational player made me so happy. Keep cooking Milaysia, this is nothing.

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 7, 2023 2:26 pm

LSU what'd you do?!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Either Colorado exposed some weaknesses or have awakened a giant.

#onegamehottakes
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 7, 2023 2:30 pm

Day 1 roundup:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:57 pm

G R E Y wrote:LSU what'd you do?!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Either Colorado exposed some weaknesses or have awakened a giant.

#onegamehottakes

LSU walked in there yesterday like the National Championship has been gift wrapped for them just because they have damn near a WNBA team. It isn't.

Humility is good for this group.

Return to WNBA