WNBA Draft 2024

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,730

WNBA Draft 2024 

Post#1 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:14 pm

The draft lottery is a month away (December 10th) but it's never too early to start talking about the draft.

Unlike the NBA, the lottery odds in the W are based off the cumulative record of the past 2 season.
Based on that the lottery odds are:

1. Indiana Fever (44% chance at #1)
2. Phoenix Mercury (27%)
3. Los Angeles Sparks (17%)
4. Seattle Storm (10%)

and the rest is set based on 2023 record:
5. Dallas from Chicago (18-22)
6. Washington (19-21)
7. Minnesota (19-21)
8. Atlanta (19-21)
9. Dallas (22-18)
10. Connecticut (27-13)
11. New York (32-8)
12. Los Angeles from Las Vegas (34-6)

Caitlin Clark is the presumptive #1 pick but Paige Bueckers is returning from injury, and there's some good bigs (Angel Rees, Cameron Brink, Kamilla Cardoso, and Aaliyah Edwards) that could get into the conversation with a big year.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,485

Re: WNBA Draft 2024 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:27 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:The draft lottery is a month away (December 10th) but it's never too early to start talking about the draft.

Unlike the NBA, the lottery odds in the W are based off the cumulative record of the past 2 season.
Based on that the lottery odds are:

1. Indiana Fever (44% chance at #1)
2. Phoenix Mercury (27%)
3. Los Angeles Sparks (17%)
4. Seattle Storm (10%)

and the rest is set based on 2023 record:
5. Dallas from Chicago (18-22)
6. Washington (19-21)
7. Minnesota (19-21)
8. Atlanta (19-21)
9. Dallas (22-18)
10. Connecticut (27-13)
11. New York (32-8)
12. Los Angeles from Las Vegas (34-6)

Caitlin Clark is the presumptive #1 pick but Paige Bueckers is returning from injury, and there's some good bigs (Angel Rees, Cameron Brink, Kamilla Cardoso, and Aaliyah Edwards) that could get into the conversation with a big year.

God help us all if Indiana manages to pair up Clark and Boston. How are you stopping that 2-5 Pick and Roll????
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:34 pm

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38737420/wnba-mock-draft-2024-clark-reese-brink-bueckers

ESPN released their first mock the other day...outside the top 6, I don't know how this will play out. The Liberty need to draft a guard that can play 3 + D.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#4 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:24 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38737420/wnba-mock-draft-2024-clark-reese-brink-bueckers

ESPN released their first mock the other day...outside the top 6, I don't know how this will play out. The Liberty need to draft a guard that can play 3 + D.

Until we get some hit that expansion, I don't necessarily expect the player drafted 11th to make the roster or at least not the rotation.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,239

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:35 am

MrDollarBills wrote:https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38737420/wnba-mock-draft-2024-clark-reese-brink-bueckers

Nyadiew Puoch was someone I mentioned previously in the international thread. Great to see her getting first round buzz in the mocks.

Only issue there is I think she's a little raw to be immediate impact. She might be better suited to spend a year learning, so teams looking for immediate help might be better served elsewhere.
I rate her potential though, has all the raw tools, and a work ethic to boot.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,085

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#7 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:46 pm

Heading to an Adelaide Lightning game this week, will get an in person look at Issy Borlase, who looks likely to be drafted (second round?)

First time I've seen her in person.for a while.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#8 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:32 pm

So with Indiana drafting first again (Sparks 2nd, Mercury fell to 3rd, and Seattle 4th.)...

...The idea of a Clark/Boston inside out attack is pretty appealing on offense.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#9 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 am

So, watched Izzy Borlase play a game vs Bendigo on TV, followed by a live one against Melbourne (with courtside seats, so nice and close...!)

Height : 5-11
Pos : Guard/wing

Who is she : one of the 4 young Aussie women commonly seen as the next generation of the Opals, along with Jade Melbourne, Nyadiew Puoch and Georgia Amoore. Melbourne plays for Seattle, the other three should be drafted in this upcoming WNBA draft.

Borlase comes from an elite sporting family, and has just been named to the Opals squad. She plays for the Adelaide Lightning, and is in her second year, after winning both 6th man and breakout player last season.

Stats : 15.9 PPG 5.9 RPG 2.8 APG. 1.9 SPG 0.7 BPG

Strengths : well-rounded game. Physically, she is stronger in person, and has better muscle definition than I'd expected. Very strong shoulders, doesn't dish out punishment, but uses her strength to initiate contact around the basket, and then step off it, using touch to finish efficiently. Killed people one on one in transition with body control and touch.
Good shooter, with range to 3, and gets shot off relatively quickly.
Showed better passing and handle than I expected, used to her being more of a play finisher, but she also initiated at times, and handled ball pressure well.
Defensively she was diligent, and she's second in the league in stocks (steals + blocks) so can certainly read the play and get steals.
Rebounded above her height.
Very positive, next play attitude.

Weaknesses :
The three point shot hasn't quite been there this year, and she went a combined 3-15 in these two games.
Looking live, she spaces well, and takes the shot with confidence. Her shot isn't pretty, but it's consistent and not broken, and has worked well through juniors. Reputation as a shooter.
Bigger weakness to me is that she was spacing for the shot only...didn't see her coming hard off screens, pick and pop, etc. did shoot it off the dribble as ball handler in pick and roll, but looked less convincing in that, so I'd assume a spot up shooter only from 3 until proven otherwise.
Positionally, she'd look great as a SF, but she's not tall.
Other weakness is more just me trying to project her into a league with better athletes...is her defense upto running around after long, athletic guards and wings? Is her finishing (which looked awesome) up to finishing over long defenders?

She the opposite to Nyadiew Puoch in some ways. Ideally she'd be a touch longer and faster, but her game is well rounded and under control. Is that enough at the next level?

Summary : She's just a kid, and the maturity of her game is super impressive. Does that indicate a lower ceiling, as she's already maximising her talent? I'd lean towards no...it indicates someone who has a high bbq, and that will help her development. Improved shooting, and particularly improving the versatility of her jumpshot to include more off the bounce, and movement shooting off screens would be the next logical steps to me.

Oh, and she was super nice to my daughter after the game, and just seems like a ripper, so we'll be on her bandwagon wherever she ends up.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,625

Post#10 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:57 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:So with Indiana drafting first again (Sparks 2nd, Mercury fell to 3rd, and Seattle 4th.)...

...The idea of a Clark/Boston inside out attack is pretty appealing on offense.

That would be one dynamic duo for however long they could keep them together.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#11 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:19 am

Borlase made the Australian team (Olympic Quals), good effort for a 19 year old.
Was previously just in the squad.

Vet laden team with a coach who likes vets, so her best chance for minutes is blow outs and injuries I think.
And given some of the names, there is a decent chance injuries will happen...

(Lauren Jackson...Tess Madgen...Bec Allen...)

I'm not a massive fan of the squad announced...I think they have a bunch of old vets, and some kids, and not enough players in their prime.
3 games in 4 days for the pool will test them.

Maybe Borlase will get a chance..
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:05 pm

The Sparks have 3 picks in round 1 and I'm seeing Bueckers, Cardoso and Reese being mocked to Los Angeles.

Lord have mercy.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,450

Post#13 » by DOT » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The Sparks have 3 picks in round 1 and I'm seeing Bueckers, Cardoso and Reese being mocked to Los Angeles.

Lord have mercy.

Paige is being overshadowed due to Caitlin Clark, but she's still ridiculous in her own right

I see Tankathon has Alissa Pili mocked to CT, which makes sense I suppose, it looks like she has a similar profile to AT, but with better shooting out the gate, but it's the backcourt I'm worried about

Tiff Hayes retired and we sent out Hiedeman for Tiffany Mitchell who's not a bad player, but Hayes and Hiedeman were by volume our #2 and #3 3pt shooters, and I already felt like we lacked shooting last year to fully take advantage of AT. Plus, Rebecca Allen is gone as well, who took the 4th most 3s. Yeah, we kept Tyasha Harris and DiJonai Carrington who were by percentage the best shooters on the team, but neither of them have been starters for a full season and Mitchell's only had 1 season above 29% from 3

We got Moraih Jefferson back for Allen, and I'm stoked for that cause I was at UConn when she was, but I still think we're gonna have guard issues. From my limited knowledge, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Te-Hina Paopao in the 1st with that shooting, especially after watching her obliterate my Huskies lol.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:The Sparks have 3 picks in round 1 and I'm seeing Bueckers, Cardoso and Reese being mocked to Los Angeles.

Lord have mercy.

Paige is being overshadowed due to Caitlin Clark, but she's still ridiculous in her own right

I see Tankathon has Alissa Pili mocked to CT, which makes sense I suppose, it looks like she has a similar profile to AT, but with better shooting out the gate, but it's the backcourt I'm worried about

Tiff Hayes retired and we sent out Hiedeman for Tiffany Mitchell who's not a bad player, but Hayes and Hiedeman were by volume our #2 and #3 3pt shooters, and I already felt like we lacked shooting last year to fully take advantage of AT. Plus, Rebecca Allen is gone as well, who took the 4th most 3s. Yeah, we kept Tyasha Harris and DiJonai Carrington who were by percentage the best shooters on the team, but neither of them have been starters for a full season and Mitchell's only had 1 season above 29% from 3

We got Moraih Jefferson back for Allen, and I'm stoked for that cause I was at UConn when she was, but I still think we're gonna have guard issues. From my limited knowledge, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Te-Hina Paopao in the 1st with that shooting, especially after watching her obliterate my Huskies lol.

Maaaaan.....Te-Hina Paopao is an absolutely filthy player. I wish the Liberty could get her

And yeah, Paige is being crazy overshadowed right now. 20/4/4 on sickening efficiency. If the Sparks land her, Cardoso and Angel, that squad will be a serious problem from week 1

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DOT » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Maaaaan.....Te-Hina Paopao is an absolutely filthy player. I wish the Liberty could get her

And yeah, Paige is being crazy overshadowed right now. 20/4/4 on sickening efficiency. If the Sparks land her, Cardoso and Angel, that squad will be a serious problem from week 1

I don't watch a ton of womens' college ball (I really only watch UConn, and the app that's supposed to alert me when there's a game on doesn't for some reason), but it feels like there's a lot of talent coming into the league now

Hell, we're even at the point where the old generation is hating on the new one :lol: That Gilbert Arenas podcast where Sheryl Swoops is complaining about Caitlin Clark is proof the WNBA has made it lol

I'm gonna actually pay attention to the WNBA this year, or at least try to outside of the Sun and Liberty. I think Caitlin Clark has the potential to propel the WNBA to the mainstream, I'd absolutely tune in to some Fever games next year just to watch her and Aliya Boston work, that looks like the beginning of a ridiculous tandem, and if LA gets Paige and Angel, that could be a legit rivalry we talk about for years to come.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:03 am

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Maaaaan.....Te-Hina Paopao is an absolutely filthy player. I wish the Liberty could get her

I don't watch a ton of womens' college ball (I really only watch UConn, and the app that's supposed to alert me when there's a game on doesn't for some reason), but it feels like there's a lot of talent coming into the league now

Hell, we're even at the point where the old generation is hating on the new one :lol: That Gilbert Arenas podcast where Sheryl Swoops is complaining about Caitlin Clark is proof the WNBA has made it lol

I'm gonna actually pay attention to the WNBA this year, or at least try to outside of the Sun and Liberty. I think Caitlin Clark has the potential to propel the WNBA to the mainstream, I'd absolutely tune in to some Fever games next year just to watch her and Aliya Boston work, that looks like the beginning of a ridiculous tandem, and if LA gets Paige and Angel, that could be a legit rivalry we talk about for years to come.

This is going to be the start of a major era in the W. The Aces, Liberty, and Storm are legit super teams, and this year's draft is generational. Clark and Boston are going to be a handful even at their young ages.

This doesn't include the absolute monsters that are developing right now in college. Juju Watkins is going to be a superstar.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by DOT » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:25 am

MrDollarBills wrote:And yeah, Paige is being crazy overshadowed right now. 20/4/4 on sickening efficiency. If the Sparks land her, Cardoso and Angel, that squad will be a serious problem from week 1

Looks like you don't have to worry about that just yet

Read on Twitter
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:27 am

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:And yeah, Paige is being crazy overshadowed right now. 20/4/4 on sickening efficiency. If the Sparks land her, Cardoso and Angel, that squad will be a serious problem from week 1

Looks like you don't have to worry about that just yet

Read on Twitter

Disappointing as a fan of the W, but I'm happy for Paige. Make that sweet NIL money and she probably slots in the top 3 of next year's draft.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#19 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:07 pm

So Brink the likely #2 now?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:16 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:So Brink the likely #2 now?

Clark, Brink and Cardoso are my top 3. The Sparks are probably disappointed that Paige isn't coming, but coming away with Brink and Rickea Jackson is a sweet haul.

Return to WNBA