Confirmed: Sabrina vs Steph All Star Saturday Night Shootout!!!

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,487

Confirmed: Sabrina vs Steph All Star Saturday Night Shootout!!! 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Awwww yeah :nod: let's go Sab!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Re: Confirmed: Sabrina vs Steph All Star Saturday Night Shootout!!! 

Post#2 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Feb 1, 2024 1:13 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This has become big news in the girls team I coach, many of whom don't really care about the WNBA.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 1, 2024 1:21 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This has become big news in the girls team I coach, many of whom don't really care about the WNBA.

That's what it's all about. :)

Sabrina wants the challenge. She can shoot from NBA range as is, so may the best person win and i hope this brings more fans into the W

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,493

Post#4 » by ellobo » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:05 pm

There's a long and predictably toxic thread about this on the general board, with arguments about whether it is a "valid" contest due to the longer NBA distance (I'm not going to say the shorter WNBA distance because the WNBA line is the same distance as the lines in all FIBA and NCAA competition for men and women), and, unironically, ball size.

I'm looking forward to it, and rooting for both players to shoot their best and put on an exciting display of their skills.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:12 pm

ellobo wrote:There's a long and predictably toxic thread about this on the general board, with arguments about whether it is a "valid" contest due to the longer NBA distance (I'm not going to say the shorter WNBA distance because the WNBA line is the same distance as the lines in all FIBA and NCAA competition for men and women), and, unironically, respective ball sizes.

I'm looking forward to it, and rooting for both players to shoot their best and put on an exciting display of their skills.

Sabrina said she would shoot from NBA distance. If those Neanderthals on the GB knew anything about hoops, which they don't, they'd know that Sabrina routinely launches and makes threes from that distance all the time in games.

Whatever. I'm glad I'm restricted from that cesspool, i would have cussed them all out and gotten banned

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,730

Post#6 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:06 pm

Surprised they never did something like this with Taurausi when she was in her prime.

Sabrina feels like the most heavily marketed WNBA player since Taurasi or Candace Parker no? I feel like I see her face more than A'ja or Stewie. Nike is a big part of that, but regardless she feels like the face of the W right now, despite being more like a top 15 player than one of the very best.

I'm into the shootout, should be fun. I didn't mind the shorter line thing or the ball. I'd rather see theme each competiting by the rules that they play in. It's not a 1:1 comparison.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:57 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Surprised they never did something like this with Taurausi when she was in her prime.

Sabrina feels like the most heavily marketed WNBA player since Taurasi or Candace Parker no? I feel like I see her face more than A'ja or Stewie. Nike is a big part of that, but regardless she feels like the face of the W right now, despite being more like a top 15 player than one of the very best.

I'm into the shootout, should be fun. I didn't mind the shorter line thing or the ball. I'd rather see theme each competiting by the rules that they play in. It's not a 1:1 comparison.

A'ja is criminally undermarketed, which is a shame because she's got such a vibrant personality

I could care less about the line or the ball. Dudes for some reason think that it's easier to shoot a WNBA ball than an NBA ball. It takes pure skill to shoot a basketball efficiently like how Sab does. The same ones complaining would be out there throwing up airballs with a WNBA ball.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#8 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
ellobo wrote:There's a long and predictably toxic thread about this on the general board, with arguments about whether it is a "valid" contest due to the longer NBA distance (I'm not going to say the shorter WNBA distance because the WNBA line is the same distance as the lines in all FIBA and NCAA competition for men and women), and, unironically, respective ball sizes.

Sabrina said she would shoot from NBA distance. If those Neanderthals on the GB knew anything about hoops, which they don't, they'd know that Sabrina routinely launches and makes threes from that distance all the time in games.

Whatever. I'm glad I'm restricted from that cesspool, i would have cussed them all out and gotten banned

My daughter got into a (playful) argument with one of her teacher's yesterday, because this competition came up in a general class conversation, and the consensus from everyone in the room was 'of course Steph will win...best shooter of all time"
None of the people in the room follow women's basketball, and the vast majority don't follow basketball at all, but they felt free not to listen to my daughter (who is obsessed, for better and worse) because 'common sense'.

All my daughter was saying was that it was good to have this competition, and that she hoped the best person won. Hardly controversial. Ironic when people feel free to use Steph's name in their stupid arguments when Steph himself has been much more respectful and inclusive.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,730

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:48 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

My daughter got into a (playful) argument with one of her teacher's yesterday, because this competition came up in a general class conversation, and the consensus from everyone in the room was 'of course Steph will win...best shooter of all time"
None of the people in the room follow women's basketball, and the vast majority don't follow basketball at all, but they felt free not to listen to my daughter (who is obsessed, for better and worse) because 'common sense'.

All my daughter was saying was that it was good to have this competition, and that she hoped the best person won. Hardly controversial. Ironic when people feel free to use Steph's name in their stupid arguments when Steph himself has been much more respectful and inclusive.

This is a cute story. Your daughter sounds cool.

Funny too because luck is ultimately going to decide this. Either Steph or Sabrina can shoot 80% on open 3s, but in a small sample, shooting luck creates a little variance, and one of them will miss 2-3 in a row. For the sake of enjoying the competition, we pretend the 3-point competition is a test of skill where the best player wins, but with so many elite 3-point shooters nowadays, it's basically a randomly determined event. Curry has been in the all-star shootout 7 times and won 4 of them. He's lost to guys like Marco Bellinelli and Joe Harris. I'm sure your daughter's classmates would have been pretty set on a Curry vs. Bellinelli argument as well.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#10 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:10 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Your daughter is right. It's a fun, healthy competition between two of the best shooters in the world. That's all this is, and while I'm rooting for Sab as a Liberty fan and W lover, I hope the best person wins at the end of the day.

Steph, from everything I've seen from him, would shoot all of that nonsense down as well. He has always shown Sabrina love.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:12 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

This is a cute story. Your daughter sounds cool.

Funny too because luck is ultimately going to decide this. Either Steph or Sabrina can shoot 80% on open 3s, but in a small sample, shooting luck creates a little variance, and one of them will miss 2-3 in a row. For the sake of enjoying the competition, we pretend the 3-point competition is a test of skill where the best player wins, but with so many elite 3-point shooters nowadays, it's basically a randomly determined event. Curry has been in the all-star shootout 7 times and won 4 of them. He's lost to guys like Marco Bellinelli and Joe Harris. I'm sure your daughter's classmates would have been pretty set on a Curry vs. Bellinelli argument as well.

Yep. Joe Harris cooked Steph that one year.

Anyone can be beaten on any given day.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:08 am

Up! Let's go Sabrina

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:27 am

Sabrina did great

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#14 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:04 pm

Only event on the day my whole family was interested in...lol
Good showing by both stars.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,451

Post#15 » by DOT » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:52 pm

Easily the best part of All Star weekend

If only it were literally anybody else except the GOAT shooter she'd've won :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:13 pm

DOT wrote:Easily the best part of All Star weekend

If only it were literally anybody else except the GOAT shooter she'd've won :lol:

It wouldn't have been as exciting i think. The challenge that Sabrina took on was what was so hype. I never rooted that hard for someone to win the 3 point contest in my life :lol:

It was fun.

Return to WNBA