RealGM
And1: 37,749

2024 WNBA Season Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:22 pm

It's almost hoops time

Preseason begins May 3rd

Regular season tips off May 14th

Caitlin Clark's superstar debut will be versus the Sun on the 14th

Chicago's Twin Towers (Kamila Cardoso and Angel Reese) debut on the 15th versus the Dallas Wings

Cameron Brink and Rickea Jackson, the new Dynamic Duo for the Sparks, begin their reign of terror on the 15th vs the Dream

Key Dates:

May 14: Regular Season Begins

June 1-13: WNBA Commissioner’s Cup Tournament

June 25: WNBA Commissioner’s Cup Championship

July 18-21: WNBA All-Star Break

July 20: WNBA All-Star Game

July 21- August 14: Olympic Break

August 20: Trade Deadline

September 19: Regular Season Ends

September 22: Playoffs Begin

And here is ESPN/ABC's TV schedule:

If you're not excited about this season, you must not like hoops!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Re: 2024 WNBA Season Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by zike_42 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:41 am

Apart from my watching my Liberty (and seems like everyone else follows NY here), I'm exited to see:

- obviously CC, but it'll be interesting to see how the other rookies perform. Especially Brink and Rickea at LA.
- I'm really intrigued in how the league capitalises on the increase in visibility due to CC. How do they react with more eyes and, unfortunately, more trolls.
- Seattle with their big three could make some noise. I hope SDS shows the world why she's so renowned.
- how the Aussies go this year. If Ezi makes a bigger jump to the upper tier.
- will the league be a bit boring like last season? Everyone knew it was going to be a NY vs LV final.

That's off the top of my head, I'm just looking forward to hitting up League Pass and watching some games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 1, 2024 10:24 pm

zike_42 wrote:Apart from my watching my Liberty (and seems like everyone else follows NY here), I'm exited to see:

- obviously CC, but it'll be interesting to see how the other rookies perform. Especially Brink and Rickea at LA.
- I'm really intrigued in how the league capitalises on the increase in visibility due to CC. How do they react with more eyes and, unfortunately, more trolls.
- Seattle with their big three could make some noise. I hope SDS shows the world why she's so renowned.
- how the Aussies go this year. If Ezi makes a bigger jump to the upper tier.
- will the league be a bit boring like last season? Everyone knew it was going to be a NY vs LV final.

That's off the top of my head, I'm just looking forward to hitting up League Pass and watching some games.

Fellow Liberty Bro :nod:

I don't think that this season will be boring, there's a lot of good young talent to follow, and we've got multiple teams that have serious firepower.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 4, 2024 7:57 am

Arike lays the hammer down

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 4, 2024 3:21 pm

CC's highlights from Preseason game 1:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 4, 2024 3:26 pm

By the way, I see online that people are shocked that:

-WNBA players have to fly commercial, which is a safety risk for players.

-There's next to no Preseason coverage and fans had to watch an illegal IPhone recording stream to watch the Sky play last night.

Caitlin Clark is opening people's eyes to a lot of things that the WNBA has desperately needed to fix for years and you know what? Good!!!

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,507

Post#7 » by ellobo » Sat May 4, 2024 5:52 pm

Fever-Wings as a really good game. It felt more like a regular season game than preseason. Dallas players celebrated Arike Ogunbowale's game winner like the game meant something, and that's how the whole game was played.

Among the rookies, Caitlin Clark played well, and did a lot of things she did in college: On the positive side, deep threes and some great passes. On the negative side, careless turnovers (5 in 28 minutes), and lack of intermediate game (she got blocked driving the ball into a big on a key late game possession, where she could have taken an 8 foot pullup or floater.

When she played off the ball, Erica Wheeler in particular seemed to be really looking to set her up and get her the ball. Dallas often had a defender hugging her off the ball 10 feet behind the three point line. But Indiana didn't seem to have prepared any actions to get Clark free, and seemed very tentative about just attacking 4 on 4.

When Clark played on the ball, she didn't seem in good synch with her teammates. Players didn't roll hard after setting or slipping ball screens (no one really looked to slip a screen and roll at all), no one was really cutting to the basket or moving to an open spot. They treated her like they were just expecting her to shoot every time. And when she did set teammates up, there were several missed layups. The anticipated chemistry with Aliyah Boston (who looked very lethargic) wasn't there.

For the Wings, Jacy Sheldon was efficient shooting and played good defense, but had 3 turnovers in limited minutes. Jaelyn Brown, who is on a training camp contract after being undrafted out of Cal in 2020, and played the last few years overseas, started, played 30 minutes and had a really nice game.

It was a tight, competitive game throughout, and then Arike Ogunbowale did her thing in the fourth quarter, including the game winning three.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,453

Post#8 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun May 5, 2024 9:03 am

Do you guys think the WNBA is blowing it by not showing any of the other teams highlights? im sure a lot of people wanna see chicago, LA or even seattle with the girl from Uconn.

i was trying to find out how Cardoso and Reese played in their debuts but nothing on YT or on their website. I think they are messing up a huge chance. like why are we not even shoing highlights of the last two national champs, that got drafted to the wnba? :D

oh and of course clark is going to be amazing.
im bout dat action boss
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,507

Post#9 » by ellobo » Sun May 5, 2024 5:54 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:Do you guys think the WNBA is blowing it by not showing any of the other teams highlights? im sure a lot of people wanna see chicago, LA or even seattle with the girl from Uconn.

i was trying to find out how Cardoso and Reese played in their debuts but nothing on YT or on their website. I think they are messing up a huge chance. like why are we not even shoing highlights of the last two national champs, that got drafted to the wnba? :D

oh and of course clark is going to be amazing.

I don't really watch highlights. I can't tell how someone played from just clips of their makes. But I would like to watch some of the games. A lot of the preseason games are not televised at all, so there are no TV cameras. You can't show highlights of something you don't point a camera at. The Chicago-Minnesota game (Cardoso and Reese) was not televised, but someone live streamed most of the game from a cell phone until league officials shut them down.

The Seattle-LA game was free on the WNBA app (as was the Indiana-Dallas game with Caitlin Clark). However, NIka Muhl was not eligible to play for Seattle due to visa problems. She was on a student visa to go to UCONN (which also meant she couldn't earn any NIL money), but she can't play pro ball on a student visa, and they're evidently still fixing the situation.

IMO, the WNBA would be better off long term making as many games as possible available for free to as many people as possible, such as making League Pass free (a lot of games are still blacked out in local markets). At this stage, they need to make as many new fans as they can while interest and curiosity are at an all-time high. If they build the audience, the game attendance, media rights fees, advertising revenue, and streaming subscriptions will come.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,506

Post#10 » by wojoaderge » Tue May 7, 2024 2:07 am

Jeez, I was all set to become a rabid Sky fan. I bought tickets to 6th and 8th games of the year and now 2 out of their 3 rookies are out for at least a month. What a bummer
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 7, 2024 10:16 pm

Good news, the league will now start flying all teams on chartered flights.

I guess that embarrassing scene the other day with people stalking the Fever through an airport sent a message.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 7, 2024 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter

About time that the league's top dog got a major endorsement deal.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#13 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed May 8, 2024 12:45 am

zike_42 wrote:Apart from my watching my Liberty (and seems like everyone else follows NY here)

I don't really have a team, but if forced to pick it'd be the Storm.

zike_42 wrote:- how the Aussies go this year. If Ezi makes a bigger jump to the upper tier.

Ezi will sometimes find any excuse to not dominate offensively. But I think she's in for a heck of a year at the other end.
I'm hoping Jade Melbourne gets some consistent burn this year and shows what she can do. Obviously not going to start, but regular rotation minutes would be great.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 8, 2024 10:30 am

Angel cooked my Liberty

Read on Twitter

It's Preseason, but like I've said: Reese's rebounding and length will translate to the pros. Her adding a reliable jumper is the next step.

DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,876

Post#15 » by DirtybirdGA » Wed May 8, 2024 12:38 pm

Good fn gracious..
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,915

Post#16 » by TheSuzerain » Thu May 9, 2024 7:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Angel cooked my Liberty

Read on Twitter

It's Preseason, but like I've said: Reese's rebounding and length will translate to the pros. Her adding a reliable jumper is the next step.

It's early. But it seems ridiculous to me she went #7 in the draft.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 9, 2024 10:12 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Angel cooked my Liberty

Read on Twitter

It's early. But it seems ridiculous to me she went #7 in the draft.

Yeah it's early. I still would have selected Cardoso and Brink ahead of her, but whoo boy. Angel is an absolute monster

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 am

Toronto has been awarded the next expansion team, so along with Golden State that's 24 new rosters spots opening up in 2026!

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,902

Post#19 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Anyone else think it's strange that Nike is announcing A'ja getting a shoe, but it's not coming out until 2025? I'm not sure I've seen that before.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 13, 2024 8:34 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Anyone else think it's strange that Nike is announcing A'ja getting a shoe, but it's not coming out until 2025? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

My guess? Nike had this in the works for awhile and let it leak once there was outcry that only Sabrina and Caitlin had signature shoes.

Return to WNBA