Players that would fit on the Knicks

Moderator: THE J0KER

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: Players that would fit on the Knicks 

Post#41 » by KWSN-Men » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm

jolbin wrote:ok, 3 seasons with Siena.. And earlier?

The BEST player in Italy.

Oh right my bad, you actually said, "You must be joking.. He cant even stay in one team in Euroleague for more than a season.. EXCLUDING the last 3 years where he was on Siena and the best player in Italy"............yep, that's what you actually posted, my bad for reading you wrong that you said,

"You must be joking.. He cant even stay in one team in Euroleague for more than a season.."
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#42 » by Rasho Brezec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Apollo64 wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:LOL. Report me to a mod, we'll see what happens. And you need to learn how to read, what I said is completely true. And just a friendly advice, there was once a poster who was a huge fan of European basketball and claimed he had a lot of knowledge of it and he had the same holier-than-thou attitude as you. He got banned.

His handle was Lakersfan or something like that? He had the exact same attitude with talkbasket (not saying they are the same person or anything...).

And about McIntyre, doesn't trash him, he played amazingly this year so far, especially in the Euroleague playoffs against PAO. He would definitely be an above average point guard in the NBA.
Yeah, if you look at his join date, I wouldn't say they're the same person, but they do have some eerily strange similarities: the attitude, claiming things and not providing any sources...

I agree I may have been a bit harsh on McIntyre, but saying he is better than Nate Robinson is just asinine. Superior athleticism is the only thing that's keeping Nate in the NBA, and even with that, he's still a defensive liability.
oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by oshmeehan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 pm

OK, let me put an end to this all

McIntyre is a great Euroleague player. Which is evident. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's been on the same team for 3 years, but BEFORE that he was a journeyman. Right after college he went to France, then Germany, then back to the US, then to Italy, which he played for 4 different teams since arriving in Italy. Right now he isn't a journeyman, but for the first 6-7 or so years of his career after college ball he was.

All that being said, McIntyre wouldn't average 20 ppg, even in the Knicks system unless he played over 40 minutes a game. And no way in hell would he be playing 40 minutes or more a game. NO player in the NBA averaged 40 minutes or more per game this season. Again, if he was in the NBA he would NOT be a starter, he'd be the 8th man on a team and have similar numbers that Navarro had with the Grizzlies last season. About 10 ppg, low assist numbers, and a high amount of 3-point shots taken.

And NO, McIntyre is not better than Nate Robinson is
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#44 » by KWSN-Men » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:LOL. Report me to a mod, we'll see what happens. And you need to learn how to read, what I said is completely true. And just a friendly advice, there was once a poster who was a huge fan of European basketball and claimed he had a lot of knowledge of it and he had the same holier-than-thou attitude as you. He got banned.

His handle was Lakersfan or something like that? He had the exact same attitude with talkbasket (not saying they are the same person or anything...).

And about McIntyre, doesn't trash him, he played amazingly this year so far, especially in the Euroleague playoffs against PAO. He would definitely be an above average point guard in the NBA.
Yeah, if you look at his join date, I wouldn't say they're the same person, but they do have some eerily strange similarities: the attitude, claiming things and not providing any sources...

I agree I may have been a bit harsh on McIntyre, but saying he is better than Nate Robinson is just asinine. Superior athleticism is the only thing that's keeping Nate in the NBA, and even with that, he's still a defensive liability.

I believe he is better than Robinson. You are the one making a HUGE issue out of me saying that, not the other way around. If that is how the other guy that was banned was treated and this was then labeled as "arrogance" then it is certainly nothing you should be bragging about.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#45 » by Rasho Brezec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 pm

talkbasket wrote:I believe he is better than Robinson. You are the one making a HUGE issue out of me saying that, not the other way around. If that is how the other guy that was banned was treated and this was then labeled as "arrogance" then it is certainly nothing you should be bragging about.

I'm the one making an issue? Don't play the victim card, look at your responses:

talkbasket wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:
talkbasket wrote:McIntyre is much better than Nate Robinson is.

:lol:

I just lost any respect I had for your basketball knowledge.

talkbasket wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Sure, McIntyre is better than Nate, which is why the better player is a career journeyman in Europe and the worse player is in the NBA.

Yep, I knew you had no basketball IQ when you said Diamantidis was Europe's best "point guard". You only confirm it completely with this post.

So, please, don't act innocent.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#46 » by Joana » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:I want to hear some opinions from this board, some of you know what you're talking about. So name some players that would do well in D'Antoni's system. This is what I posted on Knicks board few days ago, keep in mind I was only thinking of some options that I thought would be realistic - I was looking at unsigned draft picks that could be traded for cash:

I agree with your assessments of those players. However, I'm not sure if all of them would be good fits fro the Knicks or even should be considered as strong NBA prospects - especially considering the status most of them already achieved in Europe.

Becirovic is a great player but he'd be too much of a defensive liability in the NBA. Whatever he could produce on offense, even being extremely optimistic, wouldn't make up for what he'd give defensively. Then you have guys like Akiol, Halperin, Dragicevic and Lorbek, who would struggle to translate their game to the NBA due to their sub-par athleticism for NBA standards. Lorbek would indeed be a nice fit in D'Antoni's offensive system and has improved remarkably this season, learning to play lower and moving more efficiently defensively, but I don't think it's enough yet. I mean, all of them could eventually be useful rotational players in the NBA. But I'd be sceptical about their chances and a lot of stars would have to align (would Halperin - who's having a great season in a big club - have the mental fortitude? would Akiol be quick enough to defend NBA guards? etc) in order for them to succeed. I think there are two many question marks about these guys; only a team with a very specific need and a very clear vision on how to use the player should consider them. And as important, if not more, would they be willing to accept a smaller role? Is the money you can pay for that role enough to bribe them away from Europe?

Fran is a similar case. He could be the ultimate garbage man in the NBA. Too limited to be a starter in a good team, but a solid backup big. The Knicks could certainly use his ability to block shots, especially if they didn't need to play him many minutes. But bringing him in.... is it worth the trouble? You never know when he gets depressed and stops producing; you'd need your guards to make some plays for him to keep him focused on the game otherwise he'll start missing open dunks and committing stupid fouls.

Lior Eliyahu is a good prospect, still with some untapped potential, I think; but in the NBA he'd be a man without a position and one not very adept of playing defence. I'm someone who strongly values positional purity (from a NBA perspective; not exactly in the euro game but that's a different story), and I'm not sure if I'd value a guy like Eliyahu if I'm the Knicks - especially considering they already have a better version of him in Gallinari and more combo forwards like Harrington and Chandler. I think Eliyahu needs to define a defensive identity before joining a NBA team.

Ilyasova has grown up a lot in the past 2 seasons; I see him as a sure bet to be a rotational player in the NBA providing he falls into the right situation - especially considering how strong he's become defensively. He's not exactly a great 3pt shooter though, I don't think so.

Freeland is still too raw to play in the NBA. If you bring him now, you'd probably need to send him to the D-League for awhile. However, he has very good tools to become a NBA contributor in due time. Once he strengthens his body, gets a couple of go-to moves, learns the pick'n'roll game and solidifies his defence, some team will look at him and bring him over. Not next season though.

Now, the hot-issue of McIntyre: I actually believe he'd be someone the Knicks, or some other team, should consider. He'd never be as productive as Robinson, but the point is that he'd be much cheaper. Much, much cheaper - and unlike the other guys, you wouldn't need to trade for his NBA rights. The way I see it, a basketball career is a marathon. Some players mature faster than others. McIntyre has been growing his game in Siena every season, stopped being a journeyman a few years ago, and, IMO, has at least 2 years of NBA basketball in him. His size and skill-set limits him, but as a guard off the bench that could put points in the board quickly, bring the ball up, run the fastbreak and initiatte the offence, he could be quite useful, a la Eddie House. Or like Will Bynum. I won't guarantee he would be a success, but I think he's good enough to be worth a shot (obviously for the right price; I'm assuming Terrell would take a paycut to play in the NBA). He could be a defensive liability due to his size, but disregarding the size he's an excellent defender, even for NBA standards, so a good coach would know how to control that potential problem. IMO, he was the most impressive player in this Euroleague. What he did, especially after Lavrinovic went down, was amazing.

oshmeehan, Navarro had a very solid season for a rookie playing in such a difficult situation like the one in Memphis last season - especially after Pau left town. There's a reason why Chris Wallace tendered him an offer. In fact, for the first few months, Scola wasn't significantly better than him - quite the opposite. And we all know how that Scola trade looks now. In a different situation, Navarro could be an excellent solution for a NBA team looking for a backup guard able to stretch the floor, score and make some plays. It's a good example of how clubs who are planning about bringing up a overseas player need to think very thoroughly about what they're doing.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#47 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:51 am

Joana wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:I want to hear some opinions from this board, some of you know what you're talking about. So name some players that would do well in D'Antoni's system. This is what I posted on Knicks board few days ago, keep in mind I was only thinking of some options that I thought would be realistic - I was looking at unsigned draft picks that could be traded for cash:

I agree with your assessments of those players. However, I'm not sure if all of them would be good fits fro the Knicks or even should be considered as strong NBA prospects - especially considering the status most of them already achieved in Europe.

Becirovic is a great player but he'd be too much of a defensive liability in the NBA. Whatever he could produce on offense, even being extremely optimistic, wouldn't make up for what he'd give defensively. Then you have guys like Akiol, Halperin, Dragicevic and Lorbek, who would struggle to translate their game to the NBA due to their sub-par athleticism for NBA standards. Lorbek would indeed be a nice fit in D'Antoni's offensive system and has improved remarkably this season, learning to play lower and moving more efficiently defensively, but I don't think it's enough yet. I mean, all of them could eventually be useful rotational players in the NBA. But I'd be sceptical about their chances and a lot of stars would have to align (would Halperin - who's having a great season in a big club - have the mental fortitude? would Akiol be quick enough to defend NBA guards? etc) in order for them to succeed. I think there are two many question marks about these guys; only a team with a very specific need and a very clear vision on how to use the player should consider them. And as important, if not more, would they be willing to accept a smaller role? Is the money you can pay for that role enough to bribe them away from Europe?

Fran is a similar case. He could be the ultimate garbage man in the NBA. Too limited to be a starter in a good team, but a solid backup big. The Knicks could certainly use his ability to block shots, especially if they didn't need to play him many minutes. But bringing him in.... is it worth the trouble? You never know when he gets depressed and stops producing; you'd need your guards to make some plays for him to keep him focused on the game otherwise he'll start missing open dunks and committing stupid fouls.

Lior Eliyahu is a good prospect, still with some untapped potential, I think; but in the NBA he'd be a man without a position and one not very adept of playing defence. I'm someone who strongly values positional purity (from a NBA perspective; not exactly in the euro game but that's a different story), and I'm not sure if I'd value a guy like Eliyahu if I'm the Knicks - especially considering they already have a better version of him in Gallinari and more combo forwards like Harrington and Chandler. I think Eliyahu needs to define a defensive identity before joining a NBA team.

Ilyasova has grown up a lot in the past 2 seasons; I see him as a sure bet to be a rotational player in the NBA providing he falls into the right situation - especially considering how strong he's become defensively. He's not exactly a great 3pt shooter though, I don't think so.

Freeland is still too raw to play in the NBA. If you bring him now, you'd probably need to send him to the D-League for awhile. However, he has very good tools to become a NBA contributor in due time. Once he strengthens his body, gets a couple of go-to moves, learns the pick'n'roll game and solidifies his defence, some team will look at him and bring him over. Not next season though.

Now, the hot-issue of McIntyre: I actually believe he'd be someone the Knicks, or some other team, should consider. He'd never be as productive as Robinson, but the point is that he'd be much cheaper. Much, much cheaper - and unlike the other guys, you wouldn't need to trade for his NBA rights. The way I see it, a basketball career is a marathon. Some players mature faster than others. McIntyre has been growing his game in Siena every season, stopped being a journeyman a few years ago, and, IMO, has at least 2 years of NBA basketball in him. His size and skill-set limits him, but as a guard off the bench that could put points in the board quickly, bring the ball up, run the fastbreak and initiatte the offence, he could be quite useful, a la Eddie House. Or like Will Bynum. I won't guarantee he would be a success, but I think he's good enough to be worth a shot (obviously for the right price; I'm assuming Terrell would take a paycut to play in the NBA). He could be a defensive liability due to his size, but disregarding the size he's an excellent defender, even for NBA standards, so a good coach would know how to control that potential problem. IMO, he was the most impressive player in this Euroleague. What he did, especially after Lavrinovic went down, was amazing.

oshmeehan, Navarro had a very solid season for a rookie playing in such a difficult situation like the one in Memphis last season - especially after Pau left town. There's a reason why Chris Wallace tendered him an offer. In fact, for the first few months, Scola wasn't significantly better than him - quite the opposite. And we all know how that Scola trade looks now. In a different situation, Navarro could be an excellent solution for a NBA team looking for a backup guard able to stretch the floor, score and make some plays. It's a good example of how clubs who are planning about bringing up a overseas player need to think very thoroughly about what they're doing.

Of the players he asked about I agree pretty much. The only current NBA material in that group is Ilyasova and Vasquez. Lorbek in time....I would wait until he has 2 years like that on a big club, instead of just one. Halperin way too big of a choker he's not NBA material. Eliyahu and Becirovic literally no defense at all, especially Becirovic. They don't play D at all.

The other guys mentioned should not even be considered at this point really. Ilyasova and Vasquez are NBA talents though right now I think. I would wait a little bit on Lorbek.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#48 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 am

Thank you for your insight, Joana. Yeah, I wouldn't expect much from anyone from them, solid rotation players would be all that is needed from them. Vasquez and Lorbek could potentially start at C, because Knicks practically have no one else: Curry is fat like always and Jeffries is atrocious.

I know that athleticism is the biggest problem when it comes to transitioning from Europe to NBA. I do think, however, that high basketball IQ can make up for some of that deficiency, at least to the point where they could play 10-15 minutes a game and make a positive impact.

I won't argue that Becirovic isn't a bad defender; he is. Sadly, I don't think D'Antoni would really care that much. He may complain a lot to the media about defense, but he doesn't do much about it.

About positional purity: I feel the same way as you, but I was trying to use D'Antoni's mindset. He likes mismatches - putting Jeffries on Rondo, Lee at C, Nate at SG, etc. That's why I was looking at some of those players who're able to play multiple positions.
gofret
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#49 » by gofret » Sat May 2, 2009 1:03 pm

@Joanna i guess u dont know much about Ersan.He bulked up alot.Hes 4 with a face up game/excellent 3pt shooter.He could be 13/7 guy easily in D'antoni's system.

Some of his stats from euroleague

Code: Select all

48.1%   40.8%   83.3%

From Spanish leauge

52.3%   45.6%   72.9%

He can defend most of power 4s and his lateral quickness helps alot aganist hybrid PFs. He has nice work ethic and laid back personality.

About Akyol, Hes done.He will never come out Turkey.He was hyped alot but couldnt improve a lil bit.Still same dude with some handling,shooting,passing.jack of all master of none
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#50 » by Joana » Sun May 3, 2009 11:26 pm

gofret wrote:@Joanna i guess u dont know much about Ersan.He bulked up alot.Hes 4 with a face up game/excellent 3pt shooter.He could be 13/7 guy easily in D'antoni's system.

Some of his stats from euroleague

48.1%   40.8%   83.3%

From Spanish leauge

52.3%   45.6%   72.9%

He can defend most of power 4s and his lateral quickness helps alot aganist hybrid PFs. He has nice work ethic and laid back personality.

About Akyol, Hes done.He will never come out Turkey.He was hyped alot but couldnt improve a lil bit.Still same dude with some handling,shooting,passing.jack of all master of none

Well, I'm a Bucks fan and I see Barcelona playing every other week. I'm pretty comfortable with my level of information about Ersan. I'm not sure what prompted you to disagree with me; I said Ilyasova would easily be a rotation player in the NBA - and I've been saying he's been there for awhile now. I 've even argued he'd be the Bucks best PF this season a few months ago. Is it about me saying he isn't a "great" 3 pt shooter? That's probably semantics; Ilyasova is a very good outside shooter, especially for a big, but I wouldn't call him great, especially considering he's still somewhat streaky. For example, I'd say Teletovic is a great 3pt shooter. But again, I agree with most you said; especially that he'd be a better fit in an up-tempo team like the Knicks.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#51 » by Cammo101 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:37 am

oshmeehan wrote:OK, let me put an end to this all

McIntyre is a great Euroleague player. Which is evident. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's been on the same team for 3 years, but BEFORE that he was a journeyman. Right after college he went to France, then Germany, then back to the US, then to Italy, which he played for 4 different teams since arriving in Italy. Right now he isn't a journeyman, but for the first 6-7 or so years of his career after college ball he was.

All that being said, McIntyre wouldn't average 20 ppg, even in the Knicks system unless he played over 40 minutes a game. And no way in hell would he be playing 40 minutes or more a game. NO player in the NBA averaged 40 minutes or more per game this season. Again, if he was in the NBA he would NOT be a starter, he'd be the 8th man on a team and have similar numbers that Navarro had with the Grizzlies last season. About 10 ppg, low assist numbers, and a high amount of 3-point shots taken.

And NO, McIntyre is not better than Nate Robinson is

Correct
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#52 » by Cammo101 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:39 am

As far as Fran goes, I think Orlando is going to push pretty hard for him to come over this offseason. Gortat is likely playing himself out of Orlando and into bigger money right now and Fran is the most likely replacement for him.
jt142
Rookie

Post#53 » by jt142 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:09 am

KWSN-Men wrote:McIntyre is much better than Nate Robinson is.

:lol:

No way!

You really overhype Euroleague players.
jt142
Rookie

Post#54 » by jt142 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:13 am

oshmeehan wrote:
talkbasket wrote:
oshmeehan wrote:Also, do you even know how many players averaged 20 ppg in the NBA this season??? Only 20! There were 15 players that were 21 ppg or higher, only 12 players at 22+ ppg, and only 6 players that scored 23 ppg or more!

You state McIntyre would average OVER 20 ppg. So how much over are you talking? 3 more points per game so he'd be in the top 6 in the NBA in scoring?!

In that system the Knicks run if he played starter minutes, he would average somewhere between 19-22 per game. Absolutely not a doubt in my mind about it.

LMAO, almost every player in the NBA could average 19-22 ppg if given starter minutes. There is a reason they aren't all given starter minutes though, because they don't deserve it!

Its OK for you to like your guys, but please lets not overrate them. McIntyre wouldn't be anything more than a 12-13 ppg player, even in the Knicks system

+1
jt142
Rookie

Post#55 » by jt142 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:16 am

oshmeehan wrote:Also, do you even know how many players averaged 20 ppg in the NBA this season??? Only 20! There were 15 players that were 21 ppg or higher, only 12 players at 22+ ppg, and only 6 players that scored 23 ppg or more!

You state McIntyre would average OVER 20 ppg. So how much over are you talking? 3 more points per game so he'd be in the top 6 in the NBA in scoring?!

+1

Return to International Basketball