FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

Marko_MFFL
Freshman
And1: 57

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 part 3 SEMIS (USA vs GERMANY : SERBIA vs CANADA) poll added 

Post#21 » by Marko_MFFL » Wed Sep 6, 2023 9:54 pm

I voted for my national team (Serbia) (I just can't vote against my team :D), but I think the champion will be Canada. :)
thejigglyroom
Rookie
And1: 1,207

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 part 3 SEMIS (USA vs GERMANY : SERBIA vs CANADA) poll added 

Post#22 » by thejigglyroom » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:08 pm

-Luke- wrote:So what are we all going to do next Monday?

My 9ers start up. Also get to watch my Giants continue to melt down. Fun times ahead
Nyk_Fatboy:
Carmelos better than durant, Lance stephensons better than harden, Wade, Wall, Derozan, Parker, Westbrick and i prefer antetokoumpo over Griffin, bosh and dirk but its debatable
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,037

Post#23 » by Sofia » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:31 pm

Luka get in all the physical shape he wants but mentally he’s still a child
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,389

Post#24 » by durden_tyler » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:00 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Meeksology wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:40 PIR (FIBA one where they dont count foul draws). Goddamn.

Added poll, can vote now.

loving the "world champions" all in caps in the poll :wink: :lol:

I swear it is not because of recent debacle, or any other narrative. Its world cup, winner is world champion, might as well highlight it, but I didnt really intend to make a statement. Personally, I am not American, to me NBA champions calling themselves World champs was always stupid, but they call their national Baseball playoffs "World series'', so thats just how that culture is.

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ooof, imagine getting Croatia as your third tier...

It's not going to be based on FIBA rankings though right? The WC finish will dictate the teams included in it i believe.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#25 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:14 pm

Dennis the Menace goes 4-26 and Germany still wins. Thats wild.
djw
Junior
And1: 610

Post#26 » by djw » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:37 pm

durden_tyler wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Meeksology wrote:loving the "world champions" all in caps in the poll :wink: :lol:

I swear it is not because of recent debacle, or any other narrative. Its world cup, winner is world champion, might as well highlight it, but I didnt really intend to make a statement. Personally, I am not American, to me NBA champions calling themselves World champs was always stupid, but they call their national Baseball playoffs "World series'', so thats just how that culture is.

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's not going to be based on FIBA rankings though right? The WC finish will dictate the teams included in it i believe.

The World Cup seeding and those other tournaments dictated who‘s in it but the FIBA ranking determines the tiers as above.

So yeah, wild things could happen. Lots of good basketbalm ahead in the 2024 summer.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#27 » by durden_tyler » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:46 pm

djw wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

The World Cup seeding and those other tournaments dictated who‘s in it but the FIBA ranking determines the tiers as above.

So yeah, wild things could happen. Lots of good basketbalm ahead in the 2024 summer.

Yeah but the tweet was wrong mentioning teams that aren't even going to be at the OQT. FIBA Rankings will be used indeed for the draw for the OQTs.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 708

Post#28 » by BliscoSantos » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:40 am

Marko_MFFL wrote:I voted for my national team (Serbia) (I just can't vote against my team :D), but I think the champion will be Canada. :)

I think the champion will be USA(unless Germany beats them) but I think Serbia wins against Canada...Canada isn't that scary and they got a lot of favorable whistles against Spain and Slovenia
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,810

Post#29 » by makubesu » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:48 am

Buckets22 wrote:

Debate the top 5 PGs of all time?

How about a thread where we regurgitate takes out whether Lebron or MJ was better?
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#30 » by durden_tyler » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:51 am

i mentioned this before but WC scheduling is perfect timing in time for the NFL season. Heck Friday is going to be loaded already, Opening Night Chiefs vs Lions + World Cup semis + US Open.

Sports offseason is officially over.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#31 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:38 am

I don't really watch FIBA basketball like that, so does the MVP have to come from the winning team?
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,973

Post#32 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:55 am

Canada is really gelling. I think it was a blessing that Murray opted out. It makes the pecking order crystal clear and the secondary players can max out their roles. Plus, all their guys, except Olynyk, have 2-way potential. But even Olynyk is a versatile big that contributes in so many ways. Canucks have a bit of everything, including the best player left in the tournament and found their chemistry. The US has the best overall talent depth, but some guys are still adjusting to their roles.

I predict a Canada-US nail biter final… flip a coin. Could even be overtime.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#33 » by durden_tyler » Thu Sep 7, 2023 2:11 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Canada is really gelling. I think it was a blessing that Murray opted out. It makes the pecking order crystal clear and the secondary players can max out their roles. Plus, all their guys, except Olynyk, have 2-way potential. But even Olynyk is a versatile big that contributes in so many ways. Canucks have a bit of everything, including the best player left in the tournament and found their chemistry. The US has the best overall talent depth, but some guys are still adjusting to their roles.

I predict a Canada-US nail biter final… flip a coin. Could even be overtime.

They need Murray to beat the USA. You have to match them depth for depth (in this case maybe Barret comes off the bench) to have a chance. Canada has played very well but will still be big underdogs vs US in the probable Gold Medal match.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,327

Post#34 » by ItsDanger » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:12 am

Read on Twitter
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 424

Post#35 » by boogiezen » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:25 am

Dream match up for FIBA. USA vs. Canada. They will give SGA 20+ free throws against Serbia. Germany has a chance only if Dennis doesn't stinks again.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Ruma85
Starter
And1: 935

Post#36 » by Ruma85 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:28 am

boogiezen wrote:Dream match up for FIBA. USA vs. Canada. They will give SGA 20+ free throws against Serbia. Germany has a chance only if Dennis doesn't stinks again.

Unlikely, we do not foul like that.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 424

Post#37 » by boogiezen » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:36 am

Ruma85 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Dream match up for FIBA. USA vs. Canada. They will give SGA 20+ free throws against Serbia. Germany has a chance only if Dennis doesn't stinks again.

You didn't watch the game against Slovenia? Every single thing, they called foul. Heck, he had 16 free throws compared to Slovenia's 19 free throws the entire game. I won't be surprised if they will do the same thing, especially it's a dream match up for FIBA.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Ruma85
Starter
And1: 935

Post#38 » by Ruma85 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 3:45 am

boogiezen wrote:
Ruma85 wrote:

You didn't watch the game against Slovenia? Every single thing, they called foul. Heck, he had 16 free throws compared to Slovenia's 19 free throws the entire game. I won't be surprised if they will do the same thing, especially it's a dream match up for FIBA.

I did, I agree with some members some calls should be no calls.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#39 » by bb22 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 4:16 am

Really hoping Canada can run all the way to a gold. However, I don’t know how they get past Serbia. Experienced, big, deadly from the perimeter, and well coached.
Also, even if Canada makes it to the finals the US is a horrible matchup. Don’t have enough size or shooting to beat them. Would need heroics from SGA and a poor shooting night from team USA to pull off an upset.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#40 » by darmani » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:20 am

durden_tyler wrote:
djw wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:

Yeah but the tweet was wrong mentioning teams that aren't even going to be at the OQT. FIBA Rankings will be used indeed for the draw for the OQTs.

The only mistake is there should be Philippines (in pot 5) instead of China (Georgia goes to pot 4). Anything else?
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker

Return to International Basketball