FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

djw
Junior
And1: 610

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1621 » by djw » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:13 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany like basketball. A really big myth.

Well, the basketball community in itself is passionate and enthusiastic so the team ganes are often sold out. But arenas are rather small and it‘s a bubble. Outside of the bubble the attention is very below average. The final was the only game shown on regular TV for example. While other sports like track and field, various skiing sports etc get regular TV presence. It is in the lower tier of attention in general. Trust me, I live here.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,495

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1622 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:16 pm

greekman wrote:trae gets to the line. butler can play different positions. zion instantly changes the game.

Reaves and Brunson might have been the worst defenders at the guard position in the entire tournament. The main problem was defense, not scoring.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,057

Post#1623 » by -Luke- » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
-Luke- wrote:It is definitely true that there is a very loyal fan base, but overall basketball does not play such a big role (although I hope that will change since today). It's more like a numbers game. A country with 80+ million people will fill arenas even if the sports are less popular. So all in all I would say more than 95% of the people have no idea about basketball, but the fan bases are very loyal.

For example, about ten years ago or so there was this Dirk Nowitzki movie in the cinema, "The Perfect Shot". It was hard to even find a movie theatre that showed it and nobody wanted to go see the movie with me because nobody I know in real life watches basketball. They know Dirk from the tv but nobody really knows what he meant to basketball. There were three or four other people movie theatre when I watched it.

Yeah, but people from like USA or outside Europe that don't follow basketball are asking here, and everyone is just like "no one watches basketball or cares about in Germany", etc.

We can argue about percentages, but the fact way more people are watching basketball games in those German arenas than they are in Greece, Serbia, Lithuania, which the same threads here are saying "basketball is so popular there". Yeah, but in Germany I guarantee the attendance is way, way higher.

So it's painting a very, very misleading picture of the level of basketball popularity in Germany to people here that don't understand the nuances of it.

I would still say that's a numbers game. Using wikipedia numbers, Serbia has 6.6 million people, Greece 10.5 million, Lithuania 2.8 million. Germany has more than 80 million. Other than Alba, all the arenas have a capacity of about 5000 people. It's not that hard to fill an arena like that if there are millions of people in a radius of 50km.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1624 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm

lambchop wrote:Props to Banchi. I really wonder how he would do coaching a Euroleague team. Seems like an awesome coach, but overall the style of play in this tournament was still different from normal FIBA ball and Euroleague.

Edit: Also props to Zagars and Milutinov for making the 2nd team as non NBA players. Zagars is still a huge surprise to me, given where he normally plays and how struggled against top competition in club play.

He has had lots of chances over the years with teams in EuroLeague, and the secondary leagues like FIBA BCL and EuroCup. I don't recall him ever having a good season at any level, and he's been fired in the middle of the season on multiple occasions.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#1625 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:21 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Sabonis is not the only key player. Grigonis is by far the best guard of theirs, Ulanovas and Butkevicius are two main SFs, Kulboka potentially could start at PF, and Lekavicius is the only decent back up pg they have on paper. So, potentially, 4 starters are missing and number 1 guy from the bench?

Man, I really don't get your fascination with Grigonis. Dude was an absolute disaster with Panathinaikos.

He is proven with Zalgiris and NT to be EL elite level. One season in PAO, where entire team was disaster, where he hated the coach who was fired anyway, doesnt prove anything. Grigonis has always started it slow on new clubs, he will soon be one of PAO star players.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1626 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:28 pm

It's still higher attendance than in Lithuania, Greece, Serbia, which everyone here is putting in the basketball is very popular category. There are a lot of German teams, in a lot of different parts of the country that are able to fill up arenas, and it's been that way for a long time. So lots of people are seeing and supporting basketball in Germany.

Even if by total percentage of the population, it's low.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1627 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:33 pm

UcanUwill wrote:He is proven with Zalgiris and NT to be EL elite level. One season in PAO, where entire team was disaster, where he hated the coach who was fired anyway, doesnt prove anything. Grigonis has always started it slow on new clubs, he will soon be one of PAO star players.

So a proven EuroLeague player goes to the NBA, the coach doesn't like him, they bench him because they just don't like players from Europe........but that's not anything to do with the coach or team, that's 100% on the player....

Seems like just a tad bit of a double standard there.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1628 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:43 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:He is proven with Zalgiris and NT to be EL elite level. One season in PAO, where entire team was disaster, where he hated the coach who was fired anyway, doesnt prove anything. Grigonis has always started it slow on new clubs, he will soon be one of PAO star players.

So a proven EuroLeague player goes to the NBA, the coach doesn't like him, they bench him because they just don't like players from Europe........but that's not anything to do with the coach or team, that's 100% on the player....

Seems like just a tad bit of a double standard there.

If you speak about Spanoulis, I backed you many times that Spanoulis could have made it, I just call you out when you ignore every other evidence that he isnt some kind of NBA level star, which he wasn't, he lacked NBA level bounce, shotmaking ability SGA or ANT showed, natural tools and everything of the sort, he had talent to be rotation player, but not a personality or play style. Dude commanded half court offense inteligently on the inferior level and thats who he was.

And the only difference here, is that Grigonis is proven at Euroleague and FIBA level, so what are you even talking about? I am not claiming he COULD be good, he WAS good. He was star on Zalgiris and was Star and stacked Lithuanian teams, our top 3 players in few tournaments now have been clear as day /Jonas, Domantas and Grigonis, Grigonis often being even the best out of the 3. But you still come to me and say he is not that good, based on your sample, when entire picture clearly states the opposite.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,203

Post#1629 » by Mickey8 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:44 pm

Congrats to Germany, they were the better team today and overall they were the best team in the tournament, not losing a single game, really impressive. I am proud of our Serbian team. I expected us to bounce out before the semi finals, with all the absences, Simanic tragic situation etc. We gave Germans a good fight, we didn't give up until the end. Too bad Dobric got hurt in the first few minutes of the game, he was a very important player for us , especially defensively. Overall we played a good basketball
at the World cup, we have qualified to the Olympics and played in the finals and next year we should be even better if Jokic decides to play and a few other players who were missing as well.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,302

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 FINALS : GERMANY vs SERBIA (final poll added, vote and be wrong again) 

Post#1630 » by azcatz11 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:50 pm

durden_tyler wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Canada +7.5 vs USA
Serbia +1.5 vs Germany

This is going to be a great final World Cup day.

Picking Serbia to win it all!

Canada feels like free money here

That's why i'm avoiding it, feels like too easy. Might just go Over on that Bronze game, though the Americans have been embarrassed defensively in their losses so i wonder if still show the defensive effort tonight.

See! Lol
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1631 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:56 pm

UcanUwill wrote:If you speak about Spanoulis, I backed you many times that Spanoulis could have made it, I just call you out when you ignore every other evidence that he isnt some kind of NBA level star, which he wasn't, he lacked NBA level bounce, shotmaking ability SGA or ANT showed, natural tools and everything of the sort, he had talent to be rotation player, but not a personality or play style. Dude commanded half court offense inteligently on the inferior level and thats who he was.

And the only difference here, is that Grigonis is proven at Euroleague and FIBA level, so what are you even talking about? I am not claiming he COULD be good, he WAS good. He was star on Zalgiris and was Star and stacked Lithuanian teams, our top 3 players in few tournaments now have been clear as day /Jonas, Domantas and Grigonis, Grigonis often being even the best out of the 3. But you still come to me and say he is not that good, based on your sample, when entire picture clearly states the opposite.

I hate to break it to you, but Spanoulis had a recorded 40 inch vertical. How is that not enough bounce? At some point he did stop trying to dunk the ball, because his trainers told him it would extend his career, because he was having ankle and knee injuries from landing in the wrong way. But I remember even when he was like mid 30s or something he had a put back dunk on Real, where he was like a foot above the rim. If you had ever seen him play when he was younger, before the trainers told him to stop dunking for injury reasons, I am thinking like age 25 and below, something like that, he had some huge dunks. At one of those youth tournaments, he was dunking all over 7 foot guys in the lane. He had an actually extremely impressive vertical, even for the NBA.

Even as an old player, way past 30, he could hang in the air and still get his shot off, and his elevation on his jump shot was the best in Europe. He had the by far, and I mean not even close was the next player, highest elevation on his jump shot of any player in Europe. Even at like 35 he had the highest elevation on his jumper in Europe. I mean come on. If you are going to rate players based on scouting their physical traits, you at least have to be right about it. Spanoulis was a very explosive athlete and you sound like you never saw him play once in your life.

Sure, some great or very good EuroLeague point guards that went to the NBA were not very athletic, like Jasikevicius, Teodosic, or Huertas, guys like that. But Spanoulis was extremely athletic. Blowing by Team USA guards and wings left and right, not one of them could stay in front of him on defense. He would just blow past them like child's play. And he was incredibly quick and fast with the ball, could go half the court in a couple seconds or less. He also had a tremendous motor, stamina, and endurance. Probably the most of any player in Europe in all three categories. I remember Carrol saying Spanoulis was the most conditioned athlete he ever saw in Europe. And I forget which center it was, it might have been Batiste (not sure), but they said he was stronger than the centers on the team were and out lifted everyone in the weight room. If anything, Spanoulis was 10 times more suited for the NBA from an athletic side, than he was for the EuroLeague.

And what in the world do you mean by he lacked shot making ability and personality? Every year they did that survey in Europe the coaches said he was the best shooter in Europe (Navarro always came in second) and they always said he had the biggest personality in Europe (Diamantidis usually came in second).

And I wasn't even talking about Spanoulis specifically, just in general terms. I am saying that, not you specifically and/or specifically on the case of Spanoulis, but there are players that go from EuroLeague and deal with this same thing, and pretty much across the board are labeled as unable to play in the NBA. Even when many far, I mean FAR WORSE players from EuroLeague become starters in the NBA.

But seriously though, you are completely and totally incapable of being able to properly judge anyone's athleticism if you think Spanoulis wasn't athletic. The NBA scouting reports from the youth tournaments and rookie camps said he was an absolute freak level athlete. If Spanoulis wasn't athletic, then someone like say Chris Paul for example, would be the worst athlete to ever touch a basketball, by comparison.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#1632 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:12 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:If you speak about Spanoulis, I backed you many times that Spanoulis could have made it, I just call you out when you ignore every other evidence that he isnt some kind of NBA level star, which he wasn't, he lacked NBA level bounce, shotmaking ability SGA or ANT showed, natural tools and everything of the sort, he had talent to be rotation player, but not a personality or play style. Dude commanded half court offense inteligently on the inferior level and thats who he was.

I hate to break it to you, but Spanoulis had a recorded 40 inch vertical. How is that not enough bounce? At some point he did stop trying to dunk the ball, because his trainers told him it would extend his career, because he was having ankle and knee injuries from lading in the wrong way. But I remember even when he was like mid 30s or something he had a put back dunk on Real, where he was like a foot above the rim. If you had ever seen him play when he was younger, before the trainers told him to stop dunking for injury reasons, I am thinking like age 25 and below, something like that, he had some huge dunks. At one of those youth tournaments, he was dunking all over 7 foot guys in the lane. He had an actually extremely impressive vertical, even for the NBA.

Even as an old player, way past 30, he could hang in the air and still get his shot off, and his elevation on his jump shot was the best in Europe. He had the by far, and I mean not even close was the next player, highest elevation on his jump shot release of any player in Europe. Even at like 35 he had the highest elevation on his jumper in Europe. I mean come on. If you are going to rate players base don scouting their physical traits, you at least have top be right about it. Spanoulis was a very explosive athlete and you sound like you never saw him play once in your life.

Sure, some great EuroLeague guards that went to the NBA were not athletic, like Jasikevicius or Huertas, guys like that. But Spanoulis was extremely athletic. Blowing by Team USA guards left and right, not one of them could stay in front of him on defense. He would just blow past them like child's play. And he was incredibly quick and fast with the ball, could go half the court in a couple seconds or less. He also had a tremendous motor, stamina, and endurance. Probably the most of any player in Europe in all three categories. I remember Carrol saying Spanoulis was the most conditioned athlete he ever saw in Europe. If anything, Spanoulis was 10 times more suited for the NBA from an athletic side, than he was for the NBA.

And what in the world you mean by he lacked shot making ability and personality? Every year they did that survey in Europe the coaches said he was the best shooter in Europe (Navarro always came in second) and they always said he had the biggest personality in Europe (Diamantidis usually came in second).

And I wasn't even talking about Spanoulis specifically, just in general terms. I am saying that, not you specifically and/or specifically on the case of Spanoulis, but there are players that go from EuroLeague and deal with this same thing, and pretty much across the board are labeled as unable to play in the NBA. Even when many far, I mean FAR WORSE players from EuroLeague become starters in the NBA.

Man, you are still butt hurt that Spanoulis wasn't good enough to secure few minutes from the bench in the NBA but as soft as he was, he runned away from challenge back to his minor league. I mean he could stayed in USA and become MVP of WNBA.

But off topic, give us your expert opinnion on Brad Miller

Mirotic12 wrote:Jokic is peak Brad Miller with worse defense and less physicality. Yeah, he's clearly overrated. But that's what happens when the center position becomes so bad overall.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,483

Post#1633 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:21 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but Spanoulis had a recorded 40 inch vertical. How is that not enough bounce? At some point he did stop trying to dunk the ball, because his trainers told him it would extend his career, because he was having ankle and knee injuries from landing in the wrong way. But I remember even when he was like mid 30s or something he had a put back dunk on Real, where he was like a foot above the rim. If you had ever seen him play when he was younger, before the trainers told him to stop dunking for injury reasons, I am thinking like age 25 and below, something like that, he had some huge dunks. At one of those youth tournaments, he was dunking all over 7 foot guys in the lane. He had an actually extremely impressive vertical, even for the NBA.

Even as an old player, way past 30, he could hang in the air and still get his shot off, and his elevation on his jump shot was the best in Europe. He had the by far, and I mean not even close was the next player, highest elevation on his jump shot of any player in Europe. Even at like 35 he had the highest elevation on his jumper in Europe. I mean come on. If you are going to rate players based on scouting their physical traits, you at least have to be right about it. Spanoulis was a very explosive athlete and you sound like you never saw him play once in your life.

Sure, some great or very good EuroLeague point guards that went to the NBA were not very athletic, like Jasikevicius, Teodosic, or Huertas, guys like that. But Spanoulis was extremely athletic. Blowing by Team USA guards and wings left and right, not one of them could stay in front of him on defense. He would just blow past them like child's play. And he was incredibly quick and fast with the ball, could go half the court in a couple seconds or less. He also had a tremendous motor, stamina, and endurance. Probably the most of any player in Europe in all three categories. I remember Carrol saying Spanoulis was the most conditioned athlete he ever saw in Europe. And I forget which center it was, it might have been Batiste (not sure), but they said he was stronger than the centers on the team were and out lifted everyone in the weight room. If anything, Spanoulis was 10 times more suited for the NBA from an athletic side, than he was for the EuroLeague.

And what in the world do you mean by he lacked shot making ability and personality? Every year they did that survey in Europe the coaches said he was the best shooter in Europe (Navarro always came in second) and they always said he had the biggest personality in Europe (Diamantidis usually came in second).

But seriously though, you are completely and totally incapable of being able to properly judge anyone's athleticism if you think Spanoulis wasn't athletic. The NBA scouting reports from the youth tournaments and rookie camps said he was an absolute freak level athlete. If Spanoulis wasn't athletic, then someone like say Chris Paul for example, would be the worst athlete to ever touch a basketball, by comparison.

Spanoulis is a bitch who couldn’t play in the nba though and cried about his mommy unlike other players. I mean I get it that you have this circle jerk alter for him but he sucked in the NBA.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,607

Post#1634 » by Mrakar » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:24 pm

So proud of our guys. Noone was expecting a medal and we got a silver, it is amazing achievment without so many players.
Im just sad that we lost the game the way we did.
Dobric injury ment that Guduric has to play and he was terrible as expected. That stretch at the end. Missed wide open corner 3, missed layup, lost couple balls just awfull. And also Zebras 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter was (Please Use More Appropriate Word)... That was probably revenge for 2002 and that lucky no call at end of regulation.

Avramovic was great. That is how every player should play for their country. So much heart and BIG BALLS!!!

I'm actually glad some of our best didnt play, now we see that heart is almost as important as skills.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#1635 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Spanoulis is a bitch who couldn’t play in the nba though and cried about his mommy unlike other players. I mean I get it that you have this circle jerk alter for him but he sucked in the NBA.

Man didn't you read, Spanoulis had 40 inch vertical, elevation on his jump shot was the best in Europe, was a very explosive athlete but only thing he was missing to succeed in the NBA were balls.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1636 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:33 pm

Got to love this poster, I knew he will bring legendary recorded vertical. Recorded vertical means nothing, its how athletic you play on the court. Lots of Humans can record high vertical when they focus and do a jump drill, but they wont use it in fatigue draining game. Some people can reach near their max vertical leap in routine plays and to others it takes too much energy and concentration, so they never do.

Ben McLemore and Shane Larkin had 42 and 44 vertical jumps at mock draft, so what, they are stiffs who only dunks in an open court, they cant shake off anyone. Look how many ankles SGA broke in this tournament alone, regular EL guy like Spanoulis, he simply didnt have that ability, he never did that in his life, that changing super speed, lateral quickness, stop on the dime moves, Spanoulis never could create space on such level, and being 6'4 guy, his shot will always be contested otherwise. TO be a star, you need to be able to create your own shot! You simply do understand the level difference between NBA stars and European stars, the speed, the athleticism is just on another level. We had MLS fans who said Donovan is better than 95% of Premier league guys, you doing same thing, you are simply clueless.

Are you a comedian, what does it matter he recorded high vertical if he refuses to dunk lol, guy has always been below the rim guy who would be block magnet in the NBA, plain and simple. He had very good handle at Euroleague level, so they were unable to trap him, he was very smart at that level, so he was the right guy to have the ball and opperate offense, and he was super clutch, hense he build great legacy at the level he played.

Recently you also posted how Papagiannis had 40+ vertical jump. ANother great proof that you either lying or that it means nothing, 7'2 guy with 40 inch vertical, and guess what, he is a complete stiff who barely ever dunks...

Talent doesnt translate linearly. Just because guy was better in one level, does not mean he will be better at another level. Luka Garza was much better college player than ANthony Davis, but you do not take Garza before Davis, thats why scouting exist. Yes, SOME worse Euroleague players than Spanoulis became NBA material players, but to begin with, they all were role guys, and they all had role guy abilities. Like Kleber, Ingles, Theis. Firstly, they all played defense and they knew how to be role guys to begin with. Spanoulis was ''T-Mac'' in Coby Whites body, yes, he was smart enough to probably find his NBA role, but he never proved that and NO ONE was actually shocked he didnt make it EXCEPT you.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,584

Post#1637 » by DaPessimist » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:34 pm

Dillon Brooks denying USA a medal is hilarious. This guy just cemented himself as the ultimate NBA heel. He should get some commercials out of this.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#1638 » by Buckets22 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:35 pm

Spanoulis should've hit the gym and shaved his hair for that Bezos look if he wanted to be taken seriously in the NBA. Period.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,057

Post#1639 » by -Luke- » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:37 pm

Mrakar wrote:So proud of our guys. Noone was expecting a medal and we got a silver, it is amazing achievment without so many players.
Im just sad that we lost the game the way we did.
Dobric injury ment that Guduric has to play and he was terrible as expected. That stretch at the end. Missed wide open corner 3, missed layup, lost couple balls just awfull. And also Zebras 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter was (Please Use More Appropriate Word)... That was probably revenge for 2002 and that lucky no call at end of regulation.

Avramovic was great. That is how every player should play for their country. So much heart and BIG BALLS!!!

I'm actually glad some of our best didnt play, now we see that heart is almost as important as skills.

There was a stretch at in the 2nd quarter where Schröder could hardly cross midcourt for four possesions in a row or so, because Avramovic was all over him. Gave everything he had. Every fan loves to see a guy like that playing for their team.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,064

Post#1640 » by LuDux1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:48 pm

Didn't read comments after final ended, so maybe that guy already adressed that issue. If not, here it goes: this defeat, for once, will give Jokic legit reason to get drunk. </green font>

Return to International Basketball