FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,057

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 part 3 SEMIS (USA vs GERMANY : SERBIA vs CANADA) poll added 

Post#41 » by -Luke- » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:27 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I don't really watch FIBA basketball like that, so does the MVP have to come from the winning team?

No, doesn't have to. For example, in 2002 Dirk Nowitzki was the MVP and Germany finished 3rd. But I think that's the only case where that happened so far.

But I think this year SGA has a good chance, even if Canada doesn't win.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 part 3 SEMIS (USA vs GERMANY : SERBIA vs CANADA) poll added 

Post#42 » by watch1958 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:29 am

makubesu wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:
-Luke- wrote:So what are we all going to do next Monday?

Debate the top 5 PGs of all time?

How about a thread where we regurgitate takes out whether Lebron or MJ was better?
We should do a poll on the title. Is it going to start:
1) Are we really going to ignore,
2) If Chips are so important…
or
3)When will people admit…?

The AI bots haven’t been using “finna” much lately, but it could make a comeback.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
CpttCanada
Junior
And1: 335

Post#43 » by CpttCanada » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:12 am

boogiezen wrote:
Ruma85 wrote:
boogiezen wrote:Dream match up for FIBA. USA vs. Canada. They will give SGA 20+ free throws against Serbia. Germany has a chance only if Dennis doesn't stinks again.

Unlikely, we do not foul like that.

You didn't watch the game against Slovenia? Every single thing, they called foul. Heck, he had 16 free throws compared to Slovenia's 19 free throws the entire game. I won't be surprised if they will do the same thing, especially it's a dream match up for FIBA.

Dude, it is time for you to go to bed. We understand that you need to have a good cry but we are getting tired of it. Slovenia sucks on defense, so they gave Canada so many free throws. Plus Luka put the team in loads of 4 v 5 situations while he was busy crying to the refs. Canada has the best defense in FIBA, it isn't shocking why there was a FT disparity. Take off your tin foil hat and relax my guy, damn.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,833

Post#44 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:58 am

I attended the two QFs last night. Awful crowd for the first match. Not even half full. Hard to get into the match under those circumstances. The Latvian fans were noisy though, which was great. The ending was exciting.

The second QF saw Slovenia v Canada. Almost completely full, with one or two seats here and there. A massive Luka following. Lots of boos for Brooks.
Evenacus
Junior
And1: 228

Post#45 » by Evenacus » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:21 am

I was unable to follow this World Cup due to my work schedule. All of the games are played during my working hours :noway: .
After watching recaps of these QF games I can only say that everything besides USA win would be a major upset. Shame that Latvia was unable to win even though Schroeder did all he could to help them. What if that last shot went to Zagars instead of Bertans :x . The one man Slovenia show ended in the only way possible but Canada don't look like they can beat USA. Lithuania was a big disappointment, props to Serbia for steamrolling them with relative ease. Seems like Lithuania got a bit complacent after beating the USA. Serbia looks solid and it is a shame that Jokic is "unscrewing the lightbulbs" in Sombor or wherever :lol: . I'll try to catch some of the final games if I can.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#46 » by -Luke- » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:34 am

Classification games for 5-8 place today. Italy vs. Latvia in ten minutes, Lithuania vs. Slovenia later.
best of luck
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#47 » by best of luck » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:35 am

Picked Germany, think a healthy Franz Wagner will surprise many.
Please visit @Domsamui on YouTube my 11 year old son needs all the love he can get from the basketball community in his fight to walk again.
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#48 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Sep 7, 2023 9:46 am

Italy got off to an excellent start, then now between 2nd and 3rd quarter Latvia is shooting from 3 like crazy.
Basketball is my religion
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#49 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:28 am

Italy was -2 with 25 seconds to go ... and of course Latvia hit a 3 ...

Final score 82-87
Basketball is my religion
Muizha
Junior
And1: 220

Post#50 » by Muizha » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:45 am

Nice game by Latvia, despite the tough schedule. Grazulis is just a beast :D 28 points on 13 shots (12/13 fg; 3/3 3p)
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,929

Post#51 » by Mavrelous » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:47 am

-Luke- wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I don't really watch FIBA basketball like that, so does the MVP have to come from the winning team?

No, doesn't have to. For example, in 2002 Dirk Nowitzki was the MVP and Germany finished 3rd. But I think that's the only case where that happened so far.

Winner of Serbia/Canada will determine MVP IMO, Bogi or SGA...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 932

Post#52 » by Pokuokic » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:55 am

Mavrelous wrote:
-Luke- wrote:

Bogi being MVP over Milutinov is a joke he's been the Serbians best player even in the Italy game they were up 17 cause of his work on the boards and bullying the Italians than he got some rough calls and the defense went to hell. Milutinov combo of controlling the glass/finishing around the rim and defense have allowed Serbia to win, Bogi had 2 good games against DR/Lithuania.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#53 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:09 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
-Luke- wrote:No, doesn't have to. For example, in 2002 Dirk Nowitzki was the MVP and Germany finished 3rd. But I think that's the only case where that happened so far.

Bogi being MVP over Milutinov is a joke he's been the Serbians best player even in the Italy game they were up 17 cause of his work on the boards and bullying the Italians than he got some rough calls and the defense went to hell. Milutinov combo of controlling the glass/finishing around the rim and defense have allowed Serbia to win, Bogi had 2 good games against DR/Lithuania.

You can also add Nikola Jovic there as an important player for the serbian team, his ability to get the team into transition off a rebound and court vision is great for such a young player. Miami Heat has a really great player there who's going to keep getting better.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,929

Post#54 » by Mavrelous » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:35 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
-Luke- wrote:No, doesn't have to. For example, in 2002 Dirk Nowitzki was the MVP and Germany finished 3rd. But I think that's the only case where that happened so far.

Scorers get the glory, almost always have, almost always will...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,963

Post#55 » by Phreak50 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:51 pm

Lithuania 33pts in the first quarter.

Slovenia clearly tired. The scheduling hasn’t been great. There really shouldn’t be back to backs for anyone.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,409

Post#56 » by Sakkreth » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:51 pm

Lithuania didn't look terrific for only 1 game in this tournament and it had to be quarterfinal heh
-Luke-
Starter

Post#57 » by -Luke- » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:32 pm

We have a game.
Sakkreth
Starter

Post#58 » by Sakkreth » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:46 pm

You can say that Doncic argue a lot, but you have to admire his desire to win. He's going all out even in this not so important game
Sakkreth
Starter

Post#59 » by Sakkreth » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:51 pm

These refs are hilariously bad. How the hell after reviewing that play, they don't change anything? They say that because elbow to the head was not intentional the no call is fine. How about at least an offensive foul? :roll:
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,026

Post#60 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:52 pm

Being able to hear the ref conversations makes some of the more boring parts of watching basketball interesting. Love hearing the coaches argue with them.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to International Basketball