Welcome Nick Smith Jr

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Re: Welcome Nick Smith Jr 

Post#181 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I would say just plant him in the Gleague the rest of the year. He has had enough time in Charlotte to experience the NBA game, he really needs to develop the rest of his game with on ball reps. We know he can catch and shoot, but he needs to round out his game to really earn mins over Mann and Curry right now.

I agree except I'd probably call him up again late in the season for 5-10 games to see if anything he's worked on with the Swarm translates at NBA level.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#182 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:54 pm

the gap between nsj and mann, curry, micic seems pretty big right now. i'm not sure i see a path for him next year, assuming we bring all these guys back - not to mention a possible guard picked in the lottery. next year - better for him to get a long run in gboro or learn by watching on bench?
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#183 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:00 pm

fatlever wrote:the gap between nsj and mann, curry, micic seems pretty big right now. i'm not sure i see a path for him next year, assuming we bring all these guys back - not to mention a possible guard picked in the lottery. next year - better for him to get a long run in gboro or learn by watching on bench?

4 years younger than Mann who just caught his first chance to start in year 3.

NSJ will do the right thing with everything he learns through his first 2-3 years.

He has a good attitude about improvement.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#184 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
fatlever wrote:the gap between nsj and mann, curry, micic seems pretty big right now. i'm not sure i see a path for him next year, assuming we bring all these guys back - not to mention a possible guard picked in the lottery. next year - better for him to get a long run in gboro or learn by watching on bench?

4 years younger than Mann who just caught his first chance to start in year 3.

NSJ will do the right thing with everything he learns through his first 2-3 years.

He has a good attitude about improvement.

maybe, but unrelated to my comment about his role on this team next year.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#185 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:29 pm

I think recency bias is a thing here. Nick is a rookie who has had some great flashes and also had some disappointing games as you would expect.

Mann and co have looked the goods but it still has only been 3 games, I think we are overreacting a bit.

I have no doubt Nick Smith Jr will be a contributing member of the rotation next year.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#186 » by fatlever » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:02 am

With our injury history... probably. But I don't see that path to climb ahead of the other guards by next year if all are back and healthy

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#187 » by Diop » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 am

pretty much nails it. If those 3 are back, he's not seeing much court time next year.

but lets see what happens in the off season.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,396

Post#188 » by JDR720 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 am

Depending on whether Mann is a fluke or if he isn't a fluke and wants too big a contract, it still makes sense to have NSJ either way.

It doesn't make much sense to spend 25+ million on backup PG's between Micic, Mann (non-fluke) and Curry.

Curry can probably be a veteran minimum guy. But that's still 20+ million without him. If Nick improves (which he's shown good potential so far) it makes sense to keep him over more expensive/older options.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,279

Post#189 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:14 pm

JDR720 wrote:Depending on whether Mann is a fluke or if he isn't a fluke and wants too big a contract, it still makes sense to have NSJ either way.

It doesn't make much sense to spend 25+ million on backup PG's between Micic, Mann (non-fluke) and Curry.

Curry can probably be a veteran minimum guy. But that's still 20+ million without him. If Nick improves (which he's shown good potential so far) it makes sense to keep him over more expensive/older options.

Curry is likely retiring in 1.5 years. We pick up his option next year and he is a good Vet, depth guy at age 34.
Mann and Micic cost 12.5 million combined as a backup guard tandem.
NSJ is great depth and will get mins during injuries and if he improves enough he takes over the Mann role if it comes down to it.

If NSJ doesn't contribute much until year 3 that is pretty normal for pick 27.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!

Return to Charlotte Hornets