2022-23 Injury Update Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,212

Re: 2022-23 Injury Update Thread 

Post#81 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 7, 2023 11:41 pm

I can't speak as much to other teams, but as for the Hornets:

We've seen guys sit out much longer than expected for injuries and return much sooner than expected. Gordon himself is a prime example of that. Remember when he sat out the final 20 some odd games his first year here? Everyone was wondering why he wasn't coming back after the initial prognosis being shorter?

Before the past year or two, a common complaint was guys getting hurt and then missing more time than expected. Hayward every year he's been here, Batum his last couple of years, Pussyfoot, etc.

It seems like recency bias and a desire to find excuses to denigrate the team have created this new narrative that the team is forcing guys to come back too early and/or play hurt. I know I've harped on this in the past, but we keep bringing it up despite Cody himself plainly stating he came back because he wanted to. Are we going to just ignore that out of a need to talk **** about the staff?

Am I really supposed to believe they bullied Gordon to come back early from his shoulder? If he was still in pain and couldn't play, what the hell was stopping him from saying "Um hey guys, I still have a lot of pain in my shoulder"?

If they're bullying Melo to play on a bum wrist, don't you think his dad would be raising all sorts of hell about it?

Why have none of the other players we've supposedly rushed back said anything about it?

I mean... all of that points to them willingly playing, right? Occam's razor and all.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#82 » by fatlever » Wed Feb 8, 2023 12:00 am

i dont think we are forcing or bullying guys (that would be really messed up).
before players can return from injury, they have to get cleared by drs for various stages - cleared to run, cleared to practice etc... that part is not up to the player. the players role is to provide feedback, what hurts and when etc... then its up to players to let coaches know when they are ready
what could be possible is drs clearing our players to return too soon. but im guessing obv

as for batum, i think we probably did clear him too soon with that torn elbow, same with mkg, and probably kemba
batum's other issues were about him being concerned about dying on court from heart issues like his dad. he opened up about this recently.

what i do know is its not just solely players deciding when they want to return
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#83 » by fatlever » Wed Feb 8, 2023 12:02 am

maybe we are no different than other teams and its all just coincidence these things happened back to back to back this year. i just dont have much faith in the competency of our org, as you know :)
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#84 » by fatlever » Wed Feb 8, 2023 12:05 am

might just be we actually do have guys trying really hard to win, and hiding stuff from drs to get on floor, when structurally from dr pov things look fine in imaging.

sad we are trying so hard to win and still suck so bad
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#85 » by SWedd523 » Wed Feb 8, 2023 1:21 am

fatlever wrote:i dont think we are forcing or bullying guys (that would be really messed up).
before players can return from injury, they have to get cleared by drs for various stages - cleared to run, cleared to practice etc... that part is not up to the player. the players role is to provide feedback, what hurts and when etc... then its up to players to let coaches know when they are ready
what could be possible is drs clearing our players to return too soon. but im guessing obv

as for batum, i think we probably did clear him too soon with that torn elbow, same with mkg, and probably kemba
batum's other issues were about him being concerned about dying on court from heart issues like his dad. he opened up about this recently.

what i do know is its not just solely players deciding when they want to return

Being cleared depends mostly upon the athlete. After all, as you stated, they're the ones responsible for providing positive or negative feedback.

The docs aren't doing a full x-ray, MRI, CAT, PET, EKG, blood, etc workup after each game. It's initiated by a player saying X is a problem.

They do their scans, checks, what-have-yous. If those come back clean, they say he looks fine to return because... duh. That's what their information is saying. If the player doesn't say "Nah, something is still wrong" then what do you expect them to say? Are they mind readers?

For example. In my line of work, we have a medical staff that is comparable to many of the professional sports teams. In fact, most of our folks have spent time working for major college teams or pro teams. I have gone to see them after various work related injuries and they do their due diligence to correct the issue through medical intervention, physical therapy, and so on. However, there have been (more than) a few times where I have lied about or downplayed injuries or pain because I didn't want to miss a trip, some training, or whatever else.

Is there some pressure to play through pain by coaches or others in the FO? I don't know, maybe? probably?

Do I think the medical staff is incompetent or malicious in their diagnoses or the clearing of guys to play? Probably not. After all, that's their job. If potential employers think they're bad doctors then they're shooting themselves in the foot in regards to future employment.

Yes that was an intentional pun.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,717

Post#86 » by yosemiteben » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:52 am

Read on Twitter

Um not sure I'd say the most disappointing thing about the season is Cody staying hurt but whatevs
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#87 » by Diop » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:30 am

fatlever wrote:might just be we actually do have guys trying really hard to win, and hiding stuff from drs to get on floor, when structurally from dr pov things look fine in imaging.

sad we are trying so hard to win and still suck so bad

reminded me of Cedric Ceballos with Dallas. He broke his wrist during a game towards the end of the season, knew it was a season ending injury but he kept playing. It wasn't until he got free throws when Don realised Cedrics wrist was stuffed and subbed him out
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,122

Post#88 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:32 am

Cody is turning into Lonzo Ball knee vibes. Sit him the rest of the year.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,717

Post#89 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:34 pm

Bump

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#90 » by SWedd523 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:45 pm

change the name from Charlotte Hornets to Charlotte Injury Bugs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#91 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:49 pm

crazy the pr team can give updates on these two. but absolute crickets from pr team on melo and mark, two of the three (or four) most important guys on the roster
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#92 » by HornetJail » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:26 pm

fatlever wrote:crazy the pr team can give updates on these two. but absolute crickets from pr team on melo and mark, two of the three (or four) most important guys on the roster

(or two)
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,398

Post#93 » by JDR720 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:29 pm

Or one. Since Mark isn't a player, but a blob on the floor.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#94 » by Rich4114 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:31 pm

fatlever wrote:crazy the pr team can give updates on these two. but absolute crickets from pr team on melo and mark, two of the three (or four) most important guys on the roster

They do give updates and then just never follow up on them. Like when they said Mark would be re-evaluated in a few weeks 6 weeks ago. I'm sure he was re-evaluated, they just didn't deem it necessary to provide any kind of update to the fans. Same with LaMelo. They obviously misled us after he came back a few games. Went from "questionable - ankle soreness" to just out for another month and a half. Just tell us what is really going on, we promise we won't hold it against you. What we do hold against you is withholding information about our star players making us guess and speculate wildly around when we might see them again.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,398

Post#95 » by JDR720 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:05 am

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets