?t=1PZsvm3LendyX0KVAwJufw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,700

Re: A New Day in Charlotte 

Post#162 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

"Players, doctors, trainers, executives, coaches all need to be on the same parallel because, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, that hasn’t been the case for the Hornets. Especially this past season. So, they have to determine what the issue is and fix it for the betterment of everyone involved."

From Boone in observer

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article287879385.html

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,553

Post#163 » by Bassman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm

fatlever wrote:"Players, doctors, trainers, executives, coaches all need to be on the same parallel because, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, that hasn’t been the case for the Hornets. Especially this past season. So, they have to determine what the issue is and fix it for the betterment of everyone involved."

From Boone in observer

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article287879385.html

Hard to know where the problems are without someone (new ownership maybe) directly laying it out there. MY guess is a combination of things; Mitch unwilling to be truthful in some cases which put the player in a bad light (example: Hayward’s shoulder being “bruised” when Gordon’s wife got ticked and publicly said he had a broken clavicle); questions about Melo being seemingly healthy via shooting in warmups but staying out (Cliff trying to use double speak to cover…so was he really still hurt or just being cautious?); the multiple injuries named as contusions which seemed to keep people out for huge long periods of time (is this bad training staff, or bad team doctor guidance, or…what?). What we KNOW is that players were out a lot, and seemed to take forever to get back into game activation. We also know that once some invalids got activated, other took their place on the injury list. Sometimes they just swapped spots.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#164 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 pm

I think a lot of it also is that MJ just did not prioritize spending money whatsoever on player health, medical staff, recovery staff etc. It was a bare-bones operations.

From listening to that Terrence Oglesby interview and other things we pieced together, I do get the feeling that there was some frustration with the organization that melo wasn't playing, and it was his decision, not that the team was holding him out. But that's really just me reading between the lines on some things that's been said.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#165 » by fatlever » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:38 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/hornets-appoint-patrick-harrel-as-vice-president-of-basketball-insights-and-analysis

Hiring actual qualified people to help run the organization. What an interesting concept.

vorbis
Veteran
And1: 678

Post#166 » by vorbis » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:00 pm

two people recently mentioned have declined offers to join the Hornets front office. I don't think that's an indictment or anything, these things happen.

but still notable that their names were floated to the degree that they were (no mention of a panel of interviewees, just one name mentioned in each case) and the Hornets didn't land them.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,536

Post#167 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 pm

Outside of Boston and maybe the Knicks the East is weak. If we could just get our **** together and LaMelo matures a bit we have a great chance to achieve some sustainable success. The opportunity is there, Schnall and Plotkin just need to spend the money required to hire the best people they can get up and down the organization.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Post#168 » by Rich4114 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 pm

fatlever wrote:I think a lot of it also is that MJ just did not prioritize spending money whatsoever on player health, medical staff, recovery staff etc. It was a bare-bones operations.

From listening to that Terrence Oglesby interview and other things we pieced together, I do get the feeling that there was some frustration with the organization that melo wasn't playing, and it was his decision, not that the team was holding him out. But that's really just me reading between the lines on some things that's been said.

I think this has been confirmed by multiple sources and you can piece it together based off multiple reports on a variety of topics like medical staff and reporting, assistant coach cheapness, the way summer league is run, etc. The reason we haven't made and won in the playoffs is because we've been poorly run by an owner who knows how to win on the court but not in the front office where it's VERY VERY VERY different. The new guys seem like they're building a modern infrastructure and staff finally.

They keep using the term "premier organization" and they're saying this to a highly (rightfully so) skeptical fanbase who is tired of watching everyone else rebuild and achieve playoff success (sometimes multiple times) while we bounce between treadmill and dog ****. This is their chance to earn trust and build confidence.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#169 » by fatlever » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:12 pm

vorbis wrote:two people recently mentioned have declined offers to join the Hornets front office. I don't think that's an indictment or anything, these things happen.

but still notable that their names were floated to the degree that they were (no mention of a panel of interviewees, just one name mentioned in each case) and the Hornets didn't land them.

who were the two?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,697

Post#170 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 pm

fatlever wrote:
vorbis wrote:two people recently mentioned have declined offers to join the Hornets front office. I don't think that's an indictment or anything, these things happen.

who were the two?

That Minnesota front office guy allegedly turned down our GM role. Not aware of anyone else.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,260

Post#171 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
fatlever wrote:

who were the two?

That Minnesota front office guy allegedly turned down our GM role. Not aware of anyone else.

Brock Aller
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 678

Post#172 » by vorbis » Wed May 1, 2024 3:43 am

yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. it was the two people mentioned in the article fats posted. Aller and Lloyd.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,697

Post#173 » by yosemiteben » Yesterday 3:21 pm

Read on Twitter

https://www.nba.com/hornets/news/hornets-sports-entertainment-names-shelly-cayette-weston-president-of-business-operations

Spoiler:
Hornets Sports & Entertainment Co-Chairmen Rick Schnall and Gabe Plotkin announced today the hiring of Shelly Cayette-Weston as the organization’s President of Business Operations. In this role, Cayette-Weston will oversee the day-to-day business operations for all of HSE’s properties, including the Charlotte Hornets, Greensboro Swarm, Hornets Venom GT and Spectrum Center. Cayette-Weston, who will join the organization on July 1, comes to Charlotte after spending 12 years with the Cleveland Cavaliers, including the last two as Executive Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer.

“We are pleased to welcome Shelly to Hornets Sports & Entertainment,” said Schnall and Plotkin. “As we’ve gotten to know Shelly, we have been struck by her leadership skills, her experience and her ability to build relationships with key constituencies such as corporate partners, ticket holders and community members. She lives our values and believes in the vision we have for the future of HSE.”

Cayette-Weston initially joined the Cavaliers’ partnership marketing department in 2012 before rising to Vice President of Global Partnerships and Senior Vice President of Global Partnerships, where she oversaw all aspects of growth, new business development, innovation and retention of corporate partners, as well as ticket sales and services, for the Cavaliers, Lake Erie Monsters (AHL), Cleveland Charge (NBA G League) and Cavs Legion GC (NBA 2K League). Cayette-Weston spent the first five years of her NBA career with the New Orleans Hornets where she worked in marketing, community investments and corporate partnerships. Before joining the NBA, she began her sports and entertainment career at Caesar’s Entertainment in marketing and advertising.

“I’m incredibly excited to join Hornets Sports & Entertainment and become a part of the Charlotte community. I am appreciative of my last 12 years with the Cavaliers and thankful to ownership, the leadership team and all the many team members that supported me over the years,” said Cayette-Weston. “This is a compelling time for HSE, with Rick and Gabe’s passion, vision and commitment, in addition to the transformative arena renovations and the new basketball leadership of Jeff Peterson and Charles Lee. I look forward to building upon the energy and growth of our team on the court and the impact of the reimagined Spectrum Center, all of which will strengthen the experience of our fans, partners and community throughout the Carolinas. Charlotte is an amazing city with great people, tremendous growth and endless opportunities, and I cannot wait to get started.”

Under Cayette-Weston’s leadership, the Cavaliers became one of the top performing revenue franchises in the NBA during the last 10 years. She oversaw core initiatives, including securing jersey patch partners, arena renovations, international business strategy and the growth of Cleveland’s youth sports outreach, all of which created a positive impact on the business, stakeholders and the community.

A graduate of Tulane University, where she was a member of the women’s basketball team, Cayette-Weston was named to Crain’s Cleveland Business Forty Under 40 in 2019 and Sports Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 in 2021. A native of New Orleans, Louisiana, Shelly and her husband, Aron, have two daughters, Ivy Grace and Averie Marie.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,223

Post#174 » by JMAC3 » Yesterday 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,199

Post#175 » by SWedd523 » Yesterday 4:24 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.nba.com/hornets/news/hornets-sports-entertainment-names-shelly-cayette-weston-president-of-business-operations

Hornets Sports & Entertainment Co-Chairmen Rick Schnall and Gabe Plotkin announced today the hiring of Shelly Cayette-Weston as the organization’s President of Business Operations. In this role, Cayette-Weston will oversee the day-to-day business operations for all of HSE’s properties, including the Charlotte Hornets, Greensboro Swarm, Hornets Venom GT and Spectrum Center. Cayette-Weston, who will join the organization on July 1, comes to Charlotte after spending 12 years with the Cleveland Cavaliers, including the last two as Executive Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer.

“We are pleased to welcome Shelly to Hornets Sports & Entertainment,” said Schnall and Plotkin. “As we’ve gotten to know Shelly, we have been struck by her leadership skills, her experience and her ability to build relationships with key constituencies such as corporate partners, ticket holders and community members. She lives our values and believes in the vision we have for the future of HSE.”

Cayette-Weston initially joined the Cavaliers’ partnership marketing department in 2012 before rising to Vice President of Global Partnerships and Senior Vice President of Global Partnerships, where she oversaw all aspects of growth, new business development, innovation and retention of corporate partners, as well as ticket sales and services, for the Cavaliers, Lake Erie Monsters (AHL), Cleveland Charge (NBA G League) and Cavs Legion GC (NBA 2K League). Cayette-Weston spent the first five years of her NBA career with the New Orleans Hornets where she worked in marketing, community investments and corporate partnerships. Before joining the NBA, she began her sports and entertainment career at Caesar’s Entertainment in marketing and advertising.

“I’m incredibly excited to join Hornets Sports & Entertainment and become a part of the Charlotte community. I am appreciative of my last 12 years with the Cavaliers and thankful to ownership, the leadership team and all the many team members that supported me over the years,” said Cayette-Weston. “This is a compelling time for HSE, with Rick and Gabe’s passion, vision and commitment, in addition to the transformative arena renovations and the new basketball leadership of Jeff Peterson and Charles Lee. I look forward to building upon the energy and growth of our team on the court and the impact of the reimagined Spectrum Center, all of which will strengthen the experience of our fans, partners and community throughout the Carolinas. Charlotte is an amazing city with great people, tremendous growth and endless opportunities, and I cannot wait to get started.”

Under Cayette-Weston’s leadership, the Cavaliers became one of the top performing revenue franchises in the NBA during the last 10 years. She oversaw core initiatives, including securing jersey patch partners, arena renovations, international business strategy and the growth of Cleveland’s youth sports outreach, all of which created a positive impact on the business, stakeholders and the community.

A graduate of Tulane University, where she was a member of the women’s basketball team, Cayette-Weston was named to Crain’s Cleveland Business Forty Under 40 in 2019 and Sports Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 in 2021. A native of New Orleans, Louisiana, Shelly and her husband, Aron, have two daughters, Ivy Grace and Averie Marie.

I wonder how much input she'll have into the ops side of things
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,536

Post#176 » by LofJ » Yesterday 4:34 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wonder how much input she'll have into the ops side of things

Zero probably, pretty sure it's the same role that Fred Whitfield had. He was in charge of the business side of the organization.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,528

Post#177 » by EmpireFalls » Yesterday 4:36 pm

What’s her true shooting percentage and VORP?
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#178 » by Chapelchilla » Yesterday 5:44 pm

Yeah, she is new Fred

Return to Charlotte Hornets