Fake Trade Thread #6

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,368

Re: Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#261 » by JDR720 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:46 am

If this draft is supposedly historically bad, why is trading it for Advija so awful?

He averaged 17/9/4 on solid %'s after the all-star break.

How many players in this draft project to ever average those stats?

The main argument against it is the draft pick will be on a rookie contract a while, while Advija is about to be paid.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#262 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun May 5, 2024 5:48 am

JDR720 wrote:If this draft is supposedly historically bad, why is trading it for Advija so awful?

He averaged 17/9/4 on solid %'s after the all-star break.

How many players in this draft project to ever average those stats?

You can reply to me it's okay.

Do you know this draft is bad? No, you don't. You don't trade a top 5 pick for someone who has been pretty bad on a God awful team his entire career except for some post all star break stats.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#263 » by amcoolio » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 am

That was just my list of what I would want. The team isn't going to trade the pick anyway. They use picks like these to sell us on hopes and dreams. There's a very, very small chance this pick we make is even a rotation player for us next season. The only players in the top 8 that would get minutes for us next year are ZR, Topic, Clingan and Sheppard, none of which would start, more than likely just 12-15 minutes off the bench unless injury. Sarr or Holland maybe would play a few minutes in the Thor role. Every other player... Castle, Dillingham, on down - would instantly spend the entire season in Greensboro. It's tough to sell a fanbase that when we are supposedly trying to win and LaMelo is starting his max contract
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,203

Post#264 » by SWedd523 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:02 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JDR720 wrote:I'd think about it for Avdija though. He's a solid all-around player and we could always use more of those.

I just can't. I really can't.

Let's just keep doing what we've been doing instead. It's been working so well we might just win a playoff game by 2034.
bravor
Starter
And1: 744

Post#265 » by bravor » Sun May 5, 2024 4:34 pm

Its ok. Lets get ready for next Bouknight or kai Jones (or Thor etc.) it's good asset management.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,700

Post#266 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 5, 2024 4:37 pm

Seems like you all are generically attacking the idea of not wanting a trade at all.

Do you both really want to trade a top 5 pick in this draft for Avdija?
bravor
Starter
And1: 744

Post#267 » by bravor » Sun May 5, 2024 4:59 pm

Not necessary Advija, but i am certainly not overestimating top picks in next draft. Even if there will be some good find. But it's probably a major gamble at this point.
I like sure things, especially when you consider that the roster has significantly improved already. Acting like 2024 is 2025 or even 2026 draft is ridiculous.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,247

Post#268 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:31 am

amcoolio wrote:That was just my list of what I would want. The team isn't going to trade the pick anyway. They use picks like these to sell us on hopes and dreams. There's a very, very small chance this pick we make is even a rotation player for us next season. The only players in the top 8 that would get minutes for us next year are ZR, Topic, Clingan and Sheppard, none of which would start, more than likely just 12-15 minutes off the bench unless injury. Sarr or Holland maybe would play a few minutes in the Thor role. Every other player... Castle, Dillingham, on down - would instantly spend the entire season in Greensboro. It's tough to sell a fanbase that when we are supposedly trying to win and LaMelo is starting his max contract

I remember when people thought Brandon Miller would start the year in the Gleague and wasn't going to be a starter...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#269 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:50 pm

I'd trade our pick this year for Avdija, he's a solid player that does a lot of little things we lack including offer solid D. But Washington won't trade him, they just signed him to an extension and he's probably the one valuable thing they have on that roster.

I'd love to see us package our pick and other assets for a player like Mikal Bridges, but it seems the Nets are hell bent on being a treadmill team.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,529

Post#270 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 5:38 pm

PG wants a max. Will likely test FA.

Any chance Miller can convince him to come to Charlotte?

We can offer the Clippers a younger Miles Bridges in a sign n trade. PG could make us a playoff team in a much weaker East. He's also a good vet we desperately need.

Also happens to be my favorite player this would be a fantasy dream for me which is why it likely will never happen.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#271 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:22 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:PG wants a max. Will likely test FA.

Any chance Miller can convince him to come to Charlotte?

We can offer the Clippers a younger Miles Bridges in a sign n trade. PG could make us a playoff team in a much weaker East. He's also a good vet we desperately need.

Also happens to be my favorite player this would be a fantasy dream for me which is why it likely will never happen.

PG is turning down any extensions from the Clippers under the MAX. That is 50 million, we have roughly 30 total and that includes trying to leverage Miles in a SnT. Unless he wants to take a massive paycut to play for the Hornets I just don't see this as a realistic target.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#272 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:28 pm

Adding Deni Avdija to this team does what exactly? Are we the 7 seed in 2 years because of it?

Legit I might consider trading the 10th pick for him, but top 5 is just such a bad play. Should we also trade the #1 pick for Alex Caruso?

We have zero top 25 players and you guys want to trade a top 3 pick for role players? Gross
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#273 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:19 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Adding Deni Avdija to this team does what exactly? Are we the 7 seed in 2 years because of it?

Legit I might consider trading the 10th pick for him, but top 5 is just such a bad play. Should we also trade the #1 pick for Alex Caruso?

We have zero top 25 players and you guys want to trade a top 3 pick for role players? Gross

I think the problem is most people don't see a top 25 player in this draft, just a lot of potential busts. It doesn't mean I support lighting our lottery pick on fire, just thinking of ways to maximize it for what we need the most which is talent, leadership, defense and more connector types. There aren't a lot of prospects in this lottery who many can picture being better than Deni tbh. But it's a moot point, neither team would do it. And it's risky in the sense that if the prospect does pan out to be a stud, we punted on him for Deni Avdija.

What I'd rather see is leveraging this pick plus a bigger package for someone you can't really turn around and have buyers remorse on for a team looking to rebuild and re-stock assets.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#274 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:06 pm

I would trade Deni for a top 3 pick 100 times out of 100 if I was the Wizards.

They need more top end guys.

He is no better than Patrick Williams, Miles Bridges, Jerami Grant... clearly all those teams are moving those guys for the #1 pick.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#275 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:06 pm

I legit don't know if Deni is a better player than PJ Washington.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#276 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:09 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I legit don't know if Deni is a better player than PJ Washington.

I'm pretty sure he is. Again, I'm not saying we should do this if it were on the table, but I would if we had like pick 5. If you're asking me to pick between Deni Avidja and like Cody Williams or Rob Dillingham then this becomes a legit consideration no?
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#277 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:23 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I legit don't know if Deni is a better player than PJ Washington.

I'm pretty sure he is. Again, I'm not saying we should do this if it were on the table, but I would if we had like pick 5. If you're asking me to pick between Deni Avidja and like Cody Williams or Rob Dillingham then this becomes a legit consideration no?

Deni averaged 9 ppg in year 3. Last year he made a slight jump on a team that had traded away their two best players in Beal/KP. He also shot 6% from 3 in year 4 then his career average. He is a solid player, but you are paying for his career year in this trade and bringing him into a situation where he will be at best the 4th best player. He averaged sub 15 ppg.

Marvin Bagley got traded to Wash and was casually throwing up 20/10 games.

I think 6-7 out of the top 10 will be better players in year 3 then what Deni was in year 3 of his career. So yeah Deni in his 5th season is probably better than what the rookie picked at 5 will be this year, but that is really short sighted for a very small short sighted victory.
Big Board
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#278 » by amcoolio » Mon May 6, 2024 11:15 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:That was just my list of what I would want. The team isn't going to trade the pick anyway. They use picks like these to sell us on hopes and dreams. There's a very, very small chance this pick we make is even a rotation player for us next season. The only players in the top 8 that would get minutes for us next year are ZR, Topic, Clingan and Sheppard, none of which would start, more than likely just 12-15 minutes off the bench unless injury. Sarr or Holland maybe would play a few minutes in the Thor role. Every other player... Castle, Dillingham, on down - would instantly spend the entire season in Greensboro. It's tough to sell a fanbase that when we are supposedly trying to win and LaMelo is starting his max contract

I remember when people thought Brandon Miller would start the year in the Gleague and wasn't going to be a starter...

Comeon man, last draft is way ahead of this draft. Miller, Scoot, Amen, Ausar, and Black would all be the #1 pick in this draft. You didn't have anyone saying last draft was bad.

This draft has some intriguing high end potential, but the potential of each pick panning out is very low. It's basically gambling. I say 2 out of the 8 end up better than Deni year 3, and we have no idea which 2 of those are. 2014 draft is a good comp. Much, much more likely that Holland is a Ben McLemore level NBA player than a Mikal Bridges level, for example
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#279 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:44 pm

amcoolio wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Comeon man, last draft is way ahead of this draft. Miller, Scoot, Amen, Asaur, and Black would all be the #1 pick in this draft. You didn't have anyone saying last draft was bad.

This draft has some intriguing high end potential, but the potential of each pick panning out is very low. It's basically gambling. I say 2 out of the 8 end up better than Deni year 3, and we have no idea which 2 of those are. 2014 draft is a good comp. Much, much more likely that Holland is a Ben McLemore level NBA player than a Mikal Bridges level, for example

I mean I can pull up the conversations of people saying Miller was going to average 7 ppg, would spend half the year in the Gleague, how if we had Kelly Oubre Miller wouldn't play at all... so yeah I think in general our fan base still doesn't understand the difference between picking in the top 3 vs picking 9-12. If we pick inside the top 5 whoever we get will play a good bit as a rookie.

Feel like there is some assumption that this year draft is like picking 10-15 it is so bad... when in reality I think it is pretty much the same as most once you reach the 3rd or 4th pick. There is just no Wemby, Zion, Cade etc... but still going to be allstars, starters found in the lottery at probably close to the same rate.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#280 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:15 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Comeon man, last draft is way ahead of this draft. Miller, Scoot, Amen, Asaur, and Black would all be the #1 pick in this draft. You didn't have anyone saying last draft was bad.

I mean I can pull up the conversations of people saying Miller was going to average 7 ppg, would spend half the year in the Gleague, how if we had Kelly Oubre Miller wouldn't play at all... so yeah I think in general our fan base still doesn't understand the difference between picking in the top 3 vs picking 9-12. If we pick inside the top 5 whoever we get will play a good bit as a rookie.

Feel like there is some assumption that this year draft is like picking 10-15 it is so bad... when in reality I think it is pretty much the same as most once you reach the 3rd or 4th pick. There is just no Wemby, Zion, Cade etc... but still going to be allstars, starters found in the lottery at probably close to the same rate.

I think what this debate comes down to is known commodity vs potential. And I also think the issue with this draft is it's being called a historically bad draft, so the chances of hitting on potential in THIS draft is pretty low. But I get it, hard to sell anyone on a chance at a hit in exchange for a solid role player/starter.

But if you are playing the odds, if you combine this teams track record of choosing the right prospect + the reputation this draft class has... the odds of landing a difference maker are pretty low - historically speaking.

Return to Charlotte Hornets