Welcome to Charlotte Charles Lee

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Re: Welcome to Charlotte Charles Lee 

Post#81 » by LofJ » Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:One thing that connects all the big hires this off-season aside from Atlanta experience… they’re all young, former players, and black, from Peterson on down.

Now obviously I’m sure all were hired on merit first, but I think it’s smart that we have a new crop of guys who can really relate to our young roster and connect with them as role models of sorts.

I always felt like the lifelessness on court and issues like Jones and Bouknight’s was in part due to the fact that the leadership never fully connected with the players. Cliff, Triano, and Kupchak were these 60s+ white guys from an old school world. I’m not saying they didn’t connect with the players but it’s just a different relationship and dynamic. It’s clear the team quit on Cliff regularly in games. Hopefully Lee and Skeeter can bridge the gap and bring the best out of our guys.

Lol Bouknight and Jones were just guys with no tools nor maturity to succeed in the NBA. They would have failed under any coach.

Bouknight definitely, but I think Kai would have carved out a role and succeeded in a strong organization like the Heat.

Pat Riley would have told him after his first summer league that his ass would be gone before the season was over if he didn't stop playing like a delusional dumbass thinking he was Giannis or something.

I think that's been an issue for pretty much forever with this organization. We don't have someone that can bring players back to the real world. Clifford tried, but he doesn't have the oh **** I better get my ass in line commanding presence that someone like Riley has.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#82 » by Diop » Sat May 11, 2024 2:08 am

Kai is at his third organization now isn’t he ?

Still looking for the right shade to relate to??
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#83 » by wilson115 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Top assistant hired from Utah:

Read on Twitter

Everything I could find about him says he's mainly worked on player development for the Jazz. Utah's earned a rep for turning other teams' cast-offs into NBA rotation players, if he gets guys like Nick Richards to play honest defense or turns NSJ into more than just a chucker shooter it'll be money well spent.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/royce-oneale-is-the-latest-midcareer-player-to-break-out-for-the-jazz/
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#84 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 am

LofJ wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:One thing that connects all the big hires this off-season aside from Atlanta experience… they’re all young, former players, and black, from Peterson on down.

Now obviously I’m sure all were hired on merit first, but I think it’s smart that we have a new crop of guys who can really relate to our young roster and connect with them as role models of sorts.

I always felt like the lifelessness on court and issues like Jones and Bouknight’s was in part due to the fact that the leadership never fully connected with the players. Cliff, Triano, and Kupchak were these 60s+ white guys from an old school world. I’m not saying they didn’t connect with the players but it’s just a different relationship and dynamic. It’s clear the team quit on Cliff regularly in games. Hopefully Lee and Skeeter can bridge the gap and bring the best out of our guys.

Lol Bouknight and Jones were just guys with no tools nor maturity to succeed in the NBA. They would have failed under any coach.

Bouknight definitely, but I think Kai would have carved out a role and succeeded in a strong organization like the Heat.

Pat Riley would have told him after his first summer league that his ass would be gone before the season was over if he didn't stop playing like a delusional dumbass thinking he was Giannis or something.

I think that's been an issue for pretty much forever with this organization. We don't have someone that can bring players back to the real world. Clifford tried, but he doesn't have the oh **** I better get my ass in line commanding presence that someone like Riley has.

I think we've seen enough on and off the court to conclude there is very little between Kai Jones' ears. Tall and jump high isn't quite enough to make it in the NBA.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#85 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 am

I think this was a very good hire, all in all Lee was one of my favorites throughout the process.
- I still think Redick will be a very good coach someday
- Lee interview was hot trash lol, dude sounded like Full House Bob Saget rip
- I am bit worried we continue to just go back to the Atlanta well, it's not like that organization has done much.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#86 » by JDR720 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Lee got another assistant... and another former Hawk's coach.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,328

Post#87 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm

Who wouldn’t feel more comfortable with Skeeter and Longstaff standing behind them
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 887

Post#88 » by Chapelchilla » Mon May 13, 2024 5:42 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Who wouldn’t feel more comfortable with Skeeter and Longstaff standing behind them

As long as they aren’t TOO close….
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#89 » by HornetJail » Mon May 13, 2024 5:45 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Who wouldn’t feel more comfortable with Skeeter and Longstaff standing behind them

penis
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 423

Post#90 » by Rays Pompadour » Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 pm

Ok, don't know much about Lee other than where he's been and where he falls from the coaching tree. What, exactly, is his "style"? What kind of culture should we expect from this first-time head coach? Will the Hornets need a few offseasons to bring in Lee's kind of guys, or is he skilled enough to work with that he's got?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#91 » by JDR720 » Yesterday 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Add another former Hawks coach to the staff.

Return to Charlotte Hornets