ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread #6

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,561

Re: Fake Trade Thread #6 

Post#301 » by Bassman » Wed May 15, 2024 12:05 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Hornets remove protections on 2024 lottery protected pick owed Spurs (pick 6) + Bertans (only 5 million guaranteed) plus Micic (mentor to fellow Serbian Nikola Topic selected 4) for Keldon Johnson + pick 8 (Spurs via Raptors).

Spurs walk away with Topic (4) and Castle (6).

Hornets walk away with Keldon Johnson + 8 and regain control of all future 1st round picks, positioning them to shop at the deadline 6 first round picks (4 Hornets, 1 Heat, 1 Mavs) if Charlotte is in the playoff hunt.

Who do you take 8 if:

1- Sarr
2 - Risacher
3 - Clingan
4 - Topic
5 - Buzelis
6 - Castle
7 - Holland

Would you trade pick 6 to slide back 2 slots, free up all future picks and add Keldon Johnson to the roster?

First, getting Johnson means you’ve committed to him as a starter and to the remainder of his contract extension, averaging $20M over the next 2 seasons. He’s an undersized SF at 6-5, good but not great shooting, a good player, but not the ideal guy IMO to put into this starting group. Dropping 2 spots to 8 to gain control over all picks sounds great. We could grab Knecht there or take a shot at one of Sheppard, Williams, or go wild and get the next best big man available.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,401

Post#302 » by MasterIchiro » Wed May 15, 2024 12:16 am

Bassman wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Hornets remove protections on 2024 lottery protected pick owed Spurs (pick 6) + Bertans (only 5 million guaranteed) plus Micic (mentor to fellow Serbian Nikola Topic selected 4) for Keldon Johnson + pick 8 (Spurs via Raptors).

Hornets walk away with Keldon Johnson + 8 and regain control of all future 1st round picks, positioning them to shop at the deadline 6 first round picks (4 Hornets, 1 Heat, 1 Mavs) if Charlotte is in the playoff hunt.

Who do you take 8 if:

1- Sarr
2 - Risacher
3 - Clingan
4 - Topic
5 - Buzelis
6 - Castle
7 - Holland

Would you trade pick 6 to slide back 2 slots, free up all future picks and add Keldon Johnson to the roster?

First, getting Johnson means you’ve committed to him as a starter and to the remainder of his contract extension, averaging $20M over the next 2 seasons. He’s an undersized SF at 6-5, good but not great shooting, a good player, but not the ideal guy IMO to put into this starting group. Dropping 2 spots to 8 to gain control over all picks sounds great. We could grab Knecht there or take a shot at one of Sheppard, Williams, or go wild and get the next best big man available.

He's not ideal, but he does play a role adding physicality and rebounding. We need that.

And his contract could be used as baseline matching salary for an upgrade where we bundle him with a few smaller contracts plus draft capital. We'd have a full cupboard giving us maximum flexibility to pursue a star player. All for 2 draft slots?

In the meantime, you play Miller at the 2. It's not his natural position but Clifford says so. And Clifford is Deep State double agent. I know they unveiled his front office "advisor" role but the truth is, going back to Brooklyn, Peterson was his puppet.

Some say there's little talent separation in the whole lottery, let alone slots 6-8. But I honestly have no clue who I'd select 8. I guess I just have to wait to find out what Clifford orders the new owners to do.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#303 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 pm

Bassman wrote:

Who do you take 8 if:

1- Sarr
2 - Risacher
3 - Clingan
4 - Topic
5 - Buzelis
6 - Castle
7 - Holland

Keldon wouldn't be a bad pivot if Miles leaves in FA, but really no interest in adding him if the plan is to resign Miles.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,968

Post#304 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 am

Miller's buddy Garland might ask out if Mitchell is extended.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,275

Post#305 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Miller's buddy Garland might ask out if Mitchell is extended.

He's a Klutch client and he wants to leave a fairly successful team to stat pad and increase his usage. No thanks
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Post#306 » by LofJ » Thu May 16, 2024 12:18 pm

I think the Cavs stuff is being engineered by LeBron and his team. He isn't working to get Mitchell traded there though, he's going back to Cleveland to play with him. Garland is going to get traded to the Lakers for him.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Post#307 » by LofJ » Thu May 16, 2024 12:35 pm

I don't think we're going to be that active in the trade market this summer. Our best trade pieces are the picks we traded for at the deadline and Bertans' expiring contract. We could get a good player for that, but the options are limited.

I think the focus will be on the draft and free agency.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#308 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm

LofJ wrote:I don't think we're going to be that active in the trade market this summer. Our best trade pieces are the picks we traded for at the deadline and Bertans' expiring contract. We could get a good player for that, but the options are limited.

If we did target Capela we can help the Hawks out of the tax squeeze by sending Bertans as matching 16 million, only 5 guaranteed. 11 million saved is no small amount. We could include Nick Richards.

Hawks will fish for a 1st. No team is going to surrender one for 1 year of Capela who occupies a large amount of cap while not moving the needle at this point in his career. I can only see a team surrendering a 1st for Capela if the team is sending the Hawks bad longterm money, which defeats the purpose of moving Capela in order to escape the tax squeeze.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#309 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 16, 2024 2:40 pm

That said, hope we sign Precious Achiuwa and just bump Richards to C3. His paycheck reflects C3.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#310 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:14 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
LofJ wrote:I don't think we're going to be that active in the trade market this summer. Our best trade pieces are the picks we traded for at the deadline and Bertans' expiring contract. We could get a good player for that, but the options are limited.

If we did target Capela we can help the Hawks out of the tax squeeze by sending Bertans as matching 16 million, only 5 guaranteed. 11 million saved is no small amount. We could include Nick Richards.

Hawks will fish for a 1st. No team is going to surrender one for 1 year of Capela who occupies a large amount of cap while not moving the needle at this point in his career. I can only see a team surrendering a 1st for Capela if the team is sending the Hawks bad longterm money, which defeats the purpose of moving Capela in order to escape the tax squeeze.

Something to note here, we aren't able to trade Bertans at 16 million and then the Hawks cut him for 5mil. We can however guarantee him partially to match a salary legally.

For Instance if we wanted to acquire a guy for 15 mil, we could partially guarantee Bertans at like 11 million in order to make salaries close enough to be legal. Then acquiring team can waive Bertans and save the 5 million between 11 and 16.
Big Board
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,542

Post#311 » by GoBobs » Thu May 16, 2024 6:15 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

Something to note here, we aren't able to trade Bertans at 16 million and then the Hawks cut him for 5mil. We can however guarantee him partially to match a salary legally.

For Instance if we wanted to acquire a guy for 15 mil, we could partially guarantee Bertans at like 11 million in order to make salaries close enough to be legal. Then acquiring team can waive Bertans and save the 5 million between 11 and 16.

Why is that?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,730

Post#312 » by fatlever » Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm

okc gonna have to trade giddey this summer
i have a hard time believing that one of mann or micic wouldn't have played better than giddey in this series. micic isn't afraid of the pressure. dude has been there in equally high pressure games. mann seems to have a lot of confidence, and is both a better defender and shooter than giddey.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,338

Post#313 » by amcoolio » Thu May 16, 2024 9:04 pm

Giddey is shell shocked a needs a change of scenery. I think he can still be good. Wizards or Heat would be a good fit
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,409

Post#314 » by JDR720 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:12 pm

Giddy is good. But he needs to be the main ball handler, not an off-ball player.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Post#315 » by Trey24 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

His contract still doesn't become fully guaranteed but it is already partially guaranteed for next year. You should be able to trade him in a legal trade and get back whatever salary matches. However, to my knowledge, I am almost positive that the Hawks, if acquiring Bertans, could cut Bertans before January 10th, 2025 and only have to pay 5.25 million dollars on his salary, which would save a team a lot in Salary, being able to potentially clear at least $11 Million

I don't understand what you are talking about as far as guaranteeing him more $ than he is guaranteed... his salary for trade purposes is $16 million and as long as anyone were to cut Bertans before 1/10/25 you only owe around $5 million of that Salary to Bertans which can be huge for a team trying to maneuver and change some things up/save money.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 851

Post#316 » by KingCat » Thu May 16, 2024 10:45 pm

fatlever wrote:okc gonna have to trade giddey this summer
i have a hard time believing that one of mann or micic wouldn't have played better than giddey in this series. micic isn't afraid of the pressure. dude has been there in equally high pressure games. mann seems to have a lot of confidence, and is both a better defender and shooter than giddey.

Cannot believe how hard they fumbled that trade. Mann may be a long term backup for us while Gordon may be a game from retirement
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#317 » by MasterIchiro » Thu May 16, 2024 10:47 pm

Hearing on Twitter buzz about some bigger/small names possibly hitting the trade market this summer.

Donovan Mitchell
Garland
Allen
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young

Capela
Giiddey

Nothing really great for Charlotte. But I expect a busy summer of trade activity starting with the draft.
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,977

Post#318 » by Diop » Fri May 17, 2024 12:04 am

I expect Garland to stay and Mitchell to leave, I'd also see what I can get for Allen if I'm Cavaliers. Mobley has looked so much better at centre.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#319 » by JMAC3 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:06 pm

Trey24 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

His contract still doesn't become fully guaranteed but it is already partially guaranteed for next year. You should be able to trade him in a legal trade and get back whatever salary matches. However, to my knowledge, I am almost positive that the Hawks, if acquiring Bertans, could cut Bertans before January 10th, 2025 and only have to pay 5.25 million dollars on his salary, which would save a team a lot in Salary, being able to potentially clear at least $11 Million

I don't understand what you are talking about as far as guaranteeing him more $ than he is guaranteed... his salary for trade purposes is $16 million and as long as anyone were to cut Bertans before 1/10/25 you only owe around $5 million of that Salary to Bertans which can be huge for a team trying to maneuver and change some things up/save money.

Look at the Spurs/Hawks trade for Dejounte.

Gallinari was due 21 million, but only 5 guaranteed. They moved him to Spurs for Murray who at the time made 17 million. In order for this trade to be legal Hawks had to guarantee Galo 13 million instead of 5 million. Once on the Spurs his new guarantee was 13 million, so they could either waive him at that price or guarantee him the rest of the 8 million to reach 21 to keep him on the roster.

It would be the same with Bertans. So again if we wanted to trade him for a guy that made 16 million, we would have to guarantee him more than 5 million to make the deal legal. So the acquiring team could cut him and save the difference between 16 million and whatever the # is we had to guarantee him to make the deal legal (12 million) So the acquiring team would only save like 4 million in this case.

Likely any Bertans deal would be trading him as an expiring to a team for a player with multiple years left on their contract.
Big Board
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#320 » by Goodecharlotte » Sat May 18, 2024 8:23 pm

There's one player I'd would like us to go after this off season and that's Goga Bitadze, I know it's not an exciting free agent signing but I think it's definitely an up grade over Nick. I do believe he's a free agent this summer and would really improve our C position. I don't know what you guys think of him?

Return to Charlotte Hornets