Around the NBA 12

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,730

Re: Around the NBA 12 

Post#861 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 am

tnt after the game showed 4 straight 4q okc baskets were they scored on a pj defensive lapse or mistake.
on offense, he's wide open on every play. he just stands in corner and shoots 3s. its good role for him, having two superstars on floor to soak up all the def attention. that was never his role here.
i still make that trade 10/10. pj is where he needs to be. grant is where he needs to be.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,349

Post#862 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 1:47 pm

fatlever wrote:tnt after the game showed 4 straight 4q okc baskets were they scored on a pj defensive lapse or mistake.
on offense, he's wide open on every play. he just stands in corner and shoots 3s. its good role for him, having two superstars on floor to soak up all the def attention. that was never his role here.
i still make that trade 10/10. pj is where he needs to be. grant is where he needs to be.

The PJ lockdown defender thing Mavericks were trying to say when he was struggling after the deadline was cringey. Pjs a perfectly fine talented guy but he’s not a lockdown defender and never will be
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#863 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 2:00 pm

Still, OKC shut down Luka and Kyrie, leaving PJ Washington as lead scorer with 21 points, 12 rebounds. Mavs paid a premium for this guy. I always appreciated his performances in play-in games where everyone else choked, especially Terry the ball hog extraordinaire.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#864 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 4:53 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Still, OKC shut down Luka and Kyrie, leaving PJ Washington as lead scorer with 21 points, 12 rebounds. Mavs paid a premium for this guy. I always appreciated his performances in play-in games where everyone else choked, especially Terry the ball hog extraordinaire.
I think it's definitely fair to say that pj has not been scared of the moment. He always had irrational confidence. Even if he falls apart for the rest of the playoffs these three games will be enough to raise his reputation for years. This was always the type of role built for him, Corner 3 stretch 4 on a playoff team, ideally your fourth option. And a guy who at least is capable of showing up and playing defense. For all his defensive lapses they showed last night, he's still miles better Defender than bridges.

We all know that when he gets that three-pointer cooking that he can carry a team on his back for short stretches. One thing we haven't really seen much of him with Dallas is that nice little floater game he was developing here in the past year and a half.

All that being said, I'm very happy OKC came back and at least making a series out of it. Rooting against Dallas to completely fall apart as a team and an organization over the next few years to improve our pick.

Okc, it's still missing a second score next to sga. They need someone else they can depend on night in and night out. And it's crazy how unplayable giddey has been in the playoffs. You got to figure he's gone in the summer. Trade him now while he still has some trade value.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#865 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

fatlever wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Still, OKC shut down Luka and Kyrie, leaving PJ Washington as lead scorer with 21 points, 12 rebounds. Mavs paid a premium for this guy. I always appreciated his performances in play-in games where everyone else choked, especially Terry the ball hog extraordinaire.
I think it's definitely fair to say that pj has not been scared of the moment. He always had irrational confidence. Even if he falls apart for the rest of the playoffs these three games will be enough to raise his reputation for years. This was always the type of role built for him, Corner 3 stretch 4 on a playoff team, ideally your fourth option. And a guy who at least is capable of showing up and playing defense. For all his defensive lapses they showed last night, he's still miles better Defender than bridges.

We all know that when he gets that three-pointer cooking that he can carry a team on his back for short stretches. One thing we haven't really seen much of him with Dallas is that nice little floater game he was developing here in the past year and a half.

All that being said, I'm very happy OKC came back and at least making a series out of it. Rooting against Dallas to completely fall apart as a team and an organization over the next few years to improve our pick.

Okc, it's still missing a second score next to sga. They need someone else they can depend on night in and night out. And it's crazy how unplayable giddey has been in the playoffs. You got to figure he's gone in the summer. Trade him now while he still has some trade value.

I do think despite the inconsistency, PJ's makeup suits him where he can make an impact in meaningful games. Some of his indifference here might be attributable to the Hornets playing so few meaningful games. Things grew worse when post-JB LaMelo missed so many games, Cliff-ball reigned 2 years, and the team stopped sharing the ball. Hornets buried PJ on the bench. I disagree with those who rendered him a bench player. He indeed looks like a viable 3rd or 4th option on a viable playoff team.

That said, Kupchak priced him accordingly. While I'm rooting for PJ and always liked him, I do not want to see Dallas advance. Luka cries to the refs too much and I just don't like seeing players like him succeed. This includes Embiid, LeBron et al.
It has been written...
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#866 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:11 pm

fatlever wrote:

Guys have pretty much consistently looked like good pieces on winning team since leaving Charlotte. PJ, Oubre, Caleb Martin, Batum.. because all have moved on to player smaller roles where they are getting to play off better players like Luka, Embiid, Jimmy, Paul George etc... instead we were upset when Oubre and PJ were being miscast as 2nd options the past 2 years because of injuries

That is my fear if we draft a Stephon Castle type... He would look awesome playing as a 5th option on UConn, Boston, OKC etc.. but will we allow him to play that type of a role in Charlotte? Or will we immediately try to make him our 3rd best player
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#867 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 pm

I also hate when LaMelo cries and Bridges. They improved in that category recently.

Miller has the right approach. Wait for a glaring mistake and pounce on the refs. It keeps them in check more than if you try fishing for superstar calls when you're not one.
It has been written...
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#868 » by countryboi » Wed May 15, 2024 2:34 am

I wish we could get the hornets to play with a 10th of the intensity of the Knicks
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#869 » by MugzZo » Wed May 15, 2024 4:14 am

countryboi wrote:I wish we could get the hornets to play with a 10th of the intensity of the Knicks
Right! Knicks are out there fighting, and it's fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#870 » by MugzZo » Wed May 15, 2024 4:16 am

Man, jokic is such a joy to watch. Just a phenomenal talent. When it comes to knowing how to play the game of basketball, nobody is better than him.

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,605

Post#871 » by HornetJail » Thu May 16, 2024 2:43 pm

MugzZo wrote:Man, jokic is such a joy to watch. Just a phenomenal talent. When it comes to knowing how to play the game of basketball, nobody is better than him.

yeah it's him and LeBron at the top for sure in terms of the mental aspect
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#872 » by Goodecharlotte » Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm

HornetJail wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Man, jokic is such a joy to watch. Just a phenomenal talent. When it comes to knowing how to play the game of basketball, nobody is better than him.

yeah it's him and LeBron at the top for sure in terms of the mental aspect

I'd still have Lebron here, I know people won't be keen on him coming here but his mental approach and winning attitude would help this Hornets team massively
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#873 » by Chapelchilla » Thu May 16, 2024 4:11 pm

I don’t even particularly like LeBron but him coming here would be fantastic for the professionalism and visibility of the franchise.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,605

Post#874 » by HornetJail » Fri May 17, 2024 5:27 am

Yeah anyone saying they wouldn't want LeBron on the team is not worth listening to. Story changes if we had to trade Miller to get him or something but we wouldn't have to.

It's kind of weird that he's probably slightly underrated as a player right now. A lot of people are so eager to put Jayson Tatum over him atm and it's just weird.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#875 » by fatlever » Fri May 17, 2024 5:41 am

who you got in game 7 of nugz timbertrolls?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#876 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 am

fatlever wrote:who you got in game 7 of nugz timbertrolls?

Nuggets by a lot
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,978

Post#877 » by Diop » Fri May 17, 2024 6:02 am

yeah im still backing Denver to pull it out. great series by Minnesota though. Wonder if there is pressure to go into the luxury tax and keep KAT now
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#878 » by fatlever » Fri May 17, 2024 6:07 am

healthy conley makes a world of difference and murray has been so inconsistent in playoffs. nugz hotta hope that home court is the difference.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,732

Post#879 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 17, 2024 10:34 am

This whole series has been drunk
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#880 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 am

Kinda feel LeBron attended the Cavs playoff game to low key recruit Donovan Mitchell (or Allen).

LeBron moves a large market front office. So I have the Lakers as the early favorites to add Donovan Mitchell (who's now saying he's happy in Cleveland but that's what he's supposed to say).

Cavs are about to fire their coach. Garland wants the ball back. I bet the Cavs would love to have Lauri next to Mobley right about now, plus all their draft picks back from Danny Ainge.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets