ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1641 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm

amcoolio wrote:If Castle shoots well in team workouts he's not making it past San Antonio at 4.

Sarr is a lock to go 1 still IMO

Houston wants to trade out for a vet, so who knows.

Detroit is taking Buzelis regardless

Washington is the wild card, I can easily see them going Clingan at 2

More than likely one of Topic, Risacher or Holland is there at 6.

Devin Vassell is Castle with a lethal shot. Devin is a secondary playmaker. They need a pure PG to pair with Wemby.

If Topic sneaks past the Wiz, Spurs won't pass up his elite court vision. And it is elite. He's not much of a defender, but Wemby allows you to build around players who lean offense (Topic) vs. defense (Castle).
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Post#1642 » by LofJ » Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 pm

It would be a wise strategic decision for us to do our best to convince the Spurs we're locked in on Topic. That way they won't risk us taking him before they pick again at 8. If they take him at 4 the odds of one or even both of Castle and Holland being there at 6 are high.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,969

Post#1643 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Anybody has a Wildcard pick that nobody is talking about as a possible selection for Charlotte?

Kyshawn George is the Wildcard pick for me. 6'8 guard who can handle and shoot. The only question is his athletic ability. Sure that can be a red flag, but like I mentioned before some players simply know how to play under the rim Jokic/Luka.

George is that guy I wouldn't be shocked if the Hornets decided to pick.

I mean at #6 I am not going to go crazy, but I think Bronny is actually a decent pick for the 2nd rounder. He had a 6-7+ wingspan, 40 inch vert, shot it well and has good weight at 210 lbs. He could be a solid Aaron Holiday type of pick as a defensive pg.

Haha

Lebron to Charlotte!
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#1644 » by wilson115 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:58 pm

1. Sarr
2. Clingan or Edey here just because Topic took an injury hit Topic after Spurs trade up.
3. Risacher or Castle or Holland or Clingan or Edey or Sheppard, up in the air with Houston talking trade.
4. Topic Sheppard after Wizards trade down.
5. Buzelis
6. Pick from whoever Houston's trade partner passes up.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,561

Post#1645 » by Bassman » Tue May 14, 2024 11:36 pm

Found this very good website via an X post from Nick Kalinowski. You can see all of the combine measurables for each player, AND see how that player compares to averages for their position….AND see some draft prospects who compare with the same measurable in previous combines.

https://njk11.pythonanywhere.com/
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 851

Post#1646 » by KingCat » Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 am

What the selling point on Matas? Just feels like he doesnt do anything particularly well.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,978

Post#1647 » by Diop » Wed May 15, 2024 1:34 am

I think I want one of Holland/Castle. I want the feisty hard worker.

If they become decent shooters, Great!, if they don't I've always been a Cody Martin fan and wouldnt mind some more of that.
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#1648 » by KingCat » Wed May 15, 2024 1:50 am

As of now, the only player that really pumps me up is Holland. And that is knowing full well that he can be a huge bust. I think having actual playermakers like Lamelo and Micic next to him will make him look a lot better and more comfortable.

Only players Im really suspect on is Reed and Buzelis. Even still I can see a path in these guys being solid contributors.
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 368

Post#1649 » by dmutombo321 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 am

According to ESPN's Jonathan Givony, "Edey has quite a few fans around the NBA at this point, and there are plenty of executives who say they have him ranked as a lottery pick, or even as a top-10 prospect because of how well he rates in their analytics models."

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using RealGM mobile app
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,275

Post#1650 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed May 15, 2024 3:56 am

SWedd523 wrote:Knecht is a bigger, more athletic, higher volume version of Sheppard.

I don't think they are anything alike in play style period
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#1651 » by MugzZo » Wed May 15, 2024 5:25 am

Seeing Aaron Gordon play and remembering Shawn Marion. The impact of these types of guys is what I think Holland can be. Damn we could use a player in that mold. Holland comps well to both. I like castle a lot more than i did with his measurements being very good, but do you want hart/Suggs or gordon/Marion. At least, that's what it looks like to me. As far as projecting. Both solid picks, but it's a valid discussion.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#1652 » by KingCat » Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 am

MugzZo wrote:Seeing Aaron Gordon play and remembering Shawn Marion. The impact of these types of guys is what I think Holland can be. Damn would could use a player in that mold. Holland comps well to both. I like castle a lot more with his measurements, but do you want hart/Suggs or gordon/Marion. At least that's what it looks like to me. As far as projecting. Both solid picks, but it's a valid discussion.

Yeah. Holland was clearly forced into a mismatched role on ignite. There is no way the kid was ready to be a high usage perimeter player like a Luka. Think he will turn heads being more a a Kuminga cutter on a team of good playmakers.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Post#1653 » by MugzZo » Wed May 15, 2024 6:00 am

KingCat wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Seeing Aaron Gordon play and remembering Shawn Marion. The impact of these types of guys is what I think Holland can be. Damn would could use a player in that mold. Holland comps well to both. I like castle a lot more with his measurements, but do you want hart/Suggs or gordon/Marion. At least that's what it looks like to me. As far as projecting. Both solid picks, but it's a valid discussion.

Yeah. Holland was clearly forced into a mismatched role on ignite. There is no way the kid was ready to be a high usage perimeter player like a Luka. Think he will turn heads being more a a Kuminga cutter on a team of good playmakers.
Kuminga is a really good comparison. He's still going to ge 18 at the draft amd just a little after. He's almost as old as some guys who used to come out of high school back when you could do that. Plus he's already played a year of developmental ball on top of being the #1 guy going in the the 23-24 season. The stuff is there. If he can shoot just 35% percent on 3s in a few years he's gonna be pretty tough. His passing is underrated as well.

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,175

Post#1654 » by Snidely FC » Wed May 15, 2024 11:37 am

My top Hornets picks at 6 remain Holland and Castle but if Holland and Castle are off the board at 6 the next guy I’m looking at is Cody Williams

As an early season fan of Williams and Tristan Da Silva, I watched all of Colorado’s year end tournament games and was taken aback to see how Williams, returning from several injuries and uncomfortable wearing a mask, was largely marginalized, as that team at year end was all about trying to win through upperclassmen KJ Simpson, who was totally ball dominant, and Da Silva, who was admittedly terrific. It was a lamentable no show end to the season for Williams.

That being said he measured 6'6.5" without shoes, 7'1" wingspan, 8'7" standing reach, 178.4 pounds.

And despite the year end usage crater he ended the year with a .62 true shooting percentage and .595 efg%. I thought that prior to the injuries he showed impressive versatility, from putting the ball on the floor to playmaking on the wing. Add weight (which he will because he is only 19) you have a terrific NBA wing.

If Holland and Castle are gone, Cody Williams would be my #7
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#1655 » by MasterIchiro » Wed May 15, 2024 11:54 am

I still believe the Rockets seize the opportunity to build their defense around Clingan who profiles as a prolific rim protector.

There's more tape on him (2 years) than Wiseman (2 games?) and Wiseman went 2 overall in a better draft, still talking modern era here. Size matters still, and Clingan is a giant. Scouts adore his defense.

The Wiz and Spurs both need PG. I think Wiz go with Topic.

The Spurs will be choosing from Risacher, Castle and Buzelis.

They go Risacher.
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#1656 » by wilson115 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:33 pm

Snidely FC wrote:My top Hornets picks at 6 remain Holland and Castle but if Holland and Castle are off the board at 6 the next guy I’m looking at is Cody Williams

As an early season fan of Williams and Tristan Da Silva, I watched all of Colorado’s year end tournament games and was taken aback to see how Williams, returning from several injuries and uncomfortable wearing a mask, was largely marginalized, as that team at year end was all about trying to win through upperclassmen KJ Simpson, who was totally ball dominant, and Da Silva, who was admittedly terrific. It was a lamentable no show end to the season for Williams.

That being said he measured 6'6.5" without shoes, 7'1" wingspan, 8'7" standing reach, 178.4 pounds.

And despite the year end usage crater he ended the year with a .62 true shooting percentage and .595 efg%. I thought that prior to the injuries he showed impressive versatility, from putting the ball on the floor to playmaking on the wing. Add weight (which he will because he is only 19) you have a terrific NBA wing.

If Holland and Castle are gone, Cody Williams would be my #7

Billed as a 6'8" point out of high school. Still think he's the closest thing to NBA Brandon Miller this draft the way his footwork and understanding of when to pick up his dribble and take off made his drives to the rim look effortless before the injuries. Standing reach taping out worse than Holland's despite a wingspan advantage says he's still got room to fill out, get stronger, and improve. Draftee most likely to make multiple FOs look like chumps imo.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/06/18/perry-guard-cody-williams-recruiting-rising-fiesta-bowl-section-7/7629675001/
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1657 » by Bassman » Wed May 15, 2024 1:51 pm

Cody Williams is a much less talented, less athletic and lightweight version of Brandon Miller. He’s slower than other prospects in that range. Not interested at 6.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,869

Post#1658 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 pm

This is actually incredibly disrespectful to Brandon Miller.

For some perspective:

Miller made more three-pointers in his first five college games than Cody did the entire college season. That is not a misprint.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1659 » by Bassman » Wed May 15, 2024 3:17 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:This is actually incredibly disrespectful to Brandon Miller.

For some perspective:

Miller made more three-pointers in his first five college games than Cody did the entire college season. That is not a misprint.

If referring to my take, I was trying to be somewhat kind to Williams. He is nothing close to Miller, but is a duplicate of the position. Do not need.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Post#1660 » by LofJ » Wed May 15, 2024 3:20 pm

I think Cody Williams could develop into a good player in 3 years, but he needs to go to a team that will let him handle the ball and is patient enough to live with the results while he develops his body (which needs a lot of work). A team like the Blazers or the Jazz would be the best landing spot for him. I think he'd bust with us.

Return to Charlotte Hornets