ImageImage

DRAFT LOTTERY 24

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,542

Re: DRAFT LOTTERY 24 

Post#101 » by GoBobs » Sun May 12, 2024 10:36 pm

#6 is fine. There are going to be a lot of good options that might be better than whoever is picked at #1. Plus we just saved like 4 million dollars.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,929

Post#102 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 10:38 pm

Something tells me they will be high on another wing though similar to Miller. I know Cody Williams isn't the popular name but he allows Miller to stay at the 2 and he has a point forward kind of skillset. The motor is what turned me off. Dude just goes through the motions for most of the games I have watched.

He's a gamble, but could have a huge upside if his mentality changes.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#103 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Something tells me they will be high on another wing though similar to Miller. I know Cody Williams isn't the popular name but he allows Miller to stay at the 2 and he has a point forward kind of skillset. The motor is what turned me off. Dude just goes through the motions for most of the games I have watched.

The problem with our perimeter defense is our PG is too long to stay in front of opposing PG.

I don't see a world where we ask Miller or Melo to guard the opposing PG.

What I like about Castle is he's the one secondary playmaker in the draft who can guard 1-3. Plus he's smart on both ends. Makes the right pass. Knows when to drive. He makes great reads on defense as well.

We need perimeter defense but since Mark is more of a finisher at the 5 and not much of a ball mover, our perimeter defender needs to move the ball.

Miller can move the ball, but I don't want him chasing around opposing PG all day.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#104 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 pm

LaMelo/Micic
Castle/Mann/NSJ
Miller/Martin
Miles/Grant
Mark/Valanciunas
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#105 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 10:51 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:LaMelo/Micic
Castle/Mann/NSJ
Miller/Martin
Miles/Grant
Mark/Valanciunas

Obviously, Mann would start. I'm thinking more longterm. When Micic is off the books, Mann moves to PG2 and Castle to SG1 when ready.
It has been written...
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,327

Post#106 » by amcoolio » Sun May 12, 2024 10:52 pm

Castle/Mann/NSJ
Miller/Martin
Miles/Grant
Mark/Valanciunas

Lineup cannot survive with two non-shooters. Castle won't be a rotation player next year anywhere until he can shoot. He's a Davion Mitchell level 15 min off the bench right now
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#107 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 10:58 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Castle/Mann/NSJ
Miller/Martin
Miles/Grant
Mark/Valanciunas

Lineup cannot survive with two non-shooters. Castle won't be a rotation player next year anywhere until he can shoot. He's a Davion Mitchell level 15 min off the bench right now

I think Mann would start, as added above.

Charlotte is the perfect destination for Castle to expand his range between 2 elite spacers in LaMelo & Miller. Miles also shot 40% from 3 in JB's system one season.

Castle needs our shooting and we need his perimeter defense and playmaking (secondary).

Mann is the perfect bridge to Castle. I want to keep Mann longterm as a hedge and as PG2 when Micic is off the books.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#108 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 pm

I think Castle would have room to grow here.

Excited about this pick because I think he will be there 6 and I think we need him.
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,001

Post#109 » by wilson115 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 pm

1. Sarr - Snyder gets another 7-foot French phenom to mold into a DPOY candidate. Next.

2. Clingan - Wiz #29 league-wide defense and rebounding. Next.

3. Risacher - Rockets need all the shooting, length, and D they can get their hands on around Sengun and Green. Next.

4. Topic - Could see Spurs with Wemby in the middle rolling the dice on the ace scorer Dillingham here. Business before pleasure.

5. Buzelis - Motown needs help everywhere but size with skillz's worked out for Monty before. Next.

6. Zach Edey you are a Charlotte Hornet! :lol:
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by wilson115 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:22 pm

JDR720 wrote:
Bassman wrote:Holland is a dangerous reach IMO. Athletic but poor shooting form, makes bad decisions and would duplicate our NSJ pick at a far too high level.

I see Castle as a better option than Holland. If we can choose between Clingan, Buzelis and Castle I will feel more confident we get a long term difference maker.

Castle is a worse shooter than Holland is.

If we're picking two between two poor shooting wings, take the bigger one.

This. Not sure an 18-year-old's as "smart" and mature as he'll ever be either. At least I hope I wasn't as an 18 y.o. :lol:
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,542

Post#111 » by GoBobs » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 pm

The thing that scares me about picking 6th is I feel like we have been burned by the guy who dropped. In the Monk draft it was like he drops to you you have to take him. D Mitchel was a few picks later I think. Same deal with Noah Vonleh, dropped unexpectedly, turned out there was a reason.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#112 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 11:45 pm

What if the prospect who falls is a player who turns out like Tyrese Haliburton who also dropped unexpectedly in his draft? Or Tyrese Maxey who tumbled deep into the 1st round?
It has been written...
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#113 » by Walt Cronkite » Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 am

Bobcats forever
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,723

Post#114 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 13, 2024 12:58 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I get being concerned about his defense, but Dillingham's offense is completely ridiculous. As a freshman he was insanely efficient from 3 on high volume and he has the handle necessary to break down defenses and score in ISO situations when plays break down.

I don't get every one looking past him because we have taken a lot of shots at off guards. Dillingham is special offensively.

I said this a few days ago. He's my favorite to win ROTY.

My question is will LaMelo be fine moving over to SG?

I love Dillingham as a scorer. He's special. I just don't think the fit is the best. No doubt in my mind this kid will put up points from day 1 though.

My thoughts on that are:

(1) No one on this team is shifting Ball from a primary ball handler and creator and no one should. Ball's elite vision and creation is more valuable than what anyone else can bring on ball.

(2) We are too talent poor of a team to care about fit, and even if we weren't it is not difficult to find time for elite shooters and on ball scorers. I don't care if he comes off the bench while we figure it out, let's just get elite offensive talent in the rotation then figure it out.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#115 » by Walt Cronkite » Mon May 13, 2024 1:00 am

Always draft bpa
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,723

Post#116 » by yosemiteben » Mon May 13, 2024 1:06 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Something tells me they will be high on another wing though similar to Miller. I know Cody Williams isn't the popular name but he allows Miller to stay at the 2 and he has a point forward kind of skillset. The motor is what turned me off. Dude just goes through the motions for most of the games I have watched.

The problem with our perimeter defense is our PG is too long to stay in front of opposing PG.

I don't see a world where we ask Miller or Melo to guard the opposing PG.

I strongly disagree with this take, IMO Melo is plenty twitchy enough to guard shorter PGs. I'm more worried about playing him up and having him guards stronger wings.
wilson115
Sixth Man

Post#117 » by wilson115 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:32 am

Can see the Wiz trying to trade down honestly, but maybe not if Sarr somehow falls to #2.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Could also see the Pistons as a good landing spot for Reed Sheppard and his historically-great shooting next to the tall PG Cade.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#118 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 2:11 am

Bassman wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Honestly now that I’ve calmed down I’m not that mad. I have big questions about all of the top 3 prospects. A guy like Sheppard or Matas as a top 5 pick makes me laugh.

We’ll get at least one of our guys, I’m sure.

Do NOT want Reed Sheppard. He’s just too small and will not be able to guard at an NBA level. Buzelis is a real possibility here, Castle also. If the anointed Spurs don’t take Topic he could be here. Do not want Dillingham.

He's going to prove a lot of people wrong IMO. Castle looks like a poor mans Ron Holland to me.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#119 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon May 13, 2024 2:12 am

countryboi wrote:
Bassman wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Honestly now that I’ve calmed down I’m not that mad. I have big questions about all of the top 3 prospects. A guy like Sheppard or Matas as a top 5 pick makes me laugh.

We’ll get at least one of our guys, I’m sure.

Do NOT want Reed Sheppard. He’s just too small and will not be able to guard at an NBA level. Buzelis is a real possibility here, Castle also. If the anointed Spurs don’t take Topic he could be here. Do not want Dillingham.

I will give him credit, shooting 50/50/80 is crazy.

People don't want to draft a short (if 6'3 is short for a 1 these days lol) white guy, even if his ceiling is John Stockton with better shooting but not quite as good a passer.

Derrick White seems like a median Sheppard outcome to me.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,852

Post#120 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 13, 2024 2:16 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
countryboi wrote:
Bassman wrote:

I will give him credit, shooting 50/50/80 is crazy.

People don't want to draft a short (if 6'3 is short for a 1 these days lol) white guy, even if he might be John Stockton with better shooting but not quite as good a passer.

Derrick White seems like a median Sheppard outcome to me.

There is no world where Sheppard becomes a Derrick White level defender though, and that’s the problem. He might shoot better and be more of a threat offensively, but the defense is a full two or three steps down from White.

He has zero chance of becoming of the best shot blocking guards ever, perennial all-defensive candidate, and arguably the Celtics secondary rim protector. The defensive value he provides is massive.

Return to Charlotte Hornets