ImageImage

okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Felton for Pres
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Okafor for Chandler rumors 

Post#161 » by Felton for Pres » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:24 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
Felton for Pres wrote:I just never thought he was anything other than a defensive player.

And Chandler is???

Its a "tallest midget" sort of thing and Chandler is the taller midget in my opinion. Literally and figuratively.
thruthefire
Head Coach
And1: 600

Post#162 » by thruthefire » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 am

Maybe one of these seasons, Chander -- since he's such a better finisher -- will average more points than Okafor.
Humble yourself.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#163 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
Felton for Pres wrote:I just never thought he was anything other than a defensive player.

And Chandler is???

...going to save us $40 million.

Mek is better, sure. But is he $40 million better?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#164 » by BigSlam » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 am

Felton for Pres wrote:2. i will get pummeled for this but i'm going to say it anyway. i actually think this makes us a better team. i know, i know, i am neglecting the injury issue. i am assuming the team is smart enough to do their diligence. we immediately become more athletic and probably added 2 assists a game for both felts and boris. we've all had issues w/ mek's ability to finish, the same can't be said about chandler.

I'm sort of looking at it the same way FFP.

I like that we'll have a guy with a shorter contract (I've never liked the deal we gave EO50) and, this is the silver lining for me, if the FO is as dumb as they appear, let's just be thankful the deal wasn't a hell of a lot worse - like EO50 straight up for someone like Dalembert.

At least Chandler plays with energy and aggression.
B B M F 'ers
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#165 » by chabber » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:26 am

FFP you don't have to feel alone. If Chandler can be healthy and productive from an on the court perspective I don't mind the trade so much. It's all of the other stuff that makes it overwhelmingly scary.

Honestly it was the same way I felt about the Diaw/Bell for J Rich trade. No injury concerns there but value wise J Rich was coming off of a good year, Dudley was at the time one of our best value draft picks while Diaw and Bell were disgruntled with Diaw being overpaid for his lack of production. However seeing Diaw play so well when he was a starter years earlier I was very happy with what we were getting back on the court and really liked the trade in that sense.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,993

Post#166 » by W_HAMILTON » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 am

Maybe one of these seasons, Chandler, since he's such a better shotblocker, will average more blocks than Okafor.

Oh, wait, it did happen. Once. Okafor's rookie season. By 0.1 bpg.

Ugh.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,993

Post#167 » by W_HAMILTON » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 am

SWEDD523 wrote:Mek is better, sure. But is he $40 million better?

He's going to cost us more money over the next two seasons. We could have simply traded Okafor for expiring crap. Then we could have saved over 50m! Okafor is better than expiring crap, but is he 50m better?

That could be said for anyone.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
Felton for Pres
Pro Prospect

Post#168 » by Felton for Pres » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:30 am

thruthefire wrote:Maybe one of these seasons, Chander -- since he's such a better finisher -- will average more points than Okafor.

Chandler had to share the ball w/ CP3, Peja and West. Mek had to share the ball with Crash and JRich. I'd argue that Mek got more touches than Chandler (although I could be completely wrong, just guessing).
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#169 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:33 am

The page is down, but I'm pretty positive Chandler has been benefiting from the Hornets fast pace while Mek has dealt with Charlotte's slow one, so arguing touches in regard to their point differential is stupid.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#170 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:35 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:
SWEDD523 wrote:Mek is better, sure. But is he $40 million better?

He's going to cost us more money over the next two seasons. We could have simply traded Okafor for expiring crap. Then we could have saved over 50m! Okafor is better than expiring crap, but is he 50m better?

That could be said for anyone.

Certainly true. I really don't think we're getting fair value. But this DOES give us a ton of breathing room in the long run.
bobcatters
Sophomore

Post#171 » by bobcatters » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 am

My opinion is that this is a zero sum gain. If that is the case, do not get rid of the face of your franchise since its inception Okafor in 04.

This is crap. Pure crap.
Bobcatters 3.0; New Home, Same Poster.
misterglover
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#172 » by misterglover » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 am

FFP i co-sign everything you've said...from Day 1 Okafor was given the keys to this cadillac (or Ford Focus if you will...) we traded up to get him & Bernie & crew were praying Orlando took DHoward so we could get Okafor....He's has been everything but a franchise player, I think we are a better team with Chandler...would've definetly like to get more but I think Chandler will fit what LB wants and mesh better with the other guys skill sets....
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#173 » by ohara » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am

bobcatters wrote:My opinion is that this is a zero sum gain. If that is the case, do not get rid of the face of your franchise since its inception Okafor in 04.

This is crap. Pure crap.

Yep. And the only good in it I see is that it helps Bob Johnson sell the team as it knocks off 3 years of Contract exposure. My gosh, could we not have done any better than Chandler?
bobcatters
Sophomore

Post#174 » by bobcatters » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 am

ohara wrote:
bobcatters wrote:My opinion is that this is a zero sum gain. If that is the case, do not get rid of the face of your franchise since its inception Okafor in 04.

This is crap. Pure crap.

Yep. And the only good in it I see is that it helps Bob Johnson sell the team as it knocks off 3 years of Contract exposure. My gosh, could we not have done any better than Chandler?

The only good outcome to this trade is if it gets Bob Johnson out of town.
Bobcatters 3.0; New Home, Same Poster.
Bowser
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#175 » by Bowser » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 am

Observer reports the deal will officially be announced tomorrow.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#176 » by fatlever » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 am

the best part about this trade is the 5 or six times you guys made me laugh out loud. waydown is on fire. ham is on fire and the "i do not want" cats are on fire.

regarding the trade... meh... you guys know my feelings. i'm sad we didnt get more value. i'm sad cause okafor, even though he drove me nuts, was like part of my family. i'm sad cause he is a really good guy..... but if chandler can be healthy, i like the dynamics of the team. chandler is a true center, not a pf playing center. brown doesnt post up his centers much anyway. chandler can set better picks than okafor (i promise you lb hating watching mek pick up at least 1 foul per game on bad screens). chandler is quicker and rebounds just as well. and in two years we finally have some options financially. i dont think chandler vs okafor will really amount to much either way in terms of win/loss for us.

and hopefully this gets bob out of town faster.

the sky isnt falling.

toodles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#177 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:17 am

wow, this is complete ****... we are New Orleans bitches.

Take our franchise and replace it with an even cheaper one

Win a coin flip that nets them the best PG in the NBA and a future MVP while we walk away with Felton (who is a decent PG) and May (who is basically out of the league)

Now we trade our defensive anchor and centerpiece who we had locked in long term for a dude who can't even pass other teams physicals....

Why am I torturing myself with this team again? Should I have stuck with the Hornets? I remember my biggest worry is will we end up with home court advantage. Now my biggest worry is what kind of moronic moves are Jordan and Bob Johnson going to come up with next.

Seriously, if this franchise just did the opposite of what they thought was a good move we would be a top 3 team by now.
Cavsman11
Ballboy

Post#178 » by Cavsman11 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 am

Chicago fans offered Brad Miller and Tyrus Thomas for Okafor and Nazr. Wow we got screwed on this one bad value wise. If Bob was looking for Cap relief this deal would have been much better Miller coming off at 12 M and sending Nazr's contract. But by the looks off it we take the worst deal proposed as usual and continue locking ourselves in for the lottery. Its just gona suck when the pick goes unprotected and someone gets a top 3 pick and we dont get ****. I hate this one even more than the J-rich trade (and i hated that one) maybe this one will work out as well as that one but i doubt it will. If this trade goes through as is i'm no longer a Bobcats Fan now just purely a Cavs fan. Maybe i'll come back if when all of management is gone, i hope that former rockets guy buys the team, at least he seems to know what he's doing.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Healthy Tyson Chandler... 

Post#179 » by doc.end » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 am

...bandwagon. Hop, anyone else?

(i simply dont like that crying and negativity all around this board; heads up, what is done (maybe?), it is done, go ahead and think positively.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Re: Not the worst move... but consistent with the Cats 

Post#180 » by doc.end » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:On the court, it may not be horrible, but it is a poor use of assets.

And what really matters? I boldly assume you are not Bob Johnson and you don't care about merchandising and such things then.

Return to Charlotte Hornets