ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

lmcguir15
Freshman
And1: 64

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1661 » by lmcguir15 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:45 pm

LofJ wrote:I think Cody Williams could develop into a good player in 3 years, but he needs to go to a team that will let him handle the ball and is patient enough to live with the results while he develops his body (which needs a lot of work). A team like the Blazers or the Jazz would be the best landing spot for him. I think he'd bust with us.

He doesn't play above the rim or really crash the boards. Watching him play this year (granted, he was injured for most of it) he's not a strong defender and at times reminded me of a baby deer trying to find its legs. Bigger offensive players will bully him I'm afraid.

He will have to be an elite offensive player to hide his other shortcomings. Not a big fan, but he shouldn't fall out of the lottery either.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,338

Post#1662 » by amcoolio » Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm

Unfortunately Cody has Adam Morrison’s athleticism. He needs a lot of work physically. If he had Miles Bridges athleticism he’d be the #1 pick
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 368

Post#1663 » by dmutombo321 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm

Cody Williams' game is not too dissimilar to his brothers, imo. Jalen is built like a tank though and that physicality that makes him so effective in getting to his spots and finishing through contact is completely lacking in his brother's thin frame.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,969

Post#1664 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 5:46 pm

Snidely FC wrote:My top Hornets picks at 6 remain Holland and Castle but if Holland and Castle are off the board at 6 the next guy I’m looking at is Cody Williams

As an early season fan of Williams and Tristan Da Silva, I watched all of Colorado’s year end tournament games and was taken aback to see how Williams, returning from several injuries and uncomfortable wearing a mask, was largely marginalized, as that team at year end was all about trying to win through upperclassmen KJ Simpson, who was totally ball dominant, and Da Silva, who was admittedly terrific. It was a lamentable no show end to the season for Williams.

That being said he measured 6'6.5" without shoes, 7'1" wingspan, 8'7" standing reach, 178.4 pounds.

And despite the year end usage crater he ended the year with a .62 true shooting percentage and .595 efg%. I thought that prior to the injuries he showed impressive versatility, from putting the ball on the floor to playmaking on the wing. Add weight (which he will because he is only 19) you have a terrific NBA wing.

If Holland and Castle are gone, Cody Williams would be my #7

I was expecting Cody Williams to be a legit 6'8 and a SF.

Are you comfortable with him playing sg?
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,294

Post#1665 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:41 pm

Most of the NBA heights are listed with shoes. 6'6.5" without shoes, 7'1" wingspan is fine for SF.

Jaylen Brown was 6' 5.25'' and 6' 11.75' wingspan
MKG was 6' 5.75'' with 7'' wingspan
Jarace Walker was 6' 6.50'' with 7'2'' wingspan

He is also bigger than Jacquez, Whitmore, Herb Jones and those guys all play SF.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,969

Post#1666 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 7:23 pm

I like Kyshawn George over Cody if we being honest.

Better ball handler, better shooter, and he's taller. He's not athletic, but Cody isn't that much more athletic either.
amcoolio

Post#1667 » by amcoolio » Wed May 15, 2024 7:49 pm

I think we are sleeping on Reed Sheppard. Who's to say he can't add strength over the next 3 years and be some sort of Derrick White/Steve Nash hybrid. His BBIQ, shooting and passing is just too good to overlook
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 851

Post#1668 » by KingCat » Wed May 15, 2024 7:52 pm

Both Matas and Williams strike me as wings with no particular speciality or role at a next level.

Bums me to say cause Williams was one of my favorite prospects in the early season, but he just showed too many red flags later on to want to spend a top 10 pick on.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,410

Post#1669 » by JDR720 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1670 » by JDR720 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:28 pm

amcoolio wrote:I think we are sleeping on Reed Sheppard. Who's to say he can't add strength over the next 3 years and be some sort of Derrick White/Steve Nash hybrid. His BBIQ, shooting and passing is just too good to overlook

He has the cleanest fit with our current group of young players. Off-ball shooting, PG defense and a secondary playmaker.

The others either have direct conflicts with one of our other players (Clingan/Edey) or have more limited specialties (Holland/Castle).

I'd say Dalton is a clean fit too, at least on offense.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,542

Post#1671 » by GoBobs » Wed May 15, 2024 8:38 pm

Here are my draft tiers for our team.

Tier 1 - generational prospect

1. Edey

Tier 2 - solid player ready to help a team

2. Knecht

Tier 3 - 2 years away from being a good player.... or a bust...

(probably going to be good players)

3. Castle
4. Holland

(probably going to be busts)

5. RIsacher
6. Sarr
7. Buzelis

To many red flags, do not draft

8. Topic - a knee injury and reinjury, yeah not in to it
9. Clingan - history of a foot injury and 50 something percent from the free throw line
10. Dillingham - to short and to sleight
11. Reed - to small for anything but PG, questions about ability to play pg
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,730

Post#1672 » by fatlever » Wed May 15, 2024 8:41 pm

i'd be more more interested in reed if we didn't already have so many similar players - none of which should be starters, all of which should be competing with reed for a 6th/7th man role.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#1673 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 15, 2024 10:30 pm

GoBobs wrote:Here are my draft tiers for our team.

1. Edey

2. Knecht

3. Castle
4. Holland

5. RIsacher
6. Sarr
7. Buzelis

9. Clingan - history of a foot injury and 50 something percent from the free throw line

If Zach Edey becomes a generational player I will do whatever you want me to do to you.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
amcoolio

Post#1674 » by amcoolio » Wed May 15, 2024 11:00 pm

Here's who I'll be happy with as of 5/15 in order:

1. Sarr - elite body and measurables and can handle the ball and play D, worth the gamble

2. Risacher - I would say this guy would be a bust if he was Fournier height or something but he's a legit 6'9" to 6'10", has high BBIQ awareness, and just looks like MPJ on the court. We need that type of player and not worried about his shooting, will be great in the NBA with spacing and playing of Ball and Miller.

3. Castle - I have come around on him with the way his shot looked at the combine. He works hard if he improved that much since the title game and we need that infectious hardworking attitude here so bad

4. Sheppard - IDK I just have a feeling we pass on this guy and he becomes the next star Kentucky guard like Booker, Maxey, etc. Really smart on both ends of the floor and shoots the tar out of the ball. We had these same arguments with Booker during that draft.

5. Clingan - Bigger, more skilled Isaiah Hartenstein, plays hard, rebounds great, elite drop defender, can pass, smart on both ends, just a player we sorely need to raise our floor

6. Holland - I liked his alpha attitude and how hard he works on defense, but he still needs a lot of work and it scares me adding a player so young when we are trying to win. Very Kuminga like

7. Edey - a shocker - but its hard to ignore that combine performance, the agility, the shooting, and he is a lock to be a lottery pick now. Like Castle he just improves and works his ass off man, and he's gigantic with soft touch around the rim and good hands, literally only one person in the NBA (Wemby) will be able to bother him when he gets the ball in the post. Totally fine taking the gamble in a subpar draft

8. Topic - Like the player but done with taking players with injury concerns

Others:
Dillingham - More Monk or Bones Hyland than Maxey, especially with those poor measurables. Play Nick Smith Jr. No way this guy is the pick.
Buzelis - I don't get it. Just seems like the next Wizards/Pistons bust. If they draft him I guess they saw something in him and I'll trust the process
McCain - I like but probably too high at 6. Needs a structured system. Will probably kick our ass as a Heat
Knecht - Do we really want to draft an older Corey Kispert at 6? I would rather trade the pick for an Avdija level player
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#1675 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

1. Edey

2. Knecht

3. Castle
4. Holland

5. RIsacher
6. Sarr
7. Buzelis

If Zach Edey becomes a generational player I will do whatever you want me to do to you.

wow

penis
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#1676 » by wilson115 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:30 pm

wilson115 wrote:Billed as a 6'8" point out of high school. Still think he's the closest thing to NBA Brandon Miller this draft the way his footwork and understanding of when to pick up his dribble and take off made his drives to the rim look effortless before the injuries.

EmpireFalls wrote:This is actually incredibly disrespectful to Brandon Miller.

For some perspective:

Miller made more three-pointers in his first five college games than Cody did the entire college season. That is not a misprint.

I didn't say he shot it like B-Mill in college. B-Mill was questioned about his ability to pressure the rim and finish in Alabama's system and he's proven he's up to doing that in the NBA. I could actually say Cody Williams is the anti-Brandon Miller as far as what they showed in the NCAA, Cody got to the rim at will but has shown little from range like you've pointed out. That's still worth a lottery pick given everything else he has like great size and the ability to play D.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1677 » by JDR720 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:34 pm

Not including Sarr.

1- Holland - Yeah, he's a poor shooter but he's actually slightly bigger than Miles and may be more athletic too. Besides Sarr, he has the most 2-way upside IMO.
2- Reed - He's short. And so is a bunch of other really good NBA players. He has the cleanest fit and a more well-rounded skillset than our other combo guards.
3- Castle - He's probably a high floor defensive player at worst. If he can be a respectable shooter, he should be one of the better 2-way players.
4- Edey - Yes. I know he's stuck in the mud. But I think he's a legitimate double-double threat coming off the bench and he'll be great for a 4 out 1 in offense.
5- Knect - Supposedly not a good defender, but I think he is Tyler Herro-like on offense. Which is pretty good for this draft.
6- RIsacher - To me, he's a boom or bust guy 100%. But he's still really tall and should be a good shooter. Worth taking a swing on that.
7- Clingan - Most have him above Edey. But I'm not sure why. Probably has a high floor but his ceiling is pretty low too. This years Kessler.

Dillingham - He's smaller than Reed and we already have NSJ as our developmental scoring PG/SG.
Topic - He seems high upside. But I don't trust his knee.
Buzelis - Similar thoughts to others. To me, he doesn't have an obvious role. Some reason reminds me of Dario Saric or Kyle Anderson.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,979

Post#1678 » by Diop » Wed May 15, 2024 11:51 pm

Reeds sprints were very close to Edeys.

That’s my biggest concern with reed, his quickness.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#1679 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 15, 2024 11:57 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

1. Edey

2. Knecht

3. Castle
4. Holland

5. RIsacher
6. Sarr
7. Buzelis

wow

penis

Lol and I'm straight as hell.

Watch his ass put up 29 and 13 his sophomore year.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 851

Post#1680 » by KingCat » Thu May 16, 2024 12:06 am

Alright here is my attempt to mock what the first 5 picks will look like:

ATL: Sarr

WAS: Topic (this team has no foundation besides maybe Bilal, they can really go anywhere, but Im gonna guess they go with the top PG since their PG play was atrocious last year. Plus this team is just starting their tank, they may be fine with taking a player who may need time to recover from injury)

HOU: Reed (if Houston keeps this pick, I think they go with whoever they determine is the better shooter between Reed and Risacher

SAS: Risacher (or Reed if Houston take Risacher)

DET: Clingan (Think they go with either of the UCONN bots here for the "culture change"

Think the Hornets take Castle here as another "culture changer" move

Things get pretty interesting for us if Castle goes in the top 5. Can't imagine who the front office are picking between Clingan, Holland, Matas, and Dillingham. For BPO here, most experts pick Clingan. Im not huge on him at all, and don't see why the FO would take another 7+ footer who may have nagging injury concerns.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?

Return to Charlotte Hornets