2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 967

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1681 » by MugzZo » Thu May 16, 2024 12:59 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Here are my draft tiers for our team.

Tier 1 - generational prospect

1. Edey

Tier 2 - solid player ready to help a team

2. Knecht

Tier 3 - 2 years away from being a good player.... or a bust...

(probably going to be good players)

3. Castle
4. Holland

(probably going to be busts)

5. RIsacher
6. Sarr
7. Buzelis

To many red flags, do not draft

8. Topic - a knee injury and reinjury, yeah not in to it
9. Clingan - history of a foot injury and 50 something percent from the free throw line
10. Dillingham - to short and to sleight
11. Reed - to small for anything but PG, questions about ability to play pg

If Zach Edey becomes a generational player I will do whatever you want me to do to you.
Just post pics so we can all enjoy them if it happens.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,551

Post#1682 » by GoBobs » Thu May 16, 2024 1:02 am

The hardest thing to find in young players is shooting. Shooting is the best skill to have. This is why Brandon Miller will always be better than the Anthony Blacks, Amen Thompson ect. We don't know if those guys can become knockdown shooters.

If I look at this draft and ask whose 3pt shooting do I believe in, it is Knecht, Reed, and Dillingham. Only Knecht has nba size and a proven shot from 3.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,345

Post#1683 » by amcoolio » Thu May 16, 2024 1:55 am

GoBobs wrote:The hardest thing to find in young players is shooting. Shooting is the best skill to have. This is why Brandon Miller will always be better than the Anthony Blacks, Amen Thompson ect. We don't know if those guys can become knockdown shooters.

If I look at this draft and ask whose 3pt shooting do I believe in, it is Knecht, Reed, and Dillingham. Only Knecht has nba size and a proven shot from 3.

Shooters who do nothing else are also abundant and not very valuable.. we already have Bertans and Curry. I would gamble on Reed's superior IQ, playmaking, passing and defense becoming elite than Knecht learning those traits at 27 midway through his rookie contract
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,032

Post#1684 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 16, 2024 2:18 am

amcoolio wrote:
GoBobs wrote:The hardest thing to find in young players is shooting. Shooting is the best skill to have. This is why Brandon Miller will always be better than the Anthony Blacks, Amen Thompson ect. We don't know if those guys can become knockdown shooters.

Shooters who do nothing else are also abundant and not very valuable.. we already have Bertans and Curry. I would gamble on Reed's superior IQ, playmaking, passing and defense becoming elite than Knecht learning those traits at 27 midway through his rookie contract

Is Melo playing sg in this scenario?

Kind of hard to invision a 6'1 SG being dominant on defense.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1685 » by MugzZo » Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Yeah Reed is a do not touch guy. He the type of dude who would have me put a hole in my wall if we drafted him. I remember when we drafted frank Kaminski. Omg I was ultra mad about that. I don't remember who else was on the board in that draft but there were players that were better drafted after him in more than sure about it.

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,565

Post#1686 » by Bassman » Thu May 16, 2024 3:53 am

amcoolio wrote:

Come on…Knecht just turned 23 a month ago…he’s not ancient, and he’s a damn good prospect with NBA size and skills. Is his defense good enough? Have no idea, but he’s tall, long and athletic enough to play good D. Reed may be a lot of good things too, and yes he’s a heck of a college shooter. Will he be able to hit much more contested shots at NBA level, and defend similarly, with his size? Not so sure.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,032

Post#1687 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 am

MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Yeah Reed is a do not touch guy. He the type of dude who would have me put a hole in my wall if we drafted him. I remember when we drafted frank Kaminski. Omg I was ultra mad about that. I don't remember who else was on the board in that draft but there were players that were better drafted after him in more than sure about it.

Of all the prospects Reed is honestly the most confusing.

I just don't see a clear role other than backup PG.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1688 » by MugzZo » Thu May 16, 2024 3:59 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Is Melo playing sg in this scenario?

That's how I feel. He might end up being a good player but he doesn't raise the floor of the team or raise the ceiling in my opinion.

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,004

Post#1689 » by wilson115 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:34 am

Who's in their circle who can influence them?

*starts trawling through prospects' Insta pages*

Read on Twitter
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,282

Post#1690 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 am

MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Please elaborate on this Kaminski/Sheppard comparison. Both are white? Lol
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,883

Post#1691 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 pm

I don’t view Kaminsky and Sheppard as comparable prospects at all. And I’m a Sheppard skeptic. Kaminsky was a horrible miscalculation of where the league was headed - yes, he could shoot (could he? Not really, but still), but he had poor positional size, below average quickness, athleticism, and almost negative strength. He only looked passable athletically in college bc he had 4 years of a Big 10 strength program and he was going against guys 3 years younger than him.

Also, being a stretch 4 or 5 means nothing if you can’t also put it on the floor and attack closeouts, which for some reason the genius Cho/Jordan overlooked. It was obvious that he’d be the next Byron Mullens from day 1.

Once he got here, in a position where we desperately needed athleticism and some real size, he crumbled as expected. Sheppard plays a far less premium defensive position and actually has some athleticism (for his size) plus he’s a much much better shooter.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 892

Post#1692 » by Chapelchilla » Thu May 16, 2024 1:05 pm

MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Yeah Reed is a do not touch guy. He the type of dude who would have me put a hole in my wall if we drafted him. I remember when we drafted frank Kaminski. Omg I was ultra mad about that. I don't remember who else was on the board in that draft but there were players that were better drafted after him in more than sure about it.

That's how I feel. He might end up being a good player but he doesn't raise the floor of the team or raise the ceiling in my opinion.

Is Reed going to be a better or worse pro player then say Payton Pritchard? I would think better. Payton plays like 22-26 minutes a game on a possible NBA Champion team. That is not a bad pick up at 6th in a poor draft.
If we can get someone even better, thats great but Reed could still be useful with Payton as the floor.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,551

Post#1693 » by GoBobs » Thu May 16, 2024 2:09 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Of all the prospects Reed is honestly the most confusing.

Is Reed going to be a better or worse pro player then say Payton Pritchard? I would think better. Payton plays like 22-26 minutes a game on a possible NBA Champion team. That is not a bad pick up at 6th in a poor draft.
If we can get someone even better, thats great but Reed could still be useful with Payton as the floor.

Payton shot 38% from deep on 4.7 attempts
Nick Smith Jr shot 43% on 2.9 attempts
Tre Mann shot 36% on 3.8 attempts
and then we could bring back Seth Curry who is a career 43% on 4.2 attempts

so.. do you need a Payton Pritchard on a team that already has Nick Smith Jr and Tre Mann, both themselves first round picks still on rookie contracts?

The one thing Reed really has going for him is he shot 51% from deep in college on a very large sample size. If you think he can be the greatest percentage shooter of all time in the league, he is probably worth a pick.

Shooting is very streaky in general though. Even great shooters go through slumps and hot streaks.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,420

Post#1694 » by JDR720 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:36 pm

NSJ doesn't play defense and can't pass. Like I said earlier, Reed has a much more well-rounded game than our other combo guards.

And his size isn't abnormal.

Reed was 6' 1.75' without shoes, I'm rounding that to 6'3 with shoes. He had a 6'3 wingspan.

Trae Mann is 6'4 in shoes with a 6'4 wingspan.
Davion Mitchell is 6'1 in shoes with a 6'4 wingspan.
Coby White is 6'4 with a 6'5 wingspan
Jalen Brunson is 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan
Tyus Jones is 6'2 with a 6'5 wingspan

So he's slightly bigger than Jalen Brunson and slightly smaller than Trae Mann. He's about an average sized PG.

If he can be a Davion Mitchell that can also shoot and pass instead of just defend, then he'll be a very useful player.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,356

Post#1695 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:06 pm

JDR720 wrote:NSJ doesn't play defense and can't pass. Like I said earlier, Reed has a much more well-rounded game than our other combo guards.

And his size isn't abnormal.

Reed was 6' 1.75' without shoes, I'm rounding that to 6'3 with shoes. He had a 6'3 wingspan.

Trae Mann is 6'4 in shoes with a 6'4 wingspan.
Davion Mitchell is 6'1 in shoes with a 6'4 wingspan.
Coby White is 6'4 with a 6'5 wingspan
Jalen Brunson is 6'2 with a 6'4 wingspan
Tyus Jones is 6'2 with a 6'5 wingspan

So he's slightly bigger than Jalen Brunson and slightly smaller than Trae Mann. He's about an average sized PG.

If he can be a Davion Mitchell that can also shoot and pass instead of just defend, then he'll be a very useful player.

Tre Mann 6-3.25 without shoes and 6-4 wingspan.
Coby White 6-3.5 without shoes and 6-5 wingspan

Not massively bigger, but both are bigger.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,356

Post#1696 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:23 pm

Rob Dillingham is 164 lbs and 6-1... (compare that to Garland at 192 lbs and he looks tiny.)
Reed is 6-1.75, 181 lbs with a 6-3 wingspan
Collier is 6- 2.5 205 lbs 6- 4.75' wingspan

Jakobe is 6-4.25 198 lbs with a 6-10 wingspan
Castle is 6-5.5 210.0 lbs 6-9 wingspan
Topic is listed at 6-7 200 lbs unknown wingspan

Holland is 6- 6-5 197 lbs 6-10.75 wingspan
Risacher listed at 6-8 204 lbs with a 6-10 wingspan
Buzelis is 6- 8.75''197.0 lbs with a 6-10 wingspan

Conclusion
- There is no way Reed or Rob can guard 2s. Just look how much smaller they are than Castle, Jakobe and Topic.
- It is not just height either, it is wingspan and weight too. Topic and Castle have 6 inches of length, 4-5 inches of height and ~25 lbs on Reed. That is not even looking at grown NBA players, this is vs guys younger than him.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 428

Post#1697 » by Rays Pompadour » Thu May 16, 2024 4:41 pm

This debate is terrific in light of positionless basketball.

The reading I’ve done points to fit compared to floor or ceiling. Two key skills desired: shooting and defense. These are complimentary skills to an NBA roster, not needle-moving talent. So, this draft will be about fit more than best player available.

Ichiro has done the closest thing to a “fit” draft. I’d be curious to see others’. Mocking the lottery, whom would you select for best fit, regardless of perceived rank?

This draft is the flattest I’ve seen in quite a while. Should be fun to watch every pick or trade made.

Also, which player do you think will be selected surprisingly higher than ranked? Which will fall the farthest?
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1698 » by Bassman » Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 pm

While this team needs more quality players we don’t need to add an undersized guard unless he’s just guaranteed dynamite. Tre Mann is a good guard worth continued development. NSJ has shown some promise. If Castle or Knecht is your SG target, so be it. Sheppard just doesn’t project to work well next to Melo.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1699 » by Bassman » Thu May 16, 2024 5:02 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:”which player do you think will be selected surprisingly higher than ranked? Which will fall the farthest?

At this point, I think Edey will go higher than his initial projections (which were low to late 20’s first round). His combine was stellar. He’s clearly setting the table for late lottery (or shockingly better if some team gets too starry eyed).

Fall farthest? Right now it’s Dillingham; since Topic appears to have no structural knee injury, he shouldn’t slide too far. Dillingham got “injured” being measured so short he couldn’t complete the drills or jumps.
MugzZo
Sixth Man

Post#1700 » by MugzZo » Thu May 16, 2024 6:04 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
MugzZo wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Is Melo playing sg in this scenario?

Please elaborate on this Kaminski/Sheppard comparison. Both are white? Lol
No just that I hated the frank pick as I thought he had no real place on the team, and thats exactly how I feel about Sheppard. I'm white. I don't care. I'd ge ok with knecht.

Return to Charlotte Hornets