ImageImage

I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!: The Steve Clifford Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Re: [Stein] Cliff being considered for coaching position 

Post#21 » by MPM » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:37 pm

Coach Cliff, 37-year-old PJ Tucker starting at 5, six man rotations, turning our youth into middling hard-nosed role players. Win now, win now, win now. Sounds fab. :D

(Even though? The idea of him assisting MDA doesn't give me palpitations - just keep him focused on D and far away from roster construction, rotations, and player dev)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#22 » by JDR720 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:50 pm

We should also resign Bismack, Kemba, Cody and Al Jefferson.
bravor
Starter
And1: 746

Post#23 » by bravor » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Batum is free agent, just sayin...

*Your account has been banned from this board. Check with the administrator for further explanation*
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#24 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:55 pm

bravor wrote:Batum is free agent, just sayin...

*Your account has been banned from this board. Check with the administrator for further explanation*

LOL
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#25 » by BigSlam » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:56 pm

I get the idea some are getting excited about - which is MDA as head coach and Clifford as lead assistant, but that doesn't really create a 2 year succession plan.

MDA is in his 70's and Clifford in his 60's.

Would we want/expect Clifford to take over from MDA in 2 years time when he is in his mid 60's?
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#26 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:03 pm

BigSlam wrote:I get the idea some are getting excited about - which is MDA as head coach and Clifford as lead assistant, but that doesn't really create a 2 year succession plan.

Would we want/expect Clifford to take over from MDA in 2 years time when he is in his mid 60's?

How many teams does the succession plan actually work for? 5%

I feel like most hires come from outside the organization, wouldn't get too hung up on planning for 4-5 years from now. I am worried about being most successful in the next 2-3 years.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#27 » by MPM » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:04 pm

BigSlam wrote:I get the idea some are getting excited about - which is MDA as head coach and Clifford as lead assistant, but that doesn't really create a 2 year succession plan.

I hated Cliff's tenure largely because he was a win-now coach without a win-now roster, meaning he killed our player dev while squeezing every minute out of so-so vets only to meekly knock at the playoff door while simultaneously sabotaging our future - it was a 'die trying' coaching regime. This said, part of me thinks Cliff could be a very good coach with a very good roster (I know, a lot of coaches could be). Could our roster be very good in 2-3 years? Sure.

This said, I don't want Clifford anywhere near the reins of our current team.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#28 » by fatlever » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:04 pm

Translation... Steve Clifford is willing to coach for cheap

Forget about any kind of transition offense

He'd fix two of our biggest flaws under JB, defensive rebounding and transition defense. At what cost though?

Player development over, fast pace offense over. Random washed vets to take minutes incoming

Those wishing for a MDA Cliff head, asst pairing are dreaming. It's either or. We aren't paying for both and I doubt cliff would return to be an asst here.

Feels like MJ just doesn't trust MDA to play Def. Is this a classic impatient MJ overcorrection from JBs undisciplined defense?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#29 » by Snidely FC » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:14 pm

the first go 'round just about killed Clifford
Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins says head coach Steve Clifford remains hospitalized after being admitted late Thursday night because he was not feeling well.

rehiring the Big Red Dog has to be someone's idea of a bad joke
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#30 » by LofJ » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm

So is it a good assumption that D'Antoni turned down the job?
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#31 » by chabber » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:18 pm

LofJ wrote:So is it a good assumption that D'Antoni turned down the job?

I wouldn't think so. I know this is a sad yet funny story, but realistically this could just be the process of widening the net while trying to secure Dantoni and a name of note on stein's list was Clifford.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#32 » by JDR720 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm

We should rehire Borrego, hire Clifford as lead assistant, Paul and Steven Silas as a development coaches and Dunlap as a ballboy.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#33 » by amcoolio » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:42 pm

JDR720 wrote:We should rehire Borrego, hire Clifford as lead assistant, Paul and Steven Silas as a development coaches and Dunlap as a ballboy.

Dunlap won a ring with the Bucks last year as assistant coach, maybe just bring him back
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#34 » by Rich4114 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:59 pm

I still have PTSD from Clifford’s putrid clutch offense and inbound plays. This can’t be serious. GTFO with this MJ and just hire MDA already.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,319

Post#35 » by countryboi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12 pm

This feels like BS, rehiring failed coaches is not something I have ever seen a team do before.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 923
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#36 » by RussellandFlow » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:24 pm

I hope this is not true as you have some promising pieces on the team. Mgmt knows what he brings and does not bring to the table and the fact his name is out there even for consideration is bad. I believe the rumors said the team wants someone with HC experience but if the option is bringing this guy back to check that box (assuming MDA does not accept) then why not look at an assistant who has yet to get a chance to be HC (e.g. Adrian Griffin, Sam Cassell, Kevin Young, David Vanterpool, Sean Sweeny, etc). At the end of the day there are only 30 NBA jobs, and I find it hard to believe that coaches would not want to work with this roster. Although I've never been, those that I do know that have, had nothing bad to say about Charlotte as a city. I can think of quite a few NBA markets where that is not the case.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#37 » by HornetJail » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:27 pm

RussellandFlow wrote:I hope this is not true as you have some promising pieces on the team. Mgmt knows what he brings and does not bring to the table and the fact his name is out there even for consideration is bad. I believe the rumors said the team wants someone with HC experience but if the option is bringing this guy back to check that box (assuming MDA does not accept) then why not look at an assistant who has yet to get a chance to be HC (e.g. Adrian Griffin, Sam Cassell, Kevin Young, David Vanterpool, Sean Sweeny, etc). At the end of the day there are only 30 NBA jobs, and I find it hard to believe that coaches would not want to work with this roster. Although I've never been, those that I do know that have, had nothing bad to say about Charlotte as a city. I can think of quite a few NBA markets where that is not the case.

I don't believe the report for a second (hence my wall of laughing emojis on page 1). Kupchak's literal first move as GM was firing Cliff's ass

then again, any time a move makes absolutely no **** sense floats as a possibility, that's the one we go with so idk what to believe.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Post#38 » by Robot Rock » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:07 pm

countryboi wrote:This feels like BS, rehiring failed coaches is not something I have ever seen a team do before.

He wasn't exactly a failed coach. He had a trash roster for most of his tenure here, and the only two seasons where he had two legitimately upper-echelon players, we made the playoffs. (Not advocating another run though)
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#39 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Maybe they are trying to sell Cliff as MDA's lead defensive assistant. ;)
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,319

Post#40 » by countryboi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:38 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
countryboi wrote:This feels like BS, rehiring failed coaches is not something I have ever seen a team do before.

He wasn't exactly a failed coach. He had a trash roster for most of his tenure here, and the only two seasons where he had two legitimately upper-echelon players, we made the playoffs. (Not advocating another run though)

yea but the reason why he was fired still exist, he is rotten milk on the fridge he is not suddenly going become a better coach.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast

Return to Charlotte Hornets