2022-23 Injury Update Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Re: 2022-23 Injury Update Thread 

Post#21 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm

At the very least, it's very bad publicity for a franchise that has had nothing but bad publicity lately.

And we never hear a **** word from mj. And barely a word from Mitch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,719

Post#22 » by yosemiteben » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm

fatlever wrote:At the very least, it's very bad publicity for a franchise that has had nothing but bad publicity lately.

And we never hear a **** word from mj. And barely a word from Mitch.

I very much agree with the first part. Doesn't really matter what's true, if a family member is putting the medical staff on blast then something was mishandled, even if it was just communication.

On the second, I think that's kind of par for the course. I wouldn't expect either the owner or GM to weigh in on something like this.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#23 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:18 pm

I dont mean I want to from mj or Mitch specifically on this situation... I just want to occasionally hear from them generally, especially given how rough of an offseason and start to season. But silence is how mj thinks he needs to deal with media. It's his thing. But then Mitch or someone other than cliff needs to occasionally talk to fanbase on a real level.

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,214

Post#24 » by SWedd523 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:47 pm

Bassman wrote:When the noise gets loud in and around families, you KNOW it’s bad. I get that Gordon’s fragile, but also believe he’s been pushed or put himself out there when not ready. Dittos regarding other players. On top of that, do we ever hear anything from this s-hole organization of any substance? I mean, is Mitch just chillin’ by his pool? I know MJ is. It’s like this team is just an appendage investment that barely turns enough annual income BUT is massively growing in value. Maybe that’s why it’s led the way it is; marking time until it’s sold.

Then what changed?

He's sat out WAY longer than average for injuries in every season he's been here. Yet, now, all of a sudden, he's being rushed back? Same medical staff, no?

It really seems like folks are just piling on at this point
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,719

Post#25 » by yosemiteben » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:00 pm

fatlever wrote:I dont mean I want to from mj or Mitch specifically on this situation... I just want to occasionally hear from them generally, especially given how rough of an offseason and start to season. But silence is how mj thinks he needs to deal with media. It's his thing. But then Mitch or someone other than cliff needs to occasionally talk to fanbase on a real level.

For me I don't actually agree, but can see wanting that degree of feedback.

He had a presser on media day, per usual.

I'm not really wanting a strategy update less than 20 games into the season. It's very clear that there hasn't been a change in strategy, and I think it'll be very obvious when there is one.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,324

Post#26 » by amcoolio » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:07 pm

I'm in the camp that she's fabricating and if I was Gordon I'd be furious at her. No NBA player is forced to play through injury. Gordon wanted to play.

And "spoke to a mother of another young player".... who exactly? Cody Martin? Because he's been out all year besides 1 minute, and that dude wants to play as well. LaMelo? No way you are keeping him off the court if he wants to play.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#27 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:32 pm

Was this misdiagnosed from the start?

Did the team know it was broken and not tell Gordon (now that seems crazy)?

Did they underplay the seriousness to Gordon?

Did the prematurely clear him?

Or is the wife just being an overprotective mama bear?

But it's really odd to call something a bruise for weeks only later to admit it's actually a fracture. Where was the disconnect? Was it always known to be a fracture, yet pr reported as bruise? If so, why? Was it to put pressure on Gordon to return quicker?

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#28 » by Diop » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:46 am

I know when my wife broke a bone it wasn’t immediately visible due to swelling etc
Could it be something like that? the team should really comment.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#29 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:17 am

Diop wrote:I know when my wife broke a bone it wasn’t immediately visible due to swelling etc

like 2-3 days? or 2-3 weeks?
i mean, these are supposedly the best sports med drs in the country. surely they can diagnose a fractured bone. xray or mri or both.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#30 » by Diop » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:39 am

fatlever wrote:
Diop wrote:I know when my wife broke a bone it wasn’t immediately visible due to swelling etc

like 2-3 days? or 2-3 weeks?
i mean, these are supposedly the best sports med drs in the country. surely they can diagnose a fractured bone. xray or mri or both.

I think about 1 week, I’m really clutching at straws here now,
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,490

Post#31 » by Hornet Mania » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:58 pm

The fact it's Hayward, who has always been given an extremely long recovery time in the past, makes it dubious. The Cody Martin bit lends more heft to the theory our medical staff are missing things.

I think it's 50/50 at this point that there is anything to this. If the wife/mom want to step forward with some receipts I'd be all ears. For example, naming the person(s) in the organization who pressured injured players to give it a go, or providing a second opinion from another MD who vouches for the initial misdiagnosis theory.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#32 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:00 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:The fact it's Hayward, who has always been given an extremely long recovery time in the past, makes it dubious. The Cody Martin bit lends more heft to the theory our medical staff are missing things.

I think it's 50/50 at this point that there is anything to this. If the wife/mom want to step forward with some receipts I'd be all ears. For example, naming the person(s) in the organization who pressured injured players to give it a go, or providing a second opinion from another MD who vouches for the initial misdiagnosis theory.

They'll shut up and dribble and collect pay checks. No one is going to disrupt the gravy train.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#33 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:53 pm

The point is this:

Hayward is a notoriously slow to heal/late to return player. So much so that it has become a meme around here.

Would you agree?

Following that logic, it makes zero sense whatsoever that the team would be purposefully hiding, downplaying, or misdiagnosing his injury now when there is YEARS of historical evidence that proves contrary.

Right?

I mean, if they're willing to be shady and convince him to come back early from a fractured shoulder, why the hell would they not have done it during previous seasons playoff pushes? Why now? early in the year of a clearly lost season where our star player is out and second best player in legal issues?

It makes no sense.

The part that gets on my nerves is his wife publicly blasting the team for it when the team has, to reiterate an earlier point, seemingly been very lenient/cautious when it comes to Hayward.

A guy who has been making $30+ million over the past three years to play in 56% of the possible games.

Now all of a sudden they're shady? Occam's razor would seem to disagree.

EDIT: I guess Braggins post disappeared? The above was in response.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,168

Post#34 » by Braggins » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:51 am

SWedd523 wrote:The point is this:

Hayward is a notoriously slow to heal/late to return player. So much so that it has become a meme around here.

Would you agree?

Following that logic, it makes zero sense whatsoever that the team would be purposefully hiding, downplaying, or misdiagnosing his injury now when there is YEARS of historical evidence that proves contrary.

Right?

I mean, if they're willing to be shady and convince him to come back early from a fractured shoulder, why the hell would they not have done it during previous seasons playoff pushes? Why now? early in the year of a clearly lost season where our star player is out and second best player in legal issues?

It makes no sense.

The part that gets on my nerves is his wife publicly blasting the team for it when the team has, to reiterate an earlier point, seemingly been very lenient/cautious when it comes to Hayward.

A guy who has been making $30+ million over the past three years to play in 56% of the possible games.

Now all of a sudden they're shady? Occam's razor would seem to disagree.

EDIT: I guess Braggins post disappeared? The above was in response.

Sorry, I didn't like the post and didn't feel like making a better one so I tried to delete it before it started a discussion lol.

I guess my point was that the thing people seem to be mad about, or at least for me, is that it looks like the medical staff messed up diagnosing his injury which put him at risk. I wouldn't completely rule out something shady like them knowing and hiding it from him, but that wouldn't be my first thought and it looks like it might just be incompetence from the staff.

I haven't been paying attention to any of the chatter around the other injuries, so I don't know if people have a point about them maybe being pressured to return early. My general opinion on that kind of stuff is that I think its the responsibility of the team to straight up not let players play even if they want to come back early (leeway for for important playoff games), so if some of those were just cases of the players wanting to come back early I would still put at least some responsibility on the management for not protecting them from themselves, but idk whats going on with the other situations.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,859

Post#35 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 am

Any updates on Dsj?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,401

Post#36 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:44 am

He's still out.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#37 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:03 am

76ciology wrote:Any updates on Dsj?

He's sprained his ankle three times in a month. I would not expect him back any time soon

This means he is probably playing tomorrow because **** this franchise
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Haywardhomer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#38 » by Haywardhomer » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:24 pm

I didn't see this posted already, so apologies if it has been.

Remember as well that the staff let Terry go back in after hurting his ankle (on what looked to be a pretty significant twist) to play on it late in the game early in the season...then he was out for a week plus. I thought it was incredibly stupid at the time to put him back in potentially further aggravating the injury, but they did it anyway.

Putting players back in before being completely healed has definitely been a theme this season.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#39 » by SWedd523 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:04 pm

So on one hand we complain about players being soft and sitting out a month with a broken nail.

On the other "how dare they put him back in with a twisted ankle"

It wasn't THAT long ago that Kobe was fixing dislocated fingers on the bench and checking back in to the game.

At what point do the players join the responsibility game? "Hey coach/doc, my ankle hurts. Don't think i can go back in"

Like I get that things are rough right now and it's easy to **** on the org (trust me I've been doing my share) but this situation seems blown way out of proportion
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#40 » by Bassman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:49 pm

My previous comment is more related to how the organization above coaching has zero connection or communication to the Hornet’s fan base, and particularly when these types of situations (or s*#t shows) develop. It makes me wonder what type of communication is going on directly from them to the players?

I’ve been a GM in business, within a Fortune 500 company. Leadership doesn’t require micro management of people or managers who report to you, but it does require engagement, listening, interacting and supporting. It requires setting expectations, goals, and holding people accountable. It requires extra push where and when needed. Obviously most of that happens inside the organization.

We can’t see what that looks like for the Hornets, BUT, when chatter starts happening from within the ranks, behind the scenes, and seeps outside the boundaries, THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM. Same occurs in any type of organization. It indicates a drop in confidence, possibly low morale, and definitely a lack of faith in the leadership. As fans, we are sort of like stockholders in a company. Mitch and MJ are not sharing info with their “stockholders”, all while we hear complaining coming from the key employees in a down year. In business that can get CEO’s ousted.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets